After Attending a Trump Rally,...

bigbird

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read. We need more people on both sides of the Political Spectrum to be like this. Like this person I think most people on both sides of the Political Spectrum are good people and want what is best for the country they just disagree on how to get there. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great read. We need more people on both sides of the Political Spectrum to be like this. Like this person I think most people on both sides of the Political Spectrum are good people and want what is best for the country they just disagree on how to get there. 

I don't even think it's that deep all the time.  The plurality of this country, maybe even the majority, are firmly center-right to center-left.  The problem we have is that the extremes of both parties tend to take over during primaries and appease the bases.  It's the loud extremes overrunning the more silent, but larger constituency. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't even think it's that deep all the time.  The plurality of this country, maybe even the majority, are firmly center-right to center-left.  The problem we have is that the extremes of both parties tend to take over during primaries and appease the bases.  It's the loud extremes overrunning the more silent, but larger constituency. 

The primary reason that I have been involved with this forum for years is to try to understand the people who think different from me. Unfortunately, many of us focus on our differences instead of our similarities. I still think that the people "representing" us are trying to get us to fight each other so that we don't team up and fight against them.

I think most Americans are good people, but we are living in a time of a corrupt media igniting flames daily. That alone divides us. Add to that the busy lives of folks and they simply believe the first thing they hear or see. Many, many need to read stories like Bird posted. For our country's sake.

Excellent article, and great insight into how much energy, charisma, and vision matter for leaders. The most compelling part for me is the noticeable difference in gloom and doom vs optimism and hope. I believe the majority in America are being led to divisiveness by a very loud and vocal minority. 

Democrats have an ass-kicking coming to them in November, and I think most of them will be utterly shocked when it happens.

I agree with Ms Borysenko, a Black Female, that we are the victims of the media tidal wave of crapola. 

The vast majority of Americans arent Deplorables like so many are 100% Invested in convincing us that this is true. It is not. 

I am beginning to see things like Ms Borysenko. I think we are far closer to re-electing DJT than many on my side can hallucinate.
Trump was not elected because America is the most racist country in the world. Trump was elected because there are many Americans that think 
that  the political leadership in this country are completely soldout to the 1%, the Elites. That they have turned their backs on the middle class and have NOTHING but contempt for us. 

The crowd thinking that way is growing folks, not shrinking. All the shrieking over the last three years has done nothing to sway one voter. In fact, it probably has in fact made those that support DJT (he being the Anti-Elitist etc) are actually getting stronger in their support and DJT is now seen as somewhat a victim by even more.

It's ridiculous to blame the media for the divisiveness of the country, when we have a president who spews out more than 25 tweets per day consisting of hateful lies, insults, baseless accusations and challenges to our democracy. 

In fact, Trump's venality, corruption and hatefulness are a feature of his political strategy.  They are designed to appeal to the worst instincts of his followers.  There is no way we will come together as a country as long as this demagogue holds office.

Yes, it is true that much of what divides us existed before Trump assumed office - the widening gap in wealth, an unequal justice system that favors the rich, the shrinking middle class, the difficulty of rising out of poverty. 

But Trump is doing nothing to address those issues.  He is actually making them worse. He is a narcissistic psychopath who bases his political power on pitting Americans against each other. Meanwhile he is doing his best to corrupt the democratic principles that differentiate us from failed and undemocratic countries, all in the interests of increasing his personal power.

While there is no guarantee the next administration will effect actual progress on our problems and help unite the country, there is absolutely no chance of improvement until this vile man leaves office.

That's the simple truth.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

It's ridiculous to blame the media for the divisiveness of the country, when we have a president who spews out more than 25 tweets per day consisting of hateful lies, insults, baseless accusations and challenges to our democracy. 

In fact, Trump's venality, corruption and hatefulness are a feature of his political strategy.  They are designed to appeal to the worst instincts of his followers.  There is no way we will come together as a country as long as this demagogue holds office.

Yes, it is true that much of what divides us existed before Trump assumed office - the widening gap in wealth, an unequal justice system that favors the rich, the difficulty of rising out of poverty. 

But Trump is doing nothing to address those issues.  He is actually making them worse. He is a narcissistic psychopath who bases his political power on pitting Americans against each other. Meanwhile he is doing his best to corrupt the democratic principles that differentiate us from failed and undemocratic countries, all in the interests of increasing his personal power.

While there is no guarantee the next administration will effect actual progress on our problems, but there is absolutely no chance of improvement until this vile man leaves office.

That's the simple truth.

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying, but it seems that in the end you are saying, "While Trump is POTUS I will continue to be full of hate and not be supportive of anything his side does." To me, that only makes things worse for you and for the country.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, bigbird said:

almost to a person all the libs or dems i know are more central than far left. the extreme right still disgusts me but so do many of the far left folks. until both sides move back to the center i believe america is screwed. the only people that seem to really be doing well are politicians and rich folks. and we are to blame because we as a country allow it.

18 minutes ago, Grumps said:

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying, but it seems that in the end you are saying, "While Trump is POTUS I will continue to be full of hate and not be supportive of anything his side does." To me, that only makes things worse for you and for the country.

No you are wrong. 

For the sake of the country and simple rationality, I will support any policy or legislation that is beneficial, no matter who originates it. 

Trump is the one who is full of hate and he's not going to change.   That's my point.

18 minutes ago, Grumps said:

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No you are wrong. 

For the sake of the country and simple rationality, I will support any policy or legislation that is beneficial, no matter who originates it. 

Trump is the one who is full of hate and he's not going to change.   That's my point.

to be fair trump is as full of hate as anyone i have ever seen but do not kid yourself that there are a ton of people that do hate trump. politics has turned into the ironbowl. we have our teams we pull for and we give our side a pass while basically saying screw the others. i believe we have gotten to the point where it is not what is right and what is wrong but who is winning.this is what politics has become.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, bigbird said:

That’s exceptionally well-crafted propaganda. Most folks won’t have a problem with the basic message that there are nice people to be found at Trump rallies— for many of us that includes our friends and families. Perhaps not for this person. It sounds like she’s kept herself sheltered from Trump supporters, or at least that’s what she portrays. 

In the end, though, the take away she wants the reader to leave with is not that we need to be kinder and more understanding with each other— that message is true regardless of party— but rather the subtle push for the so-called “#walkaway” movement— leave the Democrats, not be kinder, fair minded Democrats, if that’s where you fall on the spectrum. This was very well done. Gotta admire her craft. 

She says nothing about the message of the rally or which lines got the strongest response- only that they think Trump “has their  backs.” How exactly? What is he protecting them from? 

I have no doubt I could go to a Trump rally and meet folks who were pleasant to me, unless I wore an opposing message on my person. I’m also confident I could have a beer or coffee with rally goers after the rally and maintain a pleasant conversation from which I gained greater insights into their beliefs. If that was truly an epiphany for her she’s in the wrong the business. But now she’s a “conservative media” darling. So I guess that’s mission accomplished.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s exceptionally well-crafted propaganda. Most folks won’t have a problem with the basic message that there are nice people to be found at Trump rallies— for many of us that includes our friends and families. Perhaps not for this person. It sounds like she’s kept herself sheltered from Trump supporters, or at least that’s what she portrays. 

In the end, though, the take away she wants the reader to leave with is not that we need to be kinder and more understanding with each other— that message is true regardless of party— but rather the subtle push for the so-called “#walkaway” movement— leave the Democrats, not be kinder, fair minded Democrats, if that’s where you fall on the spectrum. This was very well done. Gotta admire her craft. 

She says nothing about the message of the rally or which lines got the strongest response- only that they think Trump “has their  backs.” How exactly? What is he protecting them from? 

I have no doubt I could go to a Trump rally and meet folks who were pleasant to me, unless I wore an opposing message on my person. I’m also confident I could have a beer or coffee with rally goers after the rally and maintain a pleasant conversation from which I gained greater insights into their beliefs. If that was truly an epiphany for her she’s in the wrong the business. But now she’s a “conservative media” darling. So I guess that’s mission accomplished.

So you think the article is not truthful?

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So you think the article is not truthful?

In what sense? I’m not saying she fabricated her experience. But what’s its purpose? Was her prior experience of Trump folks so incredibly limited that she was shocked she found people who were not total caricatures? And that experience somehow led her to specifically and repeatedly advocate the #walkaway movement, complete with hashtag? Attending a Trump rally was such a spiritual experience that she immediately decided to leave the Democratic Party? Why exactly? What was that party choice based on? I don’t feel any real connection to the Democratic Party other than it’s less crazy than the Republican Party, so I understand why people are independents aside from this fabricated textbook propaganda #walkaway movement. If she was somehow motivated to be an independent, that’s easy enough to understand. But why plug this Republican fabricated “movement.” It’s targeting a few different audiences, not least of which are those that may not be wholeheartedly MAGA, but continue to lean that way because they caricature Democrats as hateful TDS fanatics. 

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

In what sense? I’m not saying she fabricated her experience. But what’s its purpose? Was her prior experience of Trump folks so incredibly limited that she was shocked she found people who were not total caricatures? And that experience somehow led her to specifically and repeatedly advocate the #walkaway movement, complete with hashtag? Attending a Trump rally was such a spiritual experience that she immediately decided to leave the Democratic Party? Why exactly? What was that party choice based on? I don’t feel any real connection to the Democratic Party other than it’s less crazy than the Republican Party, so I understand why people are independents aside from this fabricated textbook propaganda #walkaway movement. If she was somehow motivated to be an independent, that’s easy enough to understand. But why plug this Republican fabricated “movement.” It’s targeting a few different audiences, not least of which are those that may not be wholeheartedly MAGA, but continue to lean that way because they caricature Democrats as hateful TDS fanatics. 

When you used the term "propaganda" I assumed that you meant that the article was untruthful--that she was not a democrat who was surprised to find out that everyone who doesn't hate Trump is not racist. I certainly think that some Trump supporters fit the caricature, but so what?

3 minutes ago, Grumps said:

When you used the term "propaganda" I assumed that you meant that the article was untruthful--that she was not a democrat who was surprised to find out that everyone who doesn't hate Trump is not racist. I certainly think that some Trump supporters fit the caricature, but so what?

Not knowing her I don’t know what her politics have been over the last 20 years. Did she register as a Dem 20 years ago? Maybe so. How closely does she follow politics? Trump? I have no idea.

But this is not written as an experience piece as much as a subtle persuasive piece. And there’s no real substance that would make many Democrats choose to #walkaway. But if you’re a Trump voter who’s uncomfortable with him, including his lying, she’s telling you the other side— based on her, get this, knitting group — is so hateful and crazy you can feel better about staying with Trump, even though you don’t feel that MAGA magic as much as the true believers. She didn’t mention a single extreme person or moment from the rally. Not one. No crazies there. No hate. Not like her hateful knitting group that apparently seethes while knitting. Nope. Just friendly folks in red hats.

This piece isn’t about taking a balanced view of Trump supporters— that isn’t really that hard to do— something like 33 Iowa counties flipped from Obama to Trump. Interview those folks for insights. According to her “experience” the anger and hate is only experienced with her Democrat friends. I don’t knit, but while I see those folks on Twitter I don’t know any in real life. I know Trump supporters and I know folks who are opposed to him, but they don’t seethe and don’t express hatred of his supporters— many are married to them or have them as parents, and I don’t know anyone that has disowned family members over it— read about it. Know it happens, but it’s hardly defining as she indicates.

5 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

to be fair trump is as full of hate as anyone i have ever seen but do not kid yourself that there are a ton of people that do hate trump. politics has turned into the ironbowl. we have our teams we pull for and we give our side a pass while basically saying screw the others. i believe we have gotten to the point where it is not what is right and what is wrong but who is winning.this is what politics has become.

Post of the Day...:cheer::cheer::cheer:

30 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Not knowing her I don’t know what her politics have been over the last 20 years. Did she register as a Dem 20 years ago? Maybe so. How closely does she follow politics? Trump? I have no idea.

But this is not written as an experience piece as much as a subtle persuasive piece. And there’s no real substance that would make many Democrats choose to #walkaway. But if you’re a Trump voter who’s uncomfortable with him, including his lying, she’s telling you the other side— based on her, get this, knitting group — is so hateful and crazy you can feel better about staying with Trump, even though you don’t feel that MAGA magic as much as the true believers. She didn’t mention a single extreme person or moment from the rally. Not one. No crazies there. No hate. Not like her hateful knitting group that apparently seethes while knitting. Nope. Just friendly folks in red hats.

This piece isn’t about taking a balanced view of Trump supporters— that isn’t really that hard to do— something like 33 Iowa counties flipped from Obama to Trump. Interview those folks for insights. According to her “experience” the anger and hate is only experienced with her Democrat friends. I don’t knit, but while I see those folks on Twitter I don’t know any in real life. I know Trump supporters and I know folks who are opposed to him, but they don’t seethe and don’t express hatred of his supporters— many are married to them or have them as parents, and I don’t know anyone that has disowned family members over it— read about it. Know it happens, but it’s hardly defining as she indicates.

Thanks for your reply!

38 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

According to her “experience” the anger and hate is only experienced with her Democrat friends.

Well to be fair, we do see that daily on this forum. 

13 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Well to be fair, we do see that daily on this forum. 

You’re the crazy extreme on the far right. You see what crazy crap those crazy people see.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

You’re the crazy extreme on the far right. You see what crazy crap those crazy people see.

You know better.  Dialogue with hate filled nuts like you is useless. At the end of the day you're still a hate filled nut. 

27 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know better.  Dialogue with hate filled nuts like you is useless. At the end of the day you're still a hate filled nut. 

I’ll pray for you. Anywhere, anytime— no one can stop me. 

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’ll pray for you. Anywhere, anytime— no one can stop me. 

Well Thank You! But, you might want to hide that from the court. 

Archived