Free Agency - Where Things Stand

AURex

The school nor conference can stop a coach from jumping from one institution to another. 

The exact same rules should be in place for the people who make those coaches millionaires 20 times over.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So does that mean the graduate transfer rule would go away?

In reality the current landscape grants you 1 free transfer- but you have to graduate first. That's kind of the point of college, after all.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

The school nor conference can stop a coach from jumping from one institution to another. 

You could easily put a noncompete clause in the coach's contract to bar him from leaving for a particular school (that's common in the corporate/business world). And the only reason I would say the school could block one other school from getting the transfer would be because of the way a recruiting battle played out. For instance, had we gotten Pickens and he wound up transferring I'd let him go anywhere he wants except for Georgia. Just a way to stop shady shenanigans during and after recruiting.

32 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You could easily put a noncompete clause in the coach's contract to bar him from leaving for a particular school (that's common in the corporate/business world). And the only reason I would say the school could block one other school from getting the transfer would be because of the way a recruiting battle played out. For instance, had we gotten Pickens and he wound up transferring I'd let him go anywhere he wants except for Georgia. Just a way to stop shady shenanigans during and after recruiting.

I still don't agree. I dont think that there should be any limitations on destinations for transfers.

And yeah coaches can have non compete clauses... But they would still do it. Do you think for one instant if Dabo had a non compete clause in his contract for Alabama, and bama broke the bank to come get Dabo, that the non compete clause would stop Dabo? Not for one millisecond. It would just cost Alabama a TON to buy out the contract but they would. 

You cannot be niave enough to believe a clause would prevent one coach from leaving school A for school B. Clause or not if Bama and Dabo both wanted it to happen it would...without question.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:17 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

The exact same rules should be in place for the people who make those coaches millionaires 20 times over.

If the same rules are in place then players/other schools would need to have to pay buyouts to leave.

Auburn spends about 150k a year per football player.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

If the same rules are in place then players/other schools would need to have to pay buyouts to leave.

Auburn spends about 150k a year per football player.

And the football program netted $65 million in profit over the last three years. Just barely getting by like that, I can see why we should be up in arms about a handful of non-starters- some of whom being given the idea by the coaches themselves- leaving the 85-man roster.

I just want to point out that the money made by football goes a loooong way toward helping us win NC in other sports that are not the bread winners.  This free agency that is coming to the big 3 pay sports will cut the legs on a lot of other sports. 

The simple way to see this whole thing is to put yourself in the player's situation. Don't kid yourself into thinking you would not be exploring all available options to do better for yourself. It's no different than your everyday job. If something comes along that you feel is better then you would take it. As a fan of the team I would love for them to stay. As a fan of the individual I want them to succeed not matter what that looks like. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

I just want to point out that the money made by football goes a loooong way toward helping us win NC in other sports that are not the bread winners.  This free agency that is coming to the big 3 pay sports will cut the legs on a lot of other sports. 

I don't favor the free agency that is coming. However, I think it's yet to be determined if ticket sales and TV revenue will decline because of it.

What I do fear is the "sell your image/autograph" side of it. As mentioned previously, the teams with the richest boosters will almost certainly be in a bidding war with other teams over how many $1,000 pictures are guaranteed to be sold. Every 5* prospect in the country will be rich years before he's ever drafted into the NFL.  I can easily see that killing competition and fan interest.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't favor the free agency that is coming. However, I think it's yet to be determined if ticket sales and TV revenue will decline because of it

What I do fear is the "sell your image/autograph" side of it. As mentioned previously, the teams with the richest boosters will almost certainly be in a bidding war with other teams over how many $1,000 pictures are guaranteed to be sold. Every 5* prospect in the country will be rich years before he's ever drafted into the NFL.  I can easily see that killing competition and fan interest.

Oh so you mean the top 5 or 6 programs in the country would start to take 80% of the top high school talent? 

What would something like that do to the world of college football? How would the rest survive? 

It would surely be an end to the world of college football as we know it...

OH WAIT....whats that you say? That is how its been for some time... Yet college football survives...

In reality the main thing different is the money will be public.

6 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

How?

This free agency thing won’t be as big a deal as most think it will. The only guys who’ll transfer are the ones who never got regular playing time

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

This free agency thing won’t be as big a deal as most think it will. The only guys who’ll transfer are the ones who never got regular playing time

Unless a richer school promises to provide a market for 1,000 T-shirts at $500 each. If Harvard, Yale and Stanford want to become the top football schools in the country, they'll have boosters with the money to do exactly that.

19 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And the football program netted $65 million in profit over the last three years. Just barely getting by like that, I can see why we should be up in arms about a handful of non-starters- some of whom being given the idea by the coaches themselves- leaving the 85-man roster.

I was addressing the common used argument about coaches. They can leave, and the university is compensated when they leave. So if it was the same. People leave that part out.

Nice, 65 million. Then we can stop taking 6-7 million a year out of students tuition money to support the athletic department.Which I'm sure you have read is increasing at Auburn while donations and ticket sales have decreased. Or at least let the student body vote on if they want a tuition hike and their money going to athletics. Like they did with the student wellness center, I voted for and helped pay for that facility cause it benefited all students and the campus as a whole. Was glad when I went back for another degree that I got to use it.

And you don't think if this was in effect now that some OU boosters and Lincoln Riley couldn't show up and snag starting wide-outs at Auburn if they wanted?

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Or the ones that were not highly recruited, or didn't get the university they wanted originally, then develop into talented players. Then they go fill holes at championship caliber, or higher profile universities.

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Oh so you mean the top 5 or 6 programs in the country would start to take 80% of the top high school talent? 

What would something like that do to the world of college football? How would the rest survive? 

It would surely be an end to the world of college football as we know it...

OH WAIT....whats that you say? That is how its been for some time... Yet college football survives...

In reality the main thing different is the money will be public.

Here is where it will most likely happen. Like you said the money will be public. This means people will see what they are getting and articles will be written about it. More awareness will be brought to how much of student tuition is being used at universities to subsidize athletic programs. Auburn is one of the profitable ones and it is still taking the students for about 6 million a year. At some universities students are paying more than $2000 a year to support the athletic program.

So parents will see X player getting their full scholarship, then getting all their perks, and see where tuition goes up and higher percentages of it go to the athletic department and they are not going to be happy. People will realize that they paid almost an entire years worth of tuition money in athletic fee's by graduation. Parents wont send their kids to school there, or kids will choose to go elsewhere (cause who wants to repay 8000 dollars that didn't benefit them). Think this type of awareness will bring on a bigger academic vs athletic war.

So people will say if the boosters want to pay them fine, why should my or my child's education pay for them also. Lot of athletic programs will die without state and student subsidies.

3 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I was addressing the common used argument about coaches. They can leave, and the university is compensated when they leave. So if it was the same. People leave that part out.

Nice, 65 million. Then we can stop taking 6-7 million a year out of students tuition money to support the athletic department.Which I'm sure you have read is increasing at Auburn while donations and ticket sales have decreased. Or at least let the student body vote on if they want a tuition hike and their money going to athletics. Like they did with the student wellness center, I voted for and helped pay for that facility cause it benefited all students and the campus as a whole. Was glad when I went back for another degree that I got to use it.

And you don't think if this was in effect now that some OU boosters and Lincoln Riley couldn't show up and snag starting wide-outs at Auburn if they wanted?

Yeah, the tuition hikes are a negative. No sugarcoating that. So are the declining donations, but that's tied mostly to performance (by coaches and admins alike).

Of all the sports, baseball has the best set up in my opinion. Sign out of high school and start to get paid immediately (a lot of money for a few, a little money for most). You’re officially a pro and can do what you want. The disadvantage is if baseball doesn’t work out, you're going back to school years later if at all.  Or, go to college and not get paid but get 3-4 years of experience and development while working towards a degree. College baseball players cannot complain about not getting paid or owning their likeness because they chose to forego the pro route out of high school. The key to that system is that MLB funds a minor league system. The NFL has the greatest minor league system in the world in CFB and doesn’t pay a dime for it. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Unless a richer school promises to provide a market for 1,000 T-shirts at $500 each. If Harvard, Yale and Stanford want to become the top football schools in the country, they'll have boosters with the money to do exactly that.

You still have to qualify academically to get in those schools. A high percentage of athletes aren’t qualifying so nobody has to worry about that

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Or the ones that were not highly recruited, or didn't get the university they wanted originally, then develop into talented players. Then they go fill holes at championship caliber, or higher profile universities.

The way a lot of athletes are is if a school they were interested in never offered them then they wouldn’t want to join them later on, they’d want to beat them if given the chance to play them

Not to be political (because I'm not stating a stance) but genuinely curious.....isn't all of this conversation moot if Bernie were to get elected?

I mean how's CFB gonna be effected when it's "FREE SCHOOL FOR EVERYONE!!!!!"

Heck, I'm sure that's for kids who don't even qualify right?  I mean if school's free anyway, the next step is to not make students abide by those dusty old archaic rules of actually having to make the grades too, because where's the social fairness in that?  

That'll Change college football.....for real.  AMIRITE!?!?

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not to be political (because I'm not stating a stance) but genuinely curious.....isn't all of this conversation moot if Bernie were to get elected?

I mean how's CFB gonna be effected when it's "FREE SCHOOL FOR EVERYONE!!!!!"

Heck, I'm sure that's for kids who don't even qualify right?  I mean if school's free anyway, the next step is to not make students abide by those dusty old archaic rules of actually having to make the grades too, because where's the social fairness in that?  

Change.  AMIRITE!?!?

Not to be political then you went completely political my guy lol

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Not to be political then you went completely political my guy lol

Yeah, I'm a bit facetious because there's a few on here that have taken it political, and also so personal, that they're practically at the point of "meet me behind the gym".

So I figured since this discussion (along with "The Bag Man" discussion) are being taken so seriously, I thought I'd throw a curveball in here.

Again, I didn't state a position (though I admit, anyone who knows me has a good idea of mine) but it's a serious possibility.  So since we're all supposed to take these conversations so seriously then;  seriously......what if?  It COULD happen, after all, and that IS his position so, how would THAT affect this whole situation?  

I believe this is the wrong way of solving the issue.   I’m a fan of the minor league system for all sports.   If you decide to go to college, you should play three years and then enter the pros.   College baseball has been under this model and it works out just fine.  There is already a minor league basketball league, so the only league needing to get onboard is football 

On 2/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, LKEEL75 said:

This is going to become free agency as soon as they include pay for likeness to these kids.  Just think about it.  Kid comes to AU plays and does really good.  UAt contacts him (I know they are not SUPPOSED TO but it will happen) and says if you come here we can offer you X jersey sells & a new car with dealership Y.  AU has to then counter with something equal or greater.  This will no longer be a amateur sport.  All of college sports will become professionals because it will be across the board.  Offer X jersey sells to this softball player; offer Y tv ads for this equestrian rider; offer Z for this speedo pictures for this swimmer.  

Get ready for a massive change in college sports.  Personally I am not a fan of what I see coming.  I hope I am wrong!

It’s going to start well before the kid does anything good. It’ll start when he’s a high school recruit and being given a contract to represent Yellawood or Apple * if he signs with Auburn. Nike ,Oregon. Etc...... the game will go to s***. 

Archived