Minneapolis police kill unresisting black man

The chaos and destruction of the past few days would likely have been avoided if the officer would’ve been arrested within hours of the crime. But “officials” told us we had to have “all of the information”  and “wait until a thorough investigation” had occurred. Yet a protester was arrested immediately last night for attempted murder for allegedly throwing a Molotov  cocktail at cops. There truly is a huge double standard a and hypocrisy in our justice system and it’s beyond time to change it. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The chaos and destruction of the past few days would likely have been avoided if the officer would’ve been arrested within hours of the crime. But “officials” told us we had to have “all of the information”  and “wait until a thorough investigation” had occurred. Yet a protester was arrested immediately last night for attempted murder for allegedly throwing a Molotov  cocktail at cops. There truly is a huge double standard a and hypocrisy in our justice system and it’s beyond time to change it. 

It's funny how some just cannot see double standards. But when you ask them about it, wow, they can concoct a juicy double-somersault-with-backflip-and-a-pike finish RATIONALIZATION in a nano second tho. 

ON THIS FORUM: You know, when you get to a certain level, you will just come here for the comedy. The Ever-Daily-Shifting-Definitions-and-Terms, The strawman arguments,  are both only allowed to flow one way. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

It's funny how some just cannot see double standards. But when you ask them about it, wow, they can concoct a juicy double-somersault-with-backflip-and-a-pike finish RATIONALIZATION in a nano second tho. 

ON THIS FORUM: You know, when you get to a certain level, you will just come here for the comedy. The Ever-Daily-Shifting-Definitions-and-Terms, The strawman arguments,  are both only allowed to flow one way. 

There is no justification for what the cop did based on what I've seen. His day will come. There is no justification for the destruction and looting of property based on what I've seen. Those looting and destroying day will come. 

Some folks need to study Ghandi and how he approached civil rights. 

By Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., 16 April 1963

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s 1967 speech at Stanford. Here, he expounds on his nonviolent philosophy and methodology:

"I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention."

NASHVILLE (BP) -- Southern Baptist leaders have published a statement grieving the recent death of George Floyd and calling for the end of "racial inequity in the distribution of justice in our country."

The statement, co-authored by SBC president J.D. Greear and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary president Jamie Dew was unanimously signed by all SBC officers, entity heads and state convention executive directors.

Statement on the death of George Floyd

As a convention of churches committed to the equality and dignity of all people, Southern Baptists grieve the death of George Floyd, who was killed May 25, 2020, in Minneapolis, Minn.

While all must grieve, we understand that in the hearts of our fellow citizens of color, incidents like these connect to a long history of unequal justice in our country, going back to the grievous Jim Crow and slavery eras. The images and information we have available to us in this case are horrific and remind us that there is much more work to be done to ensure that there is not even a hint of racial inequity in the distribution of justice in our country. We grieve to see examples of the misuse of force, and call for these issues to be addressed with speed and justice.

While we thank God for our law enforcement officers that bravely risk their lives for the sake of others and uphold justice with dignity and integrity, we also lament when some law enforcement officers misuse their authority and bring unnecessary harm on the people they are called to protect. We further grieve with our minority brothers and sisters in the wake of George Floyd’s death, pray for his family and friends and greatly desire to see the misuse of force and any inequitable distributions of justice come to an end.

Throughout the Old and New Testaments, the Bible speaks to matters of justice and human dignity. We are taught by Scripture that human beings are distinct among the rest of creation as those beings which bear the divine image. From the beginning of life to the end, all human beings, both male and female--of all ethnicities, colors and ages--are sacred beings that God values and loves.

Throughout the law, the prophets, the gospels and the entire canon of Scripture, murder is condemned and God’s people are called to protect the vulnerable. The Bible further condemns injustice and the misuse of authority and force. And in the example of Jesus Christ, God’s people are called to love others, care for their needs, grieve with them in brokenness and labor for the well-being of our neighbor. To follow Christ is to follow in these examples He puts before us.

Therefore, as a matter of Christian obedience and devotion, followers of Jesus Christ cannot remain silent when our brothers and sisters, friends and/or people we seek to win for Christ are mistreated, abused or killed unnecessarily.

Therefore, we pray for our local, state, and national leaders as they seek justice, and call on them to act quickly and diligently to ensure that these situations are brought to an end. As a people, Southern Baptists stand ready to help towards that end. May God give us His favor, help and strength in this effort.

Co-Authors:

James K. Dew, Jr.
President, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

J.D. Greear
President, Southern Baptist Convention
Pastor, The Summit Church, Raleigh-Durham, N.C.

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm running off emotion right now because I'm the hunted. When it's not you it's easy to sit back and chill. You can see plain as day what happened but they want blood work and his background because they want to assassinate his character. When terriost stuff got big you best believe some new laws were created, other laws updated because look at who is the threat. You could actually kill a terrorist and it wouldn't be a big deal. Wouldn't have people saying wait for due process and all of that. Wouldn't be worried about well have to charge him low to make sure he gets something....

But we all know these laws weren't created with us in mind. 

Man, Cole, I don't know really what to say to you and the other members of this board who are of color. I have a very easy life when compared to you and everyone else. I am a straight, white male who has never had to worry about being shot or arrested when walking out of my home just because of the color of my skin. I've also been aware of this situation my entire life with my stepdad who is black and I remember him telling me stories when I was younger about how members of my own family would call him the n-word and worse. But even with me being aware of it all, I don't think that in my life I've really taken it as serious as I am now. This whole situation with George Floyd has me shaken to my core and I'm so pissed off and sad at the same time. So from the bottom of my heart you have my sincere apologies that you have to go through this. I know it's not much and doesn't change a damn thing about our broken system but I wanted to let you know that.

I've been back and forth with an Auburn grad on twitter the last couple of days because he commented on an article saying, "do nothing wrong and you won't get in trouble." Unfortunately, not everybody has that luxury of just doing the right thing and being safe. If the past half-week has done it's open my eyes even more clear to that. People shouldn't have to fear that they're gonna die just because they write a bad check, for speeding, for walking alone at night, for walking alone during the day, or for just being born. 😢

Now, I'm going to unplug. I just saw some of your posts and felt the need to share my thoughts with you and the rest of the board who feels like reading it.

59 minutes ago, creed said:

There is no justification for what the cop did based on what I've seen. His day will come. There is no justification for the destruction and looting of property based on what I've seen. Those looting and destroying day will come. 

I've been thinking almost constantly about what happened to George Floyd and why it happened and what I can do to make this situation better and what I can do to try to prevent anything like this from ever happening again. I am white. I am incredibly ignorant to what it is like to be black in this country, though I seek to understand. One thing I have noticed from white people is a tendency, when trying to be supportive of our black friends, to follow-up a supportive statement like "There is no justification for what the cop did based on what I've seen" with a second sentence like "There is no justification for the destruction and looting of property based on what I've seen."

Why do we do that? There are clearly two completely separate issues here, #1 The killing of George Floyd, who was treated by the police officer as sub-human, and #2 Subsequent riots/looting. Why do white people feel the need to type out the second sentence? Why, after showing support for #BlackLivesMatter, do we then type #AllLivesMatter? Is there a reason we can't just support our brothers and sisters who are darker than we are without throwing in a plug for our own race?

creed, I'm not trying to call you out as much as I am trying to understand my own thoughts/behavior. One thing that I think I can do to help right now is to support my black friends and the black community without that second sentence.

I am so sad for the family of George Floyd and for everyone who has to wake up today with more fear of how they may be treated today strictly because of how other people perceive them because of their skin color. I am so sorry for my own inclination to want to add that second sentence, and am sorry for what that inclination might be saying about the condition of my heart.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts."  "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

Apologies if already pointed out before. While not reading back through this entire thread, it just hit me this morning looking at the officer's name. Chauvin...wow, smh.

chau·vin·ist
/ˈSHōvənəst/

noun
  1. a person displaying aggressive or exaggerated patriotism.
adjective
  1. showing or relating to excessive or prejudiced loyalty or support for a particular group or cause.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:28 AM, AUDub said:

Further on this, Nola.

From reading the statutes, it looks like what differentiates the murder from the manslaughter charge is gross negligence vs. negligence.

Manslaughter - blow a red light and hit a pedestrian at a busy intersection while driving because you were posting on AUFamily on your phone.

Murder - blow a red light and hit a pedestrian at a busy intersection while tearing down the road at 100 mph in a 30 mph zone while posting on AUFamily and taking an absolute ripper from a bong.

Slew of murder categories across states. Always something to learn.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

I've been thinking almost constantly about what happened to George Floyd and why it happened and what I can do to make this situation better and what I can do to try to prevent anything like this from ever happening again. I am white. I am incredibly ignorant to what it is like to be black in this country, though I seek to understand. One thing I have noticed from white people is a tendency, when trying to be supportive of our black friends, to follow-up a supportive statement like "There is no justification for what the cop did based on what I've seen" with a second sentence like "There is no justification for the destruction and looting of property based on what I've seen."

Why do we do that? There are clearly two completely separate issues here, #1 The killing of George Floyd, who was treated by the police officer as sub-human, and #2 Subsequent riots/looting. Why do white people feel the need to type out the second sentence? Why, after showing support for #BlackLivesMatter, do we then type #AllLivesMatter? Is there a reason we can't just support our brothers and sisters who are darker than we are without throwing in a plug for our own race?

creed, I'm not trying to call you out as much as I am trying to understand my own thoughts/behavior. One thing that I think I can do to help right now is to support my black friends and the black community without that second sentence.

I am so sad for the family of George Floyd and for everyone who has to wake up today with more fear of how they may be treated today strictly because of how other people perceive them because of their skin color. I am so sorry for my own inclination to want to add that second sentence, and am sorry for what that inclination might be saying about the condition of my heart.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts."  "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

grumps sometimes you  really hack my lily and then you post something like this that in this moment makes me just love the hell out of you. and yes i am man enough to say it. i need to remember that no matter how much folks can disagree we are all mostly decent human beings.

An interesting take from a former prosecutor:

They switch gears and talk about Flynn at about the 2:15 mark if you’re not interested.

8 hours ago, Grumps said:

I don't feel like you're calling me out you just might know all the reasoning i put into my statement. From my perspective there is no excuse for what happened to Mr. Floyd. All the cops involved should face severe justice. I have no problem with 98% if the demonstrators who were were peacefully exercising their right to be heard. But I saw an elderly black woman this morning crying after she saw what had happened to her community and asking where can i go to shop for the things I desperately need like groceries, medicine, etc. Her community, her property, her wealth had been destroyed  by a group of bad cops and the 2% of demonstrators who are rioters. What do you tell this lady?

I’m going to ruffle a lot of feathers. But I’m gonna be very consistent or inconsistent. You can decide. In Charlotte a couple years ago we lambasted Trump. Me included. For saying there are “very fine people “ protesting with Nazis. We claimed if you rally with Nazis you’re a damn Nazi. I stand by that. It goes both ways though. I don’t know what percentage of protesters are just attending the riots and watching the bad guys set fires and destroy property and attack innocents. If you are going to continue to be a part of that, you can’t be too damn good yourself. It’s gone too damn far. 

Congratulations to Miami law enforcement and citizens. Thank you for showing a better way through this. 

In Miami, when protesters approached, the police officers knelt and asked for forgiveness. People began praying and crying. This is beautiful. God bless Miami. Hats off to these men and women in uniform. #Humanity

Screenshot_20200531-152606~2.png

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

I’m going to ruffle a lot of feathers. But I’m gonna be very consistent or inconsistent. You can decide. In Charlotte a couple years ago we lambasted Trump. Me included. For saying there are “very fine people “ protesting with Nazis. We claimed if you rally with Nazis you’re a damn Nazi. I stand by that. It goes both ways though. I don’t know what percentage of protesters are just attending the riots and watching the bad guys set fires and destroy property and attack innocents. If you are going to continue to be a part of that, you can’t be too damn good yourself. It’s gone too damn far. 

I look at it differently I guess. I see peaceful demonstrators unknowingly being a Trojan horse for individuals with an agenda to destroy a community. However, the root cause for the destruction falls on the shoulders of a group of bad cops who decided Mr. Floyd should not be treated like a person.

13 minutes ago, creed said:

I look at it differently I guess. I see peaceful demonstrators unknowingly being a Trojan horse for individuals with an agenda to destroy a community. However, the root cause for the destruction falls on the shoulders of a group of bad cops who decided Mr. Floyd should not be treated like a person.

The root cause is irrelevant when buildings are burning and firefighters are being attacked. Store owners are being beaten with 2x4s for trying to protect their property....it goes on.  

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Congratulations to Miami law enforcement and citizens. Thank you for showing a better way through this. 

In Miami, when protesters approached, the police officers knelt and asked for forgiveness. People began praying and crying. This is beautiful. God bless Miami. Hats off to these men and women in uniform. #Humanity

Screenshot_20200531-152606~2.png

what a class act..................

And in Flint, Michigan there is another display of support by law enforcement. This is how the healing can begin. 

12 hours ago, creed said:

Oh, I totally agree with you about peaceful protests. It does good for all and commits no negatives. The rioting and looting, that is never going to end well. You hurt the businesses in your neighborhood. You kill the jobs in your neighborhood. You turn everyone against your POV, etc. 

The reason it wont end well is the Double Standards are sticking out like a sore thumb. Time to build a case for Chauvin. Death for Floyd? The murderer is treated with respect. The innocent fellow is roughed up and killed for nothing., maybe a fake $20 that he may well have not known was even fake? 

The double standards dont just run one way tho. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/251877/murder-victims-in-the-us-by-race-ethnicity-and-gender/

Police Shot and Killed 2.8% of the Black deaths by gunshot.

Police Shot and Killed 6.55% of the White deaths by gunshot.

I think there is definitely a problem and and even worse perception problem. 

Put that against incarceration rates, and wow, see the imbalance. 

Incarceration prevention in the United States - Wikipedia

The Drug War, Mass Incarceration and Race (English/Spanish) | Drug ...

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think the bad cop was charged and arrested before a decent amount of the destruction of businesses and stealing occurred. The arrest didn’t seem to stop it at all. 

Archived