Back again

bigbird

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Waiting till we get the initial culture final reading to make a determination on treatment vs surgery. We should have that by this afternoon. Surgery say that after reading the ultrasound he has pretty much exhausted his available neck/upper chest veins and that's why they don't want to do a replacement. He's had port catheters in his subclavian, internal and external jugular on both sides and all are showing signs of scarring. They are afraid of further damage to them. They told us we are treating him to frequently and using the port too much and might need to stop his prophylaxis treatments and only treat him for severe bleeds. Yes, the same necessary, permanent disability and possible death preventing treatments. That makes a whole lotta frickin sense, huh?

To exacerbate things, since he was diagnosed with CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome) on our last admission, the docs don't want him to be on opioids so they are just giving him Tylenol and tramodol (which is like tic-tacs for him). He's still have pretty bad breakthrough pain but they told him he just needs to manage it better through deep breathing, guided imagery, or medication. He literally looked at Amanda after they left and said, "WTF".   

Since it's covid season, he can only have one parent and no visitors. I typically stay with him because I have  medical background but couldn't this time so Amanda is with him and we're trying to tag team the docs and their decisions.

So to recap,

James is in bad pain

Docs aren't managing pain at all

No decision on treatment or surgery

Veins show scar tissue and are worn out (at 14)

Can't leave the room

Only one parent and no visitors allowed

But on the bright side...

tenor.gif

And I got to play 3 hours of uninterrupted Super Mario Bros with my daughter last night followed up by Wii sports resort where I dominated her in ping-pong...and was embarrassed in bowling.😁

Damn.  Just Damn.  :(

I am so sorry to hear that.  I sorry that I haven't been active enough on this forum to have stayed caught up, but what is the underlying medical problem?

And what is about CRPS - something I've never heard of  - that precludes treatment with opioids?  (I agree about the Tramadol.)

Praying for the best.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bigbird said:

He's still have pretty bad breakthrough pain but they told him he just needs to manage it better through deep breathing, guided imagery, or medication. He literally looked at Amanda after they left and said, "WTF".

WTF, indeed. I've had football coaches tell me to rub some dirt on it with more compassion. Jeez. 

Thanks for the update. Tell James there are a bunch of weirdo Auburn people ready to egg some Teslas and European luxury cars in the MD lot right outside his window. Just say the word. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, TigerCatcher said:

I gotta ask what's the dog's name?  

Dexter

This too shall pass. Your AU family is pulling for you, your wife and James!

Prayers sent to the Big Tiger upstairs! 🙏🙏🙏  Peace be with your entire family   

Sorry I’m a little late on this one. 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, bigbird said:

Admitted last night.  Waiting on cultures, but is looking like a port infection.

Appreciate any prayers lifted for us. Thank you.

IMG_20200622_110243.jpg

Bird, I'm so sorry to catch up now to your news. Deep prayers from Yellowstone and lots of love. James...you are the epitome of resilient overcoming. This is for you and your superhero parents. Philippians 4:19 & Numbers 6: 24-26. ❤🦋🌍

20200622_095315.jpg

Praying for healing and comfort for James and your family Bird. So sorry he is going through this. 

James 5:15

And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. 

Oh man,  I am so sorry to hear about this.    You must be a wreck.

From someone who lives in pain,   no meds  really help  unless  it puts you to sleep.   I manage pain through distraction.  When you are just laying in bed thinking about the pain   you feel it sooo much more.  He probably doesn't feel like doing ANYTHING,  so find something that doesn't take a lot of effort that he truly loves top do.   maybe ...video games.  Chatting with his buddies online.   Something to stop him from thinking about the pain.    For me any solid distraction  is 4 times as strong as any meds  (or at least any meds that don't just knock me out). 

Wish I knew some magic words that would help.  

Getting discharged. He is gonna have to be on antibiotics for the next 12 days. He'll be hooked up 24 hours a day but at least he's home. They decided they couldn't do anything for his pain due to the CRPS and basically told us we need to find some way to handle it.  Besides the Lyrica he's on most research shows there's not much available... legally 😉

Thank you for all the prayers and support. We really appreciate all the support.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Getting discharged. He is gonna have to be on antibiotics for the next 12 days. He'll be hooked up 24 hours a day but at least he's home. They decided they couldn't do anything for his pain due to the CRPS and basically told us we need to find some way to handle it.  Besides the Lyrica he's on most research shows there's not much available... legally 😉

Thank you for all the prayers and support. We really appreciate all the support.

Need any help I do still have my contacts

sofi tukker wink GIF by Ultra Music

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay, glad you guys are open to nontraditional treatment options. 

Glad he's going home!

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, glad you guys are open to nontraditional treatment options. 

Now we just need Texas to be a little more open...

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

*Too bad you're on on the non-Colorado side of Texas.

At least you Texans and we South Carolinians can cut it up while we wait at the back of the line. 

*Okay, well, maybe not for literally every other reason.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

They decided they couldn't do anything for his pain due to the CRPS and basically told us we need to find some way to handle it.  Besides the Lyrica he's on most research shows there's not much available... legally 😉

Ok @aubiefifty, time for you to step up. Sharing is caring. 

Bird, have you tried good quality CBD patches for him? That might help at least take the edge off. I've been struggling with some anxiety lately and have used the patches a few times. My daughter has anxiety worse than me and it really helps. I have heard that it is good for pain as well, but I can't confirm that for you personally.  I have a good, legal source for them, if you haven't tried them yet.

P.S. I am glad James is home and I will continue to pray for you all.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, bigbird said:

Road Trip.

(You want something more than weak-assed home grown.)

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Road Trip.

(You want something more than weak-assed home grown.)

Already in the works...

Archived