Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Kentucky

JMR

As far as RB passes, I just watched the 10 min highlight video posted on YouTube. The 1st td to Seth, Worm looked wide open across the middle and believe he woulda scored. Another was 3rd and 5 and line got blown up and Bo tried to run but he coulda dumped it out to Worm on the sideline. 

I think the plays were called, but I would like to see Bo dump it off more. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

think the plays were called, but I would like to see Bo dump it off more. 

Agree 100%. There were a few plays where he had other options. Shivers in screen game would be deadly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Holy cow I did not notice that... basically KY just controlled the clock the entire game. To put it in perspective I think that uga had 89 plays saturday against ark. They had 32 more plays in the game. WOW. Also just looked and we only had 19 plays in the first half and 1 was kneel down. 18 plays of true offense! KY had 41 plays in the first half! They dominated. It is amazing (and fortuitous) that we had the lead at halftime. 

Well, when you consider that two of their drives consisted of 19 plays, over 10:00 minutes of game clock, and... 72 total yards and 0 points... it's not that crazy. Seems like Steele is often more than happy to let the opponent work between the 20s as long as don't give up the big plays, and we accomplished that for the most part. The long drive before the half was unfortunate, though.

They are like a lot of teams that are pretty good and will beat a lot of inferior teams but will usually fall short when facing superior talent and depth. They can't generate explosive plays and they get tired because they can't rotate bodies like superior teams, which we are, can. Now, if they had a Dak Prescott maybe it would be different, but Terry Wilson ain't that. 

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

As far as RB passes, I just watched the 10 min highlight video posted on YouTube. The 1st td to Seth, Worm looked wide open across the middle and believe he woulda scored. Another was 3rd and 5 and line got blown up and Bo tried to run but he coulda dumped it out to Worm on the sideline. 

This as well, I think all of our RB’s especially Shaun need to be featured more in the passing game as the season go’s on. I think we have some guys (even if it’s a check down) that can make things easier on Bo and make big plays in the process

Edited by Maverick.AU

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Thanks for sharing that. Any idea if that's the case with TEs, also? At least to some extent? I feel like the idea of going through progressions- of having progressions to go through- might take some getting used to.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks for sharing that. Any idea if that's the case with TEs, also? At least to some extent? I feel like the idea of going through progressions- of having progressions to go through- might take some getting used to.

Dont remember anything standing out where a TE was open. Think it's a progression thing as well. Doesn't seem like Bo is going through them all. 

Mentioned in another thread would love to see Pegues on a couple option routes where he is 1st read. That or with hand on the ground, chip block then drag across the middle. Could be deadly in short yardage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Mentioned in another thread would love to see Pegues on a couple option routes where he is 1st read. That or with hand on the ground, chip block then drag across the middle. Could be deadly in short yardage. 

I also wouldn't mind a screen where he does this from the H slot in the backfield. Especially since his "chip block" might accidently plant a DE on his ass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. I think the staff also knew we could control this game without having to get too creative. Even with their formidable heavies, Kentucky was a significantly less deep and talented team. The narrative leading up to the game was strange to me.

And @Barnacle, I can only suspect this is why we didn't see MAR. W didn't really throw to the backs and evidently that's where he really sets himself apart. 

We didn't throw to the TEs, we didn't run sweeps or really attack the perimeter much at all... Simply put, I don't think we scratched the surface of what this offense is against Kentucky. We really had no need to.

there's a few games where I felt like Gus has come into a "weaker" matchup with this modus operandi and not switched it up, even if the game gets close. There's something to be said for that level of fortitude 

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

there's a few games where I felt like Gus has come into a "weaker" matchup with this modus operandi and not switched it up, even if the game gets close. There's something to be said for that level of fortitude 

Haha. I just don't think Gus has that tool in the kit. It's actually pretty crazy how he just... doesn't adjust. Like, ever, at all. In hindsight, we really shouldn't have been so proud of that 2013-2014 offense that just kept doing that thing nobody could stop. Turns out there wasn't another thing we could do when that didn't work anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

The way the OL is blocking, you need a guy like Shivers. With his speed he can make something out of nothing which we’re going to need with the OL blocking like it is

Did you see the OL on Saturday? If so, did you see any "something out of nothings"? 

At some point, if your line cannot make a consistent seam to run in, there probably won't be much "breaking it outside" room either.

Shivers will need more touches in order to be able to make a big play. But I don't see ANY of our backs making a big play with the current run blocking from our OL. As someone stated, they should get better.

Speed is not an asset when there is no room to run, not much is. Hopefully we will have more designed outside runs this week against uga. I would love to see Shivers get a little running room. But we have all been saying that for two seasons now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Did you see the OL on Saturday? If so, did you see any "something out of nothings"? 

At some point, if your line cannot make a consistent seam to run in, there probably won't be much "breaking it outside" room either.

Shivers will need more touches in order to be able to make a big play. But I don't see ANY of our backs making a big play with the current run blocking from our OL. As someone stated, they should get better.

Speed is not an asset when there is no room to run, not much is. Hopefully we will have more designed outside runs this week against uga. I would love to see Shivers get a little running room. But we have all been saying that for two seasons now.

Shivers made a big play out of nothing on an outside run on one of the first drives of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

Speed is definitely an asset. Holes close quick in the SEC so it helps if you got somebody with speed to hit the hole faster. If Shivers was running the ball against LSU instead of Williams then Shivers would’ve scored on that long run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Speed is definitely an asset. Holes close quick in the SEC so it helps if you got somebody with speed to hit the hole faster. If Shivers was running the ball against LSU instead of Williams then Shivers would’ve scored on that long run

I think he would have scored on both long runs, although the other one was a lot harder to make that claim on.

But like you said, it's more about getting to the hole while there is one. Not to mention, smaller bodies fit through smaller holes and are harder to keep track of behind the OL. Hate to keep bringing up Tre Mason, but his compact frame was a big plus for him. Imagine if he had Worm speed to finish more of his long runs. 

One thing that's interesting to me  is that one RB can be slow, and another can have poor vision, and another can have ball security issues... but when it comes to Auburn fans, it's always going to be the smallest guy who "doesn't have as many tools" or "isn't seen as a feature back." None of them are complete backs so I'll take the one who doesn't fumble, can take any ball to the house, is the most experienced, and who carries a little piece of Xavier McKinney's soul everywhere he goes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also think it should be noted - because it was stated over and over in the game thread - and because it seems to have been repeated since then as fact, that the two runs on 2nd and 1 and then 4th and 1 that were stuffed during the first half, those were both by DJ. For some reason, Worm keeps getting attributed to the 2nd and 1 run, and then used as a justification for why he can't run inside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

I just watched it and posted in the forum as well. Yes I caught a lot of things I missed while watching live. The TD to Seth you mentioned, yes Worm was open and it looked like JSS was running a corner route and breaking open. Also on the throw to Seth where Bo scramble to his right and through off back foot.....Ze. Capers was streaking wide open down on a post. 

I also noticed on the first completion to Seth on a deep crossing pattern, TE was open across the middle. Lots of things that give me hope and proof that this is CHADS Offense and we are living it, boys!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I just watched it and posted in the forum as well. Yes I caught a lot of things I missed while watching live. The TD to Seth you mentioned, yes Worm was open and it looked like JSS was running a corner route and breaking open. Also on the throw to Seth where Bo scramble to his right and through off back foot.....Ze. Capers was streaking wide open down on a post. 

I also noticed on the first completion to Seth on a deep crossing pattern, TE was open across the middle. Lots of things that give me hope and proof that this is CHADS Offense and we are living it, boys!

Very encouraging to know that we often had multiple players open on one play.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

38 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Very encouraging to know that we often had multiple players open on one play.

I think it’s gonna take Bo a little bit to get used to having multiple reads without the benefit of spring ball. I believe it will come sooner rather than later! He now has film of those things he needs to look for going forward.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2020 at 8:54 PM, AURex said:

Thanks JMR for your expert insights. Like you, I noticed Bo continuing to throw off his back foot. You'd think a year of off-season would have corrected this, Still, I was glad to see that he was working more from he pocket.

And Seth is THE MAN! Shrove got some catches, but like to see Mr Speed Schwarz get the ball more often.

Alas, what happened to the TEs? All this conversation during off-season about Morris using the TEs more in the passing game. Is this on Bo r Morris? I dunno. Waiting! Let's do it!

Involving TEs in the passing game more doesn't necessarily mean throwing to them more. It means designing routes where they are more likely to be usable. I saw a lot more complexity on TE routes on Saturday than I've seen from Malzahn's offense in some time (if ever). Put another way, they were running routes and getting open, but so were our receivers. The receivers were more open and created a better opportunity for a big play. If the receivers weren't getting open, we would have seen a lot more TE receptions. 

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

You first have to have a hole for it to close. When the OL starts making holes, we'll all know.  

8 hours ago, CCTAU said:

You first have to have a hole for it to close. When the OL starts making holes, we'll all know.  

The OL is going to open up holes, the OL ain’t that bad. Every OL is going to give you something to work with sooner or later 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The OL is going to open up holes, the OL ain’t that bad. Every OL is going to give you something to work with sooner or later 

Agreed. They're not any worse than the last few years, except maybe the 2nd half of 2017. Plenty reason to expect improvement, especially with a game plan that will attack the entire field and stretch the defense. As good as that OL was in 2013, they got a LOT of help from all the misdirection going on in the backfield. They also got a lot of help from Prosch. We've now got a guy who can maybe provide Prosch's services plus more, as well as an offense that can similarly give defenders more to worry about. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like Steele is often more than happy to let the opponent work between the 20s as long as don't give up the big plays

I remember they called the 1958 LSU defense the Chinese Bandits.  I would call Steele's first half defense Chinese Water Torture.

24 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I remember they called the 1958 LSU defense the Chinese Bandits.  I would call Steele's first half defense Chinese Water Torture.

It makes the game threads humorous to me. Every Saturday.

Auburn fans: "OMG this defense is terrible, why won't they tackle anybody, they're having their way with us"

Auburn defense: *goes into halftime having only given up 7 points*

• Haha 4