2022 3* OT Eston Harris Commits To Auburn

toddc

Getting back to Harris. I understand Players like Harris as an OT preferring bama over Auburn because they have a track record of great O-Lines and putting players in the NFL.  From what I have read he on this site he likes Auburn but wants bama to offer as that is his school of choice. The consensus seems to be he is not high enough on bama list to get a committable  offer unless bama loses out on higher ranked players. bama probably negatively recruits against Auburn because they don't want Harris at Auburn but eventually Harris will realize he won't get the bama offer. 

My real question is assuming bama does not come up with a committable offer how do we stack up with other schools that are recruiting him?  

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Why do you think schools are going to be paying players under the new NIL rules?

Because it's going to work like this: School A tells 5* recruit they promise that he can sell 500 autographs at $1,000 each. Then school B says they'll sell 1,000 at $1,000 each.  That's how it's going to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Because it's going to work like this: School A tells 5* recruit they promise that he can sell 500 autographs at $1,000 each. Then school B says they'll sell 1,000 at $1,000 each.  That's how it's going to be.

Wow, you think there’s that many people that’ll pay $1,000 for an autograph lol?

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yeah, that's not the school using their endowment or resources to do it

Saw he transferred from Beauregard to Auburn HS. I have no idea how this positively or negatively affects Auburn University’s recruitment of him. Anyone know?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pretty sure the equivalent of that is already happening under the table. What was the store in T-Town that was giving away suits and managing the sale of signed photos?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

Saw he transferred from Beauregard to Auburn HS. I have no idea how this positively or negatively affects Auburn University’s recruitment of him. Anyone know?

Closer to home has never been a good thing for Auburn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

@AUinGA44 Word on the bunker is if Bama or UGa want him they will get him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AUinGA44 Word on the bunker is if Bama or UGa want him they will get him.

There is no doubt in my mind that bama is his 1st choice and that UGa is his second choice.  I just think that both have a lot of players ahead of him on their boards and will probably get those players.  So as sad as it sounds I would love getting him because they didn't want him enough.  As I have said before he is the type of player you want to get at OT if you don't get the 5* type.  He has the height, wingspan and quickness to develop into a quality OT.  Until we get a few like him every year and develop them into NFL capable players it will be hard for us to get the 5* type as they go to programs with a proven track record.

By the way great to see a post from you E.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, dilligas said:

Wow, you think there’s that many people that’ll pay $1,000 for an autograph lol?

No, I think that one or two billionaire alumni will buy them all themselves.

Edited by Mikey

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is no doubt in my mind that bama is his 1st choice and that UGa is his second choice.  I just think that both have a lot of players ahead of him on their boards and will probably get those players.  So as sad as it sounds I would love getting him because they didn't want him enough.  As I have said before he is the type of player you want to get at OT if you don't get the 5* type.  He has the height, wingspan and quickness to develop into a quality OT.  Until we get a few like him every year and develop them into NFL capable players it will be hard for us to get the 5* type as they go to programs with a proven track record.

By the way great to see a post from you E.

Then, when he's good to go for his All-SEC seasons he'll enter the portal and head to UAT, which is where he wanted to be all along? That's what I don't like about the transfer portal and the "no sit out" rule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't like about the transfer portal and the "no sit out" rule.

I don't like it either. 

Look, I get it, kids need an opportunity to rectify a bad choice. Maybe the kid got caught up in the hype, maybe he didn't think distance would be a factor, or maybe they just didn't fit in to the culture of the town/state. No matter what the reason,  they don't want to remain at the school they committed to and deserve a chance to rectify their poor decision. I'm all for that. That said, there needs to be some delayed gratification, some penance for backing out of a commitment.  IMO, just accepting and allowing it sends the wrong messages. Commitment and loyalty are attributes to strive for and it should come from everyone involved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm all for that. That said, there needs to be some delayed gratification, some penance for backing out of a commitment.  IMO, just accepting and allowing it sends the wrong messages. Commitment and loyalty are attributes to strive for and it should come from everyone involved.

Agreed. Hopefully the ‘market’ will correct itself somewhat. No one is talking about the huge number of kids who have entered the portal and not been picked up or picked up by less desirable schools. As that data gets out, it may curb the appetite for the portal for many. 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, I think that one or two billionaire alumni will buy them all themselves.

Now I get it, as a way for boosters to pay players that is within the new NIL rules.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then, when he's good to go for his All-SEC seasons he'll enter the portal and head to UAT, which is where he wanted to be all along? That's what I don't like about the transfer portal and the "no sit out" rule.

Show me a highly touted starter that leaves their team.  I'm not sure there has been one.  Seems like being scared of something that isn't going to happen

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

Now I get it, as a way for boosters to pay players that is within the new NIL rules.

Yes, it'll now be money everyone sees vs literally every school paying kids under the table

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Commitment and loyalty are attributes to strive for and it should come from everyone involved.

But until that standard applies to coaches/staff it is hard to demand it from the players

Add: But, I agree with you because that’s how I was raised

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

Good point but I think you are missing one thing. A lot of the players want to go to bama because they see bama players make all SEC then go Pro. Once here and if we do the job of getting him to all SEC level why take the chance of moving to bama where he might still be behind a 5* who has also developed. If here and he gets to know and like the staff and he is getting developed it could change his view.  It is a risk I am willing to take.

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Good point but I think you are missing one thing. A lot of the players want to go to bama because they see bama players make all SEC then go Pro. Once here and if we do the job of getting him to all SEC level why take the chance of moving to bama where he might still be behind a 5* who has also developed. If here and he gets to know and like the staff and he is getting developed it could change his view.  It is a risk I am willing to take.

I don’t see a way around taking this risk. We essentially have the same risk from every player , no matter his number of stars.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t see a way around taking this risk. We essentially have the same risk from every player , no matter his number of stars.

Perhaps, but bringing in one who has his heart set on Tuskaloser possibly holds an increased level of risk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Perhaps, but bringing in one who has his heart set on Tuskaloser possibly holds an increased level of risk.

It may be an added risk but pretty unreliable to try to determine someone’s heart. Some in the past that we absolutely thought had their heart on AU, surprised us at the last minute.

The transfer thing and immediate eligibility  - that is this year only right?  If not, this is a really bad thing. 

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The transfer thing and immediate eligibility  - that is this year only right?  If not, this is a really bad thing. 

I thought it was permanent.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I thought it was permanent.

It is but you can only do it once and still become immediate eligibility to my understanding

• Like 2