BO and TJ

aubiefifty

If TJ comes to Auburn, regardless of if he is named the starter or not, DD will likely hit the portal immediately, so he can sit/redshirt and have 4 years to play.

If TJ comes to Auburn and wins the starting, job, Bo will likely hit the portal immediately, so he can sit/redshirt and have two years to play.

Both DD and Bo will have an argument for hardship due to the coaching change. Both the fact both are eligible to redshirt, and both could potentially get to immediately play based on hardship, only encourages the likelihood of immediate transfer.

So if TJ comes and wins the starting job, it will be TJ, Loy, and Pate as our 1, 2, and 3 QBs.

I have to wonder if this talk is being driven by the fact TJ is a better fit into Harsin's offense than DD, so they are looking for a QB of the future, and they do not think a dual-threat like DD is the right fit. DD would have been a great fit in a Gus Malzahn/Nick Marshall style offense.

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The man said it 3 times on this one page alone. 

#READINGISHARD

definitely.  If I'm not drinking I'm half paying attention, whilst trying to develop s*** at work.

Edited by W.E.D

9 minutes ago, meh130 said:

If TJ comes to Auburn, regardless of if he is named the starter or not, DD will likely hit the portal immediately, so he can sit/redshirt and have 4 years to play.

If TJ comes to Auburn and wins the starting, job, Bo will likely hit the portal immediately, so he can sit/redshirt and have two years to play.

Both DD and Bo will have an argument for hardship due to the coaching change. Both the fact both are eligible to redshirt, and both could potentially get to immediately play based on hardship, only encourages the likelihood of immediate transfer.

So if TJ comes and wins the starting job, it will be TJ, Loy, and Pate as our 1, 2, and 3 QBs.

I have to wonder if this talk is being driven by the fact TJ is a better fit into Harsin's offense than DD, so they are looking for a QB of the future, and they do not think a dual-threat like DD is the right fit. DD would have been a great fit in a Gus Malzahn/Nick Marshall style offense.

Isn’t bo nix a “dual threat QB” ?

Edited by DAG

5 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Not sure I agree with you.  DD has more experience here and could beat out TJ in the spring.  Most here thought he was the second coming, so if they're right I doupt he's transfering regardless.

I don't think Bo would transfer immediately.  Covid year is a dead year and he still has 3 years plus a RS.  I'd imagine he'd stay incase TJ plays as terrible as he did at LSU or injury and he could get the job back.  He'd probably transfer in December if he never got the job back.  He'd still have 2 years to play.

Hardship doesn't matter anymore.  Everyone is immediately eligible.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Isn’t bo nix a “dual threat QB” ?

I don't buy the argument any of our QBs are true Dual Threat QBs.  DD is small, but he's a good passer who can also run.

Look at every new good QB in the NFL or around CFB.  They are all athletic and can run.  Trevor Lawrence can run when needed and does it well, but he's a "pro style".

Modern day QBs are ones that can pass and run.  Bo/DD both fit into that.

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Modern day QBs are ones that can pass and run.  Bo/DD both fit into that.

Bo has not shown anything on the field to suggest that he can pass at a consistent level. He is actually a below average passer, as proven by countless metrics in which he ranks in the ~80's nationally amongst starting quarterbacks. That makes him a bottom-third quarterback.

This is why your stance of him somehow being locked in as a starter is completely illogical. Do you believe that Harsin is dead set on starting a bottom-third quarterback who hasn't been good at all? Why would he do that? When you're looking into bringing in a transfer QB who has started games in this conference and your current starter has not proven to be good, then by definition the job IS open. No one here has said that Finley is definitely starting. 

• Like 1

Just now, metafour said:

Bo has not shown anything on the field to suggest that he can pass at a consistent level. He is actually a below average passer, as proven by countless metrics in which he ranks in the ~80's nationally amongst starting quarterbacks. That makes him a bottom-third quarterback.

Don't disagree.  He's also had the worst QB developer and offense in college football.  Every QB Gus has had has gotten worse the longer he has them.  I've seen him play well and make good passes.  It's in him, it just needs to be developed and coached better and more important put into better situations than 5 verticals with no protection.

Virtually all TrFr QBs don't play well.  Bo wasn't one of the few exceptions.  QBs still get better as they go from Fr to Sr. Joe Burrow threw 57% his first year at LSU.  Went to 80% is 5th year in college and won the heisman.  More experience and more importantly elite coaching.

Now I'm not saying Bo is going to do that, but I think his story hasn't been written yet.

6 minutes ago, metafour said:

This is why your stance of him somehow being locked in as a starter is completely illogical. Do you believe that Harsin is dead set on starting a bottom-third quarterback who hasn't been good at all? Why would he do that? When you're looking into bringing in a transfer QB who has started games in this conference and your current starter has not proven to be good, then by definition the job IS open. No one here has said that Finley is definitely starting. 

No, I also don't think nor does Harsin think Bo is a terrible QB.   He praised him constantly through spring and after A-Day.  Elite coaching and a better offense will make him better.

TJ Finely was removed from a few games.  Each time another TrFr game in and put up better stats.  It's not like everyone was awful on that team.  Other QBs succeeded when he couldn't.   v

Finely's stats are just as bad as Bo's last year.  They were 1 year apart, it's not like it was multiple season of experience.   I'ts funny you keep pointing to Bo's stats when Finely was just as bad, but of course only he can get better

My basis is b/c Finely isn't going to be on scholarship until ~Aug 1st.  He's going ot have about 15 practices before we start putting in game plans. 3 weeks to pass 4 people on the DC, understand the playbook, checks, get in rythmn with WRs etc.

If he came in the Spring he'd have a better shot.  

24 minutes ago, metafour said:

I’m sure Bo earned some of that bottom third QB ranking but equally convinced that Malzahn’s offense (elementary route tree) earned some of that also. I fully expect him to start and be improved over last year (course I thought that last year also).

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m sure Bo earned some of that bottom third QB ranking but equally convinced that Malzahn’s offense (elementary route tree) earned some of that also. I fully expect him to start and be improved over last year (course I thought that last year also).

There are major problems with him that have nothing to do with "Malzahn's offense" - such as countless examples of him missing wide open receivers. Throwing screen passes that end up at the receiver's feet. Having no sense of the pocket and escaping which eliminates certain routes entirely by cutting the field in half. These are bad bad bad. Yes the offense he was in stunted him and probably forged or elevated some of these issues, but even QB's who play on bad offenses are expected to hit receivers when they are open. He has not shown any sense of good accuracy. 

The reality is that this is what he is at this point. You can try to fix as much as you can mechanically and improve the scheme/routes, but I don't believe that Harsin is going to spend a lot of time "waiting" to see if the light is going to turn on for Bo. A lot of these issues never get for quarterbacks. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If he came in the Spring he'd have a better shot.  

That is obvious, but he has a shot period. Of those 15 spring practices, how many do you think were spent with Harsin and Bobo trying to correct the bad habits that Bo has? 

I use this metaphor a lot with this topic. I trained horses for a living for 20+ years. I did everything from break colts to tune up seasoned horses and everything in between. I would rather someone bring me a 3 year old Wild colt who never had a hand on him period, as opposed to someone's 10 year old "fully trained" horse to be tuned up and corrected.

It is so hard to break bad habits once they are there. With the wild 3 year old, he is a clean slate. Bo has 2 years of bad habits build in. Can they be corrected? Yes. Can they be corrected in the allotted time that Harsin and Co. have? That is a different conversation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, metafour said:

The reality is that this is what he is at this point.

The idea that QBs can't/don't develop after their 2nd season in college is beyond ridiculous.  Hell, Josh Allen wasn't very good until he was in his 2nd year in college.

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The idea that QBs can't/don't develop after their 2nd season in college is beyond ridiculous.  Hell, Josh Allen wasn't very good until he was in his 2nd year in college.

HE said he is what he is at this point. He did not say "he is what he is going to be". He never made an implication he can't get better. 

The reality is that Bo has a lot to be fixed and not a lot of time. Harsin is not going to waste a full season if he is not where he needs to be. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

That is obvious, but he has a shot period.

So does DD.  He has a shot, but it is very very small.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Of those 15 spring practices, how many do you think were spent with Harsin and Bobo trying to correct the bad habits that Bo has? 

I'd guess all of them.  That's what practice is for.  I'd guess all practices focus on fundamentals.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Do you ever read what people write out fully? He never said he couldn't develop more. He said the reality is Bo is what he is at THIS POINT , meaning right now.  He is also making the point that maybe CBH doesn't want to wait for the light to turn on, even so slowly for BO, if he can get a new green QB and mold him into what he wants. 

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

HE said he is what he is at this point. He did not say "he is what he is going to be". He never made an implication he can't get better. 

Right, and everyone is using past performance for a future predictor.  That isn't good, especially for young QBs.

We posted this at the same time hahaha.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

So does DD.  He has a shot, but it is very very small.

I'd guess all of them.  That's what practice is for.  I'd guess all practices focus on fundamentals.

The point is....it's not like Bo has a massive advantage on learning the new system. If Bo didn't have all the issues he has that time could have been spent more efficiently in learning the new system. Yes he still has a leg up in that regard, but some has to be negated I would think. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We posted this at the same time hahaha.

Me and Dag agreeing on things and having the same thoughts? Who would have thunk it?!

Like Butch and Sundance....

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do you ever read what people write out fully? He never said he couldn't develop more. He said the reality is Bo is what he is at THIS POINT , meaning right now.  He is also making the point that maybe CBH doesn't want to wait for the light to turn on, even so slowly for BO, if he can get a new green QB and mold him into what he wants. 

Yes, he literally said Harsin isn't going to wait.  So in his opinion Bo can't/isn't going to improve

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

The point is....it's not like Bo has a massive advantage on learning the new system. If Bo didn't have all the issues he has that time could have been spent more efficiently in learning the new system. Yes he still has a leg up in that regard, but some has to be negated I would think. 

Yes, he has 6 months of practices and film review and learning the playbook.  That's a big advantage.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right, and everyone is using past performance for a future predictor.  That isn't good, especially for young QBs.

That is completely false. Do you just throw #$%^ against the wall and hope something sticks?

• Haha 1

That is completely false. Do you just throw #$%^ against the wall and hope something sticks?

Everyone literally is tho.  "He sucked last year, We need a new QB"

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, he has 6 months of practices and film review and learning the playbook.  That's a big advantage.

Should have been 6 months spent making Bo throw to a target with his back foot tied to the ground.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Everyone literally is tho.  "He sucked last year, We need a new QB"

Conversation isn't for you friend. That's ok. I am not good at Welding...or sweeping floors. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Find what you are good at and perfect that craft. 

Edit- I say this because I have seen you in multiple threads manipulate people's words, take them out of context because you either didn't read the entire post or just chose to ignore it, and completely make stuff up. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
addition
  • Like 1