Good analysis

bigbird

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

It might take CBH a while to get things turned around but I'll take getting beaten by equally or more talented teams rather than losing, or not even putting up a fight because your coaching staff has consistently underprepared dang near every aspect of the offense.  I have a feeling (perhaps that feeling is mostly hope) that Harsin will have these guys prepared for every game. 

At least we have hope for the future. Whether BH works out or not, having hope is a good thing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well they will hold onto that he bested Saban three times but I give that to the players more so than his ridiculous coaching.

Pretty much fighting with one hand tied behind their backs. 

Many in our fanbase have little bro beaten into them. 

27 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

At least we have hope for the future. Whether BH works out or not, having hope is a good thing.

It's been a while since anything related to Auburn football has had hope associated with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He will be playing in the CFL or that fan league if he doesn’t get it together with all that athleticism 

He needs to be in the slot, he is a good enough athlete that he could play in the slot and possibly play at the next level.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I believe just scheming appropriately will show serious improvement in the offense 

Yes, the OT blocking the hand-down DE with an empty backfield will be an improvement.

That was so odd, I mean what on Earth was going on? Did the OL think the RB or H-Back was in the backfield to pick up the DE? Did they think it was an RPO where the DE was the read defender? It just strikes me as a horrible lack of communication. The OL was not on the same page as the rest of the offense.

At first, I wanted Bicknell retained because I thought he was a good OL coach, and we needed continuity with the OL. But now, I am glad Harsin cleaned house.

Also, the idea of the QB leaving the pocket early was a problem with Stidham in 2018 also. That suggests it the QBs were in large part coached to use their mobility to extend the play. But not every QB is Nick Marshall.

Even a modest improvement in OL pass protection, and a modest improvement in QB decision making will go a long way.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the whole thing but what got me was how many times people were not blocked not because they missed the block but they would double team one player and let another player go. Either players were making bad reads or line blocking scheme was bad.  The more I watched the more I think it was the blocking scheme. If it was the blocking scheme maybe with a new O-Line coach we can correct a lot of this.  To see your line get beat so much should dishearten you which it does but it also gave me some hope that the players were not overmatched as much as they either did what they had been taught or they missed assignments because they were either not well coached or because they were incapable of learning their assignments. Good coaching could eliminate two of the three possibilities not much you can do with a player who can't learn. For some reason I don't think the issues are that multiple college O-Linemen can't learn. 

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Many in our fanbase have little bro beaten into them. 

we finally agree on something can we burn that to the ground into ashes and it blows away into the win. Auburn will be better off as a program if this fan base can stop acting as though that game is our national championship.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

He needs to be in the slot, he is a good enough athlete that he could play in the slot and possibly play at the next level.

Well you got to be able to catch too! I am rooting for Bo. I just hope he isn’t far too gone . What is this like his third OC? 

I’m glad I watched this before eating lunch instead of after. It is nauseating. Glad we have a college level offensive coaching staff this year. 

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I didn't watch the whole thing but what got me was how many times people were not blocked not because they missed the block but they would double team one player and let another player go. Either players were making bad reads or line blocking scheme was bad.  The more I watched the more I think it was the blocking scheme. If it was the blocking scheme maybe with a new O-Line coach we can correct a lot of this.  To see your line get beat so much should dishearten you which it does but it also gave me some hope that the players were not overmatched as much as they either did what they had been taught or they missed assignments because they were either not well coached or because they were incapable of learning their assignments. Good coaching could eliminate two of the three possibilities not much you can do with a player who can't learn. For some reason I don't think the issues are that multiple college O-Linemen can't learn. 

How do you not have anyone block a hand-down edge defender? That only makes any sense if the defender was to be read on an RPO.

Something was horribly wrong.

12 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I 100% don't agree with this

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well you got to be able to catch too! I am rooting for Bo. I just hope he isn’t far too gone . What is this like his third OC? 

In name sure, but I think we all know it was really Gus overruling everything and doing what he wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Also goes to show all of the blame is not SOLELY on the offensive line. Bad QB play , bad scheming , bad up front blocking . Back to square one in all facets. Let the best people play CBH.

I got a very different message from that video than you. I got that it was almost solely offensive line play that led to poor QB play, and thus Nix has not been properly evaluated as a QB yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I 100% don't agree with this

Bo “ Hunter Renfrow” nix ? 

• Like 1

Just now, tigerbrotha12 said:

I got a very different message from that video than you. I got that it was almost solely offensive line play that led to poor QB play, and thus Nix has not been properly evaluated as a QB yet. 

He has E.G. why TJ Finley was recruited to come in and battle for the starting job.

Just now, DAG said:

Bo “ Hunter Renfrow” nix ? 

I think Bo is a really good athlete, especially for a QB, but I don't think he's a slot WR type athlete.  That's just kinda silly.

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

There is a lot of bad OL play that made Bo flush from the pocket, but then he also made a lot of bad decisions trying to force balls.

It was really bad on bad

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I heard some of that, too. But I also heard scheme many times. Like did they have one and what was it? He also did call out Bo several times. Sounds to me like he thought the whole offense was garbage. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

He has E.G. why TJ Finley was recruited to come in and battle for the starting job.

But you said there is a problem with QB play and I don't think that is the case. I think Nix demonstrates a significant ability to perform well with good to fair offensive line play. 

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

I herd some of that, too. But I also heard scheme many times. Like did they have one and what was it? He also did call out Bo several times. Sounds to me like he thought the whole offense was garbage. 

Yeah ultimately the schemed sucked balls. But there was definitely in usual mistakes as well from the line and QB . The idea that one person is absolved from anytype of responsibility is ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

But you said there is a problem with QB play and I don't think that is the case. I think Nix demonstrates a significant ability to perform well with good to fair offensive line play. 

I said there was a problem with QB play , offensive line and scheme. You are saying the offensive line is SOLELY the blame for QB play . 

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, JuscAUse! said:

I heard some of that, too. But I also heard scheme many times. Like did they have one and what was it? He also did call out Bo several times. Sounds to me like he thought the whole offense was garbage. 

I think it's all of it. Bad scheme/play design means EVERYTHING is more difficult. There are no gimme plays, there's no taking advantage of what the defense gives you, everything is a challenge. Couple that with Gus' philosophy of coaching players to simply execute their assignments without any higher understanding of why and you have this mess. Bad scheme plus bad football IQ at every position group gives you this mess. 

• Like 2

Just now, AUAlumnTN said:

I think it's all of it. Bad scheme/play design means EVERYTHING is more difficult. There are no gimme plays, there's no taking advantage of what the defense gives you, everything is a challenge. Couple that with Gus' philosophy of coaching players to simply execute their assignments without any higher understanding of why and you have this mess. Bad scheme plus bad football IQ at every position group gives you this mess. 

Right. Ultimately the Expert HC failed those players PERIOD. At least he got a great vacation home in Orlando for it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

To me, the times he calls out Bo is directly due to something else going wrong, save for the throw to Schwartz downfield when he is ahead of his man running towards the back judge. That's the only time I really saw Nix miss a throw he should've made in that video. The rest are due to crappy line play, poor scheming, or laziness by the wideout. 

He should be able to hit a swing pass with his eyes closed

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Right. Ultimately the Expert HC failed those players PERIOD. At least he got a great vacation home in Orlando for it. 

He's also left behind quite the cautionary tale. Honestly, I don't think Gus Malzahn is a terrible coach. In fact, I think he was once a very good one. He's produced too many good offenses (2006 Arkansas, 2010, 2013, and 2014 Auburn) to be genuinely awful. The guy legitimately was on the cutting edge of the sport when he first showed up. I saw a quote (I don't remember where) by some SEC defensive coach that essentially said "the worst thing that can happen to a good offensive coach is to be called a genius". I think that's where Gus ultimately went wrong. He's not a terrible coach. He's a good one who got high on his own supply, got complacent, and stopped innovating. That's a serious problem at any program but it's a recipe for disaster when you're in arguably the most difficult job in college football. 

• Like 2