More Scrimmage Intel:

aubiefifty

Sean must have really rubbed Gus wrong.  He’s the player that made me realize Gus wasn’t the Offensive QB guru.  To go through 2 spring and fall practices and still not see he’s the best Qb vs JJ, JF3, and Cox Cat is nuts.  Sean single handedly saved Gus’s job.  If Sean didn’t put his body through a beating and was healthy at the end of seasons he’d be remembered fondly.  2015 UGA, 2015 Iron Bowl, 2016 UGA, 2016 Iron Bowl, 2016/17 Sugar Bowl could have all been different. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree. I give credit for Gus learning how to use NM. 100%. I still don't believe with a shred of my being that NM got better because of Gus. 

I don’t think Gus ever learned how to really use NM. NM was so confident and quick, that the option was a thing of beauty when he ran it. JF3 was just as fast, but had no clue, or confidence, how to run the option. Therefore Gus’ option calls failed.  For NM, All Gus really had to do was call the same plays over and over and NM made them work. NM was a once in a lifetime talent in an option system. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

The dude is a gamer. Played in the toughest classification in Texas & won a state tittle. IMO that says a lot. 

You are not wrong on that.  There is not a harder whetstone out there than what Davis has been sharpened on. At least on the high school level.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I don’t think Gus ever learned how to really use NM. NM was so confident and quick, that the option was a thing of beauty when he ran it. JF3 was just as fast, but had no clue, or confidence, how to run the option. Therefore Gus’ option calls failed.  For NM, All Gus really had to do was call the same plays over and over and NM made them work. NM was a once in a lifetime talent in an option system. 

Got to also credit the offensive line and Tre Mason, who was insane to take down on first hit. As you mentioned he legit called the same play, but It had three different options and no one could stop it. Also, he was ahead of the curve on the rules. When that changed occurred, he was exposed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Sean must have really rubbed Gus wrong.  He’s the player that made me realize Gus wasn’t the Offensive QB guru.  To go through 2 spring and fall practices and still not see he’s the best Qb vs JJ, JF3, and Cox Cat is nuts.  Sean single handedly saved Gus’s job.  If Sean didn’t put his body through a beating and was healthy at the end of seasons he’d be remembered fondly.  2015 UGA, 2015 Iron Bowl, 2016 UGA, 2016 Iron Bowl, 2016/17 Sugar Bowl could have all been different. 

Sean just got to play the suck teams. JJ and SW were basically the same player except one had a strong arm and the other had better accuracy. Gus failed them both

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Right never understood that 1s vs 2s mentality 

i have heard over and over that saban does this regularly so he has a better idea of what he has. and i think that was part of the revolt with a couple of coaches against gus. who knows for sure.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Gus definitely messed up in the category of evaluating who’s his best…I think that stretched across multiple positions unfortunately. I think it was his own hubris with the QB position 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

The order of quarterbacks should surprise nobody on here.  After spring ball there were two legitimate QB's on the roster.  Nix and Davis.  Nix was always gonna get the nod for the first scrimmage as he is a team leader and earned it.  Finley was brought in not only because of depth but to add competition because the play of the other two were less than desirable.  Davis is being handled properly by the coaching staff.  He has shown glimpses of what he can do, but he is also learning to process a lot more information, going through his first fall camp and finding his role to be a leader on the team.  If Either Finley or Davis were to surpass Bo in the next couple of weeks they will have earned it and proven to their teammates that they are willing to put in the effort and work to earn their respect and lead the offense.  Every QB is put in a position to be the leader of this team if they earn it, give credit to our coaches for handling this properly, it has been a while. Finley got some go with the ones and Davis got some go with the twos, again signs of quality coaching, this excites me greatly.

However it is fun to debate things.  Bo does not have great arm and has shown inaccuracy do to a lack of consistent fundamentals.  Finley has a missile launcher, but no GPS.  Both can be corrected, although I do believe Bo's is a challenge because it seems to be mental when he senses pressure.  Davis in all honesty, seems to be able to make the throws whenever it is needed with accuracy and plenty of arm strength.  His biggest challenge is that he needs reps with the receivers to develop chemistry and timing.   Let the best man win the job or earn it by the end of the season.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

IMO, that's a good take on the situation. Another thing to think about is the transfer portal. If the head coach thinks that someone on the depth chart can move up to start at any point in the season, you almost have to play them, or else they may skip out before they are ready to contribute to the team. With our first two games being what they are, I might have a package for all three no matter who starts, and see what happens when the pads pop. Assuming I wanted to keep all three. 

55 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

The order of quarterbacks should surprise nobody on here.  After spring ball there were two legitimate QB's on the roster.  Nix and Davis.  Nix was always gonna get the nod for the first scrimmage as he is a team leader and earned it.  Finley was brought in not only because of depth but to add competition because the play of the other two were less than desirable.  Davis is being handled properly by the coaching staff.  He has shown glimpses of what he can do, but he is also learning to process a lot more information, going through his first fall camp and finding his role to be a leader on the team.  If Either Finley or Davis were to surpass Bo in the next couple of weeks they will have earned it and proven to their teammates that they are willing to put in the effort and work to earn their respect and lead the offense.  Every QB is put in a position to be the leader of this team if they earn it, give credit to our coaches for handling this properly, it has been a while. Finley got some go with the ones and Davis got some go with the twos, again signs of quality coaching, this excites me greatly.

However it is fun to debate things.  Bo does not have great arm and has shown inaccuracy do to a lack of consistent fundamentals.  Finley has a missile launcher, but no GPS.  Both can be corrected, although I do believe Bo's is a challenge because it seems to be mental when he senses pressure.  Davis in all honesty, seems to be able to make the throws whenever it is needed with accuracy and plenty of arm strength.  His biggest challenge is that he needs reps with the receivers to develop chemistry and timing.   Let the best man win the job or earn it by the end of the season.

I don't see at all DD overtaking Bo. I could see as practice continues and when the season starts, for DD to move up ahead of TJ.

That's a big IF ofc. Harsin likes DD's QB awareness, and a QB coach knows when a players just understands how to know whats going on inside that pocket or how to adjust to make something out of nothing. What DD doesn't have is experience with the 1s and the better OL and WRs.

I see a possibility, and that is only if Bo falters, and TJ not being consistent, for DD to move up in practice later in the season.

But only next year will we really know if DD breaks through to have a chance...Remember he is only a freshman....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Lack of OL recruiting is just a killer. Still makes me mad. 

I could be way wrong on this but it surprisingly doesn’t appear to be going any better with the new staff.  You’d think once you started to install a pro style offense that would help get players to the next level you’d start to pick up interest.  I’m not even talking about the 5*s that Bama and UGA are hoarding but the 3*s going elsewhere.  Maybe it’ll all change once the season starts.

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I could be way wrong on this but it surprisingly doesn’t appear to be going any better with the new staff.  You’d think once you started to install a pro style offense that would help get players to the next level you’d start to pick up interest.  I’m not even talking about the 5*s that Bama and UGA are hoarding but the 3*s going elsewhere.  Maybe it’ll all change once the season starts.

Drew Bobo seems like our only real target right now and he's probably 50/50 at best.  Kid from Opelika, who I like, has been kind of quiet.

26 minutes ago, Viper said:

BOOM!!

I almost said we don't do that around here anymore but then I clicked back through to see what you were responding to and so ISWYDT and well played. 

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Let the best man win the job or earn it by the end of the season.

This is it right here

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Drew Bobo seems like our only real target right now and he's probably 50/50 at best.  Kid from Opelika, who I like, has been kind of quiet.

So this goes into a point I tried to make in a recruiting thread, I'm sure once coach has an opportunity to show guys they can come here play and then get to the NFL recruiting will pick up. But right now we need to get out there in state and find those overlooked guys.

In the thread I mentioned earlier I brought up a kid from my hometown who clearly had all the measurables needed didn't get an offer from us. This is in the middle of us not getting any o linemen. I remember the kids first game was literally against bammer and the announcers praising how good he was playing as a freshman at left tackle against the best team in the nation.

The kid started as a true freshman was all conference every year, played fantastic his college career, 4 year career and started every game besides 2 missed for injury,  battled cancer right before his senior year. Signed with a team and his rookie year he played in 8 games.

Now nobody offered him as far as big time schools but with where we were at that's an easy win to try. He was 6'6" 280 and a basketball player......you have to be an idiot to not see that SCREAMS potential at tackle. Sure enough he's sound at tackle and guard. 

So I'm saying in our situation now we should be pulling the trigger on some of these type of guys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So this goes into a point I tried to make in a recruiting thread, I'm sure once coach has an opportunity to show guys they can come here play and then get to the NFL recruiting will pick up. But right now we need to get out there in state and find those overlooked guys.

In the thread I mentioned earlier I brought up a kid from my hometown who clearly had all the measurables needed didn't get an offer from us. This is in the middle of us not getting any o linemen. I remember the kids first game was literally against bammer and the announcers praising how good he was playing as a freshman at left tackle against the best team in the nation.

The kid started as a true freshman was all conference every year, played fantastic his college career, 4 year career and started every game besides 2 missed for injury,  battled cancer right before his senior year. Signed with a team and his rookie year he played in 8 games.

Now nobody offered him as far as big time schools but with where we were at that's an easy win to try. He was 6'6" 280 and a basketball player......you have to be an idiot to not see that SCREAMS potential at tackle. Sure enough he's sound at tackle and guard. 

So I'm saying in our situation now we should be pulling the trigger on some of these type of guys.

I don't disagree with your overall thought that that we need to be aggressive w/in the ENTIRE state of Alabama. 

I don't know which recruit you're talking about, but kids fall through the gaps all the time.  A nobody, offered by nobody, isn't going to go over well either at the time offered.  4-5 years ago I think Gus was doing OK on the OL, but I could be remember it wrong.  I thought it was more of a last 3-4 years issue. 

I don't think we're at the point of loading up on 2* kids.

I believe there is some truth to your "Show what you can do" but there are countless really good kids out there and a few have committed to some "unknown" coaches.  WR recruiting is going aight with Corn.  Pretty OK at RB.  Solid at TE & QB.  So right now we're selling a lot of good kids on the offense except OL.  If our OL recruiting was on par with any of the other position, I think we'd all be pretty happy.

And it really doesn't make much sense b/c Friend has a long SEC history of recruiting really good players.  Bobo's offenses have put OL in the NFL.  Now, we need to show kids going high before we start having a chance to rack up top 50 and 5* kids....but we're in a good enough position to land kids ranked outside the top 100 and some good 3* kids.  But right now that isn't even happening on the OL.  Kind of odd, especially with all the playing time we can offer.

So yeah, at some point we're just going to have to start taking kids and really evaluating them.  I don't think it's now, but at some point we're going to have to steal some barely ranked kid from Troy or South Alabama or something.  We need bodies

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see at all DD overtaking Bo. I could see as practice continues and when the season starts, for DD to move up ahead of TJ.

That's a big IF ofc. Harsin likes DD's QB awareness, and a QB coach knows when a players just understands how to know whats going on inside that pocket or how to adjust to make something out of nothing. What DD doesn't have is experience with the 1s and the better OL and WRs.

I see a possibility, and that is only if Bo falters, and TJ not being consistent, for DD to move up in practice later in the season.

But only next year will we really know if DD breaks through to have a chance...Remember he is only a freshman....

It could if Bo reverts to the same old Bo when pressure is applied. It sounds like not too much has changed with Bo. We know Bo is fine if he has time...if not it's a completely different story. Bo will start for sure but one thing i surely don't want to see is a 2nd act of just riding out the season with Bo if not much has changed. 

If Bo can't get the job done...who the next guy in line will be is going to depend on how our OL has been playing up to that point. If the OL is holding up for the most part than it would likely be TJ...then if not then we certainly could see DD. I think the goal is to redshirt him but I'm glad he's giving the coaches something to think about. 

I know Bo is our starter but I'm ecstatic about the fact that he's being pushed and it will be that way until he proves he can keep the job the entire season. If he can fine..if not..NEXT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I don't disagree with your overall thought that that we need to be aggressive w/in the ENTIRE state of Alabama. 

I don't know which recruit you're talking about, but kids fall through the gaps all the time.  A nobody, offered by nobody, isn't going to go over well either at the time offered.  4-5 years ago I think Gus was doing OK on the OL, but I could be remember it wrong.  I thought it was more of a last 3-4 years issue. 

I don't think we're at the point of loading up on 2* kids.

I believe there is some truth to your "Show what you can do" but there are countless really good kids out there and a few have committed to some "unknown" coaches.  WR recruiting is going aight with Corn.  Pretty OK at RB.  Solid at TE & QB.  So right now we're selling a lot of good kids on the offense except OL.  If our OL recruiting was on par with any of the other position, I think we'd all be pretty happy.

And it really doesn't make much sense b/c Friend has a long SEC history of recruiting really good players.  Bobo's offenses have put OL in the NFL.  Now, we need to show kids going high before we start having a chance to rack up top 50 and 5* kids....but we're in a good enough position to land kids ranked outside the top 100 and some good 3* kids.  But right now that isn't even happening on the OL.  Kind of odd, especially with all the playing time we can offer.

So yeah, at some point we're just going to have to start taking kids and really evaluating them.  I don't think it's now, but at some point we're going to have to steal some barely ranked kid from Troy or South Alabama or something.  We need bodies

I don't recall our o line recruiting ever being lights out but this guy was recent when I know recruiting wasn't good. If it wasn't for defensive guys being made into o line we would look even worse. 

Then one year that was ok but it doesn't matter to sign people and then they leave. And I know it happens sometimes to people but we made it damn near a habit, especially high rated guys

We're at the point where if you see an 6'6" athletic 3 star we need to go for it at a position where we are super thin. We was there 2 years ago

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

I think we should hold off the judgement of Bo as far as if he can get better. The thing about it is he was worse than the overall majority of this board would admit too. Tried explaining it but it wasn't just the o line and it wasn't just play calling.

Like bobo stated he's going to need a bunch of repetitions over and over and over getting his fundamentals down to have the right habits to be accurate and place the ball like a pro style QB

18 hours ago, Win4AU said:

from what i remember i believe he was a party type and gus did not care for that much. that was reported by someone on here years ago.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I don't recall our o line recruiting ever being lights out but this guy was recent when I know recruiting wasn't good. If it wasn't for defensive guys being made into o line we would look even worse. 

Then one year that was ok but it doesn't matter to sign people and then they leave. And I know it happens sometimes to people but we made it damn near a habit, especially high rated guys

We're at the point where if you see an 6'6" athletic 3 star we need to go for it at a position where we are super thin. We was there 2 years ago

I'm not defending where we are right now. Idk what year this kid was in. You haven't said his name or year, so hard to do much but guess. 

17 we signed a really good class on paper. 16 we just signed Bro Hamm. 15 was pretty good interior and Bailey Sharp was probably similar to the guy you're talking about. 

If it was 17, he probably wasn't a take after signing a 5* kid and also Troxell 

Gus's biggest issue was signing no one or 1 for 2 years the a huge class. Caused a lot of weird gaps, especially when kids left. Also, never developing anyone. 

Right now, we're going after a lot of 3* kids. Offering a few kids from Texas. We'll need good evaluation and good development for a cycle or two. 

Edited by W.E.D

Saw a take on the o-line the other day that I thought put it really well but will probably be received poorly by many. In addition to the lack of talent we have recruited, we have also gotten away from getting guys with huge mean streaks in them for the most part. Keiondre Jones seems to have it, but I would agree we have a lot that don't seem to have it. Guys over the past few years that barely hold their blocks and do the minimum. Time to find some guys like Dismukes that want to straight up drive folks into the ground again. I think Harsin will find a way to bring that mentality back

• Like 2