Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

Liked the effort and think we are going in the right direction, but damn that Bobo call, bothered me. I know a lot of people here complained about press man, but soft zone just gets under my skin man, when you have no pass rush, it hurts 

• Like 4

Happy with the way the team played. Too many mistakes to beat a good team on the road. Wasn’t crazy about some of the play calls on offense. And the defense really struggled with the tempo. We fought hard and it didn’t go our way.  I think this team has potential to be pretty good by end of the season. Need to find some playmakers at WR

• Like 5

Been a regular here since '98 and that game thread had a couple dozen "Auburn" posters I've never seen before. Not surprisingly, most read like troll/plants or lost bamzos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I’ll eat crow - I said back in the summer this game would be ugly.  It wasn’t.  We just don’t have the horses yet - particularly in the trenches.  But our time is coming.  Keep the faith, brothers.

WDE

Well, this is why I've been concerned about our recruiting.

That said, I think we have plenty to build on as well...

• Like 1

We wouldn't have even been in the game under the old regime. Would have folded when down 11pts. That said, that fumble to start 2nd half really was the game. Even has horrible as that 4th and goal play call was lol. I hate the loss because we really should have won that game. But I'm proud of the effort. We'll do fine in SEC play compared to way others look.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A tough loss but Penn State deserved to win.

I agree, but we also out smarted ourselves. Some bad play calling at times. Defense confused at times. Biggest disappointments were no pass rush and Bo Nix doesn’t always look like a 3 year starter. Proud of the fight and rooting for my team always. Grow from this one. Looking forward to a good year War Eagle 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I just don't get, you have tank and hunter and you throw a low percentage damn fade

I can’t get over this . I’m so mad 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

The game plan of make Bo Nix beat you worked to perfection. He couldn’t do it. 

Bo played a very good game. He in no way was the reason we lost this game. Unlike their QB he was under pressure more and his receivers never had much separation. He took what was given. It was coaching especially of D side but more because their OC used Dotson well and the TE's well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I will say it was fun to watch a tough game where I knew we were in it the whole time. I loved the two times the offense responded with a TD drive after Penn State put us in a hole. I never felt like the offense had no chance to move the ball. Definite improvement overall. 

• Like 3

We have talent. We’ve got some great athletes. They’ve got heart. They are strong, fast, and well conditioned. This is going to sound like an overreaction, but I believe the playcalling in this game, particularly the offense but also the defense, was literally so bad that I would be OK with firing Bobo now. Vanilla, mind-boggling, predictable, I think everybody that watched that game understands that we are going to lose a lot of football games this year. It’s just not good and it’s not auburn caliber. We deserve better coaching than this.  The players deserve better.  Wow. Horrible. Ultra-low percentage passing on first down.  The trick play. The fade.  The only reason we were in that position on fourth down was because of that low percentage pass on first down   I still can’t believe that fade. It played out EXACTLY like anyone would have predicted it would.  And the defensive scheme was atrocious. The players deserve better.  I think we have unreal talent. We spotted them seven points, and we were still in this football game. On the road against a higher rated opponent and a hostile environment. We were clearly the better athletes. I just can’t believe what I just watched. 

but, because Coaching is part of the overall package, and based on coaching alone, Penn State was certainly the better team tonight

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

How many yards receiving did the PSU tight ends have tonight. On at least four plays, they were running like they were out to practice early. 

There were some questionable offensive play calls for sure but this loss is on the defense. 

Somebody please tell Derrick Mason that tight ends are eligible receivers.

On a positive note, the players fought to the very end. They never gave up and they never gave in.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

It always sucks to lose but honestly I enjoyed the effort and grit. I really felt we had a chance all the game. And that’s something I won’t take for granted after experiencing Gus’s years. There’s a lot to work and improve on but going to a whiteout game against #10 team in nation with a first year coach plus installing his own brand around here? 

I’m sleeping good tonight.

This game looked exactly like other similar games from the past decade.  The play calling by Bobo was as bad or worse. That hot mess coming out of halftime was one that will be legendary for how bad of a call it really was.  The fade to an empty corner was a close runner up.  And finally, they have to get their clock management and time out process worked out.  That defensive time out that helped PSU's offense is a mystery.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This loss is not all on Hudson, but that fumble was a huge play. If he holds the ball he's still running. Nobody in front of him 

Actually there were blue shirts all around him.  Kinda why they were able to just jump on the fumble.  It was a crap play call, no way to sugar coat it.

• Like 1

I feel like all in all we played like a top 20 team. Maybe a top 10 team. Tough road environment and few mental errors. Proud of our players. But look at the pass percentages of the opposing teams from the  first 3 games and its horrifying. We are one of the worst teams against the pass. And that's a bit terrorifying

• Like 2

That first play of second half was terrible - it set a terrible direction. At that point it should have been 4 and 27 getting the ball. All Day everyday.

No blitzing early - allowed Clifford to become too comfortable. Needed to hit him early and get him thinking

That 4th down fade - junk it. Find something different. Junk the fade. That was weak stuff

Targeting calls are horrible - the game shouldn't kick out key players doing their job. He was reaching for the goal line.

Tank and Hunter need to be ridden hard and put away wet. They looked good.

Offensive Line gets a B in my initial thoughts - they kept Bo relatively clean and in that environment they had few penalties. Tank and Hunter got holes to run through.

SEC refs are the all time worse - sure we knew that but wow that was some pure garbage from those guys. Just garbage.

• Like 1

Bad bad play calling at crucial times on offense. 

Only thing on defense that really bugged me was a lack of pressure on the QB and letting him get into a rhythm. 

But the positive note is that it didn’t look like the moment was too big for our team, the OL looked competent, and the team never looked like they gave up. 

Take it for what you will

• Like 2

I’m disappointed but that game matches what my expectations were coming into the season. I said it in the other post but outside of our RBs and our LBs, this is an average team at best. It doesn’t look like our recruiting is going to be great this year either so my expectations for next year or even the next aren’t very high. We got to get better guys and we got to settle in a lot more. In other words we got a looooong way to go. I hate that but it’s the truth. 

Hey at least we ain’t losing with Gus. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Side Note: The play calling on both sides were god awful. No excuse for that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clwn said:

We wouldn't have even been in the game under the old regime. Would have folded when down 11pts. That said, that fumble to start 2nd half really was the game. Even has horrible as that 4th and goal play call was lol. I hate the loss because we really should have won that game. But I'm proud of the effort. We'll do fine in SEC play compared to way others look.

This is exactly how many games played out in the past.  With the exception of a couple bama games and last year's spectacular fail at uga, it is exactly how most of our losses looked.