Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

Frustrated with the loss, but there is definitely a lot to build on. It's still early, but PSU might be the best team in the B1G with OSU struggling against Toledo for much of the game. 

Overall I'm not too disappointed. We played well enough to win if we fixed some critical mistakes and had a better game plan.

Bo Nix did well enough to win, he's not going to win games on his own and he didn't perform in the 'clutch', but he didn't do anything to cost the team either. He's got to have a lot of help from the rest of the offense which he didn't really get tonight.

The most controversial thing that Harsin has done so far...Hiring Mike Bobo is still a question mark. Our offense wasn't completely lethargic like we saw with Malzahn a lot in big games, but there was a lot of questionable playcalls that didn't seem to utilize the strengths of the players on the field.

Overall the better team won I think, which sucks, but we fought hard and showed some promise.

We play one of the toughest schedules in the nation so we'll still see a few more losses this season, but hopefully we'll fight them as good as we did tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

This team wins nothing until Bo Nix is gone.

Ok really how are you just blaming BO? He can't catch the damn ball too. The Wrs couldn't catch a cold tonight.

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I’m disappointed but that game matches what my expectations were coming into the season. I said it in the other post but outside of our RBs and our LBs, this is an average team at best. It doesn’t look like our recruiting is going to be great this year either so my expectations for next year or even the next aren’t very high. We got to get better guys and we got to settle in a lot more. In other words we got a looooong way to go. I hate that but it’s the truth. 

Hey at least we ain’t losing with Gus. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Side Note: The play calling on both sides were god awful. No excuse for that. 

9 wins by 2023. Period.

9 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

To me, the three biggest moments of this game were:

1. The first play of the second half

2. Our first timeout of the second half

3. The fade call

Any of those not happening and this game could have, and probably should have, gone our way.

I understand a pass play but we have a couple of TE's in the 6'6" to 6'7" range if going to throw a pass there at least make it a jump ball where we have a size advantage.

• Like 1

Just now, CoffeeTiger said:

he's not going to win games on his own and he didn't perform in the 'clutch

This needs to be accepted by all. This is why it is important hunter and tank stay healthy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fishepa said:

The game plan of make Bo Nix beat you worked to perfection. He couldn’t do it. 

Thing is he didn’t need to had they just stuck to the script. Like they say keep it Kiss and we are probably having a different conversation right now

We fought like hell against the #10 team in the country.

We are a good team. PSU has had a few years with the same coach and system. 
We fought. I’m OK with that!

• Like 1

Not 1 player has anything to be sorry about in this game, they left it all on the field.  Our coaches are paid a lot of money to make those calls and that 4th down call was just insane.    The first half defensive strategy was equally poor.  I am proud of how the players fought but very disappointed in the play calling on offense and defense.  If anything cost us the game it was the coaches.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Liked the effort and think we are going in the right direction, but damn that Bobo call, bothered me. I know a lot of people here complained about press man, but soft zone just gets under my skin man, when you have no pass rush, it hurts 

This is what concerns me and always did when we hired Bobo.  That fourth down play is what UGA fans know too well.  They did not like him and were happy when he was let go.  It’s like when the Seahawks opted to throw instead of hand the ball to Lynch to win the Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Game Three of the Harsin Era. Close Road Loss to a Ranked Team. 

We have really improved since Harsin Arrived, and we were close here. We need a little more time.

What has Harsin done so far?
We have eliminated most of the stupid..
We have eliminated most of the stupid..playcalling. Trick play to start the Third Quarter was dumb as hell. Fumble that gave them 7 of the 8 point win. 
We have eliminated most of the stupid..penalties. We still get too many, but not like under Malzahn.
We have eliminated most of the stupid...decisions. 

We are moving in the right direction. But we still need to get rid of the Malzahn Era crapola.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Bad coaching cost us this game. End of story. 

Bad game coaching?  maybe

But good coaching got us to this point. 

We're just a few OL classes behind most opponents.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I’ll eat crow - I said back in the summer this game would be ugly.  It wasn’t.  We just don’t have the horses yet - particularly in the trenches.  But our time is coming.  Keep the faith, brothers.

WDE

Glaring holes have a tendency to show themselves in tense moments. We have talent, but not all around. We'll see how we come out from this. We have a chance to man up from it and get better. We shall see.

• Like 2

Just now, CCTAU said:

I agree. We took the number 10 ranked team in the country, down to the wire, in their home stadium. With a few different plays called on offense, we could have won that game. Maybe Harsin learns from this, and makes sure Bobo, doesn't do do. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

Feel horrible for Tank. If I was him I would be livid. You and Hunter carry the team on your back during multiple drives only to have the ball taken out of your hand on the most important play.

• Like 4

A little short across the board. Missfortune for Zacoby. Bo is better-ish but not good enough for prime-time. BoBo is better than gus but not elite. Defense good enough to win- but can't sack anybody. If I had to point a finger at the real difference- it's the wide recievers. Their wide recievers made big-time plays, ours (combined with Bo and our Sunbelt O'line) didn't even really even cover the basics. If we grow from here we can play spoiler and have fun. This wasn't our year to begin with

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, AUwent said:

9 wins by 2023. Period.

And I can see that being the case and would agree that to be a sensible demand if our team wasn’t in the condition it is in. Truth about it is, settling in on recruiting takes some time and when you’re not winning it makes that even harder. Our OLine actually played good this game but we are in very bad condition there. If you do not have an OLine you do not have a team. Period. 

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

This game looked exactly like other similar games from the past decade.  The play calling by Bobo was as bad or worse. That hot mess coming out of halftime was one that will be legendary for how bad of a call it really was.  The fade to an empty corner was a close runner up.  And finally, they have to get their clock management and time out process worked out.  That defensive time out that helped PSU's offense is a mystery.

All of that and we still lost by one score. And these decisions felt they can be changed and managed. Will we adjust? That remains yet to be seen, but I’m feeling cautiously optimistic. I get what you’re saying, though. An OC like Bobo with his pedigree should know better, I agree.

I did see a different mentality but, unfortunately, some of the same execution. Our run defense is stout. Way to many blown coverages in the pass game.  Maybe there is a reason we don't blitz often.

O line was improved, not quite lights out but much better. Our edge rusher were non existent.

Tank and Jarquez may be the best duo in the country.

Overall I loved our mentality, felt like young men playing instead of high schoolers. Even though I am disappointed with the loss I am proud of how we took one on the chin and punched back just as hard. 

Edited by tbone4jc