Penn State Post Game Thread

AuburnNTexas

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

9 wins by 2023. Period.

If it takes 3 years to get to 9 wins, that means that we lose to our rivals plus deliver a few signature wins to new coaches.  Sound familiar?  This place will come unglued.

We're not the better team right now, but the gap isn't a lot.  They have better weapons at WR, a better pass blocking OL, and are better at QB.  That plus a home field advantage ends up about where it ended for us tonight.  And the thing is, if you don't have the fumble on the 1st play of the 2nd half and maybe a better play call than that fade route, we still might have pulled it off.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

The people who rank teams disagree with you.

Also too everybody needs to say we need to get better as a team. There shouldn'tbe any calling one person or one group out today. We need upgrades at every position other than hb on offense

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

To me, the three biggest moments of this game were:

1. The first play of the second half

2. Our first timeout of the second half

3. The fade call

Any of those not happening and this game could have, and probably should have, gone our way.

4. Our miserable play by our secondary.

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Feel horrible for Tank. If I was him I would be livid. You and Hunter carry the team on your back during multiple drives only to have the ball taken out of your hand on the most important play.

Yep. It’s the same type of call that the Seahawks called in the super bowl. Feed the hot hand, the people who’ve been keeping us in the damn game. Baffling. 

4 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Game Three of the Harsin Era. Close Road Loss to a Ranked Team. 

We have really improved since Harsin Arrived, and we were close here. We need a little more time.

What has Harsin done so far?
We have eliminated most of the stupid..
We have eliminated most of the stupid..playcalling. Trick play to start the Third Quarter was dumb as hell. Fumble that gave them 7 of the 8 point win. 
We have eliminated most of the stupid..penalties. We still get too many, but not like under Malzahn.
We have eliminated most of the stupid...decisions. 

We are moving in the right direction. But we still need to get rid of the Malzahn Era crapola.

Not sure we watched the same game..

3 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Game Three of the Harsin Era. Close Road Loss to a Ranked Team. 

We have really improved since Harsin Arrived, and we were close here. We need a little more time.

What has Harsin done so far?
We have eliminated most of the stupid..
We have eliminated most of the stupid..playcalling. Trick play to start the Third Quarter was dumb as hell. Fumble that gave them 7 of the 8 point win. 
We have eliminated most of the stupid..penalties. We still get too many, but not like under Malzahn.
We have eliminated most of the stupid...decisions. 

We are moving in the right direction. But we still need to get rid of the Malzahn Era crapola.

That running TD by Tank gave me hope - that would have been a Carlson FG last year - but that fade was crap - so in the end it's a wash

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Also too everybody needs to say we need to get better as a team. There shouldn'tbe any calling one person or one group out today. We need upgrades at every position other than hb on offense

Exactly, nobody did enough for us to win BESIDES the RBs.c

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

People saying we were the better team.....where? Besides hb where?

LB, maybe? But that would be it. 

Still, there wasn't some huge talent disparity. 

Too bad we didn't use those hb's on 4th down and goal. 

This one is a tough one to swallow. Here are my take aways from live watching full of emotion.

1. Bo played well enough for us to win and with it being on the road against a top ranked team, I am ok with that. He wasn't perfect and missed some throws, but he played well enough to win the game. I saw a lot of improvement in his game tonight. He hit check downs. He stepped up. Improvement. He was average which with the exception of #6 below, would have been good enough to win. 

2.- We have the best RB duo in the country. Hands down. 

3- if a position group cost us here, I would have to go with WR.

4- the OL played well enough to win.

5- The Defense for most of the game played well enough to win. Need to fix the coverage bust.

6- Coaches did not coach well enough to win. 

This was one of the more frustrating games I have watched in a while. On one hand, I saw a lot to like in that we didn't make a lot of silly penalties and we looked prepared and gave good effort. On the other hand, I can not get behind the game plan on offense. RBs didn't get near the carries they should have in the 1st half. I will not even call out the obvious one on 4th and 2. SMMFH. That one was difficult.

I think we still have potential to do some good things this season. I am not going to overreact. I think on O we need to do what we do best. Line up, tell them we are going Tank Right and Jarquez Left....and lets see who wins. I don't think many teams can stop them. 

On Defense, I really need to re-watch before saying much, but I will restate that minus the coverage bust I think the players played well enough to win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I just want Harsin to come out and own the loss now.  Tell me you recognize it and how we're moving forward.

And things of that nature...

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

???

It's not out of the question that we win 9 games this season.  

This was in response to Hunter's prognostication. It is plausible for sure.

Edited by AUwent

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

This one is a tough one to swallow. Here are my take aways from live watching full of emotion.

1. Bo played well enough for us to win and with it being on the road against a top ranked team, I am ok with that. He wasn't perfect and missed some throws, but he played well enough to win the game. I saw a lot of improvement in his game tonight. He hit check downs. He stepped up. Improvement. He was average which with the exception of #6 below, would have been good enough to win. 

2.- We have the best RB duo in the country. Hands down. 

3- if a position group cost us here, I would have to go with WR.

4- the OL played well enough to win.

5- The Defense for most of the game played well enough to win. Need to fix the coverage bust.

6- Coaches did not coach well enough to win. 

This was one of the more frustrating games I have watched in a while. On one hand, I saw a lot to like in that we didn't make a lot of silly penalties and we looked prepared and gave good effort. On the other hand, I can not get behind the game plan on offense. RBs didn't get near the carries they should have in the 1st half. I will not even call out the obvious one on 4th and 2. SMMFH. That one was difficult.

I think we still have potential to do some good things this season. I am not going to overreact. I think on O we need to do what we do best. Line up, tell them we are going Tank Right and Jarquez Left....and lets see who wins. I don't think many teams can stop them. 

On Defense, I really need to re-watch before saying much, but I will restate that minus the coverage bust I think the players played well enough to win. 

Did you sleep thru the Malzahn Era?

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Thing is, PSU isn’t any better than most of our SEC schedule. Unless we correct some things, this is going to be a pretty rough year. 

We do need to correct some things, but that first sentence is garbage.  Only teams left on our schedule clearly better are literally the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the country.

• Like 3

This game is everything some of you guys told me the previous staff was and this staff wasn't. I wouldn't even bring this junk up if you didn't convince me. For a fleeting moment, I thought that castaway that wasted NFL RB after NFL RB and NFL WR after NFL WR at UGA wasn't a scrub. I respect Derek Mason, and I know he will improve, but that was Steele-esque. No adjustments. He said, "you're not gonna get anything on the interior, and anything else, we'll see". And we saw. Got killed side to side. Zone got busted. Edge just unraveled for 70% of the game. Could NOT blitz. 

That was the thing that really got me. I thought this guy would allow for you to do change ups. We simply couldn't...because no one was prepared for that. They couldn't identify when TEs would split out wide, they couldn't ask LBs to stay with anyone in pass coverage for any period of time. And those are emblematic, in very similar ways, to what the previous regime had.  

If it was just a personnel butt whooping, you could live with it. But THAT!?!?!?!?!? 

• Like 2

No pass rush. Biggest disappointment of the night to me.
Other than 4 and 27 there's not a player on offense who scares anyone. WR, QB and OL are lower end SEC
That damn fade route with a QB who struggles with accuracy and no #1 WR while 4 and 27 dont touch the ball may be the most bizarre call in AU history.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I'm concerned about the early reliance on some sort of terrible Zone that doesn't seem to see TightEnds at all....   and Bobo's two mini-strokes in the second half.