Harsin Lost us this Game

AUght2win

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Our kids are 10-2. Our staff is 6-6. I'm not saying to fire the guy. But we have had 4 games where coaching decisions were the difference. Period. 

But you are. I’m sure recruits will love to play for a fan base who will throw a hissy fit and turn on their coaching staff. Great job. You’re doing our rivals a great favor. Keep it up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

You’re right about the rebuilding year, but blowing leads in three straight games.   Totally unsat.  

I don’t want to see Harsin bolt.  I want to see him pull his head out of his ass and not lose to Miss State, SCar and put some points on the board against ATM.  

I agree for the most part.  The MSU and USCe games are definitely inexcusable, but he was without a handful of starters in key positions going against a much more talented team today.  I’m sick about the loss, but feel really good about the progress that appeared to be made today.  I just don’t understand what some of the people on this board expect him to accomplish with the current level of talent.  Although it’s not unreadable to expect some improvement over the course of the season, it can’t always be measured by wins and losses.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 1

In about three weeks we're going to find out exactly what kind of shape the program is in when we see the results from the early signing period. Hopefully things will be looking up by then

12 minutes ago, selias said:

I want to laugh and love that post. Parents age. It sucks but such is life. I'm back within a 2hr drive of my parents, and 15 minutes to my little brother.

Me and a friend that hails from TX educated our common friends on the glory that is a "boil" so, all is not lost. Educating Buckeyes on good, proper, and sharable Southern food is a bit of a reward in itself.

I am fortunate as my parents are still in good health. However, the thought is always in the back of my brain due to their age. Glad you are there and have family close by. 

Teach those damn Ohio people how to cook. There is more to life than potatoes(and I love potatoes).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Bird is a football coach. I think he may have a little different perspective. How many games have you coached? I have coached high school basketball, but I couldn't begin to scheme offenses, and defenses in the game of football, like these coaches. I coached a flag football team, once. LOL. This year turned out about like everyone thought it would. We were a few plays short, but there was marked improvement in many areas. IMO. Your beginning argument was, "Harsin cost us this game". That is so untrue. He was the reason we were competitive in it. 

Alright then let's breakdown the final 11 minutes. I'll pose things in yes or no questions.

1. Have you ever seen a quarterback more severely injured and hobbled sent back onto a football field than TJ Finley was tonight?

2. Do you think it was wise to call a pass with him on the first play following the injury, after a crucial 4th down stop from our defense, and holding a 10-0 lead late in the game? Reminder, this pass was intercepted, immediately resurrecting Alabama's hopes. 

3. Do you think it was wise to keep him in after his 2nd attempted pass was ALSO intercepted, even though we were bailed out by a roughing call?

4. With the clock stopped following Tank's run out of bounds with 1:40 to go, setting up a 3rd and 2, did you agree with not taking a timeout to come up with the best possible playcall to seal the game? (The Shenker play would have won the game then and there.)

5. On the actual 3rd and 2, did you like the HB dive call with no lead or pulling blockers into the teeth of a goalline set?

I'm giving you specific questions. I don't come to these opinions lightly. If you want to dismiss them, do so by making an argument.

5 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I agree for the most part.  The MSU and USCe games are definitely inexcusable, but he was without a handful of starters in key positions going against a much more talented team today.  I’m sick about the loss, but feel really good about the progress that appeared to be made today.  

The slump in late season, is a concern. That could be attributed to lack of depth, injuries, and simply doing what you can with what you got. To win 6 games, and take the number 2 team in the nation, to 4 overtimes, is good coaching, and a lot of heart in these players. I have to agree with you. 

• Like 1

Give Michigan some credit. They stayed patient with Harbaugh. After sticking with Gus for 8 seasons. Eight. We can’t get through 1 year and we want to throw Harsin to the wolves.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I agree for the most part.  The MSU and USCe games are definitely inexcusable, but he was without a handful of starters in key positions going against a much more talented team today.  I’m sick about the loss, but feel really good about the progress that appeared to be made today.  I just don’t understand what some of the people on this board expect him to accomplish with the current level of talent.  Although it’s not unreadable to expect some improvement over the course of the season, it can’t always be measured by wins and losses.  

Guys. Please stop making a "current level of talent" excuse. Throw out the rankings. Throw out the stars. Did Alabama look heads and shoulders better than us today? No.

Were MSU and USCe clearly more talented than us? No.

Just now, slyinsocal said:

Give Michigan some credit. They stayed patient with Harbaugh. After sticking with Gus for 8 seasons. Eight. We can’t get through 1 year and we want to throw Harsin to the wolves.

I never said I want the guy fired. In fact I've gone on record saying he should get a minimum 3 years barring a scandal or Chizik level collapse.

People project so much.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Alright then let's breakdown the final 11 minutes. I'll pose things in yes or no questions.

1. Have you ever seen a quarterback more severely injured and hobbled sent back onto a football field than TJ Finley was tonight?

2. Do you think it was wise to call a pass with him on the first play following the injury, after a crucial 4th down stop from our defense, and holding a 10-0 lead late in the game? Reminder, this pass was intercepted, immediately resurrecting Alabama's hopes. 

3. Do you think it was wise to keep him in after his 2nd attempted pass was ALSO intercepted, even though we were bailed out by a roughing call?

4. With the clock stopped following Tank's run out of bounds with 1:40 to go, setting up a 3rd and 2, did you agree with not taking a timeout to come up with the best possible playcall to seal the game? (The Shenker play would have won the game then and there.)

5. On the actual 3rd and 2, did you like the HB dive call with no lead or pulling blockers into the teeth of a goalline set?

I'm giving you specific questions. I don't come to these opinions lightly. If you want to dismiss them, do so by making an argument.

Then why are you on a forum? Take your brilliant recliner play calling and coaching abilities to the field where you can do some real good for Auburn football. Show the world how great you are. Get on a coaching staff and make a difference.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

Then why are you on a forum? Take your brilliant recliner play calling and coaching abilities to the field where you can do some real good for Auburn football. Show the world how great you are. Get on a coaching staff and make a difference.

Better question is why YOU are on a forum. Do you know what they're for? 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I never said I want the guy fired. In fact I've gone on record saying he should get a minimum 3 years barring a scandal or Chizik level collapse.

People project so much.

Then what are you doing? Are you helping recruiting? Are you in the meetings? On the sideline? In the coaches? Are you an analyst? No? What is your goal? Have the coaching staff apologize? Publicly? What?

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Guys. Please stop making a "current level of talent" excuse. Throw out the rankings. Throw out the stars. Did Alabama look heads and shoulders better than us today? No.

Talent level is a problem. You may not like it but, that doesn't make it go away. The previous staff seriously neglected a couple key position groups for recruiting and/or development. It is what it is.

I agree, MSU and USCe are not more talented but it's a 1st year staff working together for the 1st time. Hiccups/speed bumps happen. I remain on the fence with Bobo however, I am willing to give Mason another year to fix things. The transition from 4-3 to 3-4 base is not easy.

Edited by selias
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Bo  Nix played with a broken ankle a couple of weeks ago and many in this board were singing his praises.  Now many of those same people want to blame Finley and/or Harsin when TJ was evaluated by medical staff and cleared to play.  Perhaps we should blame the medical staff...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and you can’t guarantee that any of your ideas would have worked with absolute certainty.  If you throw to Shenker earlier, he could have dropped the ball.  Bama made a play or two more than we did and that’s the difference in the game.  

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

Then what are you doing? Are you helping recruiting? Are you in the meetings? On the sideline? In the coaches? Are you an analyst? No? What is your goal? Have the coaching staff apologize? Publicly? What?

I'm dead serious in saying this is not the place for you if you believe every fan should only have positive opinions about what Auburn does on the field. Like, go sit with the coaches' wives or something. Football forums are for discussion, and very very very VERY much of it is critical discussion.

Everybody saying "golly gee that was a swell game all around" would kind of defeat the purpose don't you think?

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Talent level is a problem. You may not like it but, that doesn't make it go away. The previous staff seriously neglected a couple key position groups for recruiting and/or development. It is what it is.

I agree, MSU and USCe are not more talented but it's a 1st year staff working together for the 1st time. Hiccups/speed bumps happen. I remain on the fence with Bobo however, I am willing to give Mason another year to fix things. The transition from 4-3 to 3-4 base is not easy.

Mason has been outstanding and his work has been undone by Mike Bobo almost every week. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

How much better did we look than Bama?

2 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Bo  Nix played with a broken ankle a couple of weeks ago and many in this board were singing his praises.  Now many of those same people want to blame Finley and/or Harsin when TJ was evaluated by medical staff and cleared to play.  Perhaps we should blame the medical staff...

Hindsight is always 20/20 and you can’t guarantee that any of your ideas would have worked with absolute certainty.  If you throw to Shenker earlier, he could have dropped the ball.  Bama made a play or two more than we did and that’s the difference in the game.  

It wasn't hindsight. Go check the game thread. I was screaming it the moment I saw TJ couldn't even jog out onto the field. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Those negative plays in which tank ran into brick walls really hurt. Even one first down and Auburn probably wins. With TJ hurt it was 10 against 11

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

Just now, gctiger said:

How much better did we look than Bama?

We looked 7 points better for 59:36. 

We absolutely kicked their ass defensively. I mean, manhandled them. Argue otherwise, please. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I'm dead serious in saying this is not the place for you if you believe every fan should only have positive opinions about what Auburn does on the field. Like, go sit with the coaches' wives or something. Football forums are for discussion, and very very very VERY much of it is critical discussion.

Everybody saying "golly gee that was a swell game all around" would kind of defeat the purpose don't you think?

Yep. And if I’m a rival, I’m showing this to every recruit out there. Again. Great job.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

There's a difference between being "golly gee that was a swell game all around" and your drumbeat of "this staff sucks". Spin it how you like in your head, but that's what your recent threads are.

"I don't want to fire Harsin" yet you start a thread titled "Harsin Lost us this Game". So yeah, I'm calling you out for speaking out both sides of your mouth.

Edited by selias
  • Thanks 2

Just now, AUght2win said:

Mason has been outstanding and his work has been undone by Mike Bobo almost every week. 

You really think that he called an outstanding game against MSU???

• Haha 1

As I more or less stated in another thread: 

The guys played hard for Harsin, so I'll give him a pass for another season if he sends Bobo to the glue factory and finds an OC with some creativity and the balls to not sit on a 10 point, 20 point or 30 point lead against any SEC opponent.