Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Really seems like this is something we should have known about before wasting 10 days trying to hire him

No. It’s not. 

say Harsin talked to Hill and Hill and Harsin were agreeable to the hire PENDING our compliance getting everything checked out which to me sounds plausible. 
Now evidently ASU slowalked or stalled giving Auburn the info they needed to vett Hill. 

that’s not Auburns or Harsin’s fault. 

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, nurbis said:

Does nobody else think Davis sounds like a bad option? He has never been an OC, he has never had to recruit, he has no ties to the south, and he has no connections with Harsin so we have no clue how well they will work together. He has only been a coach for 3 years and he is the QB coach of Russell Wilson which means he probably is not doing much. The upside is he can talk about a connection to the NFL and he may be learning a good bit about Seattle's offense but what else is there? 

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Hill but I can't help but feel like he would have been a better option, primarily because he had OC experience and had a connection with Harsin so you knew they could work well together. 

One thing I'll say,  most coordinators and HC do not have prior history together before being on the same staff.  And he's been in Seattle with Harsin in Boise. So probably had an eye on him.  As @bigbirdsays, all good coaches have a short list of names for a staff on standby. 

Also, didn’t LSU bring in Brady from New Orleans where he was not a coordinator? And he helped them as a co coordinator of the offense to a NC. 

Harsin is an offensive guy, w a history as a OC so he and Davis could work together on play calling. 

I agree. It’s not a big deal if he had not been an OC. 

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 1

Really like that list except Dilly. I dont know if he is dating CBH daughter or a distant cousin but he shouldn’t be getting a look. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, metafour said:

What does having called plays have to do with recruiting?

Rhett Lashlee had basically no experience whatsoever and he was one of the strongest recruiters on Malzahn's initial staff. Young coaches can bond pretty easily with HS kids, and in this case this is a guy who would be coming from the NFL.

Kinda like young HS baseball coaches being able to bond pretty easily with senior girls they teach in their science class.

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

Does nobody else think Davis sounds like a bad option? He has never been an OC, he has never had to recruit, he has no ties to the south, and he has no connections with Harsin so we have no clue how well they will work together. He has only been a coach for 3 years and he is the QB coach of Russell Wilson which means he probably is not doing much. The upside is he can talk about a connection to the NFL and he may be learning a good bit about Seattle's offense but what else is there? 

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Hill but I can't help but feel like he would have been a better option, primarily because he had OC experience and had a connection with Harsin so you knew they could work well together. 

Davis has a nearly identical resume to Joe Brady before he was hired at LSU.

Also worth noting, Kellen Moore (current Cowboys OC) was promoted to that role after only being a QB coach for a short time.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Is there any truth to we are interested in Dell atm?

Well he keeps getting mentioned so I'd say signs point to yes. The beat-writers-sphere have suggested Harsin wants to up Auburn's recruiting game. Dell certainly fits that bill if so...

McGee would be the dumbest hire.  

The man has never coached an offense, he has never called plays.  He’s a RB coach because that is the LEAST technical position to coach.  Perfect place when you need a spot for a recruiter.  

He was a CB in college, so his background as a player is on defense.

He’s not qualified to run Auburn’s offense, period. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Also, didn’t LSU bring in Brady from New Orleans where he was not a coordinator? And he helped them as a co coordinator of the offense to a NC. 

Harsin is an offensive guy, w a history as a OC so he and Davis could work together on play calling. 

I agree. It’s not a big deal if he had not been an OC. 

He was brought in as passing game coordinator with Ensminger being the OC and supposed playcaller.  I say supposed playcaller because when he was at Auburn his play calling was absymal and 2 out of the 3 years he was OC at LSU the only 2019 was the playcalling great which coincided the year Joe was there.  In addition, Joe sat next to Ensminger in the booth.  Yea we know who was making the calls in 2019. 

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Why would Jeff Grimes want to leave a great situation at Baylor with Aranda to move to Auburn?  Waco is a nice place to live.  Baylor is a fantastic place to coach.  They just won the Big 12 championship game with their back up QB.  Baylor can afford to pay him anything anyone else would.  You don't leave that to rescue a 6-6 program at the school that once fired you.

Everything you said makes sense except "Waco is a nice place to live."   You been there for more than a stop at the DQ?  I am guessing you have not.  I am not bagging on Waco, but I live in TX and don't know a lot of folks that would agree with you.   

But for job security and growth - yeah - stay there.  Personally, Grimes is my #1 

25 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

fantastic OC. Sounds like he has already accepted another job 

Absolutely fantastic OC. Looks like he is trying to spend time with family.

Wikipedia has him being the OC for Nebraska.

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Of course absolutely love Grimes OC, Austin QB coach Passing game coordinator. 

I know that there’s no way!   But still, if we came out of this with Grimes AND Davis, I would really be stoked!!!

If this doesn't strike fear into the hearts and minds of Defensive Coordinators across the SEC landscape then there is nothing else to do.......

Kenny D going to come drag his Nards over the face of everybody 😀

Screenshot 2021-12-07 4.24.07 PM.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

If this doesn't strike fear into the hearts and minds of Defensive Coordinators across the SEC landscape then there is nothing else to do.......

Kenny D going to come drag his Nards over the face of everybody 😀

Screenshot 2021-12-07 4.24.07 PM.png

We're officially at the "throw S$#@$ at the wall to see what sticks" phase.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

McGee would be the dumbest hire.  

The man has never coached an offense, he has never called plays.  He’s a RB coach because that is the LEAST technical position to coach.  Perfect place when you need a spot for a recruiter.  

He was a CB in college, so his background as a player is on defense.

He’s not qualified to run Auburn’s offense, period. 

Strongly disagree. 

No it's not the "Homerun" to most people, but Dell could be huge. He is a bon-a-fied Ace recruiter. People talk about Jimmys and Joes and how great players can make any OC look good....Enough said. Plus, he could come in and collaborate with either of our former OC/Playcallers on staff already. I would stoked if we hired Dell. Let him come bring in some legit talent for a few years. Plus, every single OC out there never called a play until they did. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

We're officially at the "throw S$#@$ at the wall to see what sticks" phase.

I saw his name on one of TOS list and couldn't resist. All I can really say is...."Please don't". Although he didn't really have much of a chance to be an OC when he was here before, but still....no.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

The more I think about it the more Grimes makes sense. Dude has done really well calling plays for BYU and now Baylor. He recruits well. OL, our weakness, is his specialty and he already knows Auburn. Would likely mean Will Friend would be gone and a QB coach would be needed but I'm sure things can be shifted around.

PLEASE!!!!! Grimes would fix this OL for sure and he has looked really good the past few years. JG is a homerun hire to me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I ain't too sure why some of y'all are so dead set against some folks. If he is an Ace recruiter and we can get him, then I say do it. Without the Jimmies and Joe's we got nothing and his rep as a recruiter says HIre, Hire, Hire!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JG = Jon Gruden?  QB whisperer to the stars?  Gruden and Harsin could stand on the sideline and make faces all game.  

Probably could get a bargain Basement deal on JG right now too!

Edited by Win4AU

2 minutes ago, warhogone said:

I ain't too sure why some of y'all are so dead set against some folks. If he is an Ace recruiter and we can get him, then I say do it. Without the Jimmies and Joe's we got nothing and his rep as a recruiter says HIre, Hire, Hire!

Talking McGee?  Harsin will have to play a bigger part in the offensive coordination and perhaps playcall.  Or Kiesau will be a shadow coordinator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1