Potential OCs for 2022?

AUApostle

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m a little skeptical that a guy that has never called plays would light it up on the recruiting trail. I hope you’re right though 

What does having called plays have to do with recruiting?

Rhett Lashlee had basically no experience whatsoever and he was one of the strongest recruiters on Malzahn's initial staff. Young coaches can bond pretty easily with HS kids, and in this case this is a guy who would be coming from the NFL.

• Like 1

so is Ludwig out and Grimes just an impossibility?

What I don't understand is that we can afford to pay Bobo for 2 yrs to not coach, but we can't afford to pay his replacement.

"penny wise and pound foolish"

I am sure there is more to this riddle, but come on. 

17 minutes ago, metafour said:

Austin Davis would be an exciting hire. He would probably also be a good recruiter (super young, NFL clout).

There is a very real and noticeable trend with young offensive coaches getting elevated quickly for these roles. It's not just Joe Brady and Jake Peetz, but also Liam Coen at Kentucky. They hired him away from the LA Rams where he was just the Assistant QB Coach. He is also the primary recruiter on one of their best commits: 4* WR Barion Brown.

The same thing is happening in the NFL where there is a push to find the next Sean McVay.

If we want to go this route, let's just steal Liam Coen.  

Edited by AURealist

Word is we're moving on from Zak Hill. Maybe he is in trouble for recruiting issues like the compliance compartment was concerned he might be.

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

Davis piques my interest, for sure. 

I just watched him mic’d up at Seahawks minicamp. I’m going to keep watching film

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Word is we're moving on from Zak Hill. Maybe he is in trouble for recruiting issues like the compliance compartment was concerned he might be.

Rivals just updated and said something different. Basically they added a new person but said Hill was still not out of it and we’re still waiting.  Of course I have no idea if Rivals is correct because lately no one is correct about coaches at AU haha

Names that are supposedly serious contenders per Auburn Live:

Frank Ponce - App State OC & QB coach

Jeff Grimes - Baylor OC & OL coach

Dell McGee - UGA RB coach

Austin Davis - Seattle QB coach 

Kenny Dillingham - FSU OC

I'm fairly confident they're full of crap about Dillingham. No way in hell that would make sense other than maybe wanting some of these recruits we've been fighting FSU for?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Rivals just updated and said something different. Basically they added a new person but said Hill was still not out of it and we’re still waiting.  Of course I have no idea if Rivals is correct because lately no one is correct about coaches at AU haha

It's called CYA. That way they can say they were right regardless of who it is.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Names that are supposedly serious contenders per Auburn Live:

Frank Ponce - App State OC & QB coach

Jeff Grimes - Baylor OC & OL coach

Dell McGee - UGA RB coach

Austin Davis - Seattle QB coach 

Kenny Dillingham - FSU OC

I'm fairly confident they're full of crap about Dillingham. No way in hell that would make sense other than maybe wanting some of these recruits we've been fighting FSU for?

That's a good list.  The only name that gives me pause is Dillingham.  Not sure he got a fair shake last time in Auburn so really no clue what kind of coordinator he is or could be.  

• Like 2

Just now, casatiger said:

That's a good list.  The only name that gives me pause is Dillingham.  Not sure he got a fair shake last time in Auburn so really no clue what kind of coordinator he is or could be.  

Same here.

• Like 1

The more I think about it the more Grimes makes sense. Dude has done really well calling plays for BYU and now Baylor. He recruits well. OL, our weakness, is his specialty and he already knows Auburn. Would likely mean Will Friend would be gone and a QB coach would be needed but I'm sure things can be shifted around.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The more I think about it the more Grimes makes sense. Dude has done really well calling plays for BYU and now Baylor. He recruits well. OL, our weakness, is his specialty and he already knows Auburn. Would likely mean Will Friend would be gone and a QB coach would be needed but I'm sure things can be shifted around.

Would be nice if it were to be Grimes and Davis offvthat list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Austin Davis and Harsin spoke today. The dude is only 30 and I'm pretty sure he's the youngest coach/position coach in the NFL right now. He played in the NFL for a while at QB and threw 300+ passes; more experience than a lot of guys get in the league. Seems sharp.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Austin Davis and Harsin spoke today. The dude is only 30 and I'm pretty sure he's the youngest coach/position coach in the NFL right now. He played in the NFL for a while at QB and threw 300+ passes; more experience than a lot of guys get in the league. Seems sharp.

Young guy who will be hungry to make a name for himself. I would love it. He will probably want to tear up the recruiting trail. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Young guy who will be hungry to make a name for himself. I would love it. He will probably want to tear up the recruiting trail. 

Yeah a 30 year old with NFL playing and coaching experience (Russell Wilson's coach) couldn't hurt you on the trail.

0EGhlbvf_400x400.jpg.7629747b844234b393bad1ff935e0e23.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah a 30 year old with NFL playing and coaching experience (Russell Wilson's coach) couldn't hurt you on the trail.

0EGhlbvf_400x400.jpg.7629747b844234b393bad1ff935e0e23.jpg

I’m laughing at his dumb face there, not your post 🤣

• Like 1

Why would Jeff Grimes want to leave a great situation at Baylor with Aranda to move to Auburn?  Waco is a nice place to live.  Baylor is a fantastic place to coach.  They just won the Big 12 championship game with their back up QB.  Baylor can afford to pay him anything anyone else would.  You don't leave that to rescue a 6-6 program at the school that once fired you.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m laughing at his dumb face there, not your post 🤣

Agreed lol but we better keep him away from the college girls 🤣