Smoke Monday: Linebacker?

TexasTiger

I never really thought Smoke Monday was that good and would be surprised to see him make much of an impact at the next level tbh and even less so as linebacker. for instance, I felt someone like robinson therezie had much more of an impact (even with less stats at au) but went undrafted and Smoke Monday, while his name is awesome seemed to border on the line of minor asset to potential liability from game to game.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

It's what our other safety did and people can hate all they want but he has a nose for the ball and he's a playmaker. Could be good. Actually he could end up being better than McClain

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's what our other safety did and people can hate all they want but he has a nose for the ball and he's a playmaker. Could be good. Actually he could end up being better than McClain

I'm thinking Will Herring and Daren Bates both did it, too.

• Like 3

Didn't Mark Barron switch to linebacker too. I could see Smoke as an LB. Not a bad option. He's got the size and speed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, targeting aside he was a good solid player for us and he’ll be missed. Seems like if you don’t play like Eddie Jackson at Bama then you want get much appreciation playing safety

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

He's too slow to play safety IMO. OLB might be a better fit for him. 

4.52 isn't slow I don't think. Not elite, but fast enough.

Jordan Davis 4.78 at 6'6" and 341 lbs. should be illegal though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not sure about this year but 4.52 was much better than average for a safety in last year's combine. 

Edited by McLoofus

Props to him on the 40 time. His top end speed and stiff hips were his biggest limiting factors here, but I think he can make a nice career if a team utilizes him right. After his awful game against Penn State Mason seemed to use him more around the LOS and let him do what he does best 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure about this year but 4.52 was much better than average for a safety in last year's combine. 

It's more than pure straight line speed.  I don't think he has the change of direction/fluid ability to play well at safety in the NFL.  There have been plenty of S like that who transitioned to long careers in the NFL.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm thinking Will Herring and Daren Bates both did it, too.

Both of those had time at LB in college. And were a little bit more built to be linebackers. Smoke reminds me of Neiko. And like Neiko, I think Smoke could make a squad as a secondary depth and special teams guy. Smoke is opportunistic, I just don’t know if he has the tangibles to be an every down NFL player.

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah, targeting aside he was a good solid player for us and he’ll be missed. Seems like if you don’t play like Eddie Jackson at Bama then you want get much appreciation playing safety

I would say that he was solid in run support and good at blitzes.   I think he would be a much better linebacker than safety.   He was very suspect in defending the pass.   Unless the light bulb comes in the NFL, he won’t last long as a safety.   

4 hours ago, oracle79 said:

You don’t need to know what his 40 is (Davis). What his 5 is much more important for 99% of his plays.

Edited by Hank2020

I personally dont see him having the body type needed to shed trash at the NFL level. Hes probably got good enough strength at the safety position, I just dont see that at linebacker....even outside linebacker unless it's like the star position or something like that. He might be a good candidate for a team that utilizes that position but not one that expects the outside backer to engage lineman and such. 

I think J Sherwood was moved down to LB for the Jets this year and played in a few games.  Also, I wanna say the Cardinals did this a couple of years ago with one of their safety's.  His name escapes me at the moment but pretty sure he was in the top 2-3 on the team in tackles. 

NFL combine recap: Auburn DB Smoke Monday

ByNATHAN KING 17 hours ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

Why Won't NCAA Properly Address Targeting & Injuries? (Late Kick Cut)

Smoke Monday had a knack for finding the ball at Auburn — whether with a big hit or an interception. Now, after four productive seasons as a Tiger, he's looking to become the fifth safety drafted out of the program in the past seven years.

Monday started the past two seasons at safety for Auburn but was an important piece of the secondary since his true freshman year, appearing in 50 games in his career. He had three pick-sixes in his Auburn career and 171 tackles.

The Atlanta native is projected as a mid-round safety, currently ranking as ESPN's No. 17 player at the position. How much did the former four-star recruit help his draft stock at the combine? Here's a rewind of how Monday performed in Indianapolis.

MEASUREABLES

Height: 6-2

Weight: 207

Arms: 32 1/2"

Hands: 9 1/8"

DRILLS

40-yard dash: 4.52 (13th out of 16 safeties)

Bench: DNPs

Vertical: DNP

Broad jump: 124" (6th out of 17 safeties)

3-cone drill: 7 (6th out of 7 safeties)

20-yard shuttle: DNP

60-yard shuttle: DNP

SCOUTING REPORT

(via NFL.com's Lance Zierlein)

"Two-year starter with a fierce field demeanor but limitations that could be a concern in the passing game. Monday's an alpha with hitting always on his mind, but occasionally the big-game hunting will lead to missed tackles. He lacks top-end speed to stay connected for long periods of time and his instincts and play recognition can be spotty when processing. Monday should find a role as a force player near the line of scrimmage but his ceiling might be dictated by how a team decides to use him."

NFL comparison: DeShon Elliott

Prospect grade: 5.98: "Average backup or special-teamer."

STRENGTHS

• Loves football and plays with passion.

• Possesses unmistakable alpha mentality.

• Viable add-on run supporter in the box.

• Flows with leverage to the ball like a linebacker.

• Looks to impose punishment when tested.

• Finished 2021 with nine tackles for loss.

• Reads quarterback for early jumps on the throw from short zone.

• Has three career interception returns for touchdowns.

• Four-phase special teams experience.

WEAKNESSES

• Stiff and upright in his backpedal.

• Below-average speed to run and cover in space.

• Tight hips stall his coverage transitions.

• Penn State's passing attack had his head spinning.

• Unsure when processing route combinations and stacked release.

• Very gullible against play-action.

• Defaults to striking rather than wrapping up the target.

I don’t think he did much for himself at the combine for a safety position!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, toddc said:

WEAKNESSES

• Stiff and upright in his backpedal.

• Below-average speed to run and cover in space.

• Tight hips stall his coverage transitions.

• Penn State's passing attack had his head spinning.

• Unsure when processing route combinations and stacked release.

• Very gullible against play-action.

• Defaults to striking rather than wrapping up the target.

yipyip.gif

• Haha 1

He could put 20-30 lbs on that frame and not lose speed looks like to me. He’s never going to be great in coverage but could be a force against the run or matching up against some of the big TE-types lining up in the slot

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wglewgle629 said:

I think J Sherwood was moved down to LB for the Jets this year and played in a few games.  Also, I wanna say the Cardinals did this a couple of years ago with one of their safety's.  His name escapes me at the moment but pretty sure he was in the top 2-3 on the team in tackles. 

Deone Buchanon. From Washington state. Played at Auburn and lit up Trovon or somebody. Great player.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:45 AM, bigbird said:

I'm thinking it's been so long since we've had an elite safety...

If we could just get a Buddha Baker or, better yet, a Kam Chancellor I’d be ok with that

• Like 1