A-Day Game thread

Tigerpro2a

15 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

You guys really need to slow down on the Holden hype. A true frosh completing routine throws in a literal scrimmage isn't enough to warrant throwing him into the SEC fire.

Your correct, and of course we'd love for him to be able to get molded for a year. However, Harsin may not have that luxury. This is his guy, and his backs on the wall. 

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

Your correct, and of course we'd love for him to be able to get molded for a year. However, Harsin may not have that luxury. This is his guy, and his backs on the wall. 

If he’s to coach like this is potentially his last season, with THIS roster, he’s probably doomed from the jump (and much of the youth he’d be asked to throw in the fire). 
Just play out the plan, and if it doesn’t work, so well. Gus doing whatever he did with Nix in 2019 permanently affected both of their careers, and not for the best 

• Like 3

My initial thoughts, keeping in mind it’s A-Day, select personnel, etc. 1) I like the fluidity in which Ashford plays, both with his arm as well as legs. With his size and and skill set, I think if he bears down on the playbook he could be a factor come fall practice. 2) Sean Jackson will be a big asset for us and Cam Riley stood out as well.  3) DL could be really good. 4) Our TE’s must be utilized a lot, deep and talented group  5) It’s so funny watching TJ roll out on a boot leg. He’s a mountain of a man but he is in perpetual slow motion. 

• Like 1

I have yet to see anyone advocating for Holden to start. I am definitely not.  People are excited.  He showed some very nice things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Didba said:

I have yet to see anyone advocating for Holden to start. I am definitely not.  People are excited.  He showed some very nice things.

No, you are!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Everybody thinks that Trevor Lawrence and Tua are the norm now, not the exception. The expectation now is for Tr Freshmen to be great by the time they set foot on campus. But that’s still extremely rare. 

Not sure why @Didbafaceplamed this, but its true. Nearly all TrFr QBs should never start. They aren't ready

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Didba said:

People have called for him to start. Countless people called for DD to be the starter last spring and going into fall.

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Not sure why @Didbafaceplamed this, but its true. Nearly all TrFr QBs should never start. They aren't ready

That's not what I am facepalming. I agree with that. I was facepalming the "everybody"

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

People have called for him to start. Countless people called for DD to be the starter last spring and going into fall.

*in this thread

Knowing who TJ is right now, imo it comes down to which one of Calzada/Ashfords potential weaknesses or unknowns is better. Calzada's mobility or Robby's ability to stretch the field. Can Calzada roll out and move in the pocket with this bad OL? Can Robby be accurate on deep balls and stand in long enough? Gonna be fun 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HabitualChiller said:

You guys really need to slow down on the Holden hype. A true frosh completing routine throws in a literal scrimmage isn't enough to warrant throwing him into the SEC fire.

I disagree what I liked is how quickly he found the receiver and delivered the ball. He caught receivers in stride on the slants, he threw back shoulder in the end zone and he threw a high pass to Frazier where only Frazier could catch it even though he was well covered. I don't think he will be our starter but he showed quick decision making and was very accurate. He took what the Defense gave him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Tell me what you don't like about Finley and what you don't like about Zach and why you think neither of them are good? Curious especially on Calzada.

Calzada did nothing at A&M to indicate that he’s anything more than a bottom 3rd of the league QB, other than beating Alabama. TJ is just too slow to be a QB behind this Oline. We leaned on Bo’s ability to extend plays last year, heavily. This is the same dudes up front. It’s foolish to think we wont need that kind of QB again this year. Also, even the times he did have a chance to sit in the pocket, TJ didn’t throw particularly well.

• Like 6

A few of you commented meh on the O-line. While I did not think they were a well oiled machine I saw some things I liked. Stutts played well, Jernigan played well, Zierer played well. Langlo looked bigger and stronger and will be a player next year.  With all the mixing and matching you were going to have issues but that can be worked out with repetition. I thought they looked more physical then last year especially the second team O-Line. I was expecting more from Coffee. Seeing Zierer, Stutts, Jernigan and Langlo look solid gives me hope.  Don't forget we get our best O-Linemen Jones. I think Stutts may have earned a starting nod and Langlo and Jernigan are positioning themselves for next year.

On O-line I was watching individual players more than the unit. As a Unit there were people who came through clean not sure if that was O-Line , TE, or RB as I don't know calls and responsibility.  For those who said it was Meh you are right as a unit but not right on some individual players.

Our TE's are really good and we have different types. Capers and King give us a couple of bigger WR's and we have some really quick smaller wr's and better play calling. 

I thought Ashford was best QB. I liked everything Geriner did but it was not against 1st team defense and some defenders were not even 2nd team when he was in.  I think coaches are going to have a tough decision on who starting QB is. TJ is an enigma in that he can make great throws followed by bad throws or worse throws into coverage on 1st drive he was in command then after that not so much..

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

Playing a true freshmen may not be the norm but it’s not such a daunting task that it’s never been done before. If the freshmen is the best option than the best player should be on the field. Not sure what Calzada gonna do but for me TJ appears to be 3rd at best  without seeing Calzada run plays

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Calzada did nothing at A&M to indicate that he’s anything more than a bottom 3rd of the league QB, other than beating Alabama. TJ is just too slow to be a QB behind this Oline. We leaned on Bo’s ability to extend plays last year, heavily. This is the same dudes up front. It’s foolish to think we wont need that kind of QB again this year. Also, even the times he did have a chance to sit in the pocket, TJ didn’t throw particularly well.

Well, that's the thing unfortunately. He may be a bottom third QB in the SEC, but that's the most proven we got right now. TJ as of now is not an SEC starter, maybe even P5. The other two ooze quality SEC potential, but we have no clue until the real bullets fly at them. 

How about play the guy who can make routine plays with the 1s,2s or 3s? I bet you that is what CBH says captain obvious. Anymore is just complete overthinking which I fully expect from now until this fall.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

How about play the guy who can make routine plays with the 1s,2s or 3s? I bet you that is what CBH says captain obvious. Anymore is just complete overthinking which I fully expect from now until this fall.

That's message boarding 101. We got this 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

That's message boarding 101. We got this 

I cannot wait bro. Qb battles always bring out the most well logical and rounded discussions [yellow font]. Only second to head coaching searches of course. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Honestly loved what I saw out of Ashford. Having a qb that us a threat with his legs might mask some of the inadequacies our offensive line presents with run blocking. He looked pretty sharp with the ball and made quick decisions which I liked. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I cannot wait bro. Qb battlers always bring out the most well logical and rounded discussions [yellow font]. Only second to head coaching searches of course. 

I didn’t watch the game and I already have my mind made up on who should lead this team in 2022.  My next mission is finding stats, quotes, rumors, and misleading photos/clips to back me up.

• Love 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

I didn’t watch the game and I already have my mind made up on who should lead this team in 2022.  My next mission is finding stats, quotes, rumors, and misleading photos/clips to back me up.

Don’t forget 10 second IG backyard passes in perfect condition 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DAG said:

Don’t forget 10 second IG backyard passes in perfect condition 

Summer can’t get here fast enough!

Just watched the film. Hope the team and continue to gel and get stronger this summer. Could be a rough year coming up. 

• Like 1