"Bo sucks or Bo's wonderful" Megathread

Didba

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

LSU 2021

I meant to say besides that LSU game. That was a good game. But to be what the op described going to need a bunch more than that. What games has Bo carried us on his back basically

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Bo had some great escapes and good runs. Hard to sack. But he had a frenetic style and demeanor I won’t miss.

I agree. Bo had some plays where he ran around very hard

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Bottom line the standout players that’s probably going to the NFL are from the last regime.

And what I am saying is by that logic you might as well credit Gus with MW going to the NFL because he offered him as QB. Sorry, but that is not sound. I honestly don't even know what point you are trying to prove other than to give Gus props for something he has nothing to do with. In fact, I am willing to bet Kobe Hudson will regress under CGM.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

And what I am saying is by that logic you might as well credit Gus with MW going to the NFL because he offered him as QB. Sorry, but that is not sound. I honestly don't even know what point you are trying to prove other than to give Gus props for something he has nothing to do with. In fact, I am willing to bet Kobe Hudson will regress under CGM.

The point I am arguing is the statement of bad roster management and that the current coach has so much to clean up. Yes in some spots it was bad  and others it wasn’t . Malik Willis doesn’t apply because he isn’t on the team. I am solely talking about the recruits that’s on the team and wasnt recruited by the current coach. In 2023 we will be able to truly see what the current coach has recruited and does with solely his guys. 

Edited by e808

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I meant to say besides that LSU game. That was a good game. But to be what the op described going to need a bunch more than that. What games has Bo carried us on his back basically

Bo made a few incredible plays that won the LSU game. But he only completed 52% of his passes that day. Either way, I will still give him that game. 

I also liked his game against Arkansas last year. 21 of 26 and he hit a couple deep passes. High completion percentage and the long ball. The two things he could never consistently accomplish. He didn't carry the team on his back, so I'm not really addressing your question. Just having conversation.

Bo definitely lost us way more games than he won us, but everyone already knows how I feel about this. 

1 minute ago, e808 said:

The point I am arguing is the statement of bad roster management and that the current coach has so much to clean up. Yes in some spots it was bad  and others it wasn’t . Malik Willis doesn’t apply because he isn’t on the team. I am solely talking about the recruits that’s on the team and wasnt recruited by the current cosch

But the point you made has nothing to do with bad roster management. You made four examples and said this guys are uplifting the roster to prove that the last regiment didn't have a penchant for bad roster management. It literally makes zero sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But the point you made has nothing to do with bad roster management. You made four examples and said this guys are uplifting the roster to prove that the last regiment didn't have a penchant for bad roster management. It literally makes zero sense.

Again the point is we shall see in 2023 was the roster management as bad as it seems when the last of the guys are gone. If it was that bad as perceived all those guys will be gone and we should have studs all over the field.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Didba said:

I'm talking about Gus's overall tenure, not just players on the team right now. Defensive players are not within the scope of what I was referring to.

I will give Gus some credit for hiring defensive staffs that were consistently good at recruiting and development. 

It's difficult to even evaluate how well Gus recruited on the offensive side, because he had no clue how to develop them or put them in a scheme that could succeed. I do know QB and OL talent was woefully lacking for years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm a believer in Calzada because I have to be. I see the reality that he is going to be the starter. In an ideal world I'd agree with you that TJ and every QB should get the leash Bo got, but it's not gonna happen. Harsin would be begging to get fired praying that he's improved that much in one offseason. And while Calzy isn't some proven stud, he's played at a higher level than Finley to this point.

Bo was the exception not the rule. He got all the blind support and long leash because

1. Gus didn't recruit anyone capable behind him and

2. Gus and the media hyped he would win a natty as the 5 star beloved son, and fans bought it as some AU wild destiny story we have had our share of, and couldn't let go when it became obvious it wasn't gonna happen with him and

3. the legacy stuff and people getting nostalgic about Dye. Not even because his dad Pat was some great QB, he wasn't, but because his pops was recruited under Dye, and people get nostalgic about that early 90's era and

4. Gus had zero balls and wasn't gonna move on, because he'd look like a total fool doing so a year after he proclaimed this guy as the dude who would next take him and AU to a natty.

Fortunately he and likely Harsin saw the writing on the wall. He even realized that his own student section was sick of him, and arguably rightly so, and both parties at least had the wisdom to accept that and move on from each other now. Yes his family and him made some cringe comments and posts that rubbed me the wrong way as well, but that's how it goes with everyone nowadays. People are gonna blindly defend their family members, and I get it.

Hars and Nix could've tried to prolong the divorce for another year, which would've caused even more arguing and angst. Thank goodness for self-awareness prevailing there. At this point I'm content to let him be at Oregon and move to fall camp, but again, talk about whatever I'm not a mod.

A bunch of that is true, so just like people can accept all the reasons why Bo could be afforded all this preferential treatment then they can accept me pointing it out. 

If they can do things like hype up mediocre play for one guy they can certainly support the other. If they could go crazy and demand you respect the feelings of a player and not say things like he needs to be able to throw the ball better, then it's certainly ok for me to remind the same people who said that, they shouldn't be saying things like the QB is trash.

Now I absolutely understand holding people accountable and feeling like people should be treated fairly and equal is going to make people angry, especially on here but I'm going to do it.  And that's all I'm doing or at least that's all I'm worried about doing. So if it bothers whoever that I have to bring up the receipts oh well.

• Like 2

Just now, e808 said:

Again the point is we shall see in 2023 was the roster management as bad as it seems when the last of the guys are gone. If it was that bad as perceived all those guys will be gone and we should have studs all over the field.

Yeah that is a silly assertion. And it is extreme as hell. It has no substance in what your saying, nor do you have any specifics to base any of this on. The players on the field right now are CBH players due to the fact he has been actively developing them. JSS is not a Gus Malzhan product no matter how much you want to lie to yourself about that. If he is blessed to make it to the next level, it is due to the work and tutelage of this regime, as well as his own individual work ethic.

• Like 1

Speaking of prophesy: I recall somebody on this board, back when Joey Gatewood was a high school sophomore, saying he was already a better QB than anybody AU had on the team. I don't think that one turned out so well. :)

Sean White did win some games so.....

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. Bo had some plays where he ran around very hard

This was a helluva play:

I don’t mind that he’s gone, but he was a sporadic playmaker— not consistently,  though. And not a great leader, IMO. I think the team admired his toughness, but didn’t see him as a strong team leader.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

A bunch of that is true, so just like people can accept all the reasons why Bo could be afforded all this preferential treatment then they can accept me pointing it out. 

If they can do things like hype up mediocre play for one guy they can certainly support the other. If they could go crazy and demand you respect the feelings of a player and not say things like he needs to be able to throw the ball better, then it's certainly ok for me to remind the same people who said that, they shouldn't be saying things like the QB is trash.

Now I absolutely understand holding people accountable and feeling like people should be treated fairly and equal is going to make people angry, especially on here but I'm going to do it.  And that's all I'm doing or at least that's all I'm worried about doing. So if it bothers whoever that I have to bring up the receipts oh well.

You've been consistent in what I think is your overall point: If you have given Bo the benefit of the doubt for years, despite his obvious flaws, then you have to do the same for the new QB's. 

I was down on Bo in his second year so I can say I am not very high on TJ, either. I don't know about Calzada yet, because I haven't watched every snap he's played, like I have Bo and TJ. I do predict he will start. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah that is a silly assertion. And it is extreme as hell. It has no substance in what your saying, nor do you have any specifics to base any of this on. The players on the field right now are CBH players due to the fact he has been actively developing them. JSS is not a Gus Malzhan product no matter how much you want to lie to yourself about that. If he is blessed to make it to the next level, it is due to the work and tutelage of this regime, as well as his own individual work ethic.

Ok man, u are completely missing the point. How those his players when he didn’t recruit them . People have been saying for months wait let him clean house.  Let him get his guys in. Now claiming guys he didn’t even recruit are his guys. That talent was scouted and brought in by the previous regime. The current staff is struggling to bring in guys of a Tank. We not gonna see eye to eye on this but it’s a message board of opinions. It’s all good sometimes we agree and sometimes we dont.

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

Ok man, u are completely missing the point. How those his players when he didn’t recruit them . People have been saying for months wait let him clean house.  Let him get his guys in. Now claiming guys he didn’t even recruit are his guys. That talent was scouted and brought in by the previous regime. The current staff is struggling to bring in guys of a Tank. We not gonna see eye to eye on this but it’s a message board of opinions. It’s all good sometimes we agree and sometimes we dont.

Because he developed them. Are you seriously trying to give Gus Malzhan credit for the production of JSS? HOW?! He had no hand in his development. I already gave Gus credit for being a good recruiter but I am not giving him props for guys he had no hand in developing. You really can't see the difference in those two? Bringing in talent is one thing. DEVELOPING THEM IS ANOTHER.  

20 minutes ago, cbo said:

Bo made a few incredible plays that won the LSU game. But he only completed 52% of his passes that day. Either way, I will still give him that game. 

I also liked his game against Arkansas last year. 21 of 26 and he hit a couple deep passes. High completion percentage and the long ball. The two things he could never consistently accomplish. He didn't carry the team on his back, so I'm not really addressing your question. Just having conversation.

Bo definitely lost us way more games than he won us, but everyone already knows how I feel about this. 

I don't think I remember watching a game and thinking if it wasn't for Bo.......I don't even remember feeling comfortable. But that's not just Bo that's with any QB last year or the year before. I'm literally going to go look at some arky highlights so I can have some fond memories. Thanks!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Speaking of prophesy: I recall somebody on this board, back when Joey Gatewood was a high school sophomore, saying he was already a better QB than anybody AU had on the team. I don't think that one turned out so well. :)

Sean White did win some games so.....

Oh man that must have been when somebody on this board said Willis needs to move to safety because he didn't have the arm talent Bo had.......

• Like 1

AU was 6-3 in games Bo started, 0-4 in games he didn't start so if winning matters......

Edited by Mikey

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because he developed them. Are you seriously trying to give Gus Malzhan credit for the production of JSS? HOW?! He had no hand in his development. I already gave Gus credit for being a good recruiter but I am not giving him props for guys he had no hand in developing. You really can't see the difference in those two? Bringing in talent is one thing. DEVELOPING THEM IS ANOTHER.  

I solely talking about the recruiting part . Yes JSS has developed but he didn’t recruit him. Tank, Owen, Hall and Colby Wooden all were highly rated and doing well prior to CBH arrival. U can even throw in McCreary. Again the most successful players aren’t his to date.

That’s why I keep saying 2023 we will have a clearer picture. His recruits. His development.  

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Oh man that must have been when somebody on this board said Willis needs to move to safety because he didn't have the arm talent Bo had.......

No, that was before Gus discovered Willis and was the only coach to offer him at QB.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

YES! THANK YOU.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e808 said:

I solely talking about the recruiting part . Yes JSS has developed but he didn’t recruit him. Tank, Owen, Hall and Colby Wooden all were highly rated and doing well prior to CBH arrival. U can even throw in McCreary. Again the most successful players aren’t his to date.

That’s why I keep saying 2023 we will have a clearer picture. His recruits. His development.  

But now you don't want to bring up JSS? Lol. I am done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

or someone on thus board that think all time yards leader is a relevant stat for QBs in the modern era

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am a sad 🤡

Edited by Didba
e808, my bad.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, that was before Gus discovered Willis and was the only coach to offer him at QB.

Oh now we can mention Gus? 

😂