5* CG Aden Holloway signs with AU

toddc

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I'm hoping.

Our biggest concerns seemed to be short guards the last 2 seasons.

Hoping we get back on track with this one.

We’ve had more of a problem with the style of play than just them being short. WGJ needed to be a facilitator (which never seemed to be his game, tbf to him) for the team’s sakes and Zep was useless offensively. 

If they could’ve been more of what we needed in those capacities, I think it would’ve eclipsed the problems netted from their lack of size 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I'm hoping.

Our biggest concerns seemed to be short guards the last 2 seasons.

Hoping we get back on track with this one.

Bruce has also had great success with them too. It’s pretty impressive that with all the flaws and grief Wen gets he still was second team all sec. He’s our floor for a Bruce pg and that’s really great for us.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We’ve had more of a problem with the style of play than just them being short. WGJ needed to be a facilitator (which never seemed to be his game, tbf to him) for the team’s sakes and Zep was useless offensively. 

If they could’ve been more of what we needed in those capacities, I think it would’ve eclipsed the problems netted from their lack of size 

Wen’s lack of size really only came in to play with his 3 point shot. It really affected him there. It’s why he had to take way to many long 3’s because that’s the only way he would get a clean look off. It’s why his 3 point % eroded from eastern kentucky to when he got here. He actually did pretty well for a guy his size of finishing at the rim. Yah he got blocked from time to time but he was much better at finishing at the rim with his crafty shots in the paint than he was at generating good in rhythm 3 point attempts that weren’t nba range.

• Like 5

The Wendell Green PG experience leaves me whelmed. 

Edited by Tiger
  • Haha 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

6'2?! Where? Are they counting from the top of his head? Lol

In shoes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

6'2?! Where? Are they counting from the top of his head? Lol

this should help clear things up!

• Haha 2

• Love 1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Love 1

We’re getting a really good one right here y’all!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

ESPN just made Aden a 5* and the #16 iverall prospect in their rankings.

I would like to see Tre get a fair shake to start, partially because I love the way he plays the game more than his own production, but this kid is definitely a special talent 

• Like 1

Aden Holloway #16

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

UK 3 of the top 6 👀😬😬😬

Yeah the rich just get richer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah the rich just get richer.

And they’re ready to throw away what’s-his-name…Calipari as their coach, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Auburn PG signee Aden Holloway elevated to 5-star in final 247Sports rankings

11 minutes ago

Thanks to a stellar finish to his high school career, Auburn point guard signee Aden Holloway now finds himself as one of the best in the country in the final 247Sports rankings update for the 2023 class.

Already a 5-star in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Holloway will also finish as a 5-star in the 247Sports rankings and the No. 14 overall player. Out of Prolific Prep (Calif.), Holloway is also the No. 2 point guard in the class and No. 2 player from California. Holloway finished No. 17 in the 247Sports Composite.

With the bump, Holloway is now the second-highest-rated signee in Auburn basketball history behind just Jabari Smith, who was the No. 7 player in his class. Yohan Traore at No. 24, Sharife Cooper at No. 27 and Mustapha Heron at No. 28 in their respective classes round out the top five highest-rated signees in program history.

247Sports only handed out 15 5-star rankings in the final 2023 class rankings. Since 2018, 247Sports had handed out at least 24 5-stars in every class before the 2023 cycle.

Playing in the McDonald's All-American Game and other basketball tournaments before enrolling at Auburn, Holloway has shined and showcased his skillset over the last few months.

At the end of March, Holloway contributed 15 points on 2-of-4 shooting from beyond the arc, plus two assists, two rebounds and three steals in the prestigious McDonald's All-American Game. He was plus-7 in 14 minutes on the floor, the second-best mark on his team.

“It’s a dream,” Holloway said during an ESPN interview after the first quarter of his decision to play at Auburn. “Playing for Coach (Bruce) Pearl is a blessing.”

Listed at one point below 6-foot, Holloway has now measured as tall as 6-foot-2 at a Nike Hoops Summit. 

With Wendell Green Jr. departed, Holloway and sophomore Tre Donaldson will compete for the starting point guard position this season.

"Auburn has become a place where fast, quick, creative guards have flourished," Pearl said after his signing. "Aden is a special winner. He has a high basketball IQ and the unique ability to create for himself and others. People just love playing with him."

Holloway is the lone high school signee for Auburn in the 2023 class. He is joined by FIU shooting guard transfer Denver Jones and UAH transfer Chaney Johnson as Auburn reshapes its roster. Auburn is also heavily in pursuit of a couple of different transfer options for the small forward position.

247Sports scouting report on Holloway:

"Holloway is one of the best shooters in the class. He has a ton of gravity as a spot-up shooter, has deep range without altering his mechanics, can come off screens, and has a compact release. He’s also a tough shot-maker off the dribble who can create space with step-backs or by using his body, and does an excellent job of getting both feet set underneath him. While he came up the ranks as more of an undersized two-guard, he has shown real progression with his playmaking within the last year. He’s playing with pace in the open floor, starting to throw some impressive passes more frequently, and taking care of the basketball with better than a three-to-one assist-to-turnover ratio. After playing alongside Fears in high school and Dillingham in the EYBL, he has yet prove himself as a full-time handler and decision-maker against highest level competition though. Physically, he lacks great size, length, or sheer athleticism, but is competitive enough to compensate."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Rednilla changed the title to 5* PG Aden Holloway signs with AU
  • ellitor changed the title to 5* CG Aden Holloway signs with AU

Also apparently is now 6'2" which is a solid height for a PG.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Also apparently is now 6'2" which is a solid height for a PG.

I'm a bit incredulous about that, but then I guess he's about 17, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he grew a couple of inches since his last height check.

Kinda crazy that we've now signed a 5-star in four consecutive years, and the year before that, we signed Isaac Okoro, who was just outside of the 5-star category. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I'm a bit incredulous about that, but then I guess he's about 17, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he grew a couple of inches since his last height check.

Kinda crazy that we've now signed a 5-star in four consecutive years, and the year before that, we signed Isaac Okoro, who was just outside of the 5-star category. 

I said 6'2" based on the article. That said as we all know published heights and weights of athletes have been known to be incorrect. Lets hope this is accurate. Either way he is a great player who deserves his 5th star and I am super happy he is committed to Auburn. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I said 6'2" based on the article. That said as we all know published heights and weights of athletes have been known to be incorrect. Lets hope this is accurate. Either way he is a great player who deserves his 5th star and I am super happy he is committed to Auburn. 

Oh, I know, I'd seen that listing, too, I was just commenting that I don't know how legitimate it is.