All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

JD Rhym being with the vets as a true freshmen is HIGHLY impressive. Think he was the only freshmen with them.

Roosta Dawson running ahead of JJ.

DL and EDGE players are huge. It's crazy how big they are. Marcus Harris and Leota done blown up specifically.

On OL, Zierer, Jones, and Stutts all look a lot better. Stutts has slimmed down and improved explosion. Council looks the same, which is not good since he was so overweight and out of shape last year. Not trying to degrade him, but he very well may lose his job to Kam Stutts, and rightfully so.

Rookie practice about to start. Excited to see this one since we'll see first action shots of many guys

• Thanks 1

Only tuned in looking for “ so and so threw (x#) of interceptions” in the first practice……guess it was a good day 

Apparently Geriner was dropping dimes in the afternoon session and Camden Brown went beast mode. Didn't drop a single ball in his radius

• Like 6

I'm tired of losing': Tigers draw motivation from 'tough' 2021 finish

7 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama — The 2021 season was a first for Colby Wooden — and not one he ever wanted to experience.

“I've never in my life had a losing record,” Wooden said on the first day of preseason practices Friday. 

Wooden hasn’t exactly experienced immense success with the Auburn program yet. He was a seldom-utilized true freshman on the 2019 team that went 9-3 in the regular season and beat Alabama. But since emerging as a leader along the defensive front, the Tigers’ on-field results have been less than optimal.

Wooden is likely entering his final college season after opting not to declare for the NFL draft this past winter. He, of course, has designs on being a highly rated draft pick this time around. But the kind of impact he has on Auburn’s 2022 success is paramount.

“That was a tough pill to swallow,” Wooden said of last season. “So I had to go back to the drawing board: 'OK, what can I do better to get myself better, not only for draft purposes but as far as the team?' I feel like this team can go so far and do so much. We owe it to Auburn.”

The combination of last year’s sour finish and the dramatics of the early offseason inquiry into Bryan Harsin — which left the entire program in limbo for a week — is now serving to create unity for the squad, as Auburn is entering its first weekend of preseason practices.

“I graduate in December, so I kind of want to go out with a bang,” Wooden said. “Started with Owen (Pappoe) and Derick (Hall) and Luke (Deal), all the other guys that came in with me. And we've just got to finish the deal. That's basically it. Finish the deal."

Hall, a senior edge rusher who tied for third in the conference in sacks last season, echoed similar sentiments as an SEC Media Days representative last month.

“Why would I leave and miss out on the college experience?" Hall said. "You never get that back. Just being able to play with my brothers one more time. ... I love Auburn, and Auburn loves me back, for sure. Everybody takes care of me. … I wanted to give back to them one more time. If I had to make the decision again, I’d definitely still come back for 2022.”

While the offense may be working out some kinks in the early season, Auburn's defense is littered with veteran pieces on each level. Pappoe knows it's on him, a 2021 team captain, and other experienced Tigers to set the tone for a bounce-back campaign — one in which external expectations are low, with Auburn picked to finish last the SEC West in the preseason media poll.

“Me, personally, I’m tired of losing, and that’s the message we’ve all been preaching to the team,” Pappoe said. “We want to come out and make a difference this year, so we’re going into this season with a chip on our shoulder. I can’t wait to see what happens, man.

• Like 1

Can’t lie I don’t like seeing Jeremiah Wright moves around so much. It’s hard for him to get a good grasp of something and get on the field if he’s always getting moved 

• Like 2

It cost a dollar man! I know it’s vip but thought people would pay that.

I was considering and almost got there but found the disclaimer of when you can cancel too complicated.  Didn't want to get stuck with $100 next year lol

• Like 2

I was considering and almost got there but found the disclaimer of when you can cancel too complicated.  Didn't want to get stuck with $100 next year lol

Just got my renewal email today and canceled it in about 15 seconds. Easy as pie and then they gave me 60 more days free.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Just got my renewal email today and canceled it in about 15 seconds. Easy as pie and then they gave me 60 more days free.

Oh so they sent you an email about it? That's good. 

• Like 1

Raving reviews for Camden. We need that big body possession guy at WR. Also watch out for Jay Fair. Dude might steal some PT from somebody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Raving reviews for Camden. We need that big body possession guy at WR. Also watch out for Jay Fair. Dude might steal some PT from somebody.

Expecting big things from Brown

• Like 1

Ditto for me.  I was close but backed away for the same reason you did.  I don’t like auto renewals anyway.

• Like 1

My guess would be Javarius Johnson if he does, and I think it could much more possible than we think

• Like 2

No group needs to show up more so than the Oline this season and hopefully having continuity in coaching helps.

Confident' Auburn offensive line grateful for rare coaching continuity

71 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

QBs and DLs drill on Opening Day of Auburn Football Practice

AUBURN, Alabama — Year-over-year coaching continuity has been difficult to attain in the Auburn football program over the past few years.

The head-coaching change in 2020 played a big role in that, of course. But even from Bryan Harsin’s first season to now, less than half (four coaches) of the 10-man assistant staff are currently in the same role as 2021.

And perhaps none are as crucial to improvement at his position group than Will Friend, who’s just the second Auburn offensive line coach to return for a second consecutive season with the program over the past five years.

Austin Troxell would know. The sixth-year tackle was recruited by Herb Hand. Heading into Troxell’s second season, J.B. Grimesreturned to the Plains and coached the position for two years. He stepped down in 2020, replaced by Jack Bicknell Jr. from Ole Miss — who was not retained on Harsin’s inaugural staff. Friend was brought over after his most recent gig at Tennessee.

“Huge,” Troxell said Friday. “Just terminology, we know what he's thinking. He knows how we play and what we're thinking. So that's huge. I've had a lot, like you said, over the years. But Coach Friend, he's top-notch.”

That familiarity is even more crucial for the Tigers this preseason when considering their less-than-optimal injury situation in the spring. It’s a group that returns six players with starting experience, but only two of those were available for all of the spring. Troxell, Nick Brahms, Brandon Counciland Keiondre Jones all either sat out for the entirety of spring ball, or got dinged up and missed time (Jones).

None of the injuries — or recoveries from last season, in the case of Troxell, Brahms and Council — were severe, though, and the room is at full strength for the start of preseason camp, which got under way Friday morning. A first-team unit littered with inexperienced faces in the spring featured Troxell at right tackle — he started at left tackle last season, but former JUCO product Kilian Zierer seems to have that locked up — Brahms back at center and Jones back at right guard. More on Council’s battle at left guard later.

“We're a confident group,” Troxell said. “We know what we're capable of. We have a lot of depth, especially on the interior. We have a lot of guys who can play a lot of different positions. We're confident. There's a lot of things that we need to work on.”

With Troxell out, senior Alec Jacksonworked at first-team right tackle in the spring, and was expected to compete with Troxell for the starting job in fall camp. That may still be the case, though Jackson was the backup right guard in practice Friday.

Of course, it was the first day of practices, and Friend usually tests out differing lineups over the course of camp. But Auburn hopes it’s a bonus that its flexibility at multiple positions — Troxell can play either tackle, as can Zierer, and Council has played both guard spots in the past — is now compounded with added reps and confidence for the group’s less-experienced names. Even veterans like Jackson wouldn’t have received so much first-team work in the spring if not for injuries. Auburn’s hoping for a silver lining there.

“The great thing about it is, yes, we had a lot of those guys out during spring — we had some minor things and just we kind of wanted to keep them fresh and get healed up and ready for the season,” offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau said Thursday. “But the positive of that is all the guys behind them, all those backups, what you’d call 2s and 3s, they got invaluable reps. They got reps they’d never have gotten if those guys weren’t out. So getting those guys back healthy, having the 2s and 3s get that experience, get those reps, and kind of collectively putting that group together when they all come back, it’s going to be exciting. 

“I think it could really be a strong group for us up front, especially as they gain that chemistry of working together from Game 1 to Game 2 to Game 6 as the season goes on. It could be a lot of fun to watch.”

Likely the biggest standout among the O-lineman who received unexpected opportunities was senior guard Kam Stutts. With Council out, the 6-foot-5, 339-pound Stutts worked exclusively as the first-team left guard — and, again, it was the first day of practice, but he trotted out with the starters at that spot Friday. Council rotated in with the second team.

“Knowing what to do,” Troxell said of Stutts’ improvement. “I think he really got in the playbook. Running off the football — he's got really good get-off.”

Auburn’s had ample returning production up front last year, too, but still weren’t an overly consistent group. There were impressive showings blended in over the course of the season — like 207 rushing yards against Ole Miss, or an overall dominating performance at Arkansas — but especially as injuries to Council, Troxell and Brahms set in in the latter stages of the year, that steadiness took a hit.

Everyone in the building is aware of the stigma surrounding Auburn’s offensive line performance. A completely healthy unit with coaching continuity seems capable of changing it in 2022, though.

“I know when I first got here, I mean that group was — they were always under fire,” Harsin said. “Everybody was talking about the O-line. It just is what it is. And so I think we have good players in that group. I think we showed it last year at times. I don't think we're consistent enough.

"I think we've got to find guys that are going to be able to do that through four quarters.”

• Thanks 1

JD Rhym being with the vets as a true freshmen is HIGHLY impressive. Think he was the only freshmen with them.

Roosta Dawson running ahead of JJ.

DL and EDGE players are huge. It's crazy how big they are. Marcus Harris and Leota done blown up specifically.

On OL, Zierer, Jones, and Stutts all look a lot better. Stutts has slimmed down and improved explosion. Council looks the same, which is not good since he was so overweight and out of shape last year. Not trying to degrade him, but he very well may lose his job to Kam Stutts, and rightfully so.

Rookie practice about to start. Excited to see this one since we'll see first action shots of many guys

The new strength program paying dividends. These guys are changing their bodies in a big way. 

• Like 3

The new strength program paying dividends. These guys are changing their bodies in a big way. 

Cam Brown promoted to the veteran group today after dominating the rookie practice yesterday (on3)...

Edited by au302
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

1:30-2:30 -- trim hedges

2:35-5:00 -- pop 1st beer, sit in pool and cool off from hedge trimming, pop 2nd and 3rd beer

5:01 -- lite Big Green Egg, pop the fourth beer

5:02--5:30 --back in pool

5:31 -- put ribs on, grab beer # 5, back in pool

6:00 -- turn ribs, transition to red liquor (MM) w/ splash of sprite, back in pool

6:30 -- turn ribs, make red liquor drink #2, back in pool

7:30 -- first basting of bbq sauce, make RLD #3, shower

7:45 -- turn ribs and baste again

8:00 -- turn ribs one last time, baste again, make RLD#4

8:15  -- pull ribs, settle into recliner, finish RLD#4, fall asleep

12:30 (tomorrow) wake up in recliner, slightly confused, go get in the bed

6:00 -- ribs for breakfast....

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2:35-5:00 -- pop 1st beer, sit in pool and cool off from hedge trimming, pop 2nd and 3rd beer

6:00 -- turn ribs, transition to red liquor (MM) w/ splash of sprite, back in pool

You had me at pop first beer!!!!! Only problem I see was no beer after 3rd beer WTH man

You had me at pop first beer!!!!! Only problem I see was no beer after 3rd beer WTH man

5:01 pop the fourth beer

5:31 grab beer #5...

I wouldn't disappoint you.

• Love 1

No wrap? Basting instead of a beer/vinegar spray? Turning every 30 minutes? No post oak, hickory or pecan? 

scrubs-dr-cox.gif.ba0044a98e67fbdd6863218cefb269aa.gif

No wrap? Basting instead of a beer/vinegar spray? Turning every 30 minutes? No post oak, hickory or pecan? 

scrubs-dr-cox.gif.ba0044a98e67fbdd6863218cefb269aa.gif

Screw that stuff he has the BEER

• Haha 1