Why we Like Freeze

AU-24

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

They always are, responsible bc they made/accepted the decision. Thats not new to the Freeze hire. BTW failure of a hired coach doesn’t always end up with fired President/AD, but does sometimes.

Noted.  Have a good night.

WDE !!!

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Well, ya know, Freeze's winning record in the SEC is no better than Malzahn or Chizik, not even close to Tuberville.

Let's not start having orgasms until he actually produces on the field - know what I mean?

I don’t think anybody is having any orgasms. Some of us are just excited to see a coach that is excited about recruiting. Can people also wait before saying that he’ll need voodoo to win in the SEC?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warnugget said:

I don’t think anybody is having any orgasms. Some of us are just excited to see a coach that is excited about recruiting. Can people also wait before saying that he’ll need voodoo to win in the SEC?

I'm just excited watching someone bust his ass to get Auburn back to the standard we expect. I don't know who this Elephant Tipper poster has in their circles, but everyone I have spoken to supports Freeze to the fullest and is excited in the direction the program is headed. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

I've listened to the drivel from dozens like you who aren't critically thinking about this hire.  We just experienced this with Harsin.  

IF you really want to read the room, then you need to talk with alumni and financial supporters.  Every one of those with whom I've spoken has serious misgivings about HF, and they OWN the room.

again,  it is not about misgivings.  It is about your unhealthy obsession with the topic.   I see alumni and financial supporters ( of which I am)  and owners of this board talk about other things and not just obsess nervously about their misgivings. 

You can not trust Freeze or trust him.  I don't care,    You just post the same crap over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.   You can't change it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AURex said:

Well, ya know, Freeze's winning record in the SEC is no better than Malzahn or Chizik, not even close to Tuberville.

Let's not start having orgasms until he actually produces on the field - know what I mean?

Your correct about not being close to Tubbs. His OM record was 25-20. Of course comparing Malzahn is understandable except he got his at AU vs OM. Most accept the notion that Freeze should do better with better players (as Saban did at LSU/Bama vs. Mich St. it may not work out that way. Mikey has shown us that it averages 4/5 HC choices b4 landing on a good one. Had Malzahn continued to perform as he did with Cam, Marshall, Stidham, he would probably still be here.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 1

Lets just all have some patience in this. Not only with the Administration, coaches but more importantly, between us as the AU Family. Let it play out. Then we can play gotcha with each other if it all comes crashing down OR we see the heights of glorious victory. We will do it together. Coaches will come and go, but we are AU for Life 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Maybe, among only those choices you listed though.  Urban Meyer has been available.  Why didn't we pursue him ?  His record is better than NS or DS.  One respected "inside" poster stated that Dabo Swinney had been in the mix.  Why didn't we aggressively pursue him ? 

If you think either of these was available to Auburn you aren't thinking clearly. On top of the obvious, you seem to ignore the fact that Urban Meyer was fired from Jacksonville for abusing players. Here's a link with a long list of Meyer's transgressions at Jacksonville. Did you really want that jerk here? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-fired-timeline-of-the-former-national-championship-coachs-tumultuous-tenure-with-jaguars/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

As an Auburn football fan I agree he's an intriguing hire (so was Harsin) and has a good resume in a pure football sense. As an Auburn alum and lover of Auburn I appreciate that we're giving him a second, er, third chance but wary of associating him with our university. I hope he's given a real chance and does well by our faith in him.

11 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

Lets just all have some patience in this. Not only with the Administration, coaches but more importantly, between us as the AU Family. Let it play out. Then we can play gotcha with each other if it all comes crashing down OR we see the heights of glorious victory. We will do it together. Coaches will come and go, but we are AU for Life 

I agree!  We all knew that a major rebuild would be necessary under Harsin, and since he accomplished nothing, that same rebuild is still necessary.  Maybe we can catch a lucky break with HF and cut the timeframe a bit.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, Mikey said:

If you think either of these was available to Auburn you aren't thinking clearly. On top of the obvious, you seem to ignore the fact that Urban Meyer was fired from Jacksonville for abusing players. Here's a link with a long list of Meyer's transgressions at Jacksonville. Did you really want that jerk here? https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-fired-timeline-of-the-former-national-championship-coachs-tumultuous-tenure-with-jaguars/

Abusing players ?  Exactly which players did he abuse ?  He gave a swift kick one time in the rear of a prima donna kicker who wasn't doing his job who then whined about it.  Josh Lambo got canned for NOT doing his job.

The ONLY reason the Jags fired UM was because he had a poor coaching record in the pros.

Hmmm ?  Would I want a jerk who has an 85% win average in college fb and won 3 NCs, but kicked a player in the butt for cause, or a former hc who burned down the UM program he was coaching and was also a horrible example as a husband and father, so bad was he that the SEC refused to even allow to coach again ?  The answer is clear, I'd choose UM over HF any day forever.

Why am I not "thinking clearly" about pursuing UM or DS ?  Swinney I get, but an "insider", austudent23 mentioned that there was talk between AU and DS for the job, which Finebaum reported the next day or so.  That's the only reason I mention him, because people more knowledgeable than me or you said that he was under consideration.  DS will most likely return to UA when the opportunity arises.

And, why exactly would UM NOT be available to AU ?  Can't be a question of money, because AU just paid almost $70 million for 5 seasons of coaching between Gus and Harsin.  That's $14 million/year if you don't have your calculator handy.  No coach has been paid that kind of money in college ball.

If it's not a question of money, then why exactly would Urban Meyer NOT have been a candidate for AU ?  You and others on this forum aren't thinking clearly.  You'd rather be satisfied with a man who is severely compromised as a coach.  But, oh well, you got the bottom of the barrel choice. 

• Dislike 4

47 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Abusing players ?  Exactly which players did he abuse ?  He gave a swift kick one time in the rear of a prima donna kicker who wasn't doing his job who then whined about it.  Josh Lambo got canned for NOT doing his job.

The ONLY reason the Jags fired UM was because he had a poor coaching record in the pros.

Hmmm ?  Would I want a jerk who has an 85% win average in college fb and won 3 NCs, but kicked a player in the butt for cause, or a former hc who burned down the UM program he was coaching and was also a horrible example as a husband and father, so bad was he that the SEC refused to even allow to coach again ?  The answer is clear, I'd choose UM over HF any day forever.

Why am I not "thinking clearly" about pursuing UM or DS ?  Swinney I get, but an "insider", austudent23 mentioned that there was talk between AU and DS for the job, which Finebaum reported the next day or so.  That's the only reason I mention him, because people more knowledgeable than me or you said that he was under consideration.  DS will most likely return to UA when the opportunity arises.

And, why exactly would UM NOT be available to AU ?  Can't be a question of money, because AU just paid almost $70 million for 5 seasons of coaching between Gus and Harsin.  That's $14 million/year if you don't have your calculator handy.  No coach has been paid that kind of money in college ball.

If it's not a question of money, then why exactly would Urban Meyer NOT have been a candidate for AU ?  You and others on this forum aren't thinking clearly.  You'd rather be satisfied with a man who is severely compromised as a coach.  But, oh well, you got the bottom of the barrel choice. 

Yep, UM is a great example of husband and father ( protecting a wife beater stands out as great example to his children). Your arguments are pretty silly,  IMO.

Edited by Hank2020
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For once since Pat Dye we have a coach who wanted to coach Auburn.  Not because of money; not because it’s a stepping stone (to another college or NFL).  He wanted to be Auburns head coach for a while now and wants to stay here as long as Auburn will have him.  I hope deep down he will be the most successful coach in Auburn Football history and will retire here.  For once in a long long time when CHF gains success winning at Auburn we do not have to worry about our coach entertaining offers from other schools such as CTT and CGM.

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, AUY2K said:

For once since Pat Dye we have a coach who wanted to coach Auburn.  Not because of money; not because it’s a stepping stone (to another college or NFL).  He wanted to be Auburns head coach for a while now and wants to stay here as long as Auburn will have him.  I hope deep down he will be the most successful coach in Auburn Football history and will retire here.  For once in a long long time we do not have to worry about our coach entertaining offers from other schools such as CTT and CGM.

I firmly believe Dye came here as a stepping stone, just figuring out he loved it.

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I firmly believe Dye came here as a stepping stone, just figuring out he loved it.

Could Dye have considered an Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Texas? Possibly.

But I think Dye knew Bama would enter a decline once Bear Bryant retired, and I think he felt Auburn was well positioned to take advantage of that. Recruiting was very regional back then.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AUY2K said:

For once since Pat Dye we have a coach who wanted to coach Auburn.  Not because of money; not because it’s a stepping stone (to another college or NFL).  He wanted to be Auburns head coach for a while now and wants to stay here as long as Auburn will have him.  I hope deep down he will be the most successful coach in Auburn Football history and will retire here.  For once in a long long time when CHF gains success winning at Auburn we do not have to worry about our coach entertaining offers from other schools such as CTT and CGM.

Yes, we will.

I'm not saying it will be warranted. But it wasn't usually with the last coaches either.

Auburn fans have this tendency to think of AU as a stepping stone school when it's not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Yes, we will.

I'm not saying it will be warranted. But it wasn't usually with the last coaches either.

Auburn fans have this tendency to think of AU as a stepping stone school when it's not.

Saban was approached by Texas and he looked at it. Notre Dame just lost a coach. It’s not about stepping stones.  If you’re elite it just comes with the territory. It does seem to be built into our psyche for decades to hire coaches that no one else wants (so they “love us”) and then expect them to never get or consider offers. And the best way to achieve that is with mediocre results.  Then we eventually get frustrated with not being elite and fire them.

Almost seems like a pattern.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AUY2K said:

I am not so sure about that. I am sure if he is successful others will come calling, but I do agree about him truly wanting to be here. I will say that Gus and Chizik wanted to be here too. The difference is in the experience versus those two .

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

We lucked out getting a proven caliber coach at a discounted price. That will not remain 

AU had already paid a king's ransom to can the last 2 coaching staffs for at least $50MM in a 2 yr period.  I'd say getting to this point w/CHF was pretty expensive. 

Just now, JerryAU said:

AU had already paid a king's ransom to can the last 2 coaching staffs for at least $50MM in a 2 yr period.  I'd say getting to this point w/CHF was pretty expensive. 

And they were supposedly willing to make CLK one of the highest paid coaches. Surely, you can make the distinction between the two.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, Elephant Tipper said:

And, why exactly would UM NOT be available to AU ?

Maybe...just maybe and especially since UM's name hasn't come up in other job openings. He has let it be known to his agents and those inquiring about his availabilty that he is off the market. 

We are lucky we got Freeze over Kiffin and Deion.  Niether Kiffin nor Deion are mature enough as coaches to coach at AU.

I'm sure Deion will mature along his climb up the ladder and one day be worthy of an offer to be a HC in the SEC.

Kiffin does not deserve a HC job in the SEC.  Offensive coordinator?  Yes.  HC?  No.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I'm sure Deion will mature along his climb up the ladder and one day be worthy of an offer to be a HC in the SEC.

The big question here is will Sanders still be coaching after his kid is out of college? Being the HC at a major college is an 80 hour a week job for 50 weeks a year. Sanders has enough money to do whatever he wants. I don't see him making that commitment after his son is no longer playing for him.

• Like 2