2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

37 minutes ago, AUx said:

I was wondering if this is part of CHF playing the long game in this new environment. An OV for a rival commit today might actually pay dividends when it comes to the player's 'portal year'. May as well. A few of those relationships are bound to pay off in the future.

Next level thinking.

He is the talk of college football": Why college coaches nationwide rush to see Wyatt Simmons

Coaches are flocking to Searcy, Arkansas, to see Wyatt Simmons

John BriceMay 19, 2023

Too many individual elements alone tell the impossible story.

No camps. 

No social media.

Not much thought about programs that might even be interested until earlier this month, for a prospect in the upcoming class. 

The recruiting supernova, arguably unseen in this CENTURY; the kind of kid that decades ago would have sent Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant, Gen. Robert R. Neyland and others of their hall of fame ilk scrambling for train tickets.

OK, today’s college football assistant coaches get plane tickets. Some of the really lucky ones get “PJs” – private jets.

All types are inputting the navigational coordinates to Searcy, Arkansas, to find the 2024 prospect who’s tallied more offers in two weeks than any wunderkind of recent memory.

Of course, Wyatt Simmons never had Tweeted before May 9. Didn’t know precisely what he was doing when he unwittingly published the highlights of his junior campaign at Harding Academy (Arkansas). 

That’s the season during which Simmons, his first year as a linebacker, mind you, amassed 15 of his 84 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, six times sacked quarterbacks, twice scored defensive touchdowns, twice forced fumbles and, of course, added an interception for composite stat-stuffing.

So who is Wyatt Simmons? He’s the 6-foot-3-inch, 214-pound linebacker who initially put neither his name nor his contact information on his highlight reel earlier this month but now has encroached upon 20 – TWENTY! – Football Bowls Subdivision scholarship offers.

He had none, by the way, before the accidental video reel.

“This wasn’t his world at all,” said Simmons’s prep coach and a regular state championship mass producer at Harding Academy, Neil Evans. “But it’s kind of a crazy deal. We put together highlights, and we didn’t really know what he was doing. He picked his tape out, and we kinda showed him how to edit two Fridays ago. We said go home and look it over and let’s get together Monday. 

“He published it over the weekend, probably doesn’t even know he published it. Just sent it out labeled football. No name. no contact info. Super unassuming. So there’s like a time-capsule element to this whole thing. He’s like recruiting somebody in the 1960s.”

For those counting, and more importantly, recruiting, consider:

SMU led the way, and ignited this nationwide recruiting firestorm in many ways. Since then, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Florida State, OKlahoma and Illinois all followed in various pecking orders.

Clemson has dispatched staff to see Simmons, and Stanford has made clear its interest; there’s talk Notre Dame could join the fray. Southern Miss, Liberty, Tulsa, UTSA, UNLV all have told Simmons they’d welcome him into their 2024 classes.

Oh, Simmons had an offer from the local school, Harding University, where he has a pretty strong relationship with the head coach – his father, Paul Simmons. All the elder Simmons has done in scant few years at the helm of the NCAA Division II program is turn it into a national power; NCAA D2 Playoff berths are now the norm.

The hype-trains for similarly rising prospects in recent years have chugged to a slow, almost always camp-fueled, social media-bounced, crescendo. Not Simmons.

And, so, a prominent coach whose program has suddenly made Simmons a priority offered this assessment.

“He’s top-five on our board,” the coach told FootballScoop. “Not top-five at the position. Top-five in the nation in that class for us.”

The film, measurables and football IQ are keeping coaches coming back. Evans gives little in the way of hyperbole, but stands on this assessment:

“There’s so much upside,” Evans said. “Last year was the first year he played linebacker; freshman year he was a defensive end, sophomore year wide receiver and we were gonna play him back at end, but our starting Mike gets hurt Week 3, of preseason camp.”

Simmons stepped in to finish practice with inside drill. The rest? Well, that’s the type of story that no camp, no Tweet, no post can encapsulate.

“He’s not captain stoic, he smiles and is talkative and stuff, but there’s times he’s just sitting in the chair stone-faced staring at these coaches talking to him,” Evans said of the sudden recruiting surge. “He’s really secure, very direct, he just knows who is and all of this is not changing him, which I think makes it appealing to other coaches. 

“It will just be about ball, relationships, development for him. Not necessarily in that order. He’s very rooted in faith.”

17 hours ago, AUx said:

I was wondering if this is part of CHF playing the long game in this new environment. An OV for a rival commit today might actually pay dividends when it comes to the player's 'portal year'. May as well. A few of those relationships are bound to pay off in the future.

Perhaps. I also wonder what we're doing with NIL with the top recruits. We don't seem to be getting into bidding wars for the top transfers in basketball. But the majority of big and mid size donors seem to prioritize AU football, so hopefully it means will go to war on our top few high school targets (like Cam Coleman) and priority transfers, which to your point makes this recruiting time beneficial even if we don't land all our targets this cycle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toddc said:

He is the talk of college football": Why college coaches nationwide rush to see Wyatt Simmons

Coaches are flocking to Searcy, Arkansas, to see Wyatt Simmons

John BriceMay 19, 2023

Too many individual elements alone tell the impossible story.

No camps. 

No social media.

Not much thought about programs that might even be interested until earlier this month, for a prospect in the upcoming class. 

The recruiting supernova, arguably unseen in this CENTURY; the kind of kid that decades ago would have sent Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant, Gen. Robert R. Neyland and others of their hall of fame ilk scrambling for train tickets.

OK, today’s college football assistant coaches get plane tickets. Some of the really lucky ones get “PJs” – private jets.

All types are inputting the navigational coordinates to Searcy, Arkansas, to find the 2024 prospect who’s tallied more offers in two weeks than any wunderkind of recent memory.

Of course, Wyatt Simmons never had Tweeted before May 9. Didn’t know precisely what he was doing when he unwittingly published the highlights of his junior campaign at Harding Academy (Arkansas). 

That’s the season during which Simmons, his first year as a linebacker, mind you, amassed 15 of his 84 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, six times sacked quarterbacks, twice scored defensive touchdowns, twice forced fumbles and, of course, added an interception for composite stat-stuffing.

So who is Wyatt Simmons? He’s the 6-foot-3-inch, 214-pound linebacker who initially put neither his name nor his contact information on his highlight reel earlier this month but now has encroached upon 20 – TWENTY! – Football Bowls Subdivision scholarship offers.

He had none, by the way, before the accidental video reel.

“This wasn’t his world at all,” said Simmons’s prep coach and a regular state championship mass producer at Harding Academy, Neil Evans. “But it’s kind of a crazy deal. We put together highlights, and we didn’t really know what he was doing. He picked his tape out, and we kinda showed him how to edit two Fridays ago. We said go home and look it over and let’s get together Monday. 

“He published it over the weekend, probably doesn’t even know he published it. Just sent it out labeled football. No name. no contact info. Super unassuming. So there’s like a time-capsule element to this whole thing. He’s like recruiting somebody in the 1960s.”

For those counting, and more importantly, recruiting, consider:

SMU led the way, and ignited this nationwide recruiting firestorm in many ways. Since then, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Florida State, OKlahoma and Illinois all followed in various pecking orders.

Clemson has dispatched staff to see Simmons, and Stanford has made clear its interest; there’s talk Notre Dame could join the fray. Southern Miss, Liberty, Tulsa, UTSA, UNLV all have told Simmons they’d welcome him into their 2024 classes.

Oh, Simmons had an offer from the local school, Harding University, where he has a pretty strong relationship with the head coach – his father, Paul Simmons. All the elder Simmons has done in scant few years at the helm of the NCAA Division II program is turn it into a national power; NCAA D2 Playoff berths are now the norm.

The hype-trains for similarly rising prospects in recent years have chugged to a slow, almost always camp-fueled, social media-bounced, crescendo. Not Simmons.

And, so, a prominent coach whose program has suddenly made Simmons a priority offered this assessment.

“He’s top-five on our board,” the coach told FootballScoop. “Not top-five at the position. Top-five in the nation in that class for us.”

The film, measurables and football IQ are keeping coaches coming back. Evans gives little in the way of hyperbole, but stands on this assessment:

“There’s so much upside,” Evans said. “Last year was the first year he played linebacker; freshman year he was a defensive end, sophomore year wide receiver and we were gonna play him back at end, but our starting Mike gets hurt Week 3, of preseason camp.”

Simmons stepped in to finish practice with inside drill. The rest? Well, that’s the type of story that no camp, no Tweet, no post can encapsulate.

“He’s not captain stoic, he smiles and is talkative and stuff, but there’s times he’s just sitting in the chair stone-faced staring at these coaches talking to him,” Evans said of the sudden recruiting surge. “He’s really secure, very direct, he just knows who is and all of this is not changing him, which I think makes it appealing to other coaches. 

“It will just be about ball, relationships, development for him. Not necessarily in that order. He’s very rooted in faith.”

Harding Academy ? Small world. Surprised little ole searcy is putting out someone of this nature 

• Like 1

• Like 1

3-star IOL John Wayne Oliver announces top three schools

Joe Spears

Nashville (Tenn.) CPA three-star IOL John Wayne Oliver has stayed busy since the start of spring with several visits. Now he’s ready to narrow things down. 

Oliver has narrowed his list of top schools down to Auburn, Ole Miss and TCU.

“Ultimately I chose the three schools that I feel like want me the most,” Oliver told On3. “I feel like I fit in the best with those three schools.”

Where’s home? @OleMissFB @AuburnFootball@TCUFootball pic.twitter.com/9kfc2CiFbk

— John Wayne Oliver (@JohnWayneOliver) June 4, 2023

Each of the three schools Oliver will take visits to over the next three weeks. He’ll camp at Auburn on Monday and visiting afterwards while taking officials to Ole Miss (June 9) and TCU (June 15) afterwards.

Of the three in his list, Oliver’s visited Auburn the most. He attended a camp there last year and also visited twice this year on Jan. 28 and March 24. 

Ole Miss and TCU each hosted Oliver during the spring. He visited TCU on March 9 and traveled to Oxford just over a month later on March 14.

Once he gets his officials knocked out, Oliver plans to make a decision sometime in late June or July. He hasn’t locked in an exact date but knows that he wants to get that decision squared away before his senior year begins.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting some of the players on the team and meeting other commits they have in-person,” said Oliver, No. 555 player in the 2024 class. “I want to see how I fit in with the culture. That’s the biggest thing because I’ve gotten to know the staff at each school pretty well already.

“Going on these visits and then making the decision will be a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. It’s a huge burden that I’m ready to get over with.”

Oliver breaks down his top three

Auburn: “Coach (Hugh) Freeze has been after me since last September. They offered me when he was at Liberty, I went to a game and I really liked him. Auburn offered me in January, about a month after he got the job. I really enjoyed each of the times I went for a visit.”

Ole Miss: “I’ve got a good relationship with the staff at Ole Miss. It’s a close SEC school as well that’s pretty good. They’re constantly in the top 25 and I know a couple of players who are already on the team and recruits who are trying to get me to join them there.”

TCU: “TCU’s been on me for a long time. I feel like they really want me there. I’d also get a chance to play early and play tackle. Auburn wants me to play guard but Ole Miss and TCU want me to play tackle which is a plus. I’d rather play tackle at the next level.”

2 hours ago, toddc said:

3-star IOL John Wayne Oliver announces top three schools

Joe Spears

Nashville (Tenn.) CPA three-star IOL John Wayne Oliver has stayed busy since the start of spring with several visits. Now he’s ready to narrow things down. 

Oliver has narrowed his list of top schools down to Auburn, Ole Miss and TCU.

“Ultimately I chose the three schools that I feel like want me the most,” Oliver told On3. “I feel like I fit in the best with those three schools.”

Where’s home? @OleMissFB @AuburnFootball@TCUFootball pic.twitter.com/9kfc2CiFbk

— John Wayne Oliver (@JohnWayneOliver) June 4, 2023

Each of the three schools Oliver will take visits to over the next three weeks. He’ll camp at Auburn on Monday and visiting afterwards while taking officials to Ole Miss (June 9) and TCU (June 15) afterwards.

Of the three in his list, Oliver’s visited Auburn the most. He attended a camp there last year and also visited twice this year on Jan. 28 and March 24. 

Ole Miss and TCU each hosted Oliver during the spring. He visited TCU on March 9 and traveled to Oxford just over a month later on March 14.

Once he gets his officials knocked out, Oliver plans to make a decision sometime in late June or July. He hasn’t locked in an exact date but knows that he wants to get that decision squared away before his senior year begins.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting some of the players on the team and meeting other commits they have in-person,” said Oliver, No. 555 player in the 2024 class. “I want to see how I fit in with the culture. That’s the biggest thing because I’ve gotten to know the staff at each school pretty well already.

“Going on these visits and then making the decision will be a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders. It’s a huge burden that I’m ready to get over with.”

Oliver breaks down his top three

Auburn: “Coach (Hugh) Freeze has been after me since last September. They offered me when he was at Liberty, I went to a game and I really liked him. Auburn offered me in January, about a month after he got the job. I really enjoyed each of the times I went for a visit.”

Ole Miss: “I’ve got a good relationship with the staff at Ole Miss. It’s a close SEC school as well that’s pretty good. They’re constantly in the top 25 and I know a couple of players who are already on the team and recruits who are trying to get me to join them there.”

TCU: “TCU’s been on me for a long time. I feel like they really want me there. I’d also get a chance to play early and play tackle. Auburn wants me to play guard but Ole Miss and TCU want me to play tackle which is a plus. I’d rather play tackle at the next level.”

That last sentence is telling. If he wants to play tackle then we’re probably in 3rd place right now since we want him at guard

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

Auburn DL target Sean Sevillano Jr. announces commitment

JD McCarthy

Photo by Austin Perryman

Three-star defensive lineman Sean Sevillano Jr. is originally from Canada but thanks to training with former Auburn running back Tim Jessie he had plenty of interest in the Tigers.

That interest was mutual as the Tigers offered him a scholarship and hosted him for an unofficial visit in May. Sevillano Jr. included the Tigers in his final group alongside Ohio State, Notre Dame and Miami.

Buy Tigers Tickets

While they made the final cut, the Tigers were not the pick as he announced his commitment to Notre Dame Friday.

He is the No. 920 overall player and No. 87 defensive lineman in the 247Sports Composite ranking. He is also the No. 125 player from Florida.

He was extremely productive last season for Clearwater Academy International, making 75 tackles, 21.0 tackles for loss and 19.0 sacks in 11 games.

The Tigers may have missed out on Sevillano Jr. but they are still in contention for several promising defensive linemen. Most notable is Malik Blocton, who the Tigers are the favorite to land.

They are also set to host four-star defensive lineman LJ McCray for an official visit on June 12.

Auburn currently has five commitments in the 2024 recruiting cycle with the group being led by four-star quarterback Walker White.

I totally get that the last month has been about addressing immediate needs via the TP but now we’re going to need to see some (more) decently rated commits this summer. We don’t *seem* to be favored for that many of our targets? After his quiet the last three summers were commit wise, I’m naturally going to be a bit uneasy.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sizzle said:

That last sentence is telling. If he wants to play tackle then we’re probably in 3rd place right now since we want him at guard

I've never heard of him & AU On3 hasn't posted articles or info about him, so my guess is he is not a major target for us.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I totally get that the last month has been about addressing immediate needs via the TP but now we’re going to need to see some (more) decently rated commits this summer.

Thank You Captain Obvious GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I’m naturally going to be a bit uneasy.

You always are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

I totally get that the last month has been about addressing immediate needs via the TP but now we’re going to need to see some (more) decently rated commits this summer. We don’t *seem* to be favored for that many of our targets? After his quiet the last three summers were commit wise, I’m naturally going to be a bit uneasy.

14 hours ago, toddc said:

Auburn currently has five commitments in the 2024 recruiting cycle

There's time and maybe Freeze has a plan. However, five commitments at this point in time should be concerning.

PS: Numbers-wise we are behind every SEC school except Mizzou and Kentucky, who have two each. Sadly, those two aren't the ones we are most concerned with. UGA and LSU each have 16, bammer 8.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There's time and maybe Freeze has a plan. However, five commitments at this point in time should be concerning.

PS: Numbers-wise we are behind every SEC school except Mizzou and Kentucky, who have two each. Sadly, those two aren't the ones we are most concerned with. UGA and LSU each have 16, bammer 8.

Well when our program has been irrelevant since 2017 and AU watched as our biggest rivals turned into recruiting juggernauts for the last 10+ years, it is going to take time to “fix the glitch”. 

Recruiting players that want immediate playing time from the portal is one thing. Building relationships with HS coaches and players is another. 
We just started getting our foot in the door at some of these places like Central phoenix city and Auburn HS that sent kids anywhere but AU for the last decade. That is a travesty. 

• Like 6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, toddc said:

Definitely love the storm trooper uni in this setting. Our road whites are a thing of beauty. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Did you post the right tweet? How is this Auburn related?

Deleted 

Reading the articles, HF is working so hard on the trail to try and turn this around. But I see that we are still struggling with many of these top recruits. 
It is a monumental task to dig out of this roster hole and to go against Alabama on one side and Georgia on the other now that they are the best 2 programs in the country. Now with those two programs, when they offer a player a spot, usually the player will take it. Those players want to get to the NFL and they have a proven track record. 

HF will have to keep these new doors open to these high schools and recruits, and then go out and prove it on the field. And it is going to take years to undo this mess. Hope he does not burn out. 

Obviously …to win he needs players, and to get players, he needs to win. Catch 22

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Reading the articles, HF is working so hard on the trail to try and turn this around. But I see that we are still struggling with many of these top recruits. 
It is a monumental task to dig out of this roster hole and to go against Alabama on one side and Georgia on the other now that they are the best 2 programs in the country. Now with those two programs, when they offer a player a spot, usually the player will take it. Those players want to get to the NFL and they have a proven track record. 

HF will have to keep these new doors open to these high schools and recruits, and then go out and prove it on the field. And it is going to take years to undo this mess. Hope he does not burn out. 

Obviously …to win he needs players, and to get players, he needs to win. Catch 22

We also have to remember that this is his first real year of high school recruiting at Auburn, and it’ll take time to get that full speed with relationships etc… patience is a virtue and fans are a little shy in that area sometimes.

• Like 4
  • Love 1