2024 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Freeze and Co are going to have to show some stuff on the field before our recruiting really takes off. No smart person wants to commit to someone, just because they are likable and give them attention. Smart high school players want to know that Freeze isnt the next Harkins. This transfer portal class and most importantly Peyton Thorne are going to make or break Auburn's future. If they ball out, people are going to want to be here.

• Like 1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Freeze and Co are going to have to show some stuff on the field before our recruiting really takes off. No smart person wants to commit to someone, just because they are likable and give them attention. Smart high school players want to know that Freeze isnt the next Harkins. This transfer portal class and most importantly Peyton Thorne are going to make or break Auburn's future. If they ball out, people are going to want to be here.

Essentially you're calling a 5* DE, #1 Center, top 125 CB flipping from OSU from last cycle & a top 100 QB in Walker White "Not smart".

I think this is an over generalization of recruiting.  To get to a Bama/UGA level of 3-5 5* kids and 10 others in the top 150...yeah.  But we can and we will pull top kids.  Once the momentum starts on the field we'll fill up more with higher ranked kids

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Essentially you're calling a 5* DE, #1 Center, top 125 CB flipping from OSU from last cycle & a top 100 QB in Walker White "Not smart".

I think this is an over generalization of recruiting.  To get to a Bama/UGA level of 3-5 5* kids and 10 others in the top 150...yeah.  But we can and we will pull top kids.  Once the momentum starts on the field we'll fill up more with higher ranked kids

I'm not saying that outliers don't exist. But the goal should be to really compete for top classes with those other teams. I am saying that recruiting will be average to slightly above average until the staff can prove that they are championship coaches who can put kids in the pro's consistently. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

compete for top classes

What does this mean?  top 3 class each year?  I think we've gotten into the top 5 once in the 23 years I've been following college football.

I'm not sure anyone had that realistic expectation unless we start rolling off multiple championship seasons.  s***, we can't even win back to back 10 win seasons.

Rankings from like 6-13 are all nearly essentially the same class if you look at the team rankings. That's where we'll be and we can be very competitive there & will get those classes before we start sending '23 trfr in the NFL in '27

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What does this mean?  top 3 class each year?  I think we've gotten into the top 5 once in the 23 years I've been following college football.

I'm not sure anyone had that realistic expectation unless we start rolling off multiple championship seasons.  s***, we can't even win back to back 10 win seasons.

Rankings from like 6-13 are all nearly essentially the same class if you look at the team rankings. That's where we'll be and we can be very competitive there & will get those classes before we start sending '23 trfr in the NFL in '27

I think top 10 classes consistently is a nice goal to work towards. I agree that it may be lofty. But you gotta strive towards something. With this new SEC we are getting in 2024, they are going to have to land top 10 teams, or we just aren't going to ever be able to compete on a level that Auburn fans want to see.

With that being said, half the time my thoughts tell me we are what we are and this new version of college football is something that Auburn isn't going to find above average success in. So maybe you're right and the staff just needs to put us in the low teens. 

29 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think top 10 classes consistently is a nice goal to work towards. I agree that it may be lofty. But you gotta strive towards something. With this new SEC we are getting in 2024, they are going to have to land top 10 teams, or we just aren't going to ever be able to compete on a level that Auburn fans want to see.

With that being said, half the time my thoughts tell me we are what we are and this new version of college football is something that Auburn isn't going to find above average success in. So maybe you're right and the staff just needs to put us in the low teens. 

Somewhat Disagree.  As much as I put faith into rankings, there still is fall out & some diminishing returns towards the top.  If you have top end coaches & scheme with enough talent, we can still be extremely competitive.  We've shown it at times in the past in our history.  We've never been able to capitalize on any success b/c we're our own worst enemies time after time.

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It's just not realistic to be depending on instant on-field success. Unless you just mean we field a competent team that doesn't get blown out, of course.

• Like 2

I think you will find a bit more polarity with the expanded playoffs. Certain teams get hot or unfortunate issues always occur. Depth will be important. Alabama and UGA are recruiting at a historical level. I do not know if any teams can consistently keep up with that, but I do think you can compete if you can get in that top 10 range and, give or take, a couple of really program-changing players.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

I think on-field success is a little overblown when it comes to new coaches' recruiting. 

Saban signed the #1 class in his first full cycle, after going 7-6. Kirby had the #3 class after an 8-5 season. 

I'm not saying we should expect these results, but I think we will have a pretty good idea about Freeze's recruiting ability at Auburn by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I think on-field success is a little overblown when it comes to new coaches' recruiting. 

Saban signed the #1 class in his first full cycle, after going 7-6. Kirby had the #3 class after an 8-5 season. 

I'm not saying we should expect these results, but I think we will have a pretty good idea about Freeze's recruiting ability at Auburn by the end of the year. 

Personally, I don’t believe Saban (1st year at Bama) and Kirby had quite the headwinds we have. Saban from LSU and NFL and Kirby from Bama (quite successfully I might add). Some of the winds were here when Freeze showed up and he brought some with him(negative baggage and Coming from Liberty). Freeze has a much steeper climb than they did, IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Personally, I don’t believe Saban (1st year at Bama) and Kirby had quite the headwinds we have. Saban from LSU and NFL and Kirby from Bama (quite successfully I might add). Some of the winds were here when Freeze showed up and he brought some with him(negative baggage and Coming from Liberty). Freeze has a much steeper climb than they did, IMO.

Yeah, those were extreme examples. Completely agree on Saban, although Kirby was not such a big splash. Had never been a HC before and at least half this board didn't want him. 

My overall point is that elite recruiters get the job done. Selling hope plus playing time at a major football program can be potent. Of course, NIL money is a huge factor now as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think you are going to find a tad bit more polarity with the expanded playoffs. Certain teams get hot or unfortunate issues always occur . Depth will be important . Alabama and UGA are recruiting at a historical level. I do not know if any teams can consistently keep up with that but I do think you can compete if you can get in that top 10 range , give or take some a couple of really program changing players .

Agree. The expanded playoff could end up being the best thing to happen to AU football in years. Should bring more parity to the sport. Get hot at the right time and anything can happen. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

46 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yeah, those were extreme examples. Completely agree on Saban, although Kirby was not such a big splash. Had never been a HC before and at least half this board didn't want him. 

My overall point is that elite recruiters get the job done. Selling hope plus playing time at a major football program can be potent. Of course, NIL money is a huge factor now as well. 

I think a better comparison is actually Florida (only in recruiting, I hope!). They were 6-7 when he arrived, they pulled in pretty much exactly the same ranked class as we did when Freeze arrived. They went 6-7 his first year and improved by about five spots. They're set up to possibly be worse this year yet their recruiting class is currently on track to be near top five. So, our class this year should be tweens to early teens.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Agree. The expanded playoff could end up being the best thing to happen to AU football in years. Should bring more parity to the sport. Get hot at the right time and anything can happen. 

I am hoping that as well as a no division SEC conference . The East has been behind for far too long 

• Like 3

I believe freeze getting a premier QB will play dividends for this class. I also consider that an amazing feat simply off the fact of how bad we’ve been the last two years and how inconsistent we’ve been on offense the last several years. Hopefully with early building of relationships we see some quality commitments come in. I have always been an advocate of building through highschool recruitment and development , while utilizing the transfer portal for a piece here or there .

Another major prospect we cannot miss on is our five star recruit WR. These are the caliber players that can swing momentum and make a huge difference in competitive play.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I do think you can compete if you can get in that top 10 range , give or take some a couple of really program changing players .

Absolutely can. And with playoffs expanding to 12, should be able to with top 15 classes. Also, in the long run I think a 12 team playoff will create more parity. No longer will top players have to go to Bama, UGA, Clemson, or tOSU to get playoff opportunities.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No longer will top players have to go to Bama, UGA, Clemson, or tOSU to get playoff opportunities.

No, just to win them

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

No, just to win them

@WDE_OxPx_2010 Not if rosters aren't as top heavy talent wise which could very well be the case.

• Thanks 1

House earns offer, will visit soon

An Auburn offer has flipped 's recruitment. 

House, originally from Warner Robins, Ga. played well enough at Auburn's OL/DL camp to earn an offer from Auburn, and it has boosted the Tigers to the top of his list and has him planning a return trip to the Plains. 

“It changed the game. It’s changed my recruitment so far," House said. "I plan on setting an OV today, I’ll be announcing that soon. It’s really changed it. I’ve already shown interest here and I’ve already said in other [interviews] that I really am interested in Auburn because of how close to home it is and Auburn is a big school."

The interest on both sides is mutual as Auburn was telling the 6-foot-4 and 280-pound lineman that it "wants him bad." 

Kahlil House has earned an Auburn offer a great showing at Auburn's OL/DL camp. (Henry Patton/AuburnSports)

"They were telling me how much I’d help their o-line room," House said. "There’s a great of me coming and playing early.”

Auburn has holes at offensive line, and the Houston County product sees that and believes he can fill that void and succeed under this staff. 

"I know I can come here and develop and succeed," he said. "My initial goal is to make it to the league… I know here that I can do that.”

6'4" | 280 lbs | OG | 2024

House has spoken to Jake Thornton and Kendall Simmons both during his visit and days prior. He's got nothing but love for them. 

"Really good guys and they know what they’re talking about when it comes to o-line,” House said.

With the offer, Auburn has entered House's top six along with UCF, Cincinnati, Ole Miss, Louisville and Stanford. 

His plan as of right now is to take an OV to Auburn in the following weekend. 

He plans to commit to a school in July or August and noted that the next couple of weeks are "huge."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

JLee and Pink kept making a point on their latest recruiting show that Auburn may be positioning itself to grab these recruits for Bama and UGA when they potentially hit the portal after a year or two.  I’ve dampened my expectations some based on what they’re saying about recruits wanting to be done with recruiting in June and July.  May need a good Flipmas to sniff top 5.  

Napier/Florida stuff puzzles me.  I saw very little of them last year.  You’re coming off 2 disastrous coaching hires.  Napier has recruited well in both high school and the portal.  Was he a mess on the field or something?

• Sad 1

Let’s get some road graders on the offensive line. Something we have not done in a very long time (until this most recent HS and portal class). Makes all the difference in the world!

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

May need a good Flipmas to sniff top 5.  

If it happens , awesome! but no one should be thinking, much less saying Top 5 in year 1.

• Like 1