2023 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Good wing with length and athleticism, low volume of shots some games but good FG %age 

Wow he really looks like he’d fit in an auburn uniform well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Lotto said:

Wow he really looks like he’d fit in an auburn uniform well.

Ngl, he would get many oop opportunities with Aden and Tre 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Nothing worth getting immediately excited about, but if we end up slow playing some wings that seemed like they’d be upcoming takes, I feel like this would all be connected

Could Phillips end up here after all?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to have him.  What’re the recruiting rules for players on other teams? Are they not allowed to reach out unless they enter portal?  Is there anything pearl and co could do to try and coax him to us?

3 hours ago, CR said:

That's who I took this to mean - the two linked individuals have no inherent biases for the University or basketball program as general CBB heads, and while Auburn's twitter following up is definitely above avg, I think they could definitely tease bigger, or at least more realistic, fish than Julian Phillips if they wanted to 

We'll see though, at the time, I saw no one else other than these two beating the drum on a UTk wing transferring that hadn't already done so, but I only looked on twitter. 

The guy may not have displayed being the best shooter, but he's an elite athlete, big body 3/4 option, with defensive chops and some self creation ability. After a year where we looked vertically challenged at times, I'd love a guy like him 

3 hours ago, CR said:

It’d be good if we could benefit from another program coaching up a player…I guess we could count Walker in that bunch, but it’d be nice to get a few more 

Come Saturday, Auburn is open for business.

From April 15-30, the transfer portal will open back up for players to make their final move before the season starts this fall. While some schools are still in the middle of spring practice and won't even have their spring games until April 22 or later — spring practice is in the rearview mirror for Hugh Freeze and the Tigers.

The Auburn staff will now spend this week evaluating its current roster and options, holding meetings with players and preparing the big board ahead of Saturday.

"I think the transfer portal opens soon and we are open to any position that'll help us improve our team, as long as they fit within the culture," Freeze said after A-Day.

The attention-getting position has been at quarterback since Freeze took over back in December, with fans on edge about what the future of the position looks like. Freeze noted over spring practice that the quarterbacks currently on roster did get "better," but there's still work to be done.

In the first portal window, Auburn heavily pursued Coastal Carolina transfer Grayson McCall, but academic issues ended up keeping him at Coastal Carolina and he didn't even end up visiting anywhere. Auburn also hosted former NC State transfer Devin Leary, but he was already silently committed to Kentucky and Auburn was unable to change his mind during his visit.

Now, it's wait-and-see about who's in the portal and whether or not Auburn's staff feels the need to pursue.

"That includes the quarterback room," Freeze said. "I don't — I know people make a big deal out of that, but the bottom line is you're constantly — I think competition is helpful. And those that handle it right. And for those that don't, they're probably not going to the winners for you anyway.

"And so, we're open. Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. I do. But, you know, I don't want to ever be put in a box where I say something and I do the opposite. I don't know the answer. I don't know if we are. I know that I would be open to it."

Currently on the roster, T.J. Finley, Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner competed this spring, but no clear-cut favorite exiting A-Day.

Geriner is entering his redshirt freshman season while Ashford also has multiple years of eligibility left. For Finley, though, rumors have long floated about his future of the program after leaving the team last season and now returning and competing during spring practice.

26COMMENTS

“I won’t know until they bring one (a portal quarterback) in," Finley said about his future. "I’ll have to have a conversation with Coach Freeze, but he’s said it multiple times. It’s not—it’s up in the air whether he wants to or not; that’s his personal choice or decision. Like I said, I’m going to compete, and if I’m not the best guy, I can—you know, if I’m not the best guy, I’m going to compete. I’m going to compete.”

Auburn is expected to also pursue a transfer wide receiver or two, the offensive line position, multiple pass-rushers, a linebacker or two to replace Kam Brown and Desmond Tisdol who entered the portal earlier in the spring and potentially another defensive back.2

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Where Auburn basketball's roster stands after adding Denver Jones

8 hours ago

Come Saturday, Auburn is open for business.

From April 15-30, the transfer portal will open back up for players to make their final move before the season starts this fall. While some schools are still in the middle of spring practice and won't even have their spring games until April 22 or later — spring practice is in the rearview mirror for Hugh Freeze and the Tigers.

The Auburn staff will now spend this week evaluating its current roster and options, holding meetings with players and preparing the big board ahead of Saturday.

"I think the transfer portal opens soon and we are open to any position that'll help us improve our team, as long as they fit within the culture," Freeze said after A-Day.

The attention-getting position has been at quarterback since Freeze took over back in December, with fans on edge about what the future of the position looks like. Freeze noted over spring practice that the quarterbacks currently on roster did get "better," but there's still work to be done.

In the first portal window, Auburn heavily pursued Coastal Carolina transfer Grayson McCall, but academic issues ended up keeping him at Coastal Carolina and he didn't even end up visiting anywhere. Auburn also hosted former NC State transfer Devin Leary, but he was already silently committed to Kentucky and Auburn was unable to change his mind during his visit.

Now, it's wait-and-see about who's in the portal and whether or not Auburn's staff feels the need to pursue.

"That includes the quarterback room," Freeze said. "I don't — I know people make a big deal out of that, but the bottom line is you're constantly — I think competition is helpful. And those that handle it right. And for those that don't, they're probably not going to the winners for you anyway.

"And so, we're open. Do I think we can win some games with what we have? Yes. I do. But, you know, I don't want to ever be put in a box where I say something and I do the opposite. I don't know the answer. I don't know if we are. I know that I would be open to it."

Currently on the roster, T.J. Finley, Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner competed this spring, but no clear-cut favorite exiting A-Day.

Geriner is entering his redshirt freshman season while Ashford also has multiple years of eligibility left. For Finley, though, rumors have long floated about his future of the program after leaving the team last season and now returning and competing during spring practice.

26COMMENTS

“I won’t know until they bring one (a portal quarterback) in," Finley said about his future. "I’ll have to have a conversation with Coach Freeze, but he’s said it multiple times. It’s not—it’s up in the air whether he wants to or not; that’s his personal choice or decision. Like I said, I’m going to compete, and if I’m not the best guy, I can—you know, if I’m not the best guy, I’m going to compete. I’m going to compete.”

Auburn is expected to also pursue a transfer wide receiver or two, the offensive line position, multiple pass-rushers, a linebacker or two to replace Kam Brown and Desmond Tisdol who entered the portal earlier in the spring and potentially another defensive back.2

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

I wish I could read more into where he got his info from.  All the comments make it look like a free for all.

3 minutes ago, Lotto said:

I wish I could read more into where he got his info from.  All the comments make it look like a free for all.

The source is optimism and a Twitter bit lol

he tweets this stuff for every person who goes in the portal lol 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

Pablo has no connections. He's a hardcore AU fan like the rest of us. JLee said today he hasn't heard a thing about Mgbako & AU. Pablo is trolling his fellow Aubies here.

• Like 1

That said .... I would be really happy if he was right this time 😆 

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

giphy.gif

Long day at work, I needed this laugh. 

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

there’s no way right? lol 

I would not be adverse to having him back.  He was one of my favorites while he was at Auburn.  Very athletic, worked his backend off, some awe dropping dunks. From what I have read at Arizona State he cut down on number of bad shots he took which was an area he really needed to work on. He would give us defense,  fill the lane and getting us back to fast basketball, work the boards and some scoring inside and on fast breaks.  I think he could be an energizer type of 6 man off the bench.

I hope he is serious about looking at Auburn and that Bruce would want him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would not be adverse to having him back.  He was one of my favorites while he was at Auburn.  Very athletic, worked his backend off, some awe dropping dunks. From what I have read at Arizona State he cut down on number of bad shots he took which was an area he really needed to work on. He would give us defense,  fill the lane and getting us back to fast basketball, work the boards and some scoring inside and on fast breaks.  I think he could be an energizer type of 6 man off the bench.

A great glue guy

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I’d be fine with having him, it’d just be such a wonky result lol. I can’t think of even one instance from either major sport where someone leaves and comes back 

• Like 1

As E has mentioned there could soon be some more players in the Portal some who will pull names out of NBA draft and some just joining in new Window. My worry if we are waiting for some of them we might be slow playing some current players in the Portal and then end up not getting the late entries and not getting some of the ones we might be slow playing. I am worried that the longer we don't get commits the pool will shrink and we will have to settle for transfers who were not our top options. 

I am tickled pink with Jones who was our top option but we have so many holes to fill it is scary. The good news is the 24 HS class is very strong. 

Edited by AuburnNTexas

Do we think Cambridge could be the sharp shooting 3 we've been looking for?  But if Flanigan comes back and we have Chris Moore do we really even need a 3?  I know I see ya'll saying we need two from that position but I find it hard to convince a transfer to come here and play if they have to share time with Cmo and Flan

1 minute ago, Lotto said:

Do we think Cambridge could be the sharp shooting 3 we've been looking for?

Nope & JGT just said he likely wouldn't have the grades to come back.

2 minutes ago, Lotto said:

But if Flanigan comes back and we have Chris Moore do we really even need a 3? 

Staff is looking for an impact 3 so they expect Flan to leave.

• Thanks 1

Report: Devan Cambridge set to visit multiple Power 5 schools, will consider SEC return

Chandler Vessels•about 2 hours

Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Arizona State transfer wing Devan Cambridge is receiving plenty of Power 5 interest and has a visit lined up in a few days. According to CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein, Cambridge is scheduled to visit Pac-12 foe Oregon on Sunday and is also considering Clemson, Texas Tech and Auburn. 

Cambridge spent the first three seasons of his college career at Auburn before transferring to ASU this past season to team up with his brother, Desmond. However, with Desmond Cambridge exhausting his final season of eligibility in 2022-23, Devan is at least considering a return to where he started. 

Across his three years in Auburn, Cambridge averaged 7.1 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. This past year with the Sun Devils, he put up 9.8 points and 5.4 rebounds per game in 35 games, including 34 starts. He shot 49.4% from the floor and 29.6% from the 3-point line.

Devan Cambridge ranks as the No. 95 overall player and No. 25 small forward according to On3’s Transfer Portal Rankings. On3 predicts him to have a 93.2% chance of transferring to Oregon. 

Cambridge played high school basketball for Hillcrest Prep in Phoenix, where he was a three-star prospect. He was the No. 228 overall player and No. 53 small forward in the 2019 class according to the On3 Industry Rating, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

Devan Cambridge will have one year of eligibility remaining and should be able to play immediately upon graduating.

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

Devan Cambridge

Likely won't have the grades to return to AU per JGT.

• Like 1