2024 3* OT Kahlil House Picks Stanford

toddc

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

The mistake you are making is assuming that 4 and 5 star football recruits care that much about "academics". The vast majority don't, especially in the South where most of the talent resides. These are career athletes groomed by families who are certain an NFL future is in their cards.

Most of them can't get into Stanford because they have no interest in a career outside football. That's the point. 

Yes, there are some - and Stanford has been able to sway some 4-star talents away from traditional football powers using their educational pitch. But let's cut the crap here: of the Top 250 football recruits each year, what percentage do you think care so much about academics that they would make it a sticking point in their recruitment? Again, it's a small percentage.

Theoretically one can make the NFL out of anywhere. It happens every year. Stanford has an empty stadium and they're currently lost in a dying conference.

I totally agree with you on this. If you are taking an athlete who has no desire to go to a school like Stanford for academics, Auburn is probably more popular for a few different reasons.

What my original "long way to go" comment was for is that we have a long way to go before we have enough NFL draft evidence to sway a student who DOES care about academics as well, away from that kind of opportunity, because we haven't proven to be that much better at producing pro football players. Where as Bama and Georgia are far more likely to be able to guarantee you'll go pro anyway and don't have to worry about the academic side. 

Can anybody direct me to the Auburn board? I seem to have wandered into a Stanford fans board.  I don't think the kid will be making a mistake going to Stanford, but it's not that cut and dried.  If the kid can get into the business or engineering school, great, I'd say go for it.  Otherwise, I don't know.   He's going to spend the next four or five years going to school with a bunch of kids  (mostly) who attended private school and think "summer" is a verb.   Stanford isn't taking the best and brightest; they are (mostly) taking the richest and most connected who are also bright.  It's pretty much the last place I'd want kids with a ordinary middle class upbringing to go.   I wish the kid the best whatever he does, but odds are he'll be better off and have more fun staying close to home where his family can see him play. 

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What did we ACTUALLY get in 2017? Lol. We won the west. I'll concede that. We lost our bowl, we ended with 5 losses, and the two teams we hung our hat on beating played for the natty. 2017 was very fun, but it was all for nothing, tbh. Just another average Gus season, in the end. 

And yes, if we are knocking Stanford for not being ranked the last 3 years, its only fair to point out that this has been an absolutely awful last 3 years for Auburn football as well. 

I stand by my belief that the 2017 team was the second best we've had since 1990. They just had an insanely killer schedule that almost no team could make a four-team playoff with. That year was when I first started feeling like we were at a very unfair disadvantage, one that appears is going to be (at least somewhat) rectified soon. :)

I also believe that because we were at said unfair disadvantage, the problem with Gus was not necessarily where we were, but where we were headed if that makes sense.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I stand by my belief that the 2017 team was the second best we've had since 1990. They just had an insanely killer schedule that almost no team could make a four-team playoff with. That year was when I first started feeling like we were at a very unfair disadvantage, one that appears is going to be (at least somewhat) rectified soon. :)

I also believe that because we were at said unfair disadvantage, the problem with Gus was not necessarily where we were, but where we were headed if that makes sense.

It was a really fun year. I went to the Iron Bowl that year and had a blast. I just wish it didn't end so poorly. At the end of the day, we had nothing to show for it other than the fun memories of those UGA and Bama games. Also, if my boy Pettway was still on the team, I think we probably would have went undefeated and won the natty. Not having a backup for KJ was killer. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It was a really fun year. I went to the Iron Bowl that year and had a blast. I just wish it didn't end so poorly. At the end of the day, we had nothing to show for it other than the fun memories of those UGA and Bama games. 

Our median margin in SEC play was a 3 TD win (I know '04 and maybe even '05 would've been bigger had we not coasted in every second half but still). But in large part because we were put at such a disadvantage, we were just too beat up for it to amount to anything. 2017 is one of the chief reasons why I just don't think the crowd that wants to play Florida or LSU every year too is thinking things through.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Which is why I just don't think crowd who wants to play Florida or LSU every year too is thinking things through.

Agree. You are going to have some insane depth talent to run the table moving forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Stanford and Auburn each had 5 NFL draft picks this year. 

Since the year 2000 Auburn has had 76 players taken and Stanford has had 74. Lol. 

Average salary of a Stanford grad ten years, graduates earn $122,900 on average.

Average salary of an Auburn grad after ten years, graduates earn $54,100 on average.

STANFORD should NEVER EVER make it a habit to lose anyone to Auburn that it wants. 

I get this.  What are some of the other variables that go into the earnings?  I would expect that the majority of  college grads stay somewhere close to where they graduate from.  Let's say within 200 miles.  Let's compare the cost of living of living within 200 miles of Stanford vs AU.  A kid in Cali marries a girl from Cali and is long distance to family.  May be a good thing, depending on the kid.  Now he does not have the connections if/when he moves back home.  What is the price of that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I stand by my belief that the 2017 team was the second best we've had since 1990

what-hello.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

what-hello.gif

No one on that team was as good as Cam to be clear, so ok, maybe you can argue that 2010 was better for that reason (as in, IDK if they would've gone to Turdtown and came back). That team loses maybe one game against either the '04 or '10 slates (TN and UAT, respectively). They almost certainly have the same records against the 1993 or 2013 slate but in a more dominating fashion (no way they need a Hail Mary against that Georgia team for instance).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Can anybody direct me to the Auburn board? I seem to have wandered into a Stanford fans board.  I don't think the kid will be making a mistake going to Stanford, but it's not that cut and dried.  If the kid can get into the business or engineering school, great, I'd say go for it.  Otherwise, I don't know.   He's going to spend the next four or five years going to school with a bunch of kids  (mostly) who attended private school and think "summer" is a verb.   Stanford isn't taking the best and brightest; they are (mostly) taking the richest and most connected who are also bright.  It's pretty much the last place I'd want kids with a ordinary middle class upbringing to go.   I wish the kid the best whatever he does, but odds are he'll be better off and have more fun staying close to home where his family can see him play. 

Sounds like you got it all figured out, huh?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

No one on that team was as good as Cam to be clear, but top to bottom they were just more talented than 2010 and 13 with a much better average margin of victory against non-cupcakes. Give the 2017 team the 2013 schedule and they most def make the title game in a much more dominant fashion along the way.

But there were a lot of teams better than them between 1990 and 2017

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

But there were a lot of teams better than them between 1990 and 2017

2004 for sure, probably 2010 just because of Cam, though the median player in 2017 was better than the median in '10.

Edited by AUwent

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sounds like you got it all figured out, huh?

Nah, just the easy stuff..

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

2004 for sure, probably 2010 just because of Cam, though the median player in 2017 was better than the median in '10.

Off the top of my head, the '93, '94, '97, '02-'06 teams would all beat '17. Handily, IMO

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

Certainly one of the best, at any rate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I get what you're saying, but if we are being very very real about the reality of this all, Auburn historically also needs the planets to line up pretty perfectly for us to make a run. The only difference is they lined up for us a few times recently. But getting Cam Newton and The Kick Six/Miracle at JH was everything lining up perfectly. Lol

Note:

Our last bowl win was Music City massacre in 2018.

And though we have been ranked more recently, we haven't finished a season ranked in the top 25 since before Gus got fired.

I’d argue Auburn’s shortcomings have resulted from coaching/admin incompetency not just chance. And I’m not thumping my chest about Auburn just pointing it out. 

Another major issue that must be addressed. If academic heavy schools like Stanford, NW, Tech, etc don’t allow grad transfers like other schools then there is pretty much zero chance of them ever competing for anything. If the Pac 12 folds and Stanford doesn’t join the B1G or Big 12 they will go independent and become forever irrelevant imo UNLESS their admin admits grad transfers. But why would they?

9 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Pac 12 football is still big time football. You’re making it seem like Stanford is D3

And some are making it seem an Auburn degree is toilet tissue or something.

On 6/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Thread On3 about why so much commotion over a 3* commit.

I watched Zac Blackerby's Locked on Auburn podcast today. He is acting like the sky is falling now and he is asking why Auburn can't get O-Linemen to commit from high school. He said transfer portal was good but we still aren't getting OL guys to commit from high school. 

Zac claims that House was going to commit to us but he read Twitter and noticed that some of our fans didn't understand why we were so hyped about a 3 star recruit. That hurt House's feelings and he will commit to Stanford. 

I'm not sure I'm buying that. A guy that's smart enough to be accepted into Stanford won't be crazy enough to make his decision by what Auburn fans say about him on Twitter. I just think we lost out to Stanford for this guy. It happens.

8 hours ago, woodford said:

I’d argue Auburn’s shortcomings have resulted from coaching/admin incompetency not just chance. And I’m not thumping my chest about Auburn just pointing it out. 

Another major issue that must be addressed. If academic heavy schools like Stanford, NW, Tech, etc don’t allow grad transfers like other schools then there is pretty much zero chance of them ever competing for anything. If the Pac 12 folds and Stanford doesn’t join the B1G or Big 12 they will go independent and become forever irrelevant imo UNLESS their admin admits grad transfers. But why would they?

For the most part, most schools are already irrelevant if they’re not in the SEC/ACC/Big 10. I wish schools like Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Rice, military academies, etc.. would form a super conference of their own. Lots of travel but they would be able compete amongst like schools. 

Holy Cow!   I walk away from this thread for a few days, and then this happens!!!

🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Lots of people overreacting  (I know, I know….that’s what message boards are for!)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

And some are making it seem an Auburn degree is toilet tissue or something.

Not one person has said that and you know it. You can point out that Stanford is a top tier academic institution without crapping on Auburn. I have been one of the main people saying the kid probably made a smart decision and I have a degree from Auburn. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

For the most part, most schools are already irrelevant if they’re not in the SEC/ACC/Big 10. I wish schools like Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Rice, military academies, etc.. would form a super conference of their own. Lots of travel but they would be able compete amongst like schools. 

That would be huge for those programs. Hell if I was them, I'd form a division. Have their own National Championship. 

15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Not one person has said that and you know it. You can point out that Stanford is a top tier athletic institution without crapping on Auburn. I have been one of the main people saying the kid probably made a smart decision and I have a degree from Auburn. 

Well, Auburn is the Princeton of the south . Didn’t you know ? [yellow font]

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Vandy would never agree to something like that. They make their money from these big SEC tv deals that they don’t contribute too. They’ve got a good setup

"Getting admitted to Stanford"???

It's very, very tough for a high school student to get admitted to Florida. I have a nephew who couldn't get into UF even paying his own way but got a full academic scholarship ride to FSU. However, Florida's policy for scholarship athletes isn't the same. Their qualifications to admit such athletes are the same as the NCAA's, which is what most SEC schools go by.

So, does Stanford do like Florida and have different qualifications for athletes? I don't know, but that's certainly a possibility.

• Like 2