2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

We will see…. If CHF pulls the trigger on one of these top tier QBs then we are making a run for the sec championship in 2024 as well as signing a top FIVE 2024 recruiting class.

Edited by AUY2K

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Even with a great portal QB I think Auburn is still another cycle from sniffing a playoff team.  Unless it’s a perfect fit I doubt Auburn goes after a big $$$ QB.  I could see Auburn getting a challenger to 2nd string just in case.

With a QB like Cam Ward and upgrades at the receiver position we’d be right in the mix for the SEC IMO.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

as well as signing a top FIVE 2024 recruiting class.

That's gonna take us flipping at least 1 of LJ, KJ, or Ryan Williams (if he reclassifies). While we are in the game with all 3 it feels all 3 will land elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Is this legit about Ward?? 

@TAYLORKEETON FWIW

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@WarEagleHunter1221 Haven't heard any AU buzz in a good while FWIW. Just guessing but not sure we are willing to meet what sounds like a high price tag for him.

1 hour ago, AUY2K said:

It all depends on how bad CHF wants to sign williams and wants to contend for an SEC championship in 2024.  Pony up the money now for 10+ wins or save and plan for 8-9 wins then make the run for 2025.

NIL is healthy but not unlimited. We likely can't throw money at everyone we want.

• Like 1

No we can’t just throw money around or have unlimited funds … but CHF says future success and his AU career hinges on 2024-2025 classes.  So I can see him really focusing on getting this money generated up front now to get this thing rolling so by 2026 things start paying for themselves in the way of success (huge influx of OTV donors).

right now there are only 3000-5000 members of OTV.  Just think if Auburn starts putting together back to back 10+ win seasons with making the playoffs, beating bama and ugag.  Money and memberships will greatly increase.

Edited by AUY2K

2 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

If we land ward williams will sign with AU.

I wouldn't bet on that. Bama REC has made it tough on us to flip RW no matter what QB we could land in the portal. Not to mention RW would be going into a good QB sitch at Bama.

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

With a QB like Cam Ward and upgrades at the receiver position we’d be right in the mix for the SEC IMO.  

If that were to happen (not saying it will), I think there would be a real shot at making the 12 team playoff next year.

2 hours ago, AUY2K said:

right now there are only 3000-5000 members of OTV.

Closer to 2000 based on a recent email update from them. Their goal is 5000 before signing day. 

3 hours ago, AUY2K said:

We will see…. If CHF pulls the trigger on one of these top tier QBs then we are making a run for the sec championship in 2024 as well as signing a top FIVE 2024 recruiting class.

At the very least we should be shooting for a playoff spot. With a better QB and passing attack, it should land us a top 7 or 8 class. In my opinion that would be worth paying for a good portal QB. 

35 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Or put those funds towards solidifying OL, DL, and WRs from the portal.

Does that mean we roll with Thorne, and Geriner stays as a backup (potential starter)? What does our QB situation look like?

Edited by yngwie1995

4 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

Bling by itself will not get you a ring.

6 hours ago, AUY2K said:

Or put those funds towards solidifying OL, DL, and WRs from the portal.

If we did focus on using our money to solidify the roster then I’d be emphasizing portal players with 2 years of eligibility at the minimum. 

I’m not on board with Auburn spending top dollar on a high ranked transfer portal QB this offseason but next offseason is a different story. 

I think using most of our money this offseason to solidify the roster is massive when it comes to rebuilding the program correctly.

That doesn’t mean we still can’t add a QB in the portal tho. I just wouldn’t break the bank on one until we feel confident enough that the roster around the QB is built well enough to compete. 

A Heisman caliber QBs that’s on a bad team can’t win it all just by himself. So spending big on a top QB transfer now before our roster is built well enough to compete is a waste of money. 

As much as I don’t want to see Thorne as our QB next season, I’d understand why he could be but that’s AS LONG AS we solidify the rest of the team with players that have multiple years of eligibility. 

Then spend big time on a transfer QB when it comes to next offseason. 

Thats just imo tho

9 hours ago, FreezeWarning said:

If we did focus on using our money to solidify the roster then I’d be emphasizing portal players with 2 years of eligibility at the minimum. 

I’m not on board with Auburn spending top dollar on a high ranked transfer portal QB this offseason but next offseason is a different story. 

I think using most of our money this offseason to solidify the roster is massive when it comes to rebuilding the program correctly.

That doesn’t mean we still can’t add a QB in the portal tho. I just wouldn’t break the bank on one until we feel confident enough that the roster around the QB is built well enough to compete. 

A Heisman caliber QBs that’s on a bad team can’t win it all just by himself. So spending big on a top QB transfer now before our roster is built well enough to compete is a waste of money. 

As much as I don’t want to see Thorne as our QB next season, I’d understand why he could be but that’s AS LONG AS we solidify the rest of the team with players that have multiple years of eligibility. 

Then spend big time on a transfer QB when it comes to next offseason. 

Thats just imo tho

Last season CHF HAD to get a QB in the portal.

I think he feels comfortable enough with Thorne to feel like he’s not in the same position this portal cycle

If we can sign a top three QB in this cycle he will do it. 

He may bring in a QB that’s not a top three guy if we have a any QB transfer 

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Closer to 2000 based on a recent email update from them. Their goal is 5000 before signing day. 

Siap

I saw somewhere that when they hit 5000 there’s a 1 million dollar donation coming.

• Like 1

From what I read on this board Geriner really came on toward end of season. Apparently he can make all the throws but is more of a passing QB then a dual threat but he has some ability to run. Remeber the word on Thorne was he could not run and he proved everybody wrong there. So I think Geriner might be an option after Thorne leaves.

Once we actaully let Thorne be a QB without constnat changing of QB's, he looked much better.  If even half of the passes that were dropped were caught he would have look even better. I am not saying Thorne will be an elite QB next year, but with an improved team around him better WR's who create seperation win some 50/50 balls and catch all the good throws along with a little bit better pass blocking to go along with a really solid run game and we should be a good bit better than this year.

The scary part to be better we may have to rely on some freshman as starters or regular backups at WR, DL (including Edge), and at LB even though if Keyes is healthy where he finally was at end of year and Asante continues to play that well we might not need that much help at LB. 

Now if we get the right players in the Portal may be able to bring some freshman on slower but some I think are so good at WR they will be starters by end of the year if not sooner.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what I read on this board Geriner really came on toward end of season. Apparently he can make all the throws but is more of a passing QB then a dual threat but he has some ability to run. Remeber the word on Thorne was he could not run and he proved everybody wrong there. So I think Geriner might be an option after Thorne leaves.

Once we actaully let Thorne be a QB without constnat changing of QB's, he looked much better.  If even half of the passes that were dropped were caught he would have look even better. I am not saying Thorne will be an elite QB next year, but with an improved team around him better WR's who create seperation win some 50/50 balls and catch all the good throws along with a little bit better pass blocking to go along with a really solid run game and we should be a good bit better than this year.

The scary part to be better we may have to rely on some freshman as starters or regular backups at WR, DL (including Edge), and at LB even though if Keyes is healthy where he finally was at end of year and Asante continues to play that well we might not need that much help at LB. 

Now if we get the right players in the Portal may be able to bring some freshman on slower but some I think are so good at WR they will be starters by end of the year if not sooner.

Would be interesting to see actual stats on SEC team pass drops. Some of us feel the number is high, while some feel the number is low.