So who do you think will make top 4 playoff spots...

bishoptf

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bammer rose up and beat A GA team with at least 4 starters hurt or limited. Bama beat a terrible Arky team by 3 at home. Needed a miracle to be us last week. Got beat by 10 at home to TX. Gotta take all that into consideration.  

They have to take that time if they are using that formula. They don't want to take that time. They want to make it easy, just following the previous rankings and the wins. 

• Like 1

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

They are swaying the narrative as it’s about the “four best teams” not the “four most deserving “. I say follow the money.

Had bama lost to Auburn (2 losses), and went in there and beat uga 49-0, they'd arguably look like "the best".

You could even throw in a loss to USF (3 losses), and blame it on the weather or some other reason. It wouldn't affect how good they look right now.

But would they deserve to go to the CFP? Do the regular season games not matter anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Committee may be afraid to pick Fl State over Alabama, and then see Fl State get beat by 40+ points in a yawner of a semi-final.  Like UGA beating TCU last year.

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

Had bama lost to Auburn (2 losses), and went in there and beat uga 49-0, they'd arguably look like "the best".

You could even throw in a loss to USF (3 losses), and blame it on the weather or some other reason. It wouldn't affect how good they look right now.

But would they deserve to go to the CFP? Do the regular season games not matter anymore?

There will be some upset fan bases either way. I do think they would be putting a lame duck in if they put in FSU.

Do they deserve to be in? Yes.

Are they one of the four BEST teams right now? No.

Would they have gone undefeated Without Travis? No (despite not playing a really difficult schedule).

Would they get beat by Georgia, Texas, and Bama? Yes. 

All subjective but I think most would agree.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if there is specific language in the Committee's charter?

Specifically, by the letter of their marching orders, are they supposed to pick to 4 most deserving teams based upon record, or the 4 best teams right now?

I think most people would agree that this year, those two lists don't match.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

There will be some upset fan bases either way. I do think they would be putting a lame duck in if they put in FSU.

Do they deserve to be in? Yes.

Are they one of the four BEST teams right now? No.

Would they have gone undefeated Without Travis? No (despite not playing a really difficult schedule).

Would they get beat by Georgia, Texas, and Bama? Yes. 

All subjective but I think most would agree.

That's all fair. 

Still, had bama lost to  Texas, Auburn and USF, and then beat uga 49-0, they'd still look like "the best right now", but does a 3-loss team make the playoff? At what point do losses trump how good you look right now? 

The odd thing is, last week, bama looked very suspect after needing a miracle to beat a 6-win Auburn team. One week later, because they beat uga by 3, suddenly they're the best team in CFB? 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Does anyone know if there is specific language in the Committee's charter?

Specifically, by the letter of their marching orders, are they supposed to pick to 4 most deserving teams based upon record, or the 4 best teams right now?

I think most people would agree that this year, those two lists don't match.

What if bama lost their first 3 games of the season, and then turned around and won the rest of their games by 50 points? They'd arguable look like the best right now. At what point do those 3 losses outweigh current success? 

That's all fair. 

Still, had bama lost to  Texas, Auburn and USF, and then beat uga 49-0, they'd still look like "the best right now", but does a 3-loss team make the playoff? At what point do losses trump how good you look right now? 

The odd thing is, last week, bama looked very suspect after needing a miracle to beat a 6-win Auburn team. One week later, because they beat uga by 3, suddenly they're the best team in CFB? 🤷‍♂️

At two or three losses, it would eliminate Bama, and the talk would be to look out for next years Bama team.

That's all fair. 

Exactly. SEC does not have a birthright to be in the playoff. Can’t screw over FSU or Texas. They did what they supposed to do and Bama and UGA did not. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

At two or three losses, it would eliminate Bama, and the talk would be to look out for next years Bama team.

But they'd look like "the best right now", right? 🤷‍♂️

So it's actually a balance between "deserving" and "best"? 

What if bama lost their first 3 games of the season, and then turned around and won the rest of their games by 50 points? They'd arguable look like the best right now. At what point do those 3 losses outweigh current success? 

Yes, record must be taken into account.  But that tends to get obscured when differentiating between 0 and 1 losses.

It should be the four most deserving teams. We all know that who someone thinks is the four best right now is all subjective, and nothing but opinion. One could have sat back last week, and said that Alabama was one of the best teams in college football, yet they needed a virtual miracle to beat an Auburn team that had just gotten boat raced by NMSU six days before. 

Alabama, and Georgia too for that matter, had every opportunity to play themselves into the playoff and failed. 

No legitimate justification for picking either one of them over a 13-0 ACC champion Florida State. 

I don't personally like any of the three, but right is right, and wrong is wrong. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

But they'd look like "the best right now", right? 🤷‍♂️

So it's actually a balance between "deserving" and "best"? 

In borderline situations it’s about viewership and money imo

• Like 2

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

In borderline situations it’s about viewership and money imo

Yep.  No way I'm watching Fl State get clobbered like I watched TCU get clobbered last year.  And the advertisers know that's the way a lot of people would approach it.  Do they have any influence here?  IDK.

While I did pick UAT, with regards to teh whole "four BEST teams" debate, of course they're going to say four best teams.

It's crazy how this is really only the second time it's been this uncertain in the ten years when it would've probably been the case almost every year in the BCS era. Just one instance, 2004...the same Texas vs. UAT vs. FSU debate would've applied to Texas, Cal and Utah (respectively).

Edited by AUwent
  • Angry 1

If Clemson was 13-0, this would not even be a debate…since it is FSU some have questions. FSU put in work and rebuilt their program over the past 5/6 years. Now they are in the position to benefit from it and the rug is about to be snatched right from under them. As for Texas they are a conference champion who beat Bama in their own house. No way Bama should get Texas spot….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Assuming both UGA and Alabama are eliminated, I'd hate to be the teams that have to face them in their respective bowl games.  They will be playing inferior teams, and won't have any mercy in trying to make a statement.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Could fsu without Travis be able to beat Texas, Alabama, or Georgia in your opinion?

That’s why u line up and play the game. Bottom line they are undefeated and won all of there games and their conference. Replace FSU with Auburn would u have this same stance.

• Like 2

I think it would be funny and interesting if both Alabama and Georgia are eliminated, yet somehow wound up playing each other in a bowl game.  Impossible I know, but wow - that would be a great sideshow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

If Clemson was 13-0, this would not even be a debate…since it is FSU some have questions. FSU put in work and rebuilt their program over the past 5/6 years. Now they are in the position to benefit from it and the rug is about to be snatched right from under them. As for Texas they are a conference champion who beat Bama in their own house. No way Bama should get Texas spot….

Which is more impressive, winning the Big 12 or winning the SEC?

• Like 1

Just now, e808 said:

That’s why u line up and play the game. Bottom line they are undefeated and won all of there games and their conference. Replace FSU with Auburn would u have this same stance.

That's just it. No one knows. GA beat Auburn by what six points? GA Tech by eight? And Missouri by seven, or eight?

Bama beats Arkansas by three, Auburn by three. Lost to Texas at home by ten. So, who knows what would happen? That's why what happens on the field matters, or should. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Which is more impressive, winning the Big 12 or winning the SEC?

That's subjective as well. It's not exactly like the SEC was some juggernaut this year. 

8 minutes ago, e808 said:

If I were being honest unbiased, I would have the same stance that we deserve to be in but understand the argument that we would not be one of the best without our star best player, which happens to be our QB. Would we have been the same team without Cam? Going to be mad folks either way. It’s interesting.

Edited by sevenlee36