Year 1 QB stats under CHF

LPTiger

So, I looked at CHF's first years at UM, LU and AU to see how often his 1st year starting QBs threw the ball per game and overall.  In year 1 at OM, Bo Wallace was his QB.  Wallace was a sophomore.   In year 1 at LU, Stephen Calvert was his QB.   Calvert was a junior.  Overall and by game, these 2 QBs had many more passing attempts than Thorne.  This was particularly true with respect to Calvert even though his completion % was just 57%.

Wallace had 1 game where he attempted 20 or fewer passes and 5 where he attempted 30 or more.

Calvert had 1 game where he attempted 20 or fewer passes and 10 where he attempted 30 or more.

Thorne had 8 games where he attempted 20 or fewer passes and 1 where he attempted 30 or more.

OM                        LU                AU

20/24.                20/39.            10/17

15/22.                 21/37.             9/14

13/24.                 23/30.            24/32

7/16.                  10/16.               6/12

15/26.                24/36               10/19

20/34.                16/31                12/23

17/22                  23/35               9/13

29/37                 17/31                20/26

16/25                  20/27               17/27

31/49                  27/45              12/20

15/35                  16/40              15/19

15/22                   16/29             5/16

22/32                  16/35    

235/368            257/452.       149/238

64%                     57%              63%

Backing out the final bowl game, Wallace had 41% more throws than Thorne and Calvert had 75% more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m excited for next year when PT (or whoever) will have someone to throw to that knows how to catch the ball. Seemed to be a lot of drops this year….surprises me that more receivers aren’t in the portal! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, penguin149 said:

I’m excited for next year when PT (or whoever) will have someone to throw to that knows how to catch the ball. Seemed to be a lot of drops this year….surprises me that more receivers aren’t in the portal! 

Several of them are

• Like 1

Also I think it's ironic that DK Metcalf was actually having problems with drops his early years..... It's funny how it's all get new wr and PT is the only person with this can improve hope. If people had written him off you would have been writing off a future pro bowl wr. Our wr deserve the same grace that's being offered to PT, if not more

We focus on the drops but not the bad throws and such but I personally hope EVERYBODY improves because everybody needs it I guarantee Bo Wallace dealt with drops too because every team does.

As far as talent goes freeze has much better development with wr than qb 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also I think it's ironic that DK Metcalf was actually having problems with drops his early years..... It's funny how it's all get new wr and PT is the only person with this can improve hope.

We focus on the drops but not the bad throws and such but I personally hope EVERYBODY improves because everybody needs it I guarantee Bo Wallace dealt with drops too because every team does.

As far as talent goes freeze has much better development with wr than qb 

Only Auburn players have drops or throw the ball away.  It's the sole reason why our Comp% is lower than everyone else.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Only Auburn players have drops or throw the ball away.  It's the sole reason why our Comp% is lower than everyone else.

If it’s your goal to project negativity on every thread then great job! Huge success. 

• Like 4

My belief is that the stats indicate this wasn't CHF's typical offense that we were running particularly when we were forcing the RA reps in games 1-7.   We were far too run heavy and predictable, and CHF's offenses are typically far more balanced and dynamic.   The offense will look vastly different next year.

Thorne showed me some physical toughness the last few games. He took off cutting north into the teeth of the D and taking the hit.  Robby kept trying to outrun SEC D’s to the corner instead of cutting it north and taking the hit wherever that might be for positive yards. Part of that might have been after playing in pain last season he just was not willing to do that based on his playing time. I think if we sign our committed WRs (no flips elsewhere) Thorn has a vastly improved performance. The WRs need to adjust to college speed quickly but just saying. The OL should be decent to good and our running game should be stout. I would love to see Thorne take a large step forward and White actually get some quality snaps. 

Cut out half of the dropped Thorne passes OR half of the wide open receivers he missed and we win 2, maybe 3 more games this year. Three drops specifically come to mind. Going all the way back to Burns at QB (ironically, later a WR coach) we've had bad luck (or whatever) having both our QB and receivers have a great game at the same time.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:30 PM, LPTiger said:

My belief is that the stats indicate this wasn't CHF's typical offense that we were running particularly when we were forcing the RA reps in games 1-7.   We were far too run heavy and predictable, and CHF's offenses are typically far more balanced and dynamic.   The offense will look vastly different next year.

I would like to have no expectations for next year, but I'm pretty sure the expectations are going to be high. 

On 12/14/2023 at 2:39 PM, W.E.D said:

Should you ever wonder why so many people tell us to get rid of you, this is just a mild example of why. This s*** where you feel like it’s your job to bring Auburn fans back down to earth and be the board realist is exhausting to people. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Should you ever wonder why so many people tell us to get rid of you, this is just a mild example of why. This s*** where you feel like it’s your job to bring Auburn fans back down to earth and be the board realist is exhausting to people. 

Can you just use the block function against me vs consistently attacking me?

Personal Attacks/Excessive Name-Calling/Belligerance[sic]

Note for member

Quit trying to stir s*** up with people.

Does this not apply?  Can we must move on?

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Can you just use the block function against me vs consistently attacking me?

Does this not apply?  Can we must move on?

You aren’t being attacked. You keep acting the way you act, people keep telling you and the mods they’re sick of it, yet you play the victim. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You aren’t being attacked. You keep acting the way you act, people keep telling you and the mods they’re sick of it, yet you play the victim. 

lol you're threatening me over a 4 day old post and acting belligerance[sic] and intentionally stirring s*** up.

You refuse to take anything to PMs any time I ask you and I guess you'll refuse to block me to avoid future interaction.  I tried and I can't.  I don't even try to interact with you, yet again you're antagonizing towards me when I didn't even engage with you.

Edited by W.E.D

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

lol you're threatening me over a 4 day old post and acting belligerance[sic] and intentionally stirring s*** up.

You refuse to take anything to PMs any time I ask you and I guess you'll refuse to block me to avoid future interaction.  I tried and I can't.  I don't even try to interact with you, yet again you're antagonizing towards me when I didn't even engage with you.

You keep trying to characterize this as interactions with me as if that’s the problem. It’s your interactions *in general* - your incessant need to constantly chime in with negativity or snide shots at fans here for being fans, your “realism” as you like to think of it.

I don’t know if you’re oblivious or willfully antagonistic. But I’ve told you multiple times about it and it never seems to sink in. 

Just stop.  No one here has asked for your unique penchant for board reality checks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You keep trying to characterize this as interactions with me as if that’s the problem. It’s your interactions *in general* - your incessant need to constantly chime in with negativity or snide shots at fans here for being fans, your “realism” as you like to think of it.

I don’t know if you’re oblivious or willfully antagonistic. But I’ve told you multiple times about it and it never seems to sink in. 

Just stop.  No one here has asked for your unique penchant for board reality checks. 

This doesn't even make sense.

You're going off on this weird tangent that I'm bashing AU fans on here when I'm literally replying to a guy and supporting his point about drops/throw aways.  I didn't even take a shot at a poster here.  What are you even talking about?

And just an FYI, if that is "taking shots at Fans" here then I guess I'm being mean to myself too.  Bo Nix, Calzada, even Thorne in season.  

More than happy to take this to PMs so we don't keep clogging up every thread I post in

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

This doesn't even make sense.

You're going off on this weird tangent that I'm bashing AU fans on here when I'm literally replying to a guy and supporting his point about drops/throw aways.  I didn't even take a shot at a poster here.  What are you even talking about?

And just an FYI, if that is "taking shots at Fans" here then I guess I'm being mean to myself too.  Bo Nix, Calzada, even Thorne in season.  

More than happy to take this to PMs so we don't keep clogging up every thread I post in

Titan has a point and should be listened to.  You’re obviously an intelligent person and have investment…. don’t want to loose that but the negativity is exhausting at times 

59 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

the negativity is exhausting at times 

Agree. I hope Auburn gets it together 

@W.E.D re your post that "only AU receivers have drops" did you see the article where an unbiased al.com reporter reported that Thorne had 9 incompletions in the UGA game and 6 of the 9 hit the receiver's hands?  That was our biggest game of the year and receivers having their hands on 67% of incomplete passes --  does that EVER happen elsewhere?   Sure, other teams have drops but you refuse to recognize that we were uniquely great at it all while simultaneously criticizing Thorne.   It seems to be a blind spot. 

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Looks like we are on the right path for “getting it together”. 

Think so