Will we see more staff changes?

I looked at Durkin’s wiki and he has an impressive pedigree coaching under Urban and Harbaugh.  Harbaugh must really like him because he hired him at Stanford and Michigan.  His defense at Texas A&M got lit up a couple times this season with way more talent than Auburn has.

As far as the Maryland situation.  Pat Dye had a kid die in 83 or 84 after a hard practice.  Not trying to excuse it but when you’re trying to push kids things can happen.  Who knows if Pat Dye’s job would have survived if he coached 30 years later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

I looked at Durkin’s wiki and he has an impressive pedigree coaching under Urban and Harbaugh.  Harbaugh must really like him because he hired him at Stanford and Michigan.  His defense at Texas A&M got lit up a couple times this season with way more talent than Auburn has.

As far as the Maryland situation.  Pat Dye had a kid die in 83 or 84 after a hard practice.  Not trying to excuse it but when you’re trying to push kids things can happen.  Who knows if Pat Dye’s job would have survived if he coached 30 years later.

The question for me is more about culture/player response to style. Athletes can die, usually from undetected heart issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The question for me is more about culture/player response to style. Athletes can die, usually from undetected heart issues.

I think this has been addressed several times. It seems it was more that he lost the team after the accident based on his attitude/demeanor, more than the issue itself. 

Edited by WarrrEagleHey
  • Like 3

If it were Durkin, we would’ve hired him already. He’s been available for some time now, and there would’ve been no reason to wait to make the hire. The only reason to have waited this long is that the coach is or had been still coaching up to this point. That means it has to be Chris Kiffin or someone else in the NFL.

Edited by ScotsAU

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

If it were Durkin, we would’ve hired him already. He’s been available for some time now, and there would’ve been no reason to wait to make the hire. The only reason to have waited this long is that the coach is or had been still coaching up to this point. That means it has to be Chris Kiffin or someone else in the NFL.

I agree.  The timing seems really weird. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I don’t know the mechanics of how complete the process could have already been with Kiffin (due to contract stipulations and such), but assuming it wasn’t a done deal that’s where some of these others may come in to play. 
As far as the culture question goes, there are so many variables to something like that…it would definitely give me pause I just hope that those that are making the decision get all the info to make the right call. Culture is after all what all the talk has been about getting it right. 🤞🏼

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

As far as the culture question goes, there are so many variables to something like that…it would definitely give me pause I just hope that those that are making the decision get all the info to make the right call. Culture is after all what all the talk has been about getting it right.

The Harsin hire was supposed to address "culture". It made it more toxic than it has in many years. Our response was to hire a controversial head coach. More culture problems developed within his first staff. If we hire a guy known for creating a toxic culture moreso than anything his defenses have accomplished, it's hard to take the "culture" talk seriously. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

The Harsin hire was supposed to address "culture". It made it more toxic than it has in many years. Our response was to hire a controversial head coach. More culture problems developed within his first staff. If we hire a guy known for creating a toxic culture moreso than anything his defenses have accomplished, it's hard to take the "culture" talk seriously. 

Sorry, man.  These are the most godly coaches many people know.  The forgiveness and baptisms are rising along with the culture 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Durkin was a name so comical, I had to think it was jokes lol. Would be the worst hire the program has made in my lifetime 

Unless all the beat writers are wrong (high chance), get ready for embarrassment 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Unless all the beat writers are wrong (high chance), get ready for embarrassment 

Why would we wait this long to name him the DC if true ? SMH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I would think the only reason it would have taken this long is because we were trying to work it out with someone else and for whatever reason it didn’t. If it ends up being DJ, I won’t lose sleep over it. I just hope it works so we aren’t doing this again next year. 

• Like 2

Stop getting worked up. Let the process play out. He is just going to replace his coordinators again next year anyway. 🤪

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

IDK, it makes little sense.  Not sure why we'd wait for a guy who has been available for so long.  Not sure much has been lost with signing day past, but seems weird to all of a sudden be ready to close with another guy as soon as our #1 is possibly available. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

IDK, it makes little sense.  Not sure why we'd wait for a guy who has been available for so long.  Not sure much has been lost with signing day past, but seems weird to all of a sudden be ready to close with another guy as soon as our #1 is possibly available. 

Surely looks like Kiffin said “no”.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe, just maybe, we're trying to poach a successful DC from another program? I could see how that could take time. Of course it's probably wishful thinking because who doesn't love hiring a young unproven guy?

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Yeah I mean it's the most logical when considering the entire timeline. 

Unless Kiffin starts getting NFL DC interviews, it's a bit weird.  You'd think with their past relationships a Yes/No could've gotten a while ago

• Like 1

I’m sure yall have heard the same thing from podcasts that I’ve heard. Supposedly Nix and Thornton have talked up Durkin. No idea if that is true but that is what was being said, that based on the time that they worked with him he should be the hire. 🤷🏻‍♂️

27 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I’m sure yall have heard the same thing from podcasts that I’ve heard. Supposedly Nix and Thornton have talked up Durkin. No idea if that is true but that is what was being said, that based on the time that they worked with him he should be the hire. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having all of the staff pulling in the same direction is important! If this is true, I’m cool with hiring Durkin! Your peers know if you’re a good fit!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Greg Pratt died during mid-day drills in August 1983.  Ruled heat stroke.  Somewhere in my stack of "stuff" I have saved the newspaper photo and article about the event.  The photo was of Coach Dye and then wife Sue standing in the hospital hall.  The strained look on his face told all.  Pratt, I believe had to be helped by teammates to finish the last of 4 - 440's (timed).  He apparently collapsed in the dressing room afterwards.

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Based on what…how do we know factually he was asked?