Kirby Considering NFL Job

SphyNxXx

Just saw a Facebook article that Kirby Smart may listen to an offer from the Atlanta Falcons owner over the next few days. Could be interesting to watch.

• Like 3

Sorry meant to put this in the rivals forum. Can a mod please move?

NFL job has to look pretty good right now to college coaches.  Normally, no, but with the wild wild west aspect of college right now, Kirby leaving wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

NFL job has to look pretty good right now to college coaches.  Normally, no, but with the wild wild west aspect of college right now, Kirby leaving wouldn't surprise me.

Probably double the money too.

I like and respect Kirby.  He's a Terminator when he has good players, and it looks like he would have good players at UGA for a long time.

So I sure hope the Falcons hire him away.  We might get some UGA transfers or flips.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1

Can you imagine if Saban retires, Kirby goes to the NFL and Kelly goes to Michigan (that is if Harbaugh leaves for NFL also)?

I think Kirby would find, like Saban, coaching is a whole different animal when you cant go pick all the players you want and have to work the draft. He and Saban played a HUGE part in turning recruiting into the year round grind it is now. Its hard to overwhelm teams with better talent in the NFL

Would not be smart for him to go to the NFL. Harbaugh should though.

If something this crazy happened, especially after the Saban news, you're gonna see some INSANE coaching contracts for the 4 or 5 coaches that Alabama and Georgia truly consider.

I’d be shocked if the Falcons could finally get something right for a change. They are one of the hardest Pro teams to be a fan of. Pretty much a disaster outside of the Dan Reeves years.

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kirby is tired of dealing with NIL and the portal

NFL may be a better job at this point. At least you get a little time off. 

• Like 2

Saban retiring would cause Georgia to be top dog. Not sure why he would leave now

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Saban retiring would cause Georgia to be top dog. Not sure why he would leave now

Some of these coaches are really arrogant. Kirby takes me as one of them. This would be a time where someone like Kirby would consider this kind of a jump if he thinks he could be an elite nfl coach.

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Not necessarily with UT and OK coming on board.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

He HATES NIL and the portal

• Like 2

I think there are about to be a lot of changes with NIL and portal.  College programs are going to have to create a GM position to manage all this.  There’s only so many hours in a day 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

He HATES NIL and the portal

So he hates that others can do it now and not just his employer? Sounds about right. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

So he hates that others can do it now and not just his employer? Sounds about right. 

That and the time and stress of the portal. It literally 24/7/365.

Recruit players, recruit team to stay, recruit new portal players, recruit current team again...it's more than staffs can handle or want to. Those that have options are weighing them heavily. 

• Like 4

Kirby To Falcons. 

Fast forward 3 years. Kirby is fired. Hugh Freeze doesn't take control of the SEC West in the post-Saban era and is fired. 

Kirby becomes the next Saban-like failed NFL coach trying to get back into college. We finally hire him and get this thing right like when we interviewed him in 2012. We go on our own UGA-type run. 

... Or all of that happens and Bama saves him from the NFL after the next Bama coach gets fired in 3 years. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I’d be shocked if the Falcons could finally get something right for a change. They are one of the hardest Pro teams to be a fan of. Pretty much a disaster outside of the Dan Reeves years.

If Kirby had any brains he would laugh at the Falcons calling him. 

Being a Falcons fan is literal hell on Earth lol they have not played a great football game since the 2016 NFC Championship game