NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

1 hour ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

A likely play an outstanding but overconfident UCONN team ripe for the upset.

UConn really just seems unbeatable…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

We say that, but watch their whole starting lineup get the flu, the day before they play Bama.

• Haha 3

The fact that Oats has cobbled together a bunch of transfers and has Bama in elite 8 don't help nine other.

3 sweet 16s in last 4 years for him

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The fact that Oats has cobbled together a bunch of transfers and has Bama in elite 8 don't help nine other.

It’s safe to say, Bama is in better hands. They killed it with his hire. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep.  What he's done with garbage facilities and a mostly apathetic fanbase is impressive.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Maybe some Auburn fans can finally wake up to the fact that BP isn't the end all be all for auburn basketball. I'm not saying we need to fire the man. Just stop worshiping the ground he walks on, stop being afraid that life without him means we are doomed back to irrelevency, and that we have to appease his every wish and demand.

9 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Maybe some Auburn fans can finally wake up to the fact that BP isn't the end all be all for auburn basketball. I'm not saying we need to fire the man. Just stop worshiping the ground he walks on, stop being afraid that life without him means we are doomed back to irrelevency, and that we have to appease his every wish and demand.

Wait a second. Wasn’t your last profile picture Bruce Pearl? 😂

image.gif.952e7ba14ca697124782085b68182130.gif

• Haha 4

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

Wait a second. Wasn’t your last profile picture Bruce Pearl? 😂

image.gif.952e7ba14ca697124782085b68182130.gif

Hey, a man can evaluate the trajectory of a situation and make adjustments. But even with him as my profile pic, i was plenty critical of him even during the Jabari year and before, specifically for how he recruited guards. Just ask a few of my haters.

But I still love your gifs.

• Like 1

It doesn't mean they have the better coach. They are just doing better right now. People are just caught up in the moment and right now the moment belongs to them. 

We'll see how Oates handles losing guys over and over... To me the only place we messed up is we didn't value Mark and recruit him the way we should. That's it.

We sat on pat and kept saying we have enough talent, even though they had talent they keep flooding in guard talent. That's the difference. BP is showing loyalty to walk ons and stuff. The stuff some of the same people went in on sanders about.... Now it's not cute

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:55 PM, JerryAU said:

Ehh, Bama actually has Mark Sears on their team, and they aren't getting past the Tar Heels on Friday.  They wouldn't beat any of the remaining 4 teams left in the East regional.  Sears is solid, but I don't think this Auburn team could make it past UConn to ever get to the NC game even with Sears.  

Unfortunately, this post did not age well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Man they look good

• Like 2

So, I’m still not understanding the whole Sears thing.   Why are so many people focusing on him? Is it because there is someone on here that knows the guy and that he had family that was associated with AU?   
Supposedly, AU didn’t recruit the guy.  This whole argument is a bit of joke.   He wasn’t recruited.   The better conversation would be if someone that was on Auburn’s team or actually recruited to come to Auburn.   
why not discuss Shariff and Thor staying last year and playing with Jabari and Kessler?   They both could have used another year to elevate their draft status.   
And lastly, if Aden had gained any confidence throughout the season and played just at a slightly higher level,  Auburn would have gotten beat yesterday by UConn instead of SDSU

• Like 1

North Carolina choked last night ... bama went on a 7-0 run in the last couple of minutes ... they hung in so will give them credit for that but the Heels collapsed during crunch time

13 hours ago, e808 said:

To date he is 6-3 against CBP. Hard to argue that CBP is the better coach. Oh well. All one can do is hope for the best. I

You can say UAT is the better program, the one that has found a way to network and pay players. You cannot say he is the better coach. Otherwise, he should have swept us. 

8 minutes ago, nthemix said:

North Carolina choked last night ... bama went on a 7-0 run in the last couple of minutes ... they hung in so will give them credit for that but the Heels collapsed during crunch time

They were going back and forth pretty much the entire game. Not sure how it could be called a collapse on the Tar Heels part. Bama played all this tough teams early in the season. Now it seems that’s paying dividends. I think Clemson beats them again. I see it as being a bad matchup for them like Florida 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

You can say UAT is the better program, the one that has found a way to network and pay players. You cannot say he is the better coach. Otherwise, he should have swept us. 

The counter argument to that is Auburn is very hard to beat at home . Especially during the CBP era. However, they did sweep Auburn last year . With that being said what else do use to determine things other than numbers. Do people get fired because of their record or not.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

And DeBoer seems like he could be a similar hire, unfortunately...

Watching UConn last night was an eye-opener.  I don't think we could have handled their big guy.  At best, we could have been competitive with him at times.  And their guards looked really good too.  Not sure how deep they are.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Man they look good

Let’s hope they don’t collapse. Same for Clemson 

19 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

And DeBoer seems like he could be a similar hire, unfortunately...

Absolutely, and With Saban as assistant head coach, they will not miss a beat.

16 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Watching UConn last night was an eye-opener.  I don't think we could have handled their big guy.  At best, we could have been competitive with him at times.  And their guards looked really good too.  Not sure how deep they are.

I think they run about 8 deep...I think we would have been fine 3-5, but 1-2 would be a struggle, especially at the 1. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Otherwise, he should have swept us. 

When has that ever been a qualifier for who is a better coach. That is silly. So Kirby smart is not a better coach than Gus Malzahn?  

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

So, I’m still not understanding the whole Sears thing.   Why are so many people focusing on him? Is it because there is someone on here that knows the guy and that he had family that was associated with AU?   
Supposedly, AU didn’t recruit the guy.  This whole argument is a bit of joke.   He wasn’t recruited.   The better conversation would be if someone that was on Auburn’s team or actually recruited to come to Auburn.   
why not discuss Shariff and Thor staying last year and playing with Jabari and Kessler?   They both could have used another year to elevate their draft status.   
And lastly, if Aden had gained any confidence throughout the season and played just at a slightly higher level,  Auburn would have gotten beat yesterday by UConn instead of SDSU

Because it's the classic case of what could have been had BP recognized Sears' talent. It's been shared on this board that Sears wanted and possibly preferred to be at Auburn. The fact we didn't recruit him at all might be one of BP's biggest mistakes and oversights. BP has little control over Shariffe or Thor staying. He DID have control over recruiting Sears, and didn't do it.

10 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t think Auburn basketball fans are being unreasonable when they expect more than Yale and Miami two years ago.  He just coached his 10th season at Auburn. And we’ve been close as hell to the mountain top, so he’s proven that it can be done at Auburn.  I personally don’t ever expect us to win a natty. That’s a very tall task. But for gods sake, can we at least get to a sweet sixteen? He’s had this program for too long for us to be getting booted in the first and second rounds year after year.

Again, I don't think the post is unreasonable. I just think there's been this increasing sentiment that there's something better out there for Auburn, just bc we've been underwhelming in the tournament. THAT is unreasonable. A. Because there isn't and B. because that is a short sighted way of looking at things. That's why I brought Boeheim - you can't be ready to get rid of your long term, best coach ever, during their first relative dry stretch (relative bc it's still better than 95% of Auburn's history). He's earned faith that it'll turn around. 

5 hours ago, WillMunny said:

If Kessler is a 10 as a defensive anchor, Clingan is a 9. You'll notice a lot of similarities if you watch their game. That being said, it's largely been a non-contest for him in terms of real paint challengers. LeDee was small ball 5 sized, and was going to have to be really creative in his scoring to consistently challenge Donovan. 

I think he's the type of guy that's been really deadly towards Broome - moves his feet well, great length, times his contests right, but the HOPE would be that Broome (who's smaller and shorter, but seems more compact) would've been able to put his shoulder in his chest and maybe get a few fouls on him. Would've definitely been a tough matchup for him though.