The Advantage of Hugh Freeze

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

The QB one was complicated ... I agree, he's playing high stakes poker.  But think about it this way, if we had taken a portal QB, we likely lose Thorne and maybe HG (who we might lose anyways).  The biggest names out there would have cost a fortune - think $1M+, compared to the 150K or whatever Thorne is getting.  I said high stakes b/c if you bet on a portal QB who can come in, learn the offense and win right away, you better be right.  So the question is, what portal QB that was actually available would you have taken?

As for WRs, I don't think anyone would say that need hasn't been addressed with the HS class we've brought in.  Those freshmen will start.

Nearly all portal QBs are gambles to some degree, but that's the game, now. Thorne is an example of this. But if the Thorne of last season shows up again this season, those WR freshman are going to cost a fortune to keep on the roster, regardless of how well they play. It's a year to year game now, and QB play is crucial, but we still appear to be taking the 4 year approach. With NIL, that's a bigger gamble than overpaying for a higher percentage QB in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Nearly all portal QBs are gambles to some degree, but that's the game, now. Thorne is an example of this. But if the Thorne of last season shows up again this season, those WR freshman are going to cost a fortune to keep on the roster, regardless of how well they play. It's a year to year game now, and QB play is crucial, but we still appear to be taking the 4 year approach. With NIL, that's a bigger gamble than overpaying for a higher percentage QB in my opinion. 

Name the QB you wanted to roll the dice with.

2 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

What did the kid from Duke want? He seems like a sure bet and would be perfect for Freeze

Pretty sure all the top QBs in the portal were commanding over $1M in NIL money.  A couple maybe close to $2M.  But @bigbird or @RunInRed might be better on those numbers.

9 hours ago, aucom96 said:

However, someone at Auburn understands we need a staff of professional scouts and evaluators off the field for this purpose, so that's a positive. Freeze has often said he wants to build through high school, but this is now a year to year game. 

This is a good point and actual evidence that Freeze may be adjusting well to the current times. 

Thanks for answering my question instead of pointing out HS recruiting for the millionth time, which we all agree is going well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What are we fighting about now?

I just think it is obvious ignorance for some. But what do I know ? Not much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just think it is obvious ignorance for some. But what do I know ? Not much

I’m a card carrying member of that club, sir!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Pretty sure all the top QBs in the portal were commanding over $1M in NIL money.  A couple maybe close to $2M.  But @bigbird or @RunInRed might be better on those numbers.

I believe it was initially around 700k but he then came back at 1M+.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cbo said:

I wonder if Salter might be an option again in the fall? 

I am willing to bet if things look shaky A-Day, the money will randomly be available . I see we have short memories from our bowl game when 90% of the board and even the coach had questions about QB play in a flip.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, cbo said:

I wonder if Salter might be an option again in the fall? 

If we go for a QB, He will be pursued 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Freeze himself said he isn’t good at working the transfer portal and so far he’s accurate with his own self assessment. Why would anyone think other than what he’s shown and said? 

• Like 4

The way Freeze is building HS relationships is the way to go.. the transfer portal will more than likely go through a stage of reform sooner rather than later.

Building a team through the Wild West portal transfer may not last for much longer 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I saw that today that he had a second ankle surgery. Maybe we dodged a bullet short term

• Like 2

As per the OP, the "advantage" of CHF remains to be seen. UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, UT, Texas, Sooners, etc -- they ALL hit the portal successfully.

Will CHF and his team building thru portal and HS recruiting pay off in the next few years? Fact is, we don't know. He's pulled in some highly regarded WRs. The new coaching staff have a LOT of work to do.

I'm still in my "wait and see" mode.

And HOPING for the best, of course. WDE!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:50 PM, RunInRed said:

He may not like the whole NIL deal but he plays the game well - from donor schmoozing/fundraising, to being able to win the living room — all while juggling the factors of the new world. It sounds easy but it’s not — and to do it all while ‘fitting into our ‘family’ and blue collar culture is something I feel he’s done pretty well so far.

After another year of schmoozing and mediocre results on the field, that nil donor held hostage scheme will start to dry up.

Freeze presents no air of confidence or success. Hopefully we will see something different soon.

And why does he always look greasy and unkempt. I’m sure he’s working ridiculous hours but cmon. I think this Auburn job is way to big for him but he was so anxious and blinded by the insane contract it was easy to go for it. He’s probably surprised he sold AD Cohen so easily.

Edited by TigerOne

On 3/27/2024 at 5:27 PM, bigbird said:

I believe it was initially around 700k but he then came back at 1M+.  

And now unashamedly ask donors/fans to pay for this who probably don’t make anywhere near that and are still paying for their or kids education.

This is worse than playing the lottery. Just one more ticket and I’ll win!

23 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Freeze himself said he isn’t good at working the transfer portal and so far he’s accurate with his own self assessment. Why would anyone think other than what he’s shown and said? 

His 1st try at Portal was ranked pretty high.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

His 1st try at Portal was ranked pretty high.

Yes because he had to go to the portal therefore he put most of his effort in doing so.. He seems to struggle in balancing between the two once the obvious was gone. In a perfect world, we would be able to get our needs met utilizing both. Also, the quality of players matter as well. The first portal guys , particularly at the skill position , turned out to be not so great. The good thing is he recognized this and bought in guys to help address it. 

22 hours ago, AURex said:

As per the OP, the "advantage" of CHF remains to be seen. UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, UT, Texas, Sooners, etc -- they ALL hit the portal successfully.

Will CHF and his team building thru portal and HS recruiting pay off in the next few years? Fact is, we don't know. He's pulled in some highly regarded WRs. The new coaching staff have a LOT of work to do.

I'm still in my "wait and see" mode.

And HOPING for the best, of course. WDE!

You listed established, successful teams that were able to upgrade selectively thru the portal. With the exception of Ole Miss, those teams rely primarily on HS recruits and select transfers. Much harder to draw top players to a rebuild— most are looking to  both cash in AND win.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 8:57 PM, GreenTiger said:

Good point. HF says he would rather recruit and develop HS kids. Problem with that is, most don’t stick around long enough to be developed anymore. My biggest fear is, HF will continue to try the old way and develop, versus going after more experienced players in the portal. HF is the 3rd HC in a row with a “supposed offensive background pedigree”, but we have not seen our O look very capable in the last 4-5 years. As I’ve stated in many various topics, the game is being ruined and currently, the top programs can maintain, but AU, is not a top program in the last 15 years, minus our NC, which was obviously not sustained year over year. Yes GM made it to the Championship, his first year, but outside of that, was an 8, maybe 9 win coach. And, all of this was before the game became Semi Pro. Hell, I listened to Kirby Smart on a sports station today and he even thinks it’s become really bad. To me, that opinion carries some weight with it.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Good point. HF says he would rather recruit and develop HS kids. Problem with that is, most don’t stick around long enough to be developed anymore. My biggest fear is, HF will continue to try the old way and develop, versus going after more experienced players in the portal. HF is the 3rd HC in a row with a “supposed offensive background pedigree”, but we have not seen our O look very capable in the last 4-5 years. As I’ve stated in many various topics, the game is being ruined and currently, the top programs can maintain, but AU, is not a top program in the last 15 years, minus our NC, which was obviously not sustained year over year. Yes GM made it to the Championship, his first year, but outside of that, was an 8, maybe 9 win coach. And, all of this was before the game became Semi Pro. Hell, I listened to Kirby Smart on a sports station today and he even thinks it’s become really bad. To me, that opinion carries some weight with it.  

MOST of Gus’s teams were better than their record. Having a top five toughest schedule every year will make lots of teams look worse than they are. I’ve come to really regret firing him tbh, but still believe CHF can get us back to that level (which would get us a playoff berth every couple years).

Our problems by and large stem from factors out of our control. For Pete’s sake, we just won the SEC tourney. The vast majority of teams would be on cloud 9 regardless of the NCAA tourney. But because of the literal elephant in the room it feels like we had finished bottom of the league. It’s why *a part of* me has been open to abandoning traditional rivalries…they’re making us crazy across the grid. Which is a big part of why in terms of job desirability, we’re not very high on the SEC totem pole. What’s the point if in both football [EDIT: no I’m not talking about this year, I’m specifically thinking of 2017] and basketball you can have a really good season and the fans will still be on the ledge?

/rant

Edited by AUwent

On 3/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, TexasTiger said:

I was not a big fan of his hire, and not a blind supporter of his coaching decisions, thus far. But he may be better suited for the current college football climate than many other coaches, including Nick Saban. While Saban thrived for years in the then CFB culture, he’s not well suited for the current one.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nick-saban-calls-out-alabama-players/ar-BB1jri49?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=96b074cfb1c24f8a841255d645c0c213&ei=66

Nick hates the current culture. Freeze may not like it either, but I sense he has more patience for it and a willingness to adapt to it. He’s hungry to prove himself which helps in tolerating the more annoying aspects of the current climate. That said, I think the current system is unsustainable and will ultimately exhaust most coaches.

The current environment is a moving target that is a certainty.  All it will take is another Federal Judge to intervene the target may turn 180 degrees.  So all coaches are trying to traverse.  But if the current climate continues to progress then one can figure that these players are available to the highest bidder.  The institution with money will have a decided advantage.  However the entirety of college football can count on that a player will not remain with an institution for more than 2 years.  

While this IA a problem some axioms don't change.  The coach that does the best job of preparing his team, implementing a superior game plan will be the most successful.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 8:15 PM, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Building a team through the Wild West portal transfer may not last for much longer 

What makes you say that?

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

MOST of Gus’s teams were better than their record. Having a top five toughest schedule every year will make lots of teams look worse than they are. I’ve come to really regret firing him tbh, but still believe CHF can get us back to that level (which would get us a playoff berth every couple years).

Our problems by and large stem from factors out of our control. For Pete’s sake, we just won the SEC tourney. The vast majority of teams would be on cloud 9 regardless of the NCAA tourney. But because of the literal elephant in the room it feels like we had finished bottom of the league. It’s why *a part of* me has been open to abandoning traditional rivalries…they’re making us crazy across the grid. Which is a big part of why in terms of job desirability, we’re not very high on the SEC totem pole. What’s the point if in both football [EDIT: no I’m not talking about this year, I’m specifically thinking of 2017] and basketball you can have a really good season and the fans will still be on the ledge?

/rant

The problem is Auburn fans want the hold their head high for winning the SEC Tourney. Cool, put up the banner but the point of winning the conference tourney is to give you an advantage based on seeding, which obviously didn’t make a difference. Of course, We were so worried about (maybe the players too) about our seed in our bracket that are opponent who was significantly less athletic than us ended up beating us. 

Quite frankly I think that is a problem, not only with fans, but the people who run Auburn. Like the fans, they stay in the present instead of thinking long term. I will give Hugh Freeze props in this manner, he does seem to consider the longevity of the matter based on how he builds programs. 

• Like 1