Repent!

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Neglect”? You just blab too much in want of being an argumentative jack @$$ Brother Homer.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  You don't have any substance to argue, just poo to fling. 

(Yet I'm the jackass. :-\)

On 4/10/2024 at 6:38 PM, SaltyTiger said:

No it doesn’t. Eye for eye in Exodus was clearly Gods instructions regarding the Israelite civil law. Jesus was speaking of personal behaviors.

I thought Jesus was God?  What happened?  Did God change His mind?

And I don't understand the distinction you are making between "Israelite civil law" and  (Jesus teaching regarding "personal behaviors".) 

How do you reconcile God's instructions in the Old Testament with Jesus's teachings?

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I thought Jesus was God?  What happened?  Did God change His mind?

And I don't understand the distinction you are making between "Israelite civil law" and  (Jesus teaching regarding "personal behaviors".) 

How do you reconcile God's instructions in the Old Testament with Jesus's teachings?

Read about it and I don’t mean through google search that fit your narrative. Seriously doubt you would understand. You don’t care to. May as well be talking to about how Jacks bean stalk grew overnight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Read about it and I don’t mean through google search that fit your narrative. Seriously doubt you would understand. You don’t care to. May as well be talking to about how Jacks bean stalk grew overnight.

Well, I suppose that's true enough.  (Except that I wouldn't be the one claiming Jack's bean stalk actually did what the fairy tale said.)

PS: you do understand that search engines don't actually create the content they help you find, don't you?

Edited by homersapien

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, I suppose that's true enough.  (Except that I wouldn't be the one claiming Jack's bean stalk actually did what the fairy tale said.)

I know. You would be showing a 4YO some goofy chart.

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

PS: you do understand that search engines don't actually create the content they help you find, don't you?

You completely missed what I said genius.

50 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I know. You would be showing a 4YO some goofy chart.

You completely missed what I said genius.

Possibly.

What exactly did I misunderstand? I⁸s using the internet for research a bad thing?

Edited by homersapien
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

What exactly did I misunderstand? I⁸s using the internet for research a bad thing?

No. Reading the internet for research is not a “bad thing” and you know it.

18 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No. Reading the internet for research is not a “bad thing” and you know it.

They why did you refer to my using it in a disparaging way?

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

They why did you refer to my using it in a disparaging way?

You asked me 2 questions and made a statement needing clarification. Understanding the Bible is the only way you would understand answers. Not asking you to believe it. I said read about it. 

You really don’t care about answers though. You are doing nothing more than looking to argue. Disparaging the internet because you have a history of conclusion then posting back up from a 9 page opinion by some wacko.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:54 AM, homersapien said:

Speaking of religion and homosexuality, ever heard of the "Secret Book of Mark"?   (I hadn't until The Atlantic published an article on it.) While there's a lot of debate on its validity, to me, its provenance is no less convincing than anything else in the bible. 

Bottom line, one has to be really determined to believe the bible - any bible - is the literal word of God. :-\

Nope. It is very easy for me to believe because I believe God is omnipotent, all knowing, all powerful. You don’t. Your heart is hardened against God. You are willing to go to the mat to discredit God, Jesus, and the Bible, God’s Holy Word. 

What really takes determination is believing that all of this came from nothing. Which existed as nothing before it blew up. Whenever it existed, something was before it. It takes determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Which existed as nothing before it blew up. Whenever it existed, something was before it. It takes determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

Have asked the question previously. According to Homer that is a study In process. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Whenever it existed, something was before it.

Trump says it was him. Is that why you worship him?

31 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

It takes determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

Not really. All it takes is an acknowledgement that we are finite beings trying to understand the infinite, which we don't have the capability to do at this point and may never. Part of me is actually cheered by that thought because those questions drive us as a species and as individuals - what caused us and why? Is there a why? Hopefully if humans ever truly find those answers, we'll be evolved enough to accept and live with them.

It's interesting that you dismiss the possibility of the universe being infinite, yet have no problem believing that God is. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

It's interesting that you dismiss the possibility of the universe being infinite, yet have no problem believing that God is. 

How is the universe being dismissed as infinite

25 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

How is the universe being dismissed as infinite

He said the universe came from nothing, and that it took determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

Edited by Leftfield

5 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

He said the universe came from nothing, and that it took determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

There are new scientific theories forming beyond “the bang” thinking of the past 20 yrs.   2 bangs (dark matter stuff - see attached); universe is twice as old as the current +14billion year thinking, no beginning - infinite bangs, multiverses.  ect.  Bear in mind Genesis was written for people to intellectually digest in the… Stone Age.

I believe science and religion may coalesce in interesting ways in the coming decades. Though I’m skeptical of the trexs on Noah’s arc  thinking 😎- the Bible literalists will be challenged as well.

https://daily.jstor.org/new-paper-argues-that-the-universe-began-with-two-big-bangs/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

There are new scientific theories forming beyond “the bang” thinking of the past 20 yrs.   2 bangs (dark matter stuff - see attached); universe is twice as old as the current +14billion year thinking, no beginning - infinite bangs, multiverses.  ect.  Bear in mind Genesis was written for people to intellectually digest in the… Stone Age.

I believe science and religion may coalesce in interesting ways in the coming decades. Though I’m skeptical of the trexs on Noah’s arc  thinking 😎- the Bible literalists will be challenged as well.

https://daily.jstor.org/new-paper-argues-that-the-universe-began-with-two-big-bangs/

Two big bangs. Wow that’s amazing. What was before the first one? 

2 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Not really. All it takes is an acknowledgement that we are finite beings trying to understand the infinite, which we don't have the capability to do at this point and may never. Part of me is actually cheered by that thought because those questions drive us as a species and as individuals - what caused us and why? Is there a why? Hopefully if humans ever truly find those answers, we'll be evolved enough to accept and live with them.

I didn’t dismiss the possibility of the universe being infinite. God is infinite. God created the universe. It could be finite if He ended it. Or it could be infinite as He is. What caused us? God. Why? Fellowship with Him. We have the answers. We are there. 

3 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Without getting too abstract, a beginning requires the concept of … time.  In Einsteinian physics time is as flexible (“relativity”) as any other type of physical movement.  And sometimes it doesn’t even move. Using Genesis thinking, God created the sun of the fourth day - so how do you measure the 3 days before that (assuming God created time on the first day).

Time and “beginnings” are tricky things.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

The pompadour:

IMG_1950.jpeg

7 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Two big bangs. Wow that’s amazing. What was before the first one

This is what I was referring to....we're finite beings, contained by time, and our brains are hardwired that way. We can't truly grasp time because we can only vaguely perceive it, and even then only in one direction. Would be the same if you asked a two-dimensional being to look up.

12 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Nope. It is very easy for me to believe because I believe God is omnipotent, all knowing, all powerful. You don’t. Your heart is hardened against God. You are willing to go to the mat to discredit God, Jesus, and the Bible, God’s Holy Word. 

What really takes determination is believing that all of this came from nothing. Which existed as nothing before it blew up. Whenever it existed, something was before it. It takes determination to believe that the beginning had no beginning.

OK, fine.