Looking ahead to 2006...

StatTiger

Here are a few things, I believe we need to improve on from 2005:

Defensive Turnovers:

Prior to the 05 campaign, Auburn's defense averaged 28 forced-turnovers per season. This year, our defense has forced only 14 turnovers, which ranks dead last over the past 23 seasons on the Plains. In a game, where we are giving up yardage, a few key turnovers can make the difference in the outcome. By dropping down to just 14 turnovers, we have nowhere to go but up in 2006. I also see an increase in turnovers next season from our defense because the players will have adjusted to Coach Gibbs' schemes.

Big Plays in the Passing Game:

This season we finished 11th over the last 19 seasons in terms of pass attempts per pass plays of 30-yards or more. Cox appeared to improve as the season progressed but it would make our offense deadly if we could hit on the deep pass more often. Once again, opponents will set out to shut down our running game in 2006 and Cox will have his opportunities to hit the big pass plays.

Punt Returns:

No big plays and too many fumbles this season. We saw what a short field could do against a team like Alabama and a good punt return game could change the field position advantage in our favor. This season we are 15th in punt return average compared to the last 19 Auburn teams. With Tre Smith's possible early exit, the punt returner position will be a wide open race. It would be nice to see this area of our team as another weapon rather than a possible crutch.

Fieldgoals:

This season, our FG Pct ranks 22nd over the last 25 seasons. Dye's teams converted on 70% of their FG's and Bowden's teams hit 78%. Under Tuberville, our FG Pct has dropped to 60% over the last seven seasons. Vaughn was very good in 2004 so we know the talent is there but is the coaching?

I'm sure there might be a few minor improvements needed but I thought these were the major concerns we need to address if we are going to make another run for the SECCG or MNC.

Thoughts???

:au::football::cheer::cheer:

1) Gibbs in his second year will concentrate on stripping the ball and INTS, just like Chizik did.

2) We hire a dedicated Special teams cioach and fix the kicking games problems. We have plenty of talent, they just need more attention.

We get these two items done we get awesome for next 5 years.

i think you are right on the money..

What about the statement you made about Trey Smith possibly leaving early? What is that about??

I agree a change definently needs to be made in the punt return situation.

Turnovers didn't come like we are used too, so this is a major thing in my book. How many times did we turn it over this year?? one is too many, but those kind of things happen.

i think you are right on the money..

What about the statement you made about Trey Smith possibly leaving early?  What is that about??

I agree a change definently needs to be made in the punt return situation. 

Turnovers didn't come like we are used too, so this is a major thing in my book.  How many times did we turn it over this year?? one is too many, but those kind of things happen.

201456[/snapback]

It's been reported that he's headed to medical school which would end his football career at Auburn.

oh! hadn't heard that.  he does have another year though if he chooses, right?

201460[/snapback]

Yes, he would be a senior in 2006

Some of our best players on defense were red shirted this year. We had about 3 that could have started. We will be very strong on defense next year.

The only question about Cox is his arm strength. He will work on arm strength during off season and should be much improved on the deep ball.

Special Teams:

This is the area that we must improve. Field goals are still a question mark and will be fixed by summer. Coach will be inviting several new kids to try out. Punt returns need 2 or 3 speed burners not just good hands people. The reason Tre was put in that position was because of his experience and good hands. We know what happened there. The coaches know this and it will be fixed. Davis could be key here.

Depth will be another very strong point for us next year with the new recruiting class coming in.

We have a pretty tough schedule, but 2006 looks like we have a great chance to DO IT!

I agree that some thing needs to be done with the field goals and punt returns if we can hire a special teams coach to address these issues, well 2006-07 could be very special years for :au: .

I think you see AU running for a NC next year, and 2007. That all depends on the injury bug and if Cox keeps doing what hes doing.

Next year will all come down to the play of our OL and our WRs. We lost alot in these departments, but our back ups seem very capable (Leon Hart did GREAT in his first start, grading a 97%, Preschae Rodriguez seems like a big playmaker at WR).

Wow...Don't know what else to add that hasn't already been said.

i feel like we could have a VERY good year next year with some good bounces. We are going to have a murderous row of a schedule without having any breaks. Injuries (or lack there of)will be the key to next year IMO. On a side note I look for Arkansas to take over Bama's position in the West. The West will once again the toast of the conference.....

The Hogs beat MSU by 57 yards to take 11th place in passing yards. I feel like this will improve with their QB situation being changed.

They led the SEC in rushing with 2,386 yards.

Darren Mcfadden was 4th leading rusher in the league with 1,113 yards. He led the SEC an average per carry of 6.3 yards. He was second in rushing TDs with 11. Darren was second in all purpose yards at 137.5 per game.

Felix Jones currently leads the nation in KO returns. 31.9 avg. He was 6th in all purpose yards with 116.4.

Suprisingly, Peyton Hillis was 4th in punt return avg(10.3) and 9th in receptions per game (3.95)

Sam Olajubutu was third in the SEC in tackles with 102.

Keith Jackson had the third most for D line with 59.

Desmond Simms was 4th with 52. He also recorded 5 sacks for 10th in the SEC.

All players mentioned above return in 2006.

LSU will still have a very talented team but who knows how they gel?

Good points, as usual...I didn't get to see too many of our games, but I didn't realize that we had forced so few turnovers.

One thing that really works in our favor next year is our schedule...we get the majority of our tough games at home ( :uga: , :uf: , :lsu: , :arky: ). I hope we can rectify our propensity to cough up openers against decent competition (USC '02, '03, GT this year). Washington State was only 4-7 this season, but they were very young and figure to be better next year, too.

Something else to consider. Even though CAB will be in his 3rd year as OC, this will really be only the 2nd year with this group since we graduated our entire backfield last year. This will be our second year with this group under CAB minus Slaughter. I really think that we will see some major gains by BC and our backs and wideouts having been thru his system for a year.

We have mentioned several times about the idea of bringing in a special teams coach, but who would be in consideration for the position? Would we go after an ex college/nfl kicker or punter or would we attempt to go after a special teams coach who is in the nfl or nfl-ex?

We have mentioned several times about the idea of bringing in a special teams coach, but who would be in consideration for the position? Would we go after an ex college/nfl kicker or punter or would we attempt to go after a special teams coach who is in the nfl or nfl-ex?

For :au: to hire another coach, CTT would have to fire a current one. I may stand corrected, but I believe that colleges can only have a certain number of paid coaches.

For  :au: to hire another coach, CTT would have to fire a current one.  I may stand corrected, but I believe that colleges can only have a certain number of paid coaches.

202015[/snapback]

Correct

For :au: to hire another coach, CTT would have to fire a current one. I may stand corrected, but I believe that colleges can only have a certain number of paid coaches.

202015[/snapback]

I vote that we do NOT fire Borges to bring in a Special Teams coach. ;)

i vote for bringing in former auburn/nfl great and current birmingham resident al del greco as a consultant. it can't hurt.

One other item:

Too many fumbles down the stretch; especially on big plays.

Smith couldn't hang onto a punt for much of the year; but we kept him in; not sure why. Against GA and ALA, he was terrible. Either we have no one else that can catch (which i doubt); or coaches treated him differently for another reason. I can't think of other players with fumbleitis that have stayed in the game.

Irons - fumbled against GA; effort fumble, but he still coughed it up. Against Bama, he was carrying it too loosely and almost caused a goal line disaster on the 2nd TD. He needs to work on this during the offseason. He is such a great talent otherwise.

WR Receivers: Rodrigues turnover that leads to Bama TD and the near disastrous goal line fumble on the fantastic 4th down completion against GA. Thank goodness for Taylor being downfield. Both were stripped from WRs on big gains. A real strength of our recievers is their ability to get yards after the catch. Need to make sure they hang onto the ball too.

The '06 Tigers will need to develop some leadership in key areas. You just can't say enough about Senior leadership. The offense is in good shape with the only "weak" area being the need to develop young recievers.

Defense-We really need the young d-linemen to step up and be leaders.

This coaching staff has done a GREAT job. We do not need to lose a single one.

One other item:

Too many fumbles down the stretch; especially on big plays. 

Smith couldn't hang onto a punt for much of the year; but we kept him in; not sure why.  Against GA and ALA, he was terrible.  Either we have no one else that can catch (which i doubt); or coaches treated him differently for another reason.  I can't think of other players with fumbleitis that have stayed in the game.

Irons - fumbled against GA; effort fumble, but he still coughed it up.  Against Bama, he was carrying it too loosely and almost caused a goal line disaster on the 2nd TD.  He needs to work on this during the offseason.  He is such a great talent otherwise.

WR Receivers: Rodrigues turnover that leads to Bama TD and the near disastrous goal line fumble on the fantastic 4th down completion against GA.  Thank goodness for Taylor being downfield.  Both were stripped from WRs on big gains.  A real strength of our recievers is their ability to get yards after the catch.  Need to make sure they hang onto the ball too.

202104[/snapback]

The fumble into the endzone during the UGA game was nothing more than a great defensive effort from the UGA DB.

The 2 fumbles during the Bama game have to be credited to Bama's D. They have been the best at stripping the ball all year long. One thing about the Rodriquez fumble is that his forward momentum had been stopped and they were pushing him backwards while trying to strip the ball. I think the refs let the play go a little too long on several occasions during the game.

Archived