Tide player arrested

vatz22au

Starting LB Juwan Simpson charged with receiving stolen property, possession of marijuana and carrying a pistol without a license.

link

Tide linebacker Simpson arrested

Sunday, May 21, 2006

STEVE KIRK

News staff writer

University of Alabama starting linebacker Juwan Simpson was arrested Saturday by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office and charged with receiving stolen property, possession of marijuana and carrying a pistol without a license.

Simpson, 21, was booked at the Bessemer Jail. He is free after posting a bond of $7,000, according to a deputy at the jail. The bonds included $5,000 for receiving stolen property and $1,000 each for marijuana possession and the firearm charge.

Simpson, a senior and Decatur native, has started at linebacker for two years. He was a 2005 Academic All-Southeastern Conference selection who earned his undergraduate degree in financial planning in December. He is pursuing a second degree in criminal justice, according to UA media relations.

At the conclusion of spring practice April 1, Crimson Tide coaches presented Simpson with the Derrick Thomas Community Award, named after the late ex-Alabama linebacker who was actively involved in charitable works.

After starting every game for the Crimson Tide last fall, Simpson is one of four returning starters on defense for the 2006 team.

UA head coach Mike Shula could not be reached for comment.

In recent arrests involving Alabama players, Shula's punishment has included a suspension. Quarterback John Parker Wilson missed a game and worked with the scout team after his DUI arrest Oct. 16. Safety Marcus Carter missed the 2005 season opener against Middle Tennessee after his May 28 arrest for underage possession of alcohol.

Wow, Juwan has a sterling rep here in Decatur where he grew up. Lets hope this part of a misunderstanding.

Yeah it doesnt make sense to me. Juwan already graduated and is pursuing a second degree. He also has one many community service awards.

If he's guilty he needs to be shown the door. I dont care how great of a leader or community service guy he is. I doubt there would EVER be another problem from him again...but this is big enough that it will follow him for some time.

He needs at LEAST a 6 game suspension if guilty...but probably should be let go.

He will be suspended from the first practice of the Fall. ;)

He will be suspended from the first practice of the Fall. ;)

236181[/snapback]

You unfairly underestimate Shula. I think he doesn't get to start in the first game. He plays in the second series of downs.

Something tells me we'll see the SEC's version of the "Bowden school of discipline" with this one... Except instead of "dadgum" shula uses the "F" word...

Wow, Juwan has a sterling rep here in Decatur where he grew up. Lets hope this part of a misunderstanding.

236167[/snapback]

I am now hearing more info and it does not look good. I am sorry to hear it. I am told it was not his first brush with the law. Recently he got into trouble and it was handled by the leadership at his church before it got bad. (Hope I said that right.)

Yeah it doesnt make sense to me. Juwan already graduated and is pursuing a second degree. He also has one many community service awards.

If he's guilty he needs to be shown the door. I dont care how great of a leader or community service guy he is. I doubt there would EVER be another problem from him again...but this is big enough that it will follow him for some time.

He needs at LEAST a 6 game suspension if guilty...but probably should be let go.

236169[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Wasn't he on the SEC Good Works team even?

I hate to hear this for the young man, especially after he has a degree in hand. Maybe whatever punishment he receives will be a good deterrent so that he can get back on the straight and narrow.

This is the same sh*$ head that hit Brandon Cox in the back on the first drive of the 05 game. The roughing the passer foul was called and we know the Tigers would go on to score quickly after that.

Thanks Juwanny, for 1st and 10 and keeping the drive alive.

Good Luck in your future endeavors (watch your back). You looked good in Orange while at Austin-Decatur, it will be good to see you in orange again.

This is the same sh*$ head that hit Brandon Cox in the back on the first drive of the 05 game.  The roughing the passer foul was called and we know the Tigers would go on to score quickly after that.

Good Luck in your future endeavors (watch your back). You looked good in Orange while at Austin-Decatur, it will be good to see you in orange again.

236342[/snapback]

Roman Harper was the guilty one, not Simpson.

This is the same sh*$ head that hit Brandon Cox in the back on the first drive of the 05 game.  The roughing the passer foul was called and we know the Tigers would go on to score quickly after that.

236342[/snapback]

236344[/snapback]

I'll have to refer to the footage tonight. It never gets old.

Who caused the fumble against UT that saved the game winning UT touchdown?

236342[/snapback]

236344[/snapback]

236348[/snapback]

Roman Harper.

Well right now the word is that he bought the gun from an individual...so he probably didnt know it was stolen.

That doesnt mean it wasnt poor judgement though. Thats why they have proper channels for gun sales. Go to a pawn shop Juwan. They're cheap.

that is terrible for him but the strange part is he is trying to get him crimal justice degree I guess now he will have a lot to talk about :big:

236342[/snapback]

236344[/snapback]

236348[/snapback]

Roman Harper.

236349[/snapback]

After serious review of the game film.

Correct Harper took the cheap shot on Cox during the first possession.

Simpson was the LB who took two steps forward on the play action (when the rest of the LBs played their 3rds, obviously they had a coverage called for the short pass) blowing his zone; that let Ben O. come across on the drag wide open in the flat for the 1st TD. He blew his zone.

Then on the reverse that Ben O. ran in for a TD. Simpson was coming on a stunt to the C gap and checked the fake give to the Tailback(Stewart) as the Fullback(Slaughter) runs right past him to chip the DE and take the corner and the safety completely out of the play. As a LB, when you notice the Fullback makes no attempt to block you or anybody in this matter even touches you, that would be your first clue you have overrun the play because you don’t know your responsibilities and how to play the position. If he had of played the gap the way he was taught, Slaughter would have either had to block him, leaving the CB to make the play or Simpson would have seen the play coming back in the other direction and made the tackle on Ben O. Instead, he runs straight into the backfield turning his back to the football trying to make the hotshot tackle on the TB for a 4 yard loss.

You will notice as Ben O. makes his cut back across the field as the Tide Secondary over pursed the play to the sideline, NONE of the Tide LBs/DEs/DTs (including Simpson because he was loafing on the play after the reverse went away from him he stood their and watched Stewart block the DE) hustled down the field to keep Ben from cutting back to score.

So again, Thanks Juwanny for contributing on TWO Tiger TDs! Good Luck with the trail, probation, and the AFL2!

The Bama media machine can blow this guy up to be at least 2nd team SEC, but looking at the biggest game of the 2005 season; he played like the typical overated Bama LB. Once again, Kines’ coaching genius shines brightly.

Hey now, Roman is a great guy, I'm sure this wasn't intentional.

Archived