Will Alabama beat Auburn?

Legionfield

Uhhh..umm, yeah says the mole popping out of the ground again...

You DO know that this reply doesn't explain what I said though, right? I mean, look dude, if you take umbrage to that statement, go back and find where you've defended bama to the bitter end in just about every thread anyone says something negative about your beloved Tide.

That's ummm, like nothing new.

Yet again your argument doesn't make sense. Nothing new.

I said:

I didn't have a problem with assertion that Auburn is the better team right now.

And your coment about the "mole" thing was basically saying that I DO have a problem with the idea that AU is the better team.

So I counter with the fact that I've said 4 times this week...on this board...that I think AU is the better team.

Why is this so hard to grasp?

I said Auburn is a better team. The problem I had was your comment that we are falling "further behind." Considering we were 6-7 last year and playing worse than we are now, I don't see how you can say that with a straight face.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said Auburn is a better team. The problem I had was your comment that we are falling "further behind." Considering we were 6-7 last year and playing worse than we are now, I don't see how you can say that with a straight face.

So, let's read what I said....TWICE now....

Until you win, you're steadily falling further behind us. Losing a 6th would "continue" the fall as it pertains to your rivalry with AUBURN. This really doesn't have anything to do with games vs. Arkansas, LSU, or Bumblescrew U. Think about it that way.

Not trying to be a dick either of course.

I bold typed it this time hoping you'll see it on pass #3.

You even responded with this little nugget...

Which is basically saying we haven't closed the gap since our 6-7 team last year.

And that is asinine. Alabama got worse from game 1 to game 12 last year. We have obviously improved, not only from last year to this year, but as the season has progressed as well.

Seriously, are you using the "Alabama got worse from game 1 to game 12 last year" excuse for the previous 4 losses in a row also? What's your excuse for those??? :rolleyes:

Uhh, umm, you DO know that you haven't played Auburn yet this year...uhh...right? Seriously, UNTIL you beat AUBURN, you're ON A CURRENT SLIDE OF FIVE GAMES. Thus, if you lose a sixth, I don't care if you've won 29 games between last year's LOSS, you would have CONTINUED the SLIDE.

Now, dispute that. Please...

Seriously, are you using the "Alabama got worse from game 1 to game 12 last year" excuse for the previous 4 losses in a row also? What's your excuse for those???

Ok. Now you're just being silly. And putting words in my mouth. Last year we sucked. We were 6-7. This year we are 6-3 with all three losses coming by a 1 score margin. We have gotten better from game 1 to game 9. If you don't think we are closing the gap in terms of your PROGRAM being better than our PROGRAM, then you are kidding yourself.

But hey, until you can fix this one game slide against MSU, I think it's clearly evident that you are falling further behind their program.

Uhh, umm, you DO know that you haven't played Auburn yet this year...uhh...right? Seriously, UNTIL you beat AUBURN, you're ON A CURRENT SLIDE OF FIVE GAMES. Thus, if you lose a sixth, I don't care if you've won 29 games between last year's LOSS, you would have CONTINUED the SLIDE.

Yes, I know we haven't played you this year. But do you honestly think that you can judge a programs descent or ascention based on a win or a loss? You don't think there are more factors involved?

Example: We could have gone 13-1 this year, losing only to Auburn. Does that mean our PROGRAM is falling behind yours? Or does that mean we lost that game, but we are MUCH improved over last year?

There's a difference in losing a game, and falling behind in terms where your program is.

Again, not a hard concept to grasp.

Considering we were 6-7 last year and playing worse than we are now, I don't see how you can say that with a straight face.

At this point in the season you're exactly where you were last season. With roughly the same results against the same competition.

At this point in the season you're behind where you were two years ago (when you tried to convince me Shula was the answer, master and had the corner turned). This is significant because of the scheduling, which for you guys is much easier in odd-numbered years (Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU at home).

You may see improvement in intangible things like "effort" and "intensity" because you WANT to see those things. You saw them with Shula. You (and I mean the collective you) tooted his horn until your tooters were sore, pimping his recruiting ability -- I'll never forget the "he finds nuggets of talent before other coaches find out about them" line -- among his other attributes. And now you (the collective you) have moved on to nick sucking. But the fact remains that the on-field results are startlingly similar to where you've been over the last two seasons. It's not a stretch to think that those who don't wear crimson-colored glasses or lap from the media-fed pool of Saban love might not necessarily see where there's any major difference.

But the fact remains that the on-field results are startlingly similar to where you've been over the last two seasons

Possibly the most incorrect thing you've ever posted.

If you think this year's Alabama team is the same as last year's, then that is just coming from the same Galen who told me earlier in the year "Nick Saban is not a good recruiter"

Seriously, are you using the "Alabama got worse from game 1 to game 12 last year" excuse for the previous 4 losses in a row also? What's your excuse for those???

Ok. Now you're just being silly. And putting words in my mouth. Last year we sucked. We were 6-7. This year we are 6-3 with all three losses coming by a 1 score margin. We have gotten better from game 1 to game 9. If you don't think we are closing the gap in terms of your PROGRAM being better than our PROGRAM, then you are kidding yourself.

But hey, until you can fix this one game slide against MSU, I think it's clearly evident that you are falling further behind their program.

You still don't acknowledge what's been said to you. I guess you bringing up the MSU thing, means that you believe that Bama is behind MSU as well, since you lost to them. You've lost 5 in a row to us, so I guess, that means you're light years behind us. That's just stupid. They beat us this year, good for them and their program, but 1 win out of the last 6 doesn't make me question my programs position in the grand scheme of things. Now, if we lose 5 in a row....or more...hmm....

Yes, I know we haven't played you this year. But do you honestly think that you can judge a programs descent or ascention based on a win or a loss? You don't think there are more factors involved?

Example: We could have gone 13-1 this year, losing only to Auburn. Does that mean our PROGRAM is falling behind yours? Or does that mean we lost that game, but we are MUCH improved over last year?

There's a difference in losing a game, and falling behind in terms where your program is.

Hey, numbnuts...You've lost FIVE in a row. This isn't based on losing "last year's game".

Again, not a hard concept to grasp.

You getting dizzy yet?

But the fact remains that the on-field results are startlingly similar to where you've been over the last two seasons

Possibly the most incorrect thing you've ever posted.

If you think this year's Alabama team is the same as last year's, then that is just coming from the same Galen who told me earlier in the year "Nick Saban is not a good recruiter"

Everything he said is accurate, BG. As far as the tangible, objective (meaning facts, figures, numbers) things, your team is just about where they were last year. The difference is that in 2007 you see better effort, more heart, etc. because you want to see those things. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Well, those things are nice, but there is no way to document those. I can, however, visit the Tuscaloosa PD and get some documentation to the contrary.

You getting dizzy yet?

No. I'm getting bored. I'm honestly tired of trying to walk you through a very simple concept.

In 2003, when we went 4-9 and lost to Auburn, we were falling behind as a program. You were getting better and we were in the middle of a decline.

In 2007, we are 6-3 and just lost the west by 1 TD. You, on the other hand, have the same record with 2 tough games to go compared to our 1. Your losses came to unranked MSU, unranked USF, and the same LSU team that beat us. Our losses came to top 10 UGA (by 1 TD) and #26 FSU (by 1 TD).

In 2004 our programs were worlds apart. In 2007 if you think they are further apart than in 2004, you need to lay down the crack pipe.

No. I'm getting bored. I'm honestly tired of trying to walk you through a very simple concept.

The feeling is mutual. In 2005, you guys were "BACK!", on the cover of SI, and you still lost to Auburn. Records of that particular year, don't mean SH** to me. It's about how you compete against Auburn when it comes to the Iron Bowl. It's the whole purpose of this thread. My point was simple. I had an opinion about where I believed this rivalry COULD go if it turned into a mental issue with Bama. I didn't expect you to agree with me. Why would I? But for you to come in here, and waste 3 pages of BS trying to say how you're right there with us based on LAST year, is completely and utterly ridiculous. Beat us on the field, make this rivalry something again, because it's been BAMA seriously lacking on your end of the deal FOR YEARS now.

In 2003, when we went 4-9 and lost to Auburn, we were falling behind as a program. You were getting better and we were in the middle of a decline.

In 2007, we are 6-3 and just lost the west by 1 TD. You, on the other hand, have the same record with 2 tough games to go compared to our 1. Your losses came to unranked MSU, unranked USF, and the same LSU team that beat us. Our losses came to top 10 UGA (by 1 TD) and #26 FSU (by 1 TD).

In 2004 our programs were worlds apart. In 2007 if you think they are further apart than in 2004, you need to lay down the crack pipe.

I never said they were "further" apart. YOU keep bringing up how much better you are THIS year. Who gives a crap? You were "Back" in 05!

What's your excuse for 02, 05? You didn't list them in your excuse list up here.

There's an excuse for everything with you BG. I'd expect nothing less.

The difference is that in 2007 you see better effort, more heart, etc. because you want to see those things.

No. I see beating UT 41-17 as opposed to losing 16-13.

I see LSU having to go for it on 4th down with 2:30 left in the game to have a prayer of winning...better than losing by 2 TDs in the best game we played last year.

I see being 6-3 with the #4 strength of schedule as opposed to the #63 SOS this time last year.

I see us struggling with Duke and FIU last year, and getting clobbered by MSU.

But yeah, it's the same team. You keep thinking that.

Hey, aren't we in the top 25? Where were we ranked last year?

I see LSU having to go for it on 4th down with 2:30 left in the game to have a prayer of winning...better than losing by 2 TDs in the best game we played last year.

I see being 6-3 with the #4 strength of schedule as opposed to the #63 SOS this time last year.

Very good BG. So how does this have anything to do with you losing five games in a row to Auburn, even when you had good years during that losing skid?

In 2007, we are 6-3 and just lost the west by 1 TD.

Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo. We lost it first and by less than a TD!

Get serious, Jay Barker. The West was decided when Auburn and LSU played, just like it is and will continue to be in most years.

I never said they were "further" apart.

You said they were falling behind.

Main Entry: 1far·ther

Pronunciation: \ˈfär-thər\

Function: adverb

Etymology: Middle English ferther, alteration of further

Date: 14th century

1 : at or to a greater distance or more advanced point

2 : to a greater degree or extent

usage Farther and further have been used more or less interchangeably throughout most of their history

Hmmm.

Very good BG. So how does this have anything to do with you losing five games in a row to Auburn, even when you had good years during that losing skid?

It has everything to do with the post to which I responded.

The difference is that in 2007 you see better effort, more heart, etc. because you want to see those things.

I'm bored too.

We had this EXACT same discussion in 2005. Bama's home schedule is conducive to better seasons in odd numbered years. So instead of doing this all over again in 2009 will somebody just copy this, save it and repost it then?

I never said they were "further" apart.
You said they were falling behind.

Main Entry: 1far·ther

Pronunciation: \ˈfär-thər\

Function: adverb

Etymology: Middle English ferther, alteration of further

Date: 14th century

1 : at or to a greater distance or more advanced point

2 : to a greater degree or extent

usage Farther and further have been used more or less interchangeably throughout most of their history

Hmmm.

Umm, so I guess this should have made sense to you, right?

4th time posted now..

Until you win, you're steadily falling further behind us. Losing a 6th would "continue" the fall as it pertains to your rivalry with AUBURN. This really doesn't have anything to do with games vs. Arkansas, LSU, or Bumblescrew U. Think about it that way.

Not trying to be a dick either of course.

It has everything to do with the post to which I responded.

You STILL have not answered, or given a reason why you believe that this years schedule, successes, or misfortunes, have ANYTHING to do with your history with Auburn over the past 5 years.

...and I know you probably never will. You're cornered, and you're going to spin and spin and spin till you're just left alone. Typical BG tactics.

We had this EXACT same discussion in 2005. Bama's home schedule is conducive to better seasons in odd numbered years.

In 2005, through 9 games our SOS was 50. Right now it's 4. But in 2005, we were also a pretty darn good football team.

So, Galen, do you expect us to go 6-7 NEXT year when we aren't playing the big ones at home?

Time out!!! Time out!! I am getting a headache. :( We are vastly improved from last year. We still have a long way to go to catch up with Auburn. It all starts this year....in my opinion. B)

No problem with that. In fact, Good luck Legionfield! :thumbsup:

Thank you for not telling me how you being improved the rest of this season constitutes equality to what Auburn has accomplished vs. Alabama in the past few years.

Some "get it", some "deny it", some are just plain "ignorant".

Same to you, and that is an awesome sig you have!!

Maybe I have had to much kool-aid, but I think we might just win. Although everyone brings up great points on why we will not. :no: Do you believe in miracles???? We will have to wait and see. I hope both teams keep winning until we meet. Good luck to AU against UGA!

Same to you, and that is an awesome sig you have!!

Sig was done by Brian, or resident sig man. I'm a fan of his work myself. B)

I'd expect your "hope of winning" coming from a fan of the Tide. Actually, it amazes me that some on here, don't seem to understand that we'll feel like we're going to win as fans of the Tigers.

:rolleyes:

Taking it down the MSU tangent was a bunch of BS. You wasted 2 pages on that crap. Unbelievable. You'll never stop either, you'll crunch, bury and crap your slacks forever to not let anyone else make a point.

:rolleyes:

It's the same thing with you everytime. I didn't waste 2 pages on MSU crap. WE did.

Here's the point you made..

I see Auburn dominating Alabama like Florida dominated Georgia for so long. It's getting to the point, where Auburn players and staff just expect, and will get themselves focused into a mindset that they can't lose this game. It's just not supposed to happen, and they're not going to let it happen on their guard (sound familiar bama???).

Outstanding Alabama teams could find this a harder than expected road to hoe. I could see this game being domintated by Auburn (especially with the young complete, and talented group we have) for literally another few years before Bama slips one in on us.

That's fine. That's your opinion. You could see this game being dominated by Auburn for another few years before Bama wins.

You then go on to say....

I think 5 games in a row, constitues "falling behind".

So, because Auburn has won 5 games in a row, Bama is falling behind and you could see it being at least a few years before Bama is able to slip one in.

I respond with....

Just so you know, Auburn had beat Miss St 6 games in a row before this year. Anything can happen. Not saying it will, just that it can. Regardless of what has happened for the last however many years.

My point? AU beat MSU 6 years in a row and is clearly ahead of MSU. That didn't stop MSU from "slipping one in" this year.

That was it. You made your point that you think AU will not only win this year but for at least a few more years. My point was anything can happen. There was nothing left to discuss. I didn't say Auburn wasn't ahead of Bama. I didn't say that Alabama will beat Auburn. I said that it was possible.

But you couldn't stop there. No, you had to find your clever little jab to put in....

Sounds an awful lot like a Bammer comparing themselves to Miss St. .....

Just sayin....

Ah yes. The smack talk.

My response??

Miss St > Auburn

Normally that's smack for smack. Not with you though.

Hahaha...I love your logic...

Using your point....and numbers...

6-1 vs. Miss St. ....means that "Miss St. > Auburn. Yeah, losing this year sucked, but if you believe that anyone here believes Miss St. is a better team, or a better program, you're high.

Now, using the same logic, we're 7-3 in the last 10 years against Bama (15-9 since "the bahr" passed...).

5-0 in the last 5, so I guess you feel that Bama is a better team and program right now than Auburn.

That's okay though... spin it whatever way you need to. Especially considering you're going INTO the game with them (Miss St.) this weekend. I give them a good shot at beating Bama.

Are you kidding me?? It's at this point that I realize you will argue about anything, so yeah, I was purposely being an assclown. Why? Because you'll argue with a brick wall if you think it has offended AU in anyway. I actually wasn't going to stop with you until this...

Forgive me Argo, but really, your tangent arguement is old, and not worth anymore time.
True to form though, you burst right back into the thread less than an hour after stating that you wouldn't waste anymore time with it.

The last thing I'll add to this before Iron Bowl week is what I've already said countless times. Anything can happen. Just because AU has won 5 in a row and will be considered favorites in this game doesn't mean you guys are a lock in the Iron Bowl. Bama will have to bring it's best game to beat Auburn. It is possible.

So, wasting more time I see. Very nice. Preach to me about not letting it go, and then POOF, crap out another gem like this one. I never said Bama doesn't have a chance. I made my point, talked a little smack in the process, and you've now written a manifesto in response 24 hours after it was let go.

dhvq9.jpg

Get over it Argo. :roflol:

Our defense won't have an answer for your runningbacks. I'm fairly confident of that.

The recent play of freshman DB Kareem Jackson gives me some hope of sticking with your receivers on quick slants. I don't necessarily seeing us getting beat deep, either, but rather being nickled and dimed down the field all day.

If Auburn comes out and sticks with the game plan, they should get a rather easy victory, regardless of the final score.

Wow - I am impressed with your objective way of looking at things. I do agree with you wholeheartedly on us not being able to beat Alabama deep; Brandon just does not have the arm for it and we haven't shown we have the talent to go deep w/ consistently. That said, our tailbacks are very good and getting better. Our O-line is young but good. The bad news for 'Bama is that we will basically have all of our starters back next year (except K Dunlap, but he did lose his job for quite a few games to a talented freshman). I suspect that by the time 2009 rolls around, Saban will have the Tide stocked with talent enough to start making the Iron Bowl a big rivalry again.

Archived