Bama Losing a Couple of Star Recruits?

Proud Tiger

Nothing official yet, but a good source at bama says two highly rated signees in the 2007 class won't be around this Fall. Looks like Nick Gentry is leaving the team and Kerry Murphy (of the infamous Hoover High grade changing fiasco) won't be elgible. It won't be official until Saban tells WinCrimson. :P

Nothing official yet, but a good source at bama says two highly rated signees in the 2007 class won't be around this Fall. Looks like Nick Gentry is leaving the team and Kerry Murphy (of the infamous Hoover High grade changing fiasco) won't be elgible. It won't be official until Saban tells WinCrimson. :P

nothing really new here. BOL had an article a while back that mentioned Gentry was leaving, and i don't think anybody ever expected Murphy to qualify. Gentry was a 3* and was offered by UA, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and Ole Miss.....not sure i would exactly rate him has "highly rated", but ok.

nothing really new here. BOL had an article a while back that mentioned Gentry was leaving, and i don't think anybody ever expected Murphy to qualify. Gentry was a 3* and was offered by UA, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, and Ole Miss.....not sure i would exactly rate him has "highly rated", but ok.

did anyone else get flattened by that freight train of haughtiness coming from the above post.

..and aren't they losing one, probably two from this class to MLB?

I guess ol' Nick knew what he was talking about when he told the press to shut up and let him worry about the numbers game, scholarship-wise. :rolleyes:

Too bad "recruiting rankings" aren't based on how many "stars" show up in the fall instead of how many sign in February.

did anyone else get flattened by that freight train of haughtiness coming from the above post.

Now that deserves :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Murhphy never should have graduated from Hoover. It is too bad that so many lives were ruined over his recruitment.

Oh well, sé la saben!

Too bad "recruiting rankings" aren't based on how many "stars" show up in the fall instead of how many sign in February.

I believe I stated that quite often when Auburn would get a verbal and then we would find out he wasn't attending. Then everyone would glorify, "Well it's fine, they will be sign and place and we will get them in one or two years. I prefer JUCO transfers anyways." But everyone would still claim how good a class still was. Then a year or two later the kid never comes (that RB kid that went to Ole Miss - already forgot his name) and when they do, everyone claims how great the class is (even though they already signed a year or two earlier). This is why I laugh at people's reactions to recruiting rankings.

Gentry, from Pratville, was

-All Metro, All County and All State

--Ranked #11 prospect in state by Mobile Press Register

--Ranked #14 in state by Super Prep

--Class 5A MVP

Not too shabby. But you are right, he is no great shakes since Auburn didn't even offer :poke:

Yes, Destin Hood and Melvin Ray.

I guess ol' Nick knew what he was talking about when he told the press to shut up and let him worry about the numbers game, scholarship-wise. :rolleyes:

How many didn't make it to campus out of AU's class last year? It was substantial.

How many didn't make it to campus out of AU's class last year? It was substantial.

Why ask? The thread was simply about two good players who won't be playing for bama this Fall without anything derogatory said. Just your usual hijack try. If you want to start a thread abour how many players won't be at Auburn this Fall start a thread with some data.

I know bama fans on this board and elsewhere that were stunned when Murphy ever got into school last year, let alone played. Didnt he miss something like 70+ days of school his senior year?

I'll have to ask Prowler before I will believe you.

I'll have to ask Prowler before I will believe you.

3.5 Grillz at best. No sips from da' pimp cup.

I know bama fans on this board and elsewhere that were stunned when Murphy ever got into school last year, let alone played. Didnt he miss something like 70+ days of school his senior year?

It's not what you know, but, who you know @ Hoover High School! B)

It's not what you know, but, who you know @ Hoover High School! B)

and how much you can make it worth their while...(if you know what I mean)

I don't recall last year and so won't labor the point with you.

As for this year, per Phillip Marshall, we have three non-qualifiers or "sign-and place" (Smooth, Adams, & B. Smith) and three still in limbo (Lipscomb, Johnson, and McCalebb). I generally think of a true "sign-and-place" as one who the coaches knew for sure would be prep/juco-bound when they were offered, not someone who was expected to qualified and didn't make it:

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2008/06/...coming_and.html

Who's on campus, who's coming and who's not

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times June 09, 2008 3:54 PM

I've had several requests for updates on Auburn's incoming signees. Here is the list of players and their status:

DL Jomarcus Savage: On campus.

WR Darvin Adams: On campus.

ATH Harry Adams: On campus.

DL Derrick Lykes: On campus.

DE Cameron Henderson: On campus.

CB D'Antoine Hood: On campus.

WR Philip Pierre-Louis: On campus.

DT Andre Wadley: On campus.

LB Spencer Pybus: On campus.

CB Drew Cole: On campus.

QB Barrett Trotter: On campus.

WR Derek Winter: On campus.

S Christian Thompson: Scheduled to arrive before the end of the week.

S Marcus Jemison: Scheduled to arrive before the end of the week.

RB Eric Smith: Schedule to arrive before the end of the week.

CB T'Sharvan Bell: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

DS Dax Dellenbach: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

RB Reggie Hunt: Scheduled to arrive later this month

TE Vance Smith: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

DL Freddie Smooth: Unlikely to qualify. Will probably attend junior college.

DB Neiko Lipscomb: Qualifying status uncertain.

OL Jermaine Johnson: Qualifying status uncertain.

RB Onterio McCalebb: Qualifying status uncertain.

Quarterback-turned-safety DeRon Furr, quarterback Chris Todd, defensive end Raven Gray and linebacker DaShaun Barnes enrolled last January.

Tight end Ken Adams and athlete Brandon Smith were sign-and-place prospects who are headed to junior college.

One question: Where's Eltoro? Is this list only the high school graduates? (I've been waiting for almost two years now to see that name wreaking havoc in a Tiger uniform! :big:

I don't recall last year and so won't labor the point with you.

As for this year, per Phillip Marshall, we have three non-qualifiers or "sign-and place" (Smooth, Adams, & B. Smith) and three still in limbo (Lipscomb, Johnson, and McCalebb). I generally think of a true "sign-and-place" as one who the coaches knew for sure would be prep/juco-bound when they were offered, not someone who was expected to qualified and didn't make it:

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2008/06/...coming_and.html

Who's on campus, who's coming and who's not

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times June 09, 2008 3:54 PM

I've had several requests for updates on Auburn's incoming signees. Here is the list of players and their status:

DL Jomarcus Savage: On campus.

WR Darvin Adams: On campus.

ATH Harry Adams: On campus.

DL Derrick Lykes: On campus.

DE Cameron Henderson: On campus.

CB D'Antoine Hood: On campus.

WR Philip Pierre-Louis: On campus.

DT Andre Wadley: On campus.

LB Spencer Pybus: On campus.

CB Drew Cole: On campus.

QB Barrett Trotter: On campus.

WR Derek Winter: On campus.

S Christian Thompson: Scheduled to arrive before the end of the week.

S Marcus Jemison: Scheduled to arrive before the end of the week.

RB Eric Smith: Schedule to arrive before the end of the week.

CB T'Sharvan Bell: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

DS Dax Dellenbach: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

RB Reggie Hunt: Scheduled to arrive later this month

TE Vance Smith: Scheduled to arrive later this month.

DL Freddie Smooth: Unlikely to qualify. Will probably attend junior college.

DB Neiko Lipscomb: Qualifying status uncertain.

OL Jermaine Johnson: Qualifying status uncertain.

RB Onterio McCalebb: Qualifying status uncertain.

Quarterback-turned-safety DeRon Furr, quarterback Chris Todd, defensive end Raven Gray and linebacker DaShaun Barnes enrolled last January.

Tight end Ken Adams and athlete Brandon Smith were sign-and-place prospects who are headed to junior college.

One question: Where's Eltoro? Is this list only the high school graduates? (I've been waiting for almost two years now to see that name wreaking havoc in a Tiger uniform! :big:

That is last years recruiting class. Eltoro is part of this years recruiting class. He will not arrive in Auburn until some time next year.

That is last years recruiting class. Eltoro is part of this years recruiting class. He will not arrive in Auburn until some time next year.

My mistake...but damn, I have to wait still another year to see "The Bull" run wild in Jordan-Hare? :(

Guess it's good that Saban oversigned, funny how he was critized less than a month ago for something that happens with every program. Players leave, don't qualify, or never make it on campus for whatever reason (in our case to pursue MLB). It happens everywhere, EVEN AUBURN, and there's is no reason why he can't prepare for that.

Guess it's good that Saban oversigned, funny how he was critized less than a month ago for something that happens with every program. Players leave, don't qualify, or never make it on campus for whatever reason (in our case to pursue MLB). It happens everywhere, EVEN AUBURN, and there's is no reason why he can't prepare for that.

And some who didn't play much last season and don't show a lot of future potential are pressured to leave to make room for the incoming hotshots.

And some who didn't play much last season and don't show a lot of future potential are pressured to leave to make room for the incoming hotshots.

Was Tubby not accused of the very same thing when he arrived on the plain?

Accused and doing it are two different things. Saban was pretty open about when he first arrived.

Accused and doing it are two different things. Saban was pretty open about when he first arrived.

If CN$ got rid of some players b/c they didn't work hard or follow the rules..well...that's what he was brought in to do. My problem is the double standard he exhibited by letting attitude cases lke DJ Hall and his cronies stay on the team. Notice that the better the player, the more chances the guy got. IMO, the LaMo loss resulted b/c CN$ did not have control of the team.

Archived