2013 3* TE Arshad Jackson (Ole Miss signee)

ShocksMyBrain

I cant help but wonder if the Petrino devotees will EVER let it go? I can see it now...after every Auburn loss in the future, somebody is going to have an in depth analysis of why had BP been the coach Auburn would've won that game! LOL ...will this topic ever be put to bed once and for all?

Just as soon as CGM beats arky/lsu/uag/uat - wins the SEC - and brings home an NC or 2. That should push them into the corner for good.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant help but wonder if the Petrino devotees will EVER let it go? I can see it now...after every Auburn loss in the future, somebody is going to have an in depth analysis of why had BP been the coach Auburn would've won that game! LOL ...will this topic ever be put to bed once and for all?

Just as soon as CGM beats arky/lsu/uag/uat - wins the SEC - and brings home an NC or 2. That should push them into the corner for good.

How many of those did BP win at Arkansas again? Yeah, I 'spect you're right..the Petrino devotees will hold Malzahn to a standard that not even Petrino himself could attain in their criticisms of Malzahns job peformances.

I'll fully admit, I would have been fine with Petrino had he been chosen. The only reason that I so greatly prefer Malzahn is the things I've heard about other skeletons in Petrino's closet, things that were bound to come out had he been hired at Auburn (and will likely come out if he ever gets another big time coaching job anywhere).

However, PJM is not wrong about Petrino's penchant for being an incredible football coach or his ability to discipline players very, very well. Because of the things he'd done in his personal life, I think it very easily could have been a major detriment for Auburn to hire him (even if he has made a legitimate change in his life), but it could also have been a home run of mass proportions on the football field.

I dont think anyone ever questioned his acumen as a football coach but the job entails so much more than Xs and Os and football. I dont know if you paid any attention to the introduction of CGM but Pat Sullivan said a number of times that they wanted someone who would be an excellent ambassador for Auburn University and Auburn Athletics. Frankly, if anyone honestly believes that Bobby Petrino is a better fit for Auburn than Gus Malzahn, understanding the selection criteria exceeded being a good coach, then theres nothing anyone can do to help them out.

I'd like to point out that in the second sentence of the post you quoted, I explicitly said that I greatly prefer Malzahn to Petrino. And in case you haven't been paying attention to my other posts, which you obviously haven't, I've been an outspoken advocate of Gus for quite some time. I even went through and made a detailed case for why he would be a great choice back when most people on this board were saying that if we hire him, it's because we settled, or whatever. So don't patronize me about how much better Malzahn is for Auburn than Petrino. I was simply offering the other side of the argument. I'm sorry that you so adamantly refuse to acknowledge that there IS another side to the argument, but that's your problem, not mine.

Thanks Red. I know I fall in a certain segment of Auburn fans that are too common around here and it makes me want to bash my head against the wall when people don't understand the validity of my arguments. I understand why people didn't want Petrino and their supporting reasons, just don't see why people don't understand my side sometimes. It's the people who try and downplay Bobby Petrino's accomplishments on the gridiron or claim he isn't a top tier football coach that gets me. If you don't want him because of what he has done off the field, fair and very very valid argument. If you try and argue that Petrino is not a top flight coach in terms of production, it makes you look ignorant.

In response to what would be a good fit for Auburn and the selection criteria, I respect the criteria the committee had but I wouldn't have had the same criteria. I also wasn't on the search committee so my thoughts on that matter don't carry any weight.

At this point, I am ready to root for Auburn and hope we do well. My earlier comments about being a Petrino supporter was only to qualify my "sugar coating" as nothing more than a rational examination of the facts. I wasn't trying to get the Petrino discussion going

I'll fully admit, I would have been fine with Petrino had he been chosen. The only reason that I so greatly prefer Malzahn is the things I've heard about other skeletons in Petrino's closet, things that were bound to come out had he been hired at Auburn (and will likely come out if he ever gets another big time coaching job anywhere).

However, PJM is not wrong about Petrino's penchant for being an incredible football coach or his ability to discipline players very, very well. Because of the things he'd done in his personal life, I think it very easily could have been a major detriment for Auburn to hire him (even if he has made a legitimate change in his life), but it could also have been a home run of mass proportions on the football field.

I dont think anyone ever questioned his acumen as a football coach but the job entails so much more than Xs and Os and football. I dont know if you paid any attention to the introduction of CGM but Pat Sullivan said a number of times that they wanted someone who would be an excellent ambassador for Auburn University and Auburn Athletics. Frankly, if anyone honestly believes that Bobby Petrino is a better fit for Auburn than Gus Malzahn, understanding the selection criteria exceeded being a good coach, then theres nothing anyone can do to help them out.

I'd like to point out that in the second sentence of the post you quoted, I explicitly said that I greatly prefer Malzahn to Petrino. And in case you haven't been paying attention to my other posts, which you obviously haven't, I've been an outspoken advocate of Gus for quite some time. I even went through and made a detailed case for why he would be a great choice back when most people on this board were saying that if we hire him, it's because we settled, or whatever. So don't patronize me about how much better Malzahn is for Auburn than Petrino. I was simply offering the other side of the argument. I'm sorry that you so adamantly refuse to acknowledge that there IS another side to the argument, but that's your problem, not mine.

LOL.. Lighten up Francis. My remarks were more in response to the other guy who cannot let go of the fact that Petrino was better, in is opinion, because he's such a genius of a football coach. Patronize you? get over yourself, I have neither the remotest intent nor even a passing inclination to waste my time with that!

• 6 months later...

Academically ineligible at Ole Miss

wow hate it for the young man but that's good confirmation that players can be academically ineligible at schools other than AU.

wow hate it for the young man but that's good confirmation that players can be academically ineligible at schools other than AU.

Not at the school in west vance. Funny how a kid can be an a&b student at bama and go to Virginia and flunk out. :dunno:

Not at the school in west vance. Funny how a kid can be an a&b student at bama and go to Virginia and flunk out. :dunno:

FWIW Cook and Paige are really struggling to qualify.

Not at the school in west vance. Funny how a kid can be an a&b student at bama and go to Virginia and flunk out. :dunno:/>

did ole Ruebs qualify? All I heard about before be committed was he won't be playing D1 football next year. I'm sure he's part of the honor society for the tahd. But still catching some zzzz's I'm sure lol

Was not Auburn man material in the end and he probably knew it after he lost his wide reciever coach lol

Sad because many kids would almost slap their momma's for his physical measurable. Ole Miss fans are in for a rude awakening when they realize that one top-heavy recruiting class does not a champion make. One reason I hate when folks allude to Cam winning the Natty by himself. It simply isn't possible.

Sad because many kids would almost slap their momma's for his physical measurable. Ole Miss fans are in for a rude awakening when they realize that one top-heavy recruiting class does not a champion make. One reason I hate when folks allude to Cam winning the Natty by himself. It simply isn't possible.

Agree

Welp, glad we didn't land this guy for 2013...he's not eligible, d'oh!

The Ole Miss Rebels had the best recruiting class in school history with a number of top recruits and five-star signees. Unfortunately for the Rebels, one of the recruits that had the opportunity to make an immediate impact ran in to a bit of a roadblock. Tight end A.J. Jackson, who was rated as the No. 18 tight end in the nation according to 247Sports.com, has been ruled academically ineligible and was unable to enroll in the school.

There is no news on what will be next for Jackson, but the belief is that he will go the junior college path.

Without Jackson on the field competing for a spot in the rotation, Jack Nuismer will be slotted as the team’s starter. This is the same Jack Nuismer that was a walk-on before the 2012 season when he finally received a scholarship. He has zero career catches.

Jackson may eventually return to Ole Miss if he can get his academics in order, but he has truly missed an opportunity to come in and be a part of a special recruiting class from day one.

http://fansided.com/2013/06/25/ole-miss-te-signee-academically-ineligible-to-enroll-at-school/

i hate this for him. hopefully he gets things turned around and gets back on the field somwhere soon.

Archived