2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the last little bit of the McGill-Davidson game on WJTC 44. All I can say is WOW! Great game winning drive by Jason Smith. Showed great athletic ability, clock management, accuracy, and decision making ability. I know most say he won't end up at QB but this kid is going to be a "gamer" somewhere on the field. Great athlete that plays smart football and excels when the pressure is on.

I watched smith play tonight for the first time this season at Daphne(yeldons alma mater). He's gonna be a good asset to our offense possibly WR. I don't really see him being an SEC qb. although he had 2 passing Tds and about 200plus all purpose yards against one of the toughest team he's faced yet.

Chizik was in attendance as well.

Guys, we appear to be hanging our hats on either JJ or Jason Smith becoming a quality SEC caliber QB very quickly in their college careers. The QB situation at AU is dire. We need immediate help. Everyone needs to understand how important the '13 QBs recruits are going to be.

Did Smith play this past Friday? If so, how did he do?

We need to focus on what's important. Do we need to open up the '13 QB recruiting again based upon what we know about AU's current QBs? Certainly, we can sell immediate playing time. It doesn't matter how good our DL or LB recruits are....if we do not have a quarterback who can lead this team, then we are all destined for a lot of negative emotion until we do have a QB who can play the game at this level.

Agree with your point in that we need a recruit good enough to start that is in competition for the job next year. We need competition at the QB spot from a talent perspective similar to what we at Auburn normally have at RB. If Frazier does not turn the corner we have another rebuilding year on O which means not in the mix for the SECC and beyond. This is why I am not against a stud JC QB recruit if one is available. Sure, this means we might have them for only 1 to 2 years keeping the QB revolving door going, but we simply can't have another deer in the headlights mediocre to bad season next year.

As OL play gets better so will the play at QB & RB. Where would Frazier be if behind bama’s or LSU’s OL ? bama could still be undefeated because of their D and ability to pound the rock. LSU would have one loss and that would have been us last week. I am not knocking the OL, just suggesting as the line gets experience and nasty we will pound the rock better and take more pressure off Frazier and/or Wallace. I am obviously expecting the QB play to get better. I am excited about Robinson, Miller, Young and some of the other new OL guys but disappointed we are a work in progress for the second year in a row. The 2013 OL is going to likely determine our season next year if QB is still in question. Nobody has consistently shown they can replace Blake, Lutz or Omac so far which means even MORE pressure on the QB next year. Mason needs more running lanes and also needs some 5* help. Mike Blakely ? Don’t know the issue for certain, but his reliability (attitude ? consistency ? fumbles ? maturity ?) is in question by the staff so he is not a safe bet (at this point) for help in 2013. Grant ? If he does not get to carry the rock with Blakely in the doghouse it seems to look like we thought long ago : special teams player. We probably need an NFL like OL performance in 2013 to get back on track.

War Eagle !

Do you think chizik is worried about the qb position? Being that he was at Jason's game friday night? with so many other places he could've been on an off week...

Do you think chizik is worried about the qb position? Being that he was at Jason's game friday night? with so many other places he could've been on an off week...

No. He probably had not seen Jason in a while and plus McGill-Daphne is always a good game to go see.

Yea I can see that.

Hey E I saw your fellow Prattville Lion Whitlow didn't do too bad for Kentucky

Yeah. His first half play got me stoked. In the right situation he can do well at QB or WR.

it gave me the impression that chizik really values having this playmaker at auburn whether it is at QB or not

• 2 months later...

Anybody got any information on Jason at the AL-MS game this weekend, i.e. his position switch? Saw something from one of the national guys at 247 that was impressed with his route running. Anybody?

I think this kid will be electrifying whatever position he plays. He has great field awareness, quickness and makes good decisions with the ball.

Jason moved up 40 spots in 247 rankings.

Link

Jason Smith, ATH, Mobile (Ala.) McGill-Toolen

The Move – From 219 to 179

The Auburn commitment proved to be a smooth and sure handed slot receiver in Montgomery. While the 6-foot-1, 175-pounder will need to add strength and muscle mass to his frame, he is blessed with quickness, body control, the ability to sink his hips and impressive ball skills. One of several talented receivers on the Alabama team working against some big time defensive backs on the same team, Smith was the best route runner and toughest cover this week.

I am excited about this guy, not only because he has the potential to be a great reciever, but and I know im gonna get ugly looks when I say it, can you imagen him at QB in the wildcat?

Can't wait to see him throw a pass on a WR reverse.I would like to have seen him play some QB to see how good he is there.

I am excited about this guy, not only because he has the potential to be a great reciever, but and I know im gonna get ugly looks when I say it, can you imagen him at QB in the wildcat?

I would like for us to put in just a few plays with a package with Wallace/Frazier at QB and Smith at rb and run the double wildcat similar to what ULM (i think that it was) ran some this year. Too gimicky for any real consistency but could really get the ball moving for some first downs to get the HUNH cranked up to 11. Imagine two run/pass options in the back field with speed. Just a thought....

I would like for us to put in just a few plays with a package with Wallace/Frazier at QB and Smith at rb and run the double wildcat similar to what ULM (i think that it was) ran some this year. Too gimicky for any real consistency but could really get the ball moving for some first downs to get the HUNH cranked up to 11. Imagine two run/pass options in the back field with speed. Just a thought....

I have had 2 95+ yard touchdowns on my playstation with that formation! :moon:

Can't wait to see him throw a pass on a WR reverse.I would like to have seen him play some QB to see how good he is there.

Archived