2016 5* LB Ben Davis (Bama signee)

RunInRed

because they will Kouandjio him if they have to.

What do you mean by that? Serious question, I just always figured he changed his mind for family.

Not sure. His parents forced him to go to Bama to play with his bro. Parents have to sign NLIs too.

Yep. He wanted to play at AU. uat threatened to pull his brother scholly. His parents had no choice.

I have a hard time believing this. There's no way in a hundred years they would have pulled Arie's scholarship. I mean, that's extortion we're talking about. That's a pretty serious accusation.

His parents forcing the issue I believe, but I don't believe for a second that Arie's scholarship was ever threatened.

My. 02

I was told this directly by a former AU coach. Extortion? Scholly's are only year to year. Damn straight uat would have pulled his brothers. They pull kids scholly's every year if the player does not preform. Medical hardships is the "reason". uat will do anything to win. ANYTHING. Never forget this.

If they told Cyrus that they would pull Arie's scholarship if he didn't sign, then that would, in my very limited view of the law, constitute extortion.

And I hope this doesn't sound like anything personal against you or anyone here who believes this, its not, I promise.

Negative ghost rider. Under Alabama Code 13A-8-13 extortion is defined as knowingly obtaining by threat control of the property of another, with the intent to deprive him of that property.

Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that it applied to property or services. I stand corrected.

If not extortion, coercion.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean by that? Serious question, I just always figured he changed his mind for family.

Not sure. His parents forced him to go to Bama to play with his bro. Parents have to sign NLIs too.

Yep. He wanted to play at AU. uat threatened to pull his brother scholly. His parents had no choice.

I have a hard time believing this. There's no way in a hundred years they would have pulled Arie's scholarship. I mean, that's extortion we're talking about. That's a pretty serious accusation.

His parents forcing the issue I believe, but I don't believe for a second that Arie's scholarship was ever threatened.

My. 02

I was told this directly by a former AU coach. Extortion? Scholly's are only year to year. Damn straight uat would have pulled his brothers. They pull kids scholly's every year if the player does not preform. Medical hardships is the "reason". uat will do anything to win. ANYTHING. Never forget this.

If they told Cyrus that they would pull Arie's scholarship if he didn't sign, then that would, in my very limited view of the law, constitute extortion.

And I hope this doesn't sound like anything personal against you or anyone here who believes this, its not, I promise.

Negative ghost rider. Under Alabama Code 13A-8-13 extortion is defined as knowingly obtaining by threat control of the property of another, with the intent to deprive him of that property.

So, it's not extortion under the legal definition; but it's certainly a sort of unethical coercion.

I believe WDE when he says a coach told him the story. Maybe the story came straight from Cyrus, as an explanation for why he signed with Bama. Maybe it's true, and maybe it's a white lie. It seemed pretty clear at the time that Cyrus wanted to play for Auburn and something happened to make him change his mind.

Back to Davis, I'm really happy to hear that he sounds like such a good kid. Wish he'd sign with us, rather than Bama.

Thanks. I'll let it rest, because I also believe WDE, I was just throwing in my .02. By all means, back to Davis.

My. 02

Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that it applied to property or services. I stand corrected.

If not extortion, coercion.

clearly dirty pool. If this could ever be proven, I am pretty sure state employees have high ethical obligations and so charges might be possible there, but this is really much to do about nothing since that will never happen....back to Davis.

My. 02

So, it's not extortion under the legal definition; but it's certainly a sort of unethical coercion.

I believe WDE when he says a coach told him the story. Maybe the story came straight from Cyrus, as an explanation for why he signed with Bama. Maybe it's true, and maybe it's a white lie. It seemed pretty clear at the time that Cyrus wanted to play for Auburn and something happened to make him change his mind.

Back to Davis, I'm really happy to hear that he sounds like such a good kid. Wish he'd sign with us, rather than Bama.

Thanks. I'll let it rest, because I also believe WDE, I was just throwing in my .02. By all means, back to Davis.

We good Barnacle.

Remember "The Process"? That's what Saban calls getting rid of any players he deems unnecessary. Don't believe for even one second that bammer/Saban wouldn't find a way to make it fit the letter of the law, even while breaking the intent thereof. I remember rumors circulating before Arie even signed that he was only being recruited so heavily because of his little brother, and as many player of top caliber as Saban signs, it's pretty obvious he's just plugging in players rated highly by recruiting services until one works out.

(On that last note, remember from The Blind Side, where it mocks Saban for trying to get Tom Lemmings' recruiting ratings a day earlier than everyone else?)

And also don't think for one second that, even if he couldn't pull it off, he wouldn't put the fear of God in them that he can just so that he gets his way. Not to mention that even if he couldn't, he didn't have to make Arie's time there anything other than miserable if he didn't want to...

Remember "The Process"? That's what Saban calls getting rid of any players he deems unnecessary. Don't believe for even one second that bammer/Saban wouldn't find a way to make it fit the letter of the law, even while breaking the intent thereof. I remember rumors circulating before Arie even signed that he was only being recruited so heavily because of his little brother, and as many player of top caliber as Saban signs, it's pretty obvious he's just plugging in players rated highly by recruiting services until one works out.

(On that last note, remember from The Blind Side, where it mocks Saban for trying to get Tom Lemmings' recruiting ratings a day earlier than everyone else?)

And also don't think for one second that, even if he couldn't pull it off, he wouldn't put the fear of God in them that he can just so that he gets his way. Not to mention that even if he couldn't, he didn't have to make Arie's time there anything other than miserable if he didn't want to...

Reason uat has 4X as m any medical redshirts as the rest of the SEC combined.

Davis is obviously very talented. All of this should lead us to tell him "We'd love to have you but understand your circumstances so we aren't going to spend a lot of time recruiting you. Good luck to you." Can't do that with many but a Bammer legacy? No shame in admitting that on some you have no chance....

This has come up before, regarding supposed threats made during recruiting ... If those stories are true, how can a responsible parent allow their CHILD - yes these big strong football players are still children as seniors in high school- be subjected to and overseen by the school that has had someone successfully threaten them.

I'm sorry but I would yank my older kid out of that schoo and send both of them to their rival. I would then make sure I did a couple interviews to air the story.

It is either weak parenting or a BS story. Which do you think? Ill answer my own question - it is probably in some grey area in between.

My. 02

I may not be a lawyer, but I do know that the law is open to interpretation, as well as precedent. Again, not a lawyer, but I bet someone who is could make the case it was extortion. Then again, that doesn't mean the courts would agree, so who knows. I'll end this the way everyone else has while being just as effective: back to Davis lol

My. 02

There was SOME reason why Cyrus wasn't allowed to sign with Auburn, which is what he wanted to do. Anyone that thinks UAT won't use unethical methods to win games hasn't been watching very closely. WDE's info is spot-on in character for the bammers.

There was SOME reason why Cyrus wasn't allowed to sign with Auburn, which is what he wanted to do. Anyone that thinks UAT won't use unethical methods to win games hasn't been watching very closely. WDE's info is spot-on in character for the bammers.

I wish I'd just said "unethical" instead of Koundjio

Haha, I don't know...

Whether it's Alabama's recruiting practices, Auburn's best all timers, or who can use the biggest words no one has ever heard of, off season banter is all of our guilty pleasure.

Edit: Grammar natzis, should that have been "our's guilty pleasure"?

Edit 2: nazis

Edit 3: discuss

Haha, I don't know...

Whether it's Alabama's recruiting practices, Auburn's best all timers, or who can use the biggest words no one has ever heard of, off season banter is all of our guilty pleasure.

*like*

This has come up before, regarding supposed threats made during recruiting ... If those stories are true, how can a responsible parent allow their CHILD - yes these big strong football players are still children as seniors in high school- be subjected to and overseen by the school that has had someone successfully threaten them.

I'm sorry but I would yank my older kid out of that schoo and send both of them to their rival. I would then make sure I did a couple interviews to air the story.

It is either weak parenting or a BS story. Which do you think? Ill answer my own question - it is probably in some grey area in between.

That would be my reaction as well. Make threats like that to me or mine and both kids would be enrolled in Auburn so fast that shorty wouldn't know what hit him.

That would be my reaction as well. Make threats like that to me or mine and both kids would be enrolled in Auburn so fast that shorty wouldn't know what hit him.

If he threatened my kid, he might remember exactly what hit him.

If he threatened my kid, he might remember exactly what hit him.

Yep, that would be next. Taking the kids away would only be the beginning of shorty's problems.

Haha, I don't know...

Shouldn't ever be 'our's' -- it's our guilty pleasure.

LOL at 'natzis'. For some reason made me think of Brad Pitt and pitza.

I seem to remember from that timeframe a 3-4 day lag between the signing day announcement and when Cyrus signed with Bama in which time Arie boarded a plane and went to VA to talk some "sense" into him (I'm sure at wee-man's direction). That was the story I recall. Regardless, Davis isn't going anywhere but Bama. They don't allow for freedom of choice when it comes to legacy blue-chippers.

I seem to remember from that timeframe a 3-4 day lag between the signing day announcement and when Cyrus signed with Bama in which time Arie boarded a plane and went to VA to talk some "sense" into him (I'm sure at wee-man's direction). That was the story I recall. Regardless, Davis isn't going anywhere but Bama. They don't allow for freedom of choice when it comes to legacy blue-chippers.

I've often wondered who paid for that airline ticket? I bet it wasn't cheap.

$$$$ is no object when it comes to playing at Bama.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben is headed to Auburn today, right?

Edit: He is headed to Auburn according to Twitter. The recruiting thread is so slow.

He brought family on this trip. His dad, who played football at Bama came. He said he wanted them to see what AU was like.

Archived