2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

On 7/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, PotPot said:

I may be thinking too much also but I think the coach may be thinking about what is best for all of his players and not just one. If the other QB was not playing QB then the other QB would not be playing at all and would not have the scholarship offers that he has. The best thing for AU would be for Joey to be getting all the QB reps but Joey's coach don't work for AU he works for Bartram and his priority is, and should be, all of his kids at Bartram. Also, most HS coaches default to playing their best athlete at QB. This coach has the luxury of playing his best athlete everywhere because he has another guy who happens to be a legit D-1 QB himself.

Exactly. That's the impression I've been given. The coach may be fully aware of the raw QB talent JG has; but is making his decision based on what's best for his team overall. No matter what position JG ends up playing at Auburn; he will shine. WDE

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of people on this board, myself included, keep talking up whether or not we get JF in 18 and Bo in 19. 

We shouldn't forget about JG. From what I have read he is far from a finished product at QB but he does possess all the ability in the world. And most importantly, he has stayed committed to AU for quite a long time. I hope we get both JF and Bo but as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Edited by milehighfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I know a lot of people on this board, myself included, keep talking up whether or not we get JF in 18 and Bo in 19. 

We shouldn't forget about JG. From what I have read he isaid far from a finished product at QB but he does possess all the ability in the world. And most importantly, he has stayed committed to AU for quite a long time. I hope we get both JF and Bo but as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Not if that bird's name is Jeremy Johnson. Never settle, never stay content. Promote competition. 

• Like 4

Maybe if Stidham comes back, a little bit of him will rub off onto Gatewood. It would be awesome to have Stidham tutor Gatewood for a year before going Pro.

Edited by Timeslider 6
  • Thanks 1

Gus and Rhett obviously are to blame for naming JJ the starting. QB and not know he was not anywhere near ready to be the starting QB.

With CCL as OC I don't think you will see that mistake being made again...at least I hope not. 

• Like 1

I just watched some of his highlights and if they feel he won't be able to cut it at. QB he looked like he would make a darn good RB :wareagle:

Edited by milehighfan

15 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I just watched some of his highlights and if they feel he won't be able to cut it at. QB he looked like he would make a darn good RB :wareagle:

He would be a huge RB. TE may be an option. 

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

He would be a huge RB. TE may be an option. 

The "Brandon Jacobs says hello" squad says hello

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Has Joeys team played any scrimmage games?  I'm ready to see some highlights and what development he's made over the summer.  I know some of the experts were surprised at how well he was throwing at some of the smaller camps.  

• Like 1

Whoa....and he threw across his body, without feet planted.  The receiver was actually open.    I liked that he did not just run for the corner and truck the smaller defender.  He danced and bought time so he could find a receiver.  Nice.   Very nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Don't do it to em Joey!!!!!

That looked very promising...you can't teach that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

That receiver made a great catch!!

And the ball was placed where only he could catch it as well...great throw.

Y'all don't forget to check him out against Carterville's Trevor Lawrence Saturday on espn2 at 7:30pm CT.

Edited by WFE12
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

kinda looked like a very dangerous throw.

It was. If the receiver who caught it would've kept crossing, it would be opened the deep cross wide open for a much safer throw.

2 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

That's the kind of thing that more playing time is going to help him get over.

3 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

Maybe, but a throw only a small percentage of high school QBs are athletic enough to make.  JG has mad skills,:hellyeah:

• Like 3