Byron Cowart

au_bsci_04

One thing that is odd:  He said a reason for leaving the program is to be closer with his mom, and then turns right around and says he is open to playing at a school "far from home."  Those two cancel each other out it seems. To me, it really comes down to no playing time. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FoundationEagle said:

How?  Play him instead of better players so he doesn't leave?  And people are calling for Gus's head now...just imagine if that was his philosophy.  Unless you're saying there is some other way to "fix that" (and I see zero ways possible) then I whole heartedly disagree. 

You read me wrong. The responsibility fell upon HIM to do something about it.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

I simply took exception to the cowardous reference.  I don't think it applies here.

cow·ard
ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Just now, abw0004 said:

One thing that is odd:  He said a reason for leaving the program is to be closer with his mom, and then turns right around and says he is open to playing at a school "far from home."  Those two cancel each other out it seems. To me, it really comes down to no playing time. 

I think it probably comes down to how his mom is doing at the point when he makes a decision, and whether it's a legit opportunity on a bigger stage that gives him a better shot at the NFL.  I don't see an inherent contradiction.  More like an "it depends" kind of answer.

3 hours ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

I don't agree.  I think Malzahn is a cancer to the program and his influence is being felt now even on Cowart.  

This is horse***t.  There are myriad valid reasons to criticize Gus.  This isn't one of them.  Cowart couldn't crack the starting lineup.  Period.  He came in with huge expectations based on his rating out of HS and he hasn't lived up to it so he isn't getting snaps.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:
cow·ard
ˈkou(ə)rd/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

I wouldn't say coward is the word. Cry baby, entitled brat maybe. He wasn't better than most of our backups and that's not saying he isn't good. They're just better than he is. It's that simple 

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Some of these haters here won't handle that very well!

Even some of us pumpers would take a brief, excused absence from sanity.

Only child, mom sick, not playing as much as he wants to, etc....    I get it.  Good luck to the young man.  I hope his mom is ok, he finds a place to play a lot, and makes it to the league.  If not, I hope he will get a degree and make a great life for himself and his family.  

What's funny here is the clear mentality of "Auburn fans". People here cry about how sad it is when we can't even keep a 5* and it's the coaches fault, but if the roles were reversed and he left bama because of PT it would be because bama is so great that even 5* players ride the bench and quit due to PT. Funny how the stories around here spin. 

41 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I do not believe this is the whole story. Gus displaying some real class here. Shocked. 

Shocked at the story or shocked at Gus's class?

Gus has never been anything but a professional outwardly.

This says a lot about Auburn's depth on the defensive front.  The smart thing for a good defensive lineman (who wants to get in the league) is to get in a program like Auburn's where the DL gets a lot of rotation, less wear and tear on the body,  good coaching on technique, SEC competition, etc.  

Wish him well. Sometimes we seem to get too hung up on number of stars that commits come in with.  This isn't the first time a five star has been a bust at Auburn.

20 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Whelp it just didnt feel like a football season unless we lost a 5* guy.     

But it's usually February when we lose one. :angry:

27 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Whelp it just didnt feel like a football season unless we lost a 5* guy.     

We may have signed a 5-star guy back in 2015, but the guy who left was not 5-star.

50 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I do not believe this is the whole story. Gus displaying some real class here. Shocked. 

One thing that I do like about Gus is that he keeps player discipline issues private and kept internal within the team.  I think that is a very good trait for a HC and I would think players appreciate that.  He didn't trash SW tot he media and he is certainly tight lipped and respectful to BC.  I hate it for BC but I get the sense that he didn't like AU for whatever reason and had quit mentally as well as physically.

This isn't Gus Malzahn's fault, and it's not RG's either. We have one of the best D-Lines in the country, and RG has a proven successful track record of developing his D-Line squad (first round selections, pro bowls, super bowls, etc). 

I will say it until I go blue in the face: His decision to leave has nothing to do with the coaching staff. So many fans are unaware (not referring to ones here but just in general) that his mom's health isn't well right now and he wants to be closer to her during this. He says that it's the main reason, in addition to not getting enough play time.

Prayers up for him and his family. I can't imagine the stress he must be going through as an only child.

While it is no secret he came for Muschamp, I respect his decision to be closer to mom and to finish the semester.  Again, I believe once he is released from the football team, the clock starts for his one year sit-out before playing again.  So he can re-join a team in the 3rd or 4th game of the season next year unless he gets a medical transfer waiver to be near his ailing mother.  I am just speculating on what I think I know :)

Best of luck to you BC and may your Mom make a full recovery.

Not a good time for this. Seems a man would finish what he started. Unless their really is a need in his family. My family would have insisted I finish what I started. That's a fact. War eagle good luck 

Archived