Report: Malzhan staying

Auctoritas

This was done quickly for 2 reasons that are actually the same thing. Reason number 1 is recruiting. Auburn may sign their best class ever if the new coaches at Florida and Florida State do not change some minds quickly. Reason number 2. Recruiting at Arkansas has become almost impossible with the emergence of all the Texas schools that are keeping the instate talent at home. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Yeah, 2 years in the top 7 is as average as it gets. And who is not beating Saban and #1 teams these days? And every team in the SEC has been to Atlanta 2 of the last 5 years and has a national title appearance. What are we thinking? WDE???!!!

I agree 100%! He does and will at times frustrate the blue blazes out of all of us AU fans (me anyway), as most coaches do. Of course, we, as AU Fans or College Football Fans in general, want to compare his results to little Nicky. Guys, there is no comparison. I despise the man (little Nicky) as much as any Auburn Fan could, but he along with two or three other college coaches are head and shoulders above all the rest. The Auburn team and coaches managed to prepare and rise to the occasion to beat 2-#1 teams this year. I for one felt genuine anger knowing we had to beat Georgia twice and Bama once in a span of 3 weeks to get into the National Championship Playoffs. NO ONE Else in the country, with the possible exception of Clemson could have done it successfully. I am glad he is staying obviously. WDE!!

25 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Can't really argue with any of this. Not too keen on the raise,  but that's neither here nor there. Gus got his "love", now let's go out and finish the season on a high note and start the next one strong as well. 

Agreed. I fell off the bus after LSU, but a top 10 finish you have to be happy with. Plus, I live in Knoxville and learned a lot about the current candidates. Not a good pool.  WDE!

58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The first 2 years of Gus' tenure was an anomaly. Instant success with another staff's players.  The last 3 he has gone 6-6, 8-4, 10-3. He has built a strong foundation for the program. He has instilled discipline and accountability. The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues.  It was time to marry or divorce Gus and AU decided to marry him.  As fans, it's time to embrace him and support him and know he wants what's best for AU as much as we do.

Amen!!

47 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Money will never be an issue for Auburn. We have the monsy

Right you are Golf!  I missed a hole in one by a foot today on a 175 yard par 3 hole. I have a Ping G2 15.5 degree driver that had cut down to the length of a 7 wood. This club is nothing short of a weapon for me! I can hit it up to 250 yards when I crunch it.

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Damn. Alabama is really looking forward to next years iron bowl. Who could blame them.

Who are you going to be pulling for for the next 5 years?

QYBS or go pull for someone else. Jesus, this fan base is a joke. 

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Damn. Alabama is really looking forward to next years iron bowl. Who could blame them.

They were looking forward to it this year too

Glad this is happening. Hard to win championships when you are changing coaches every few years. CGM is has done a decent job, some years better than others obviously. He has won almost 3/4 of his games at Auburn with no .500/losing seasons.  Two SEC CG and one Narional CG appearances in his 5 year tenure on the Plains. Most colleges would not let a coach like that go, especially given how hard it seems to find a good coach these days.

I, for one, would like to see more loyalty out of coaches these days, but I also understand that is asking much from a coach when it seems likw more fanbases, including ours are more disloyal to their coaches than ever. The first sign of struggling, we want to run the coach out of town instead of just letting him, and the team, work through the adversity. 

College football is more diverse than ever. Let’s face it, the WHOLE country tries to emulate Alabama’s success under Saban while also trying to out recruit him. A hard thing to do against a guy like Saban. Our coaching staff has to double-down on that because they are our in-state rivals. Yet, CGM has has found success against Saban in his time at Auburn, so I say we support him as he continues to build on that success. 

This decision had more to do with keeping Steele as the defensive coordinator rather than thinking Gus Malzahn will lead them anywhere special down the line. Maybe lightning will strike twice and there will be a repeat of 2013 but I'm guessing more mediocrity and underachieving will be the norm that is until Auburn's boosters have enough and the Tigers end up paying another coach not to coach.

Yeah, cue the one trick pony responses... your avatar is very fitting! What's up Eeyore! Yada, yada, yada...

Just now, Ranger12 said:

Glad this is happening. Hard to win championships when you are changing coaches every few years. 

Then, Get it right the first time.

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. I fell off the bus after LSU, but a top 10 finish you have to be happy with. Plus, I live in Knoxville and learned a lot about the current candidates. Not a good pool.  WDE!

true that! Gus is a borderline Good/Very Good coach. He's was still finishing learning how to be HC his first couple years here. He has the potential to be a great coach if he can keep doing what he did this year. None of the coaches available are that, in my eyes. Only coach out there I'd want is Pelini and he's just a good coach.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Its done! Support the coach and the team now. Expectations are still as high as ever and that won't be changing anytime soon.

Pretty much this. I hope they didn't pay him 7 mil with a big buyout but it seems close to that. If he continues to Gus that could hurt badly in 2-3 years.  Then again, what's it matter?  The fix is clearly in for college football. Corruption has reached a tipping point. Until this system is changed, there is no more truth in college football.  I've officially lost interest.  I'm not a fan of WWE and that is what college football just became. 

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Yeah for real. There was only one team to beat them in the regular season. That team’s coach and a bunch of starters will be back. Yeah, what’s not to look forward to. #youbigdummy

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

This decision had more to do with keeping Steele as the defensive coordinator rather than thinking Gus Malzahn will lead them anywhere special down the line. Maybe lightning will strike twice and there will be a repeat of 2013 but I'm guessing more mediocrity and underachieving will be the norm that is until Auburn's boosters have enough and the Tigers end up paying another coach not to coach.

Yeah, cue the one trick pony responses... your avatar is very fitting! What's up Eeyore! Yada, yada, yada...

Who would you prefer to have coaching Auburn next season?

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

What's up Eeyore!

I’m sure that gets old, 

-Branch

19 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

The recruiting is only getting better. We are not to the level where we are reloading yet, but we are getting close. The stability and continuity of coaches has been huge the past two years and will pay higher dividends as it continues. 

I hope so. We need some RB's, DB's and OL in a big way next cycle.  The addition of Asa Martin and Gatewood will be a blessing. 

I am still confounded by Malzahn's lack of using Martin, Miller and Barrett during the season, and the total absence of McClain and relative scarcity of NCM in the passing game. 

Also, gotta address that kick coverage issue in the off season.  Worst I've ever seen at Auburn.

7 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Then, Get it right the first time.

Just like bama did...

Dubose

Franchione

Price

Shula

Kines...

2 minutes ago, Tigerpaul53 said:

I was for keeping Gus, but how do we feel if for instance, Chip Lindsey was to get a head coaching job at a smaller school and we are back to square one 

We hire Hugh Freeze as OC. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Just like bama did...

Dubose

Franchione

Price

Shula

Kines

Why do you use facts to suppport your argument?

Archived