Is Gus coaching for his job against A&M?

AUght2win

4 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I get tired of people saying the offensive line is not executing. When the coaches run the most predictable offense with glaring tells based on trends and formations the players don't have a chance to execute because the other team knows what happening before the ball is snapped.  

Um, no.  It doesn't matter if the D knows or not. When the center gets knocked on his butt, the RG doesn't touch the man he is covered by, when the guards pull and run into the tackles, when the OT and OG can't pick up a twist, when the C and G can't double a nose, when the OT can't get depth on his set up, when all of that happens, it's on the players not the scheme.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DAG said:

I think it's best for Gus to start thinking that he is coaching for his job every game. Maybe that would light a fire under him.

It's so infuriating that this hasn't been the case all season long. 

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

More than likely we bring in a new OC, one with some new ideas of how to use the talent.

We already tried that.

Please go back and watch highlights of Lindsey's offenses at prior jobs. Your comment lets me know that you haven't, and that you're assuming that what we see every Saturday is a Chip Lindsey offense. It's not.

As long as Gus is here, our offensive coordinator will not meaningfully affect the identity of the offense. 

I don't see us beating atm. I think they will outscore us (not by much), but they will. I believe of the three games remaining, the gettable game for us is UGA. Their strength is running, so it will be our strength (stopping the run) against theirs. I believe atm and bama will beat us passing the ball.

I would tend to say yes, the TAMU game is very important to Gus's future, but who really knows. There are so many competing interests and cross currents in play behind the scenes its hard to tell.

I would guesss that after the MSU game, Jimbo will have a conference call with this DC and UT’s coach Pruitt.  Pruitt has had Malzahn’s number since the 2nd half of the 2013 NC game.  How he anticipated our offensive plays was something to watch, unfortunatley.  I hope our defense can rise to the occation.

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

A win against AtM will secure Gus. I think.

6-6- There will be many more influential people fed up and calling for his head. Whoever makes the call better be pretty well insulated from the mob if Gus remains. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:11 AM, aujeff11 said:

I’ve been saying pump the brakes for two weeks now. I think we have a good shot at 8 wins. Can’t buyout a 31 million dollar contract over a disappointing 8 win season. We just gave Gus job security. You can’t take away job security over a historically Auburn record. WTH does job security even mean? 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:29 AM, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t say that he deserved job security. Regardless, we gave it to him 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:39 AM, aujeff11 said:

I think Auburn gave him job security and Gus will stay. Firing an eight win coach with the contract that Gus has is just as reckless as the contract itself. 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:36 AM, aujeff11 said:

Gus received job security last year, and no matter how many people call for his head this year, his job will still be tbere.

We knew that last year and still gave him job security. Hence the reason why we won’t fire him this year. 

You go from being fairly certain that Gus has “job security” and is untouchable to basically saying he’s an aTm loss away from probably losing his job. I honestly don’t mean this in a combative way, but which do you believe?

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would guesss that after the MSU game, Jimbo will have a conference call with this DC and UT’s coach Pruitt.  Pruitt has had Malzahn’s number since the 2nd half of the 2013 NC game.  How he anticipated our offensive plays was something to watch, unfortunatley.  I hope our defense can rise to the occation.

Pruitt has said it was easy once he realized AU wasn't really running a zone read, that the offensive plays were either pre-called or were being called from the sideline once the defense was set.  I assume he just mixed up his defensive look to trick Gus into calling plays UGA could then anticipate and defend.

19 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Pruitt has said it was easy once he realized AU wasn't really running a zone read, that the offensive plays were either pre-called or were being called from the sideline once the defense was set.  I assume he just mixed up his defensive look to trick Gus into calling plays UGA could then anticipate and defend.

I wonder if Gus knows this?

13 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I wouldn't sleep on us in the Georgia game (young team, lack of senior leadership, Jim Chaney is still their OC, they still can't convert 3rd & long). 

Your are right about the other parts but not sure we can hang our hat on the last bit once it gets to the DSOR.

34 minutes ago, chimes said:

You go from being fairly certain that Gus has “job security” and is untouchable to basically saying he’s an aTm loss away from probably losing his job. I honestly don’t mean this in a combative way, but which do you believe?

I said that the AD should insulate himself from tbe mob when making the call. I am fairly certain that the contract will be too large of an obstacle to fire Gus. 

And you are creepily keeping track of my posts, after being combative the other day. Bring it on big boy.

Edit: At least two of my quoted posts were regarding an 8 win Gus as well. Obviously if we lose the next three SEC games, that water mark won’t be reached.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I said that the AD should insulate himself from tbe mob when making the call. I am fairly certain that the contract will be too large of an obstacle to fire Gus. 

And you are creepily keeping track of my posts, after being combative the other day. Bring it on big boy.

Edit: At least two of my quoted posts were regarding an 8 win Gus as well. Obviously if we lose the next three SEC games, that water mark won’t be reached.

Creepily? We had a whole thread going regarding his “job security” 2 days ago- Sorry that I remembered having that conversation?

And you quickly dropped the 8 win qualifier and assured everyone that we gave Gus job security and thus made him untouchable. You said numerous times he wasn’t going anywhere with no mention whatsoever of a certain amount of wins. 

I said in my post above that I’m honestly just curious which one you believe it is and tried to take any venom out of the tone of my post but you just cannot help yourself. 

2 minutes ago, chimes said:

You said numerous times he wasn’t going anywhere with no mention whatsoever of a certain amount of wins. 

Look in tbe posts that you quoted above. I clearly said 8 wins in two of the posts. If he finished the regular season with a 6-6 record,  I think he will stay but I’m not as certain of it. 

4 minutes ago, chimes said:

Creepily? We had a whole thread going regarding his “job security” 2 days ago- Sorry that I remembered having that conversation?

You creepily dug the posts out for a failed gotcha moment. Run along now. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Look in tbe posts that you quoted above. I clearly said 8 wins in two of the posts. If he finished the regular season with a 6-6 record,  I think he will stay but I’m not as certain of it. 

You creepily dug the posts out for a failed gotcha moment. Run along now. 

I quoted them to add a reference point.

Does you talking to me like this on a message board make you feel like an alpha irl? 

9 minutes ago, chimes said:

I quoted them to add a reference point.

I said we wouldn’t fire an 8 win coach in your “reference point.” What’s the problem? 

9 minutes ago, chimes said:

Does you talking to me like this on a message board make you feel like an alpha irl? 

. You get combative with me, you try to throw my own posts to my face, and then you tell me I’m fast and loose with my qualifiers, but then I’m the problem when I’m tired of posting to you? Cute. Almost like your fancy CrossFit memes. 

And yes I do think he would be in trouble if we lose to the Aggies especially with his history against UGA and Bama. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I said we wouldn’t fire an 8 win coach in your “reference point.” What’s the problem? 

. You get combative with me, you try to throw my own posts to my face, and then you tell me I’m fast and loose with my qualifiers, but then I’m the problem when I’m tired of posting to you? Cute. Almost like your fancy CrossFit memes. 

You went on multiple times afterwards with absolutely no mention of 8 wins. 

“Gus received job security last year, and no matter how many people call for his head this year, his job will still be here.”

”We knew that last year and still gave him job security. Hence the reason why we won’t fire him this year.”

Those are definitive statements with no mention of a certain amount of wins. Your post today seemed to go against this so I simply asked which one you believed to be true. I added the quotes to point directly to what I was referencing. I even added in my initial post that I understood how the tone could come off, especially after our exchange the other day, and that I honestly didn’t mean for it to be combative.

I honestly regret that I let your douchebag condescending tone get to me the other day. That’s my fault and I assure you it won’t happen again.

If you’re really that tired of “posting to me”, I’ve been told they have this little thing called an ignore feature. Use it or don’t. I don’t care.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

And yes I do think he would be in trouble if we lose to the Aggies especially with his history against UGA and Bama. 

I’m interested to see UGA this weekend.  If Florida is able to run on them the way LSU did them I think Auburn has a chance of going into Athens and picking up the W.  

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

If that happens, I agree, they'll beat us...

Good one man. That was a captain obvious statement. How about their offense will be the difference in the game.

10 minutes ago, chimes said:

You went on multiple times afterwards with absolutely no mention of 8 wins. 

“Gus received job security last year, and no matter how many people call for his head this year, his job will still be here.”

”We knew that last year and still gave him job security. Hence the reason why we won’t fire him this year.”

CONTEXT MATTERS. The last quote was directed at you saying “Gus should be fired for being a perennial 8 win coach alone.” Guess where that “8” number that you used came from? Me.

Those are definitive statements with no mention of a certain amount of wins

Context still matters. 

If you’re really that tired of “posting to me”, I’ve been told they have this little thing called an ignore feature. Use it or don’t. I don’t care.

I can handle my own without a faulty ignore button. Don’t cry about me being an a-hole if that’s what you seek though.  

@TitanTiger,  bring a broom and a garbage pail. Time to clean up some trash. 

7 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I get tired of people saying the offensive line is not executing. When the coaches run the most predictable offense with glaring tells based on trends and formations the players don't have a chance to execute because the other team knows what happening before the ball is snapped.  The coaches are responsible for self analyzing and giving our players a chance. And it should not take 3 games or 7 games to adjust. The UCF game should have been a wake up call. I remember Gus fought to make Chip his OC. He had a chance to bring in a respected coordinator to help provide guidance and install an actual legit passing game to go with his run game. He chose to bring in a yes man instead. This reoccurring mess of dysfunctional play calling and vanilla play design is a sum of Gus' brand. I don't see any improvement in the trajectory of the program since CCL was brought in. In fact the SEC record since 2013 is not good and I see no reason to think the program is heading in the right direction. And getting beat by MSU again, in year 6, and whipped by a terrible UT team tells me exactly what type of quality our coach is. 

These aren't mutually exclusive things.  We can be both infuriatingly predictable on offense AND the OL can be a dumpster fire.  While we aren't helping an under talented and inexperienced line with some of the calls, that isn't the case all the time.  But the middle of our line getting their asses pushed in over and over is happening all too frequently, even when the playcalls are good.

For reference, everyone in the country knew what was coming in 2013 and couldn't stop it because that OL was nasty and knocked people TFO the ball.

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

CONTEXT MATTERS. The last quote was directed at you saying “Gus should be fired for being a perennial 8 win coach alone.” Guess where that “8” number that used came from? Me.

Context still matters. 

I can handle my own without a faulty ignore button. Don’t cry about me being an a-hole though if that’s what you seek though.  

So what you’re saying is that you could’ve just responded to my initial question today by saying that 8 wins will keep Gus safe and anything less is likely to put his job in jeopardy? 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

These aren't mutually exclusive things.  We can be both infuriatingly predictable on offense AND the OL can be a dumpster fire.  While we aren't helping an under talented and inexperienced line with some of the calls, that isn't the case all the time.  But the middle of our line getting their asses pushed in over and over is happening all too frequently, even with the playcalls are good.

For reference, everyone in the country knew what was coming in 2013 and couldn't stop it because that OL was nasty and knocked people TFO the ball.

On the last part, YUP. Nasty, experienced group. We also had Jay Prosch and a bunch of big, physical receivers who took pride in blocking on the perimeter. Even Trovon Reed was an excellent blocker.

On the first part, YUP. Unfortunately, this isn't an either/or situation with our offense. It's a lot of ands, and the whole has become worse than the sum of its awful parts. The most talented OLs are probably the least experienced. They're not being coached well. The QB isn't responding well to the excess pressure. The WRs evidently aren't getting open, not that they're being given a sufficient route tree to run. The RBs are inexperienced and pigeon-holed into narrowly defined roles. The play calling is unimaginative and predictable and isn't tailored to attack what the defense is allowing or take advantage of what strengths we do have. And, and, and. 

I'm curious what the impetus is for trying to say "it's not this, it's the other". Maybe the reality of just how many ways this offense is failing is upsetting and confusing.

Archived