2021 5* QB Brock Vandagriff (UGA)

GwillMac6

Just now, DAG said:

Gus wants to run the ball consistently. 

But he's only been like that here at AU. He's always had that 1000+ yard rusher, but everywhere else he's coached it was always combined with a 3000+ yard passer. 

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

But he's only been like that here at AU. He's always had that 1000+ yard rusher, but everywhere else he's coached it was always combined with a 3000+ yard passer. 

This is true but do we think that is going to change all of a sudden? Maybe. But last time I wanted to give the guy the benefit of a doubt, it became a battle of words. 

Just now, DAG said:

This is true but do we think that is going to change all of a sudden? Maybe. But last time I wanted to give the guy the benefit of a doubt, it became a battle of words. 

I'm forever the optimistic realist. Each Fall hope springs eternal. Otherwise, what's the point of all the pain and suffering of Spring and Summer.  

Totally without hope one cannot live. To live without hope is to cease to live. Hell is hopelessness. It's no accident that above the entrance to Dante's hell is the inscription, "Leave behind all hope you who enter here"

-F. Dostoevsky

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm forever the optimistic realist. Each Fall hope springs eternal. Otherwise, what's the point of all the pain and suffering of Spring and Summer.  

Totally without hope one cannot live. To live without hope is to cease to live. Hell is hopelessness. It's no accident that above the entrance to Dante's hell is the inscription, "Leave behind all hope you who enter here"

-F. Dostoevsky

I 100 percent agree.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

-F. Dostoevsky

I tell you who I do wish we had...Sam Elhinger. Now Texas is clearly recruiting a certain type of QB to run their offense. I respect it. 

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So that's why we get along...

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

-F. Dostoevsky

...sometimes. (Took me like two years to finish The Brothers Karamazov.)

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus came in right away and had tremendous success, but it was a perfect storm/lightning in a bottle situation. He had the perfect line, FB, and TB to be a strong run team. Then entered Marshall who was the most perfect ZR QB that could've been created. Combine those circumstances with the fact that defenses hadn't figured out exactly how to play/defend the ZR and we werw impossible to stop that year. IMO, because of that success, Gus thought he had the golden ticket. He finally had an offensive scheme that no one could figure out. He recruited for that scheme, he developed plays for that scheme, and became tunnel-visioned/obsessed with duplicating the 2013 result and proving to the world he belonged. In doing so, the natural progression of an offense and it's evolution was greatly affected. 

If 2013 hadn't happened, we would have looked similar to the Arky ST/Tulsa offenses, IMO. Most likely, by 2015, we would have evolved into something similar to Chad Morris' Clemson offense. However, Gus kept trying to chase the lightning he found in 2013 so he didn't tweak the the O after 2014 hoping JJ would be the next Cam. Again in the spring of 2016, instead of evolving, we bring in JF3 trying to find the next Marshall to recapture the 2013 success. It was another fail.

By this time, the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes had all been dedicated to bringing in players that fit the 2013 offensive mold. Unfortunately, DCs across the sport had universally figured out how to defend the ZR (attacking the mesh and gap exchanging the OLB and DE) as well as how to take away the IZ run game preferred by "spread" teams (TITE fronts). So even when Gus wanted to "move" away from, I'm not gonna say evolve just yet, that run-heavy, IZ/ZR/QBPwr scheme he didn't have the personnel available to be successful due to the previous 4 years of recruiting. 

However, beginning with the 2017 class (Stidham, Sal, Boobee, D. Barrett, Noah, Shenker, Alaric), the 2018 class (Gatewood, Hill, Joiner, Schwartz, Williams, Shivers, Shed, and Fuqua), the 2019 (Nix, Fromm, Deal, MAR, Sheffield, J. Johnson, and Farrar), and the direction and wants of this 2020 class (Hudson, Evans, and pushing strongly for Williams, Louis, and Capers), we see a dramatic shift in direction and focus of the recruiting efforts. If 2013 hadn't happened, I think we would've shifted in this direction 4+ years ago and possibly had evolved the offense and scheme that much quicker. 

This is just my thoughts and opinions.

I don’t understand the philosophy behind your theory  on recruiting shift  in terms of QBs.. After Nick Marshall the only QBs we had signed who could do the zone read where Wills, Gatewood, & Franklin.  there were other QBs signed between 2013 and now who could not run the zone read.  From that perspective it doesn’t feel like Gus has been specifically tied down to the success of 2013 specifically the zone read. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Now this part I understand. We’ve been so tied up to that damn consecutive thousand yard rusher streak that it’s made me sickening, and I think maybe @McLoofus too. Hopefully that streak snapping last year was a blessing. We need to get away from individual production and get back to overall offensive team production.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is something I've been saying ever since we signed Sean White, and I think it might be similar to what @AuburnNTexas is saying. There is this entire middle category that is more mobile than a traditional "pro-style" "pocket-passing" statue but not nearly as mobile as the true dual threat guys. I feel like most NFL QBs will eventually fit that mold. Rodgers is at the top of that spectrum. So is Mayfield. Sean White, in my opinion, was at the bottom end, but still much more mobile than a Brady or Manning. Brees, Wentz, Winston... I'd put Stidham in that category, too. And definitely Nix. Probably most of those guys ran all over the yard in high school, and they'll do less of it in college, and even less again in the NFL (depending on the offense their in). And none of them belong in the Cam/Jackson/Watson category. Those are the true dual-threat guys IMO. 

Really, folks just have trouble with nuance and so we always try to fit things into limited and limiting silos to help our brains organize our thoughts. Seems like 3 silos for QBs shouldn't be too many, though. Maybe we just haven't come up with a catchy name yet. 

I think you just said in a much more eloquent way what I was trying to say about 2 different types of dual threat Quarterbacks.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don’t understand the philosophy behind your theory  on recruiting shift in terms of QBs.. 

Do you understand it with regards to other positions and the different type of players we're recruiting for them?

Just now, bigbird said:

Do you understand it with regards to other positions and the different type of players we're recruiting for them?

See my reply to your RB post. lol

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

sometimes. (Took me like two years to finish The Brothers Karamazov.)

You finished like a year faster than I did, Mr. SpeedReader

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

-F. Dostoevsky

AFBC86B8-A0DD-423A-8B25-DF8B789949AF.gif

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I don’t understand the philosophy behind your theory  on recruiting shift  in terms of QBs.. After Nick Marshall the only QBs we had signed who could do the zone read where Wills, Gatewood, & Franklin.  there were other QBs signed between 2013 and now who could not run the zone read.  From that perspective it doesn’t feel like  girls has been specifically tied down to the success of 2013 specifically the zone read. 

I actually think Gus felt like he had to prove that he could win with a passing QB. With that said he tried to recruit Deshaun Watson, Francois, Lowell Narcisse, Shea Patterson, Torrance Gibson, Kyler Murray, and couple others and just ended up missing. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

With that said he tried to recruit Deshaun Watson, Francois, Lowell Narcisse, Shea Patterson, Torrance Gibson, Kyler Murray, and couple others and just ended up missing. 

True but in some of those cases he ended up signing pocket QBs instead of next best available dual QB. Still can't believe we passed on Lamar Jackson when we could have had him.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

True but in some of those cases he ended up signing pocket QBs instead of next best available dual QB. Still can't believe we passed on Lamar Jackson when we could have had him.

That is what drove me crazy . Sign multiple guys who can run the QB read. I wasn’t too much tripping over the JF3 thing until I found out he wasn’t even trying to get the guy who signed with V.Tech. Why would you not just bring in both guys and let the best man win? We had 4 guys this past spring who have the ability to run what he likes. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think you just said in a much more eloquent way what I was trying to say about 2 different types of dual threat Quarterbacks.

Nah, I just used more words lol. Totally agree with you on this, obviously.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And to add to your point I think Gus is going in that direction based on his recent signing at QB and hopeful pursuit of the young man from Hoover.

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

And to add to your point I think Gus is going in that direction based on his recent signing at QB and hopeful pursuit of the young man from Hoover.

Robbie Ashford? Last I heard is he's not a take for AU.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Robbie Ashford? Last I heard is he's not a take for AU.

OMG

1 hour ago, DAG said:

OMG

Why OMG? I think that’s like two or three months old news. 

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why OMG? I think that’s like two or three months old news. 

Yeah, I have been concentrating on CRNA school. So priorities. my bad!

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He's more than just a fan. He is a AU legacy. Come on Mikey.

Do you want a list of UAT legacy guys that came to AU, or AU legacy guys that went to UAT and elsewhere? UGA legacies at AU and vice-versa?  It would be a long, long list.

Archived