Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

14 hours ago, japantiger said:

Thanks for this post.  About as close to an objective view as exists on the site relative to his ability as a coach.  I hope the guy can perform miracles with the talent we have; because that is what will matter next year.  I don't think his recruiting ability will save his or Gus's job as he won't be around long enough for it to matter if he can't "shift the mean" on the group we have quickly.  If as someone on here said his lines have "an attitude", and drive folks back, then the rushing game will immediately improve and we have a chance to have an offense again 

You are fooling yourself if you think that's all that's been wrong with our offense. 

We have a QB who has never completed above 60% completion percentage in his career (high school included.) We have WRs who give up on the play if they are not option A. We have a coach who likes sending his RBs right up the gut of the defense sometimes repeatedly at All-American DLs. We have RBs that hop before runs. We have TEs who have been all but invisible in the Gus offense (this includes CJU who was a productive TE in the NFL who was barely used while at Auburn.) We have high school WR routes. We treat WRs like their MAIN JOB is to block not catch passes. 

None of that is even counting the fact that we will be breaking in 4 new starters on the OL next season. 

There is a lot more to our offensive struggles than how mean the OL is... dont get me wrong that's a big thing, but we could have a line made up of the MEANEST SOBs that have ever graced our line throughout history, and with all the other issues I listed, the offense would STILL struggle.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

17 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus struck gold in 2013. He stubbornly spent the next 7 years still digging in the same spot, even though it was clear there was nothing else left in that mine. 

And instead of using a shovel he switched to a plastic spoon with his recruitment of pass-first QBs instead of guys with the same skill set as Nick Marshall

18 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus struck gold in 2013. He stubbornly spent the next 7 years still digging in the same spot, even though it was clear there was nothing else left in that mine. 

Spent up to 2017 trying to replicate it and then still needed Art to bail him out.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are fooling yourself if you think that's all that's been wrong with our offense. 

We have a QB who has never completed above 60% completion percentage in his career (high school included.) We have WRs who give up on the play if they are not option A. We have a coach who likes sending his RBs right up the gut of the defense sometimes repeatedly at All-American DLs. We have RBs that hop before runs. We have TEs who have been all but invisible in the Gus offense (this includes CJU who was a productive TE in the NFL who was barely used while at Auburn.) We have high school WR routes. We treat WRs like their MAIN JOB is to block not catch passes. 

None of that is even counting the fact that we will be breaking in 4 new starters on the OL next season. 

There is a lot more to our offensive struggles than how mean the OL is... dont get me wrong that's a big thing, but we could have a line made up of the MEANEST SOBs that have ever graced our line throughout history, and with all the other issues I listed, the offense would STILL struggle.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however, a good offensive line can make up for a lot of offensive mediocrity though. Good example: Even though they had some good to very good players, Minnesota did not have 1st round talent in their wide outs, QB and/or RB positions but because our defense never got to the QB he was able to pick us apart, the receivers were consistently able to get open and make catches and the RBs were able to run all over us and have a record day. A major reason for this was that their O-line beat our D-line for most of the game. They kept the QB upright (0 sacks and few pressures) and gave him time to find the open receivers as well as allowing the receivers to get open, they opened holes for the RBs and also allowed them to get to the outside. They pretty much made our first and second round talented D-line look as bad as they have all year.

Auburn has been an example all year of what a mediocre offensive line can do to 4 and 5 star talent at the QB, RB and WR positions. The QB can't pick apart the defense or throw to deep routes if he's running for his life or stay in the pocket if he doesn't have trust in his protection. The RBs can't break long runs if they can't get past or around the line of scrimmage and the wideouts have a hard time getting open if the CBs and safeties don't have to worry too much about the run game. If anything (but not the only thing), Auburn's offensive line woes were very apparent in the bowl game but showed up throughout the year and even including some the previous year with an NFL caliber QB in place.

While O-line might not have been our only problem offensively, it was a major part of it. Everything goes through the offensive line. It can make up for a lot of weaknesses and it can sure amplify and create some also.

I'm definitely not saying our problems are solved (nowhere near that) but I'm also not sorry to see our previous line coach gone as well as our senior O-line guys if anything only because I'm not sure either would ever get the job done. Pass blocking wasn't bad but the lack of a consistent run threat didn't help our receivers get open or give the QB time to find them. While I definitely appreciate their effort and what they did for us, I don't see us getting better offensively if we didn't have a change in either or both.

Are we going to be better this year with the new line coach and the new O-line? Don't know, but I'm sure I was ready for a change there and I'm probably not the only one.

This hire makes sense. We are going to have a very patchwork, bargain-bin unit next year starting out. It will take a strong, veteran teacher to help that unit gel in any way. He's certainly got his work cut out for him. I'm glad Gus passed on another learn-on-the-job hire this time. 

37 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

While O-line might not have been our only problem offensively, it was a major part of it. Everything goes through the offensive line. It can make up for a lot of weaknesses and it can sure amplify and create some also.

I'd say it was easily about 80-90% of the problem. RBs couldn't find a hole and Bo rarely had the time to scan or the pocket to step up in. 

I've been hypercritical of Gus' predictability, his game plans, and the timing of certain  play calls. However, this year there was a lot less of those criticisms.  I actually agree with him this year that most of the issues were due to player execution and to me, that was mostly due to the very poor OL play and inconsistencies

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd say it was easily about 80-90% of the problem. RBs couldn't find a hole and Bo rarely had the time to scan or the pocket to step up in. 

I've been hypercritical of Gus' predictability, his game plans, and the timing of certain  play calls. However, this year there was a lot less of those criticisms.  I actually agree with him this year that most of the issues were due to player execution and to me, that was mostly due to the very poor OL play and inconsistencies

I disagree completely with Bo doesn't have time stuff. Maybe a game or two but Bo was in a better position than most. 

But IMO what coach isn't good with good o line play? When you have great o line play is when you don't have to be an outstanding coach. What makes people good at what they do in competition is your ability to overcome in spite of. That's what make you elite. Yeah if things are perfect then everybody can do it. And everybody knows how important having an o line is.....why would you even let it get to a point that you are struggling in that area?

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I disagree completely with Bo doesn't have time stuff. Maybe a game or two but Bo was in a better position than most. 

The problem is those couple of games were Florida and LSU. 

Regardless of talent, recruiting, or positional coaching, I just hope that CCM has some autonomy and can get his position coaches on the same page he's on. Really feels like the players' collective ability to get their assignments right has been compromised by a lack of offensive identity and cohesion. Now this guy's the OC, now that guy is but he's only sorta calling the plays, now he's on the sideline, now he's not calling the plays, now he's in the box, oh there's a new OL coach, oh here's the old one again, we only run 4 plays and they all require wholesale substitutions......

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The problem is those couple of games were Florida and LSU. 

LSU games he missed some wide open just because they were too open I guess but he just didn't make the plays. Florida game just seemed to appear that the ENTIRE team wasn't preparedby the coach

Just now, cole256 said:

because they were too open

That does happen sometimes

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Florida game just seemed to appear that the ENTIRE team wasn't preparedby the coach

You can add Minnesota to that group

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That does happen sometimes

You can add Minnesota to that group

Right. So Minnesota coaches knew that their o line wouldn't have a bunch of time; so they had a game plan, they got the ball out quick, they kept us off balance. I'm sure it wasn't ideal but apparently he's a good coach

All these last 10 or so posts are really good evaluations of the current situation.  Which is all the more troubling since, other than friggin Minnesota, we almost won every game against those amazing teams we barely lost to. 

I'm an old fashioned guy; it starts up front.  If we fix the line; we fix the root of most (not all, but most) of what afflicted us this year.  If we fix the line, we can actually get some 1st downs and control the ball.  Even Terry Henley was SEC player of the year; it had nothing to do with him...I was faster and had more moves than he did; not back then; but now!  He ran behind one of the best Olines in Auburn history.  A good line makes up for a lot of sins.  If our line can actually protect for more than 2 seconds; our innacurate QB might have time to set his feet and make a throw.  He is not very good on the move.  The less he has to move the better.  With a good line; the game slows down dramatically for a young QB.  With more time, maybe the receivers will be able to create some space...if not everytime then at least some more of the time. 

All of you guys point out legit shortcomings.  But we must have talent; a lot of talent; given our recruiting rankings how close we came to winning all those games this year with all those shortcomings.  But if we can fix just one thing; it needs to be Oline 1st.  

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm not sure we were watching the same team. I seem to recall Bo having to run out of the pocket and throw the ball away lots of times this year as well as there were not many (if any) games where he was not sacked. I also don't remember too many games this year (at least against teams with a pulse) where our running backs were able to carve up the defense or run unimpeded because they had huge holes to run through. These things happened because of O-line play or lack there of.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

But IMO what coach isn't good with good o line play? When you have great o line play is when you don't have to be an outstanding coach. What makes people good at what they do in competition is your ability to overcome in spite of. That's what make you elite. Yeah if things are perfect then everybody can do it. And everybody knows how important having an o line is.....why would you even let it get to a point that you are struggling in that area?

So what does that make Saban and Kirby? Their lines are slap full of 5 star talent and yet, neither team made it to the playoffs or went undefeated in the regular season even. By your definition then, neither is an outstanding coach or has the ability to overcome their teams shortcomings or they didn't have their entire teams prepared. Heck, one of them lost to Auburn's coach and his mediocre coaching. Pretty sure you would have a hard time convincing anyone that Saban is not an outstanding coach though. So what happened? Maybe, just maybe, their offensive lines didn't play up to snuff at certain times and their high talent level wasn't enough to get them the win. Their RBs couldn't run at will and their QBs got pressured into bad throws and/or sacked. Bottom line, their offensive lines had lapses and got beat by the defenses they were facing.

Now, multiply that by 10 and you have what Auburn was playing with all season. And Auburn did not have the talent on the O-line to beat teams just by showing up like those 2 teams do. This part you can easily blame on Gus. His O-line recruiting has been lousy to say the least and it has bitten us repeatedly the last few years or so.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Right. So Minnesota coaches knew that their o line wouldn't have a bunch of time; so they had a game plan, they got the ball out quick, they kept us off balance. I'm sure it wasn't ideal but apparently he's a good coach

A short passing attack doesn't explain 215 yards rushing with a 4.4 yd average. Not to mention, they didn't throw only short passes since they averaged almost 10 yards per pass and their no#1 and no#2 receivers averaged over 16 yards per catch. No way they could do that if the offensive line wasn't opening holes and closing off the edge for the RB and protecting the QB so he could go 20 of 30 passing for 280 more and no sacks. No question their O-line whipped our D-line. Very evident just from watching the game without even looking at stats. Our D-line guys somewhat admitted to it after the game.

Auburn tried quick, short passes also. Averaged 6.5 yards per pass. Problem was Auburn was only able to rush for 56 with a 2.2 yd average and Bo was sacked 2 times and forced to throw it away several more times. All because our O-line got beat especially on run plays. They got absolutely no push. Their O-line gave their QB lots more time than Auburn's did for Bo also.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I think you made some good points but I think you are vastly underestimating the difference line play makes in a game especially for the offense but really on both sides of the ball. Now if you want to blame Gus for something blame him for bad O-line recruiting. I think that's one of his major fallacies. Hopefully this hire and this years recruiting will be the beginning of curing this nagging ailment we've had to deal with for years now. I sure hope so. If not, he's gonna be gone.

Really interesting to read these posts. Our OL over the last few years has not lacked for recruited talent.  We have recruited plenty of 4-stars, and even a 5-star. It appears to have lacked from development. When junior and senior 4-star OLs can't win a starting position against underclassmen, graduate transfer 0-stars and 2-stars, and converted defensive ends, either they were not 4-stars to begin with, or they were not developed.

Also, anyone looking at our OL over the last two years and one can see the lack of push during running plays. Our pass protection was rated pretty good this year. But in 2018 and 2019 our zone blocking for the run was poor. It was very bad in 208. As was some of the other plays. I honestly think the reason we did not run a lot of power, counter, and buck sweep is because Gus did not trust his offensive linemen to be able to execute on those plays.

The constant changes to the starting center in 2018 and 2019 between Kim and Brahms, and the need for graduate transfer Jack Driscoll to start at right tackle were indicative of the challenges we had. Nothing against Driscoll, but when a 2-star graduate transfer can come into a SEC school and start, that school is lacking something. Add to that, our best offensive lineman turned out to be that converted defensive end who played one year of high-school football.

Our OL issues are systemic. They existed across two OL coaches over a number of years. It is not just recruiting. Our 4-star recruits get beat by 2-star and 0-star transfers. The OL requires coaching and development more than any other position. And we have consistently failed since the 2015 season, with a brief exception during our 2017 run (after a dismal start). Don't forget in 2017 our entire second string OL was Austin Golson. Our 2019 starting OL was relegated to third string behind one guy.

3 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Really interesting to read these posts. Our OL over the last few years has not lacked for recruited talent.  We have recruited plenty of 4-stars, and even a 5-star. It appears to have lacked from development. When junior and senior 4-star OLs can't win a starting position against underclassmen, graduate transfer 0-stars and 2-stars, and converted defensive ends, either they were not 4-stars to begin with, or they were not developed.

Also, anyone looking at our OL over the last two years and one can see the lack of push during running plays. Our pass protection was rated pretty good this year. But in 2018 and 2019 our zone blocking for the run was poor. It was very bad in 208. As was some of the other plays. I honestly think the reason we did not run a lot of power, counter, and buck sweep is because Gus did not trust his offensive linemen to be able to execute on those plays.

The constant changes to the starting center in 2018 and 2019 between Kim and Brahms, and the need for graduate transfer Jack Driscoll to start at right tackle were indicative of the challenges we had. Nothing against Driscoll, but when a 2-star graduate transfer can come into a SEC school and start, that school is lacking something. Add to that, our best offensive lineman turned out to be that converted defensive end who played one year of high-school football.

Our OL issues are systemic. They existed across two OL coaches over a number of years. It is not just recruiting. Our 4-star recruits get beat by 2-star and 0-star transfers. The OL requires coaching and development more than any other position. And we have consistently failed since the 2015 season, with a brief exception during our 2017 run (after a dismal start). Don't forget in 2017 our entire second string OL was Austin Golson. Our 2019 starting OL was relegated to third string behind one guy.

It’s been just as much a talent part as it has been development. These guys should have never been ranked 4* or 5*’s. We fought off Maryland for Ashley. That was it. 

It all starts on the offensive side of the ball with the OL. A good OL that can move the pile will have positive results like 200 plus yards rushing and 200 plus yards passing. Got to have this to be good.

1 hour ago, AuJoe said:

I'm not sure we were watching the same team. I seem to recall Bo having to run out of the pocket and throw the ball away lots of times this year as well as there were not many (if any) games where he was not sacked. I also don't remember too many games this year (at least against teams with a pulse) where our running backs were able to carve up the defense or run unimpeded because they had huge holes to run through. These things happened because of O-line play or lack there of.

So what does that make Saban and Kirby? Their lines are slap full of 5 star talent and yet, neither team made it to the playoffs or went undefeated in the regular season even. By your definition then, neither is an outstanding coach or has the ability to overcome their teams shortcomings or they didn't have their entire teams prepared. Heck, one of them lost to Auburn's coach and his mediocre coaching. Pretty sure you would have a hard time convincing anyone that Saban is not an outstanding coach though. So what happened? Maybe, just maybe, their offensive lines didn't play up to snuff at certain times and their high talent level wasn't enough to get them the win. Their RBs couldn't run at will and their QBs got pressured into bad throws and/or sacked. Bottom line, their offensive lines had lapses and got beat by the defenses they were facing.

Now, multiply that by 10 and you have what Auburn was playing with all season. And Auburn did not have the talent on the O-line to beat teams just by showing up like those 2 teams do. This part you can easily blame on Gus. His O-line recruiting has been lousy to say the least and it has bitten us repeatedly the last few years or so.

A short passing attack doesn't explain 215 yards rushing with a 4.4 yd average. Not to mention, they didn't throw only short passes since they averaged almost 10 yards per pass and their no#1 and no#2 receivers averaged over 16 yards per catch. No way they could do that if the offensive line wasn't opening holes and closing off the edge for the RB and protecting the QB so he could go 20 of 30 passing for 280 more and no sacks. No question their O-line whipped our D-line. Very evident just from watching the game without even looking at stats. Our D-line guys somewhat admitted to it after the game.

Auburn tried quick, short passes also. Averaged 6.5 yards per pass. Problem was Auburn was only able to rush for 56 with a 2.2 yd average and Bo was sacked 2 times and forced to throw it away several more times. All because our O-line got beat especially on run plays. They got absolutely no push. Their O-line gave their QB lots more time than Auburn's did for Bo also.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I think you made some good points but I think you are vastly underestimating the difference line play makes in a game especially for the offense but really on both sides of the ball. Now if you want to blame Gus for something blame him for bad O-line recruiting. I think that's one of his major fallacies. Hopefully this hire and this years recruiting will be the beginning of curing this nagging ailment we've had to deal with for years now. I sure hope so. If not, he's gonna be gone.

That was a good post. Where your post doesn't work for me is you can't just look at a box score and see sack and say that's automatically on the o line. I saw many pressuresand a few sacks where Bo just had to step up in the pocket and throw the ball. Stidham did that alot too. 

There are teams every year that don't have our talent at o line that still find a way and they can't just say our QB would be better if our run game was! Yes I'm sure every QB would be better and would prefer to have it but that's on the coach, not an excuse. 

You're not going to find too many stats showing a team running well losing, that's not the argument. 

As far as your point with Kirby and Saban I don't see how it relates to your point but it strengthens mine. They are sure to recruit talent on the line and they are always capable of running so no they may not win a championship every year but they are always there with a chance to get in the playoffs. 

Then you make my point again with Minnesota. A coach can get production out of guys. This coach did with less talent. 

But no I understand better than most how important an o line is. But many of you are blaming things about Bo that wasn't on the o line. It wasnt the best play but it wasn't close to Bo couldn't even think because as soon as he hiked the ball he was getting sacked. 

Also, poor OL play should be why we only amass 375 yards of offense. Not 275. It should be why we finish just outside the top 25 in total offense, not outside the top 50. In fact, we barely finished inside the top half of college football in total offense at 64. 

Repeat: In year 7 of his tenure, our offensive coordinator took a team that is one of the top 10 most talented in the country and guided the offense to a 64th place finish. 

Part of that is bad OL play, sure. But no one single thing explains a performance that awful. 

One key to Bicknell's success will be if he is given the freedom to implement his blocking schemes and marry that blocking scheme to the overall offensive scheme.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, poor OL play should be why we only amass 375 yards of offense. Not 275. It should be why we finish just outside the top 25 in total offense, not outside the top 50. In fact, we barely finished inside the top half of college football in total offense at 64. 

Repeat: In year 7 of his tenure, our offensive coordinator took a team that is one of the top 10 most talented in the country and guided the offense to a 64th place finish. 

Part of that is bad OL play, sure. But no one single thing explains a performance that awful. 

That is the case regarding Auburn's offense. Other things added to a weak OL made this offense sputter and have too many 3-4 play drives, causing the D to play more or feel more pressure bc the offense couldn't muster enough points.

And those areas that also contributed were(and I think others have pointed this out here and there):

Bo. Inexperience caused some of his poor decisions. He also sometimes was to twitchy in the pocket, and would run out of it even though He was not getting the pressure he felt he was getting. Causing bad throws, throw aways, and scrambles. (watch film and you will see Bo bail out sooner than needed in many games). 

Gus. Playcalling. I remember someone posting in The Athletic stats breaking down the areas/Percentages of Gus's plays. To throw in the middle of the field less than 15% was a deficiency in his playcalling I felt. 

Gus. Passing schemes. To not utilize the TE consistently in the offense, and not consistently use curls and slants to help Bo improve his passing percentage and to continue offensive drives was a major contributing factor to our lack of offense.

Add to this. I am just reviewing areas that need to be addressed.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Our OL over the last few years has not lacked for recruited talent. 

This is incorrect, especially the last two seasons.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Spent up to 2017 trying to replicate it and then still needed Art to bail him out.

Not to derail too much here, but what’s the scoop on Art? Gotta getting close to time to resurface in a big way. Been reading the reports on him and Petrino together. Folks would lose their minds. 

34 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Not to derail too much here, but what’s the scoop on Art? Gotta getting close to time to resurface in a big way. Been reading the reports on him and Petrino together. Folks would lose their minds. 

Petrino just became the HC for Missouri State. Don’t see Art going there but he might. 

52 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Art is enjoying being a "coach" again and not having the pressure and politics of big time sports.

Archived