AU depth chart for UK game

Maverick.AU

3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t see how a 268 lb DT will hold up in the SEC - I hope I’m wrong! Happy to see Wooden & Simpson stepping up

That's plenty of size. Probably looking for more of a pass rush and a guy who can move outside too.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That's plenty of size. Probably looking for more of a pass rush and a guy who can move outside too.

Gus also said he thinks he’s bigger than that and his strength and quickness stood out. If garner believes this guy can be a starter at DT, I trust him 

I’m not sure where he is with his injury recovery from last year, but I’m surprised the Ja’Varrius Johnson isn’t listed anywhere in the WR rotation. I was hoping we would see a role for him this year. 

Also, a lot of first year faces on the two deep.

12 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gus also said he thinks he’s bigger than that and his strength and quickness stood out. If garner believes this guy can be a starter at DT, I trust him 

I would be willing to bet he is over 280.  

I am really surprised Burks and Butler are “buried” in the depth chart.  I expected Butler in particular to be at minimum second team.  

44 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I would be willing to bet he is over 280.  

I am really surprised Burks and Butler are “buried” in the depth chart.  I expected Butler in particular to be at minimum second team.  

From what I gathered on social media, chatter seems to be that he’s around 285

11 minutes ago, japantiger said:

RB...Shivers starting?  Really?  We will have a 5'7" 179lb running back leading the rushing attack?

He was the most efficient back on the roster last year. I do not see him being a 3 down back getting 20 carries a game, but I could see him being first on the field every game and getting 10-12 touches (including receptions) a game which I think he needs. He is very capable of housing it any given time. 

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

RB...Shivers starting?  Really?  We will have a 5'7" 179lb running back leading the rushing attack?

I think he is great.

I do worry about him pass blocking. 

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He was the most efficient back on the roster last year. I do not see him being a 3 down back getting 20 carries a game, but I could see him being first on the field every game and getting 10-12 touches (including receptions) a game which I think he needs. He is very capable of housing it any given time. 

So who is the full time RB?  Obvious we don't think we have one.  Not a great way for a team that needs to run it 50% of the time to go into a season

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

So who is the full time RB?  Obvious we don't think we have one.  Not a great way for a team that needs to run it 50% of the time to go into a season

Give the guy a chance. 

29 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Or maybe....just maybe....we have 4-5 guys that are all bringing unique skillsets to the position and will all be splitting carries.....I for one would rather have 3 good guys splitting reps than one workhorse RB that is worn down by the end of the year and unable to finish. 

Also I think that is quite presumptuous to say anything is obvious as to what the coaches think. 

12 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Or maybe....just maybe....we have 4-5 guys that are all bringing unique skillsets to the position and will all be splitting carries.....I for one would rather have 3 good guys splitting reps than one workhorse RB that is worn down by the end of the year and unable to finish. 

Also I think that is quite presumptuous to say anything is obvious as to what the coaches think. 

"Or maybe....just maybe....we have 4-5 guys that are all bringing unique skillsets to the position and will all be splitting carries."  And I'm the one being presumptuous.....if this was true, we should be running the wishbone.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

All things dealing with the starting holder are interesting. Most crucial spot on the team behind long snapper.

It's not uncommon for a walk on to be in that role.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

It's not uncommon for a walk on to be in that role.

It's a joke

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's a joke

For some but if we have FG issues they'll be blaming my guy Anders. He's not a Groza candidate (yet) but I'm glad we had him against Bama. The holder is a big deal. 

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

For some but if we have FG issues they'll be blaming my guy Anders. He's not a Groza candidate (yet) but I'm glad we had him against Bama. The holder is a big deal. 

I'm aware. I was joking originally about how interesting it is (since it's obviously not a very discussed position).

But now that I've had to explain it I have lost it lol.

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

Makes sense. I also believe we’re going to see a lot of Butler, Burks, and Hardy as the season goes on.  

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ben Grubbs was a converted DL. That seemed to work out.

Another prime example of the kind of guy we've had on our best teams but not so much of the last 5 years.

8 hours ago, japantiger said:

Ask Xavier McKinney how he feels about it. 

One common criticism of Gus in recent years has been that he sticks with one RB until he runs him into the ground. It has been used against us in RB recruiting. Every other major team uses a committee now - the days of giving Cadillac 42 carries in a game are long gone. So it appears we are finally moving that direction, and the RB stable looks to be deeper and more talented than we have had in quite some time. This is a positive development. 

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Kinda crazy that you have to explain this to anyone in 2020. 

One guy will get more carries than the others, but the disparity won't be as significant as it has been in the past for us. We will keep these guys fresh but also engaged. We will change up the pace from time to time. We will take advantage of those variances in skill sets according to what the defense is giving us and game script. This is a mentality that any team with ample talent at RB has in the modern day. 

In 2018, Alabama's RB1 had 150 carries. RB3 had 117. RBs 1 and 2 were drafted in the 3rd and 1st rounds, respectively. RB3 is a senior this year and will likely be a high draft pick. Alabama had the #3 offense in the country in 2018.

Also, I see the size queens are out in force in this thread. Lordy, imagine what kind of simple-minded dinosaur still writes off a running back in 2020 based on his size. Especially when he's the fastest RB in the league and possesses both the build and the violence of an honest to god wrecking ball. As for Wooden, that's a bit more understandable, but word is he's more in the 280-285 range now. 

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There are two ways to look at it. One that Jackson has come on really strong and has made the choice really difficult.  If that is the case we have depth at OT with the loser being as good as the winner. The other way is that Troxell is still not 100% so LT could be a weakness.  From what players have been saying Jackson has come on strong. Since I like wearing Orange and Blue glasses I am going with Jackson has come on real strong.

13 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Yeah, I'm gonna keep the orange lens on.  I will say that converting defensive lineman is not that bad a strategy.  Defensive lineman just tend to be way more athletic in high school that offensive lineman. Lots of 3 star defensive lineman could be 4 star offensive linemne.

For the record, I'm very excited about Jackson's future and am fully on board with the move to OL. I will not be surprised to see him get drafted.

What I'm surprised and concerned about is 1) him so quickly supplanting a big time OT when he hasn't been playing OL that long and 2) the fact that we're not even sure he's actually supplanted him here just a few days before kickoff.

I'm not freaking out about it or anything. I just had to find something to neg about and this was the only thing I could come up with. A lot of good responses to my consternation. 

9 hours ago, japantiger said:

Sure as hell will and it's about time. He was criminally underused the last two years.

8 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think he is great.

I do worry about him pass blocking. 

It's been stated by the coaches that he is the most consistent pass blocker of backs

Just now, bigbird said:

It's been stated by the coaches that he is the most consistent pass blocker of backs

Low to the ground and strong as an ox

I think people make way to much assumptions based on size 

Archived