2021 5* LB Terrence Lewis (Maryland)

ellitor

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Was he ever a behavioral problem ? Intensity on the field doesn’t mean anger mgt issues.

I did not mean to infer Takeo Spikes was a problem guy.  I am just saying, we need some 'meat eaters' like Spikes in every position group.   We don't have enough meat eaters,  in my opinion on our team.  And sometimes the 'bad boys' are those meat eaters.  

• Like 3

I see "those people" are being funny again.

Gus has done a great job of recruiting talent- even if not always from a total roster management perspective- and character. It's absolutely how he's been running such a clean and committed locker room starting around 2016. Before that, he was a little more open to the riskier kids. He took Mike Dyer back at Arkansas State. Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson. I am 100% sure that Ray Rice is the only reason that Gus "didn't go there" with that girl-hitting dude that bama 'crooted'n'booted- Taylor, I think? (Hell no Cam and Nick don't belong in this conversation, dummy.)

Anyway, 2015 turned into a complete S-show, and Gus got scared off of those guys. At the same time, Muschamp helped level up on the recruiting side, and then CRG and TWill went straight animal in Muschamp's wake, and suddenly we were in a position to get good kids who could also play ball. (Still not sure how we've kept the WR pipeline flowing.)

This is another flashing sign signalling that we are not "going like this" and haven't been since November 2017, and even that was likely an illusion. 

Baby Yoda, Auburn fan.

Baby Yoda Look Up And Down GIF - BabyYoda LookUpAndDown TheMandalorian -  Discover & Share GIFs | Star wars yoda, Yoda wallpaper, Star wars memes

• Like 1

Who was that player that Dye took a chance on who was into drugs down in Florida and had a terrible rep.

If Dye can do that, then Malzahn, who by all accounts over 8 years has had as good a record in recruiting good kids, or making sure they are taken care of once they get here, even if they have had issues in HS.

All one can do is take him, monitor him, give him good counseling and coaching which i think TWill can do, and hope for the best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Who was that player that Dye took a chance on who was into drugs down in Florida and had a terrible rep.

If Dye can do that, then Malzahn, who by all accounts over 8 years has had as good a record in recruiting good kids, or making sure they are taken care of once they get here, even if they have had issues in HS.

All one can do is take him, monitor him, give him good counseling and coaching which i think TWill can do, and hope for the best.

Also, We don't recruit at such a high level that we can drop these 'problem' top recruits. Gus' recruiting lately requires us to take maybe more of a chance on the problem 4* and 5* players.

Gus isn't like Dye who could take a 3* or even walk on and turn him into an NFL Hall of Fame player (Kevin Greene). 

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

making sure they are taken care of once they get here

Mike Dyer (at Arkansas State), Duke Williams, Kyle Davis, Jovon Robinson, Sean White (!!!), Kam Pettway, Coynis Miller... who knows how many I'm leaving out... 

Gus has an abysmal track record with any dudes who brought problems with them. What he excels at is not recruiting those dudes in the first place.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mike Dyer (at Arkansas State), Duke Williams, Kyle Davis, Jovon Robinson, Sean White (!!!), Kam Pettway, Coynis Miller... who knows how many I'm leaving out... 

Gus has an abysmal track record with any dudes who brought problems with them. What he excels at is not recruiting those dudes in the first place.

ahh... you got me on that one. :)

I hate it when you guys give me better examples. :

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

ahh... you got me on that one. :)

I hate it when you guys give me better examples. :

I guess Gus wasn’t technically HC, but there was also a guy named Cam Newton that had some issues at 18, seems to have turned out ok! 

(Sometimes these guys work out, sometimes they don’t. Not sure any one coach has much better odds at making it happen. A lot of people have issues as teenagers, some grow up and some don’t.) 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All of these guys and had issues and eventually did not work out but to say they didn't help Auburn is something different. Mike Dyer run to seal National Championship, Kam Pettway had a great year for us. Duke had one good year for us and Sean White played well when JJ was not producing. 

I agree Gus is much better recruiting his kind of people but some of these guys who did not pan out long term helped us short term. Without Dyer we may not get the National Championship.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

15 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

All of these guys and had issues and eventually did not work out but to say they didn't help Auburn is something different. Mike Dyer run to seal National Championship, Kam Pettway had a great year for us. Duke had one good year for us and Sean White played well when JJ was not producing. 

I agree Gus is much better recruiting his kind of people but some of these guys who did not pan out long term helped us short term. Without Dyer we may not get the National Championship.

I didn't say they didn't help us out short term. But Dyer is the only one we won anything with. And only because he was a freshman surrounded by veteran leadership. The other guys gave us a little bit on the field but they were parts of pretty flawed teams- probably not much of a coincidence- and left us in pretty bad spots when they left early. And Duke in 2014 is the only one of them to give us something truly special that wouldn't have been replicated by any top-flight recruit in their place. 

There's no reason Auburn should be settling. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If Gus was wasn't on the hot he wouldn't be after this kid. That is the whole point. 

I don't want to hear you or others defending this then turn around and say something negative about Trooper, Looper, DC or Thig. Never again. 

I have no problem bring this kid in but that isn't how Gus opertares. Well till he feet are in the fire and he is desperate. Funny how character works isn't it. We see Gus's side right here. 

No one really new what a problem that guy was. 

5 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

No one really new what a problem that guy was. 

Thig?  What did he do?  I'm sure he negative recruited against us pretty hard after he left...but other than that?

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Otis Mounds. First step in the Dillard pipeline that brought a lot of talent to Auburn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, fredst said:

Otis Mounds. First step in the Dillard pipeline that brought a lot of talent to Auburn

Wasn't he the one that got paged during halftime to report to the locker room due to a couple of injuries to running backs?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We seem soft because of our coach. Players take on the mentality of their head coach. That is why gus can never reach and get the respect of alpha personalities like duke William's, jovon Robinson etc.

Every time I see the picture of Gus and his sports car, I think that poor thing probably never has gone over 70 miles per hour, never done a burn out and will be able to be sold one day with the old add that says, "Grandma only drove it to church on Sundays."

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Wasn't he the one that got paged during halftime to report to the locker room due to a couple of injuries to running backs?

Definitely got paged out of stands at half but can’t remember circumstances 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Every time I see the picture of Gus and his sports car, I think that poor thing probably never has gone over 70 miles per hour, never done a burn out and will be able to be sold one day with the old add that says, "Grandma only drove it to church on Sundays."

And waffle house. 🧇

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Definitely got paged out of stands at half but can’t remember circumstances 

Wait what? Somebody tell me this story? Feel free to post elsewhere dont mean to derail this wonderful conversation

39 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Wait what? Somebody tell me this story? Feel free to post elsewhere dont mean to derail this wonderful conversation

Otis Mounds was scheduled for a redshirt year. Two RB's got hurt and Mounds was called on the stadium loudspeaker to come out of the stands and report to the locker room. He did go suit up but he wasn't needed so he didn't actually play in the game.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Otis Mounds was scheduled for a redshirt year. Two RB's got hurt and Mounds was called on the stadium loudspeaker to come out of the stands and report to the locker room. He did go suit up but he wasn't needed so he didn't actually play in the game.

And, ended up as a pretty good safety on the undefeated 93 team I believe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredst said:

And, ended up as a pretty good safety on the undefeated 93 team I believe

And ended up a better person as well.  Otis has really helped many kids back in South Florida.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, bigbird said:

It always was going to be. TAMU coaches want this one badly. One of the assistants told me that Jimbo takes this game very personally. He acknowledges their slow start cost them last year and he is determined not to let that happen again. 

I guess he was right

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Thig?  What did he do?  I'm sure he negative recruited against us pretty hard after he left...but other than that?

He is known for bullying recruits into commiting

I'll clown Trooper because he was a poor coach. It's not the recruiting or the towel waving or stuff like that. It's doing the actual job on his resume. There's a reason he was stuck at Arkansas State coaching a different position for five years before getting called back up to Power 5. Good recruiter. Seems like a decent enough guy. Mediocre at best coach. Or at least he was eight years ago. I haven't followed Duke enough to tell you how he's doing now.