Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

42 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, it's just part of the game.  Don't care one bit.  We one, got him, and won a natty.  That's what matters

Yet, he wouldn't have achieved any of the things he achieved without the non superstars on that team doing their part.

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Yet, he wouldn't have achieved any of the things he achieved without the non superstars on that team doing their part.

OK?

That team would have gone 7-5 if Neil Caudle was named the QB.

Edited by W.E.D

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, before the UGA game we essentially told the NCAA to go f'k themselves and it worked.

We literally invited the NCAA investigators to campus and assisted them in gathering financial documents and interviews from over 50 people and organizations.  We could not have been more cooperative than we were. Guiding us thru that was a work of art accomplished by Rich McGlynn and Jay Jacobs.  In fact, for all of their faults people point out, that situation was handled professionally and it paid off in the end.

• Like 4

I've been fortunate enough to travel to different parts of the world and something I found interesting, in my experience, was talking sports with locals and there is a common theme of how people who have never heard of the NCAA or the amateurism model can't even wrap their head around it.

You show them how big college sports are and the packed stadiums and the crazy high production value of the broadcasts with corporate sponsors and how these athletes being broadcast to millions of people  but the participants aren't allowed a single dime from all the money coming in and they just can't understand it. Even after explaining, "well they don't have to pay for college and get free books and a dorm and meals" and the general response is more confusion because of the insane amount of money being generated. Eventually you just land on "well that's just how it's always been". And IMO that's a terrible reason to keep doing anything.

Edited by Tiger

On 6/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, jluvah said:

College football as we know it will not exist in 5 years( probably less). I think it will separate into 2 systems- A “ minor league” for the NFL where “ students “ aren’t really students but play for a school. Those schoools will be the Alabama’s, Clemsons, Ohio States, Oklahoma’s , Georgia’s, etc. where the fan base is all about winning and chest-thumping. The other will be the schools where an education is first and sports second. Probably the Norte Dames,  Georgia Tech’s, Stanford’s,etc . I hope Auburn chooses the latter. I have 4 kids. Two have graduated from Auburn and 2 are currently enrolled there. One was on the dance line and one is in the band now. They love Auburn and want the team to win, but don’t love Auburn less when we don’t. Keeps it in perspective for their dad that it’s just a game

I am so conflicted about all this.

Look, I agree that universities are getting vastly too outlandish with the types of frills they build. But the mentality that some of our fans have that we shouldn't be "about winning and chest-thumping" irritates me. If that's the case, let's just board up our entire athletic program right now.

That being said, the sport has been noticeably less fun since the playoff era began. And that's not just because of wins and losses--even during 2014 pre-11/8 and November 2017, everything's felt so much more corporate. Nationally I just don't see the same organic passion for the game that there once was.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I am so conflicted about all this.

Look, I agree that universities are getting vastly too outlandish with the types of frills they build. But the mentality that some of our fans have that we shouldn't be "about winning and chest-thumping" irritates me. If that's the case, let's just board up our program right now.

That being said, the sport has been noticeably less fun since the playoff era began. And that's not just because of wins and losses--even during 2014 pre-11/8 and November 2017, something felt...off.

What felt off was the roller coaster ride we were being forced to ride. 

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Maybe, but once again...even during the part of 2014 where we were ranked in the top 4, the magic just wasn't there. 

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Maybe, but once again...even during the part of 2014 where we were ranked in the top 4, the magic just wasn't there.

2013 might have something to do with it....it's hard to replicate the feeling we had as fans after the last two regular season games. It's not an excuse it's just a possibility. Personally I'm more worried about the deconstruction of college athletics and the creation of a minor league for everyone. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

2013 might have something to do with it....it's hard to replicate the feeling we had as fans after the last two regular season games. It's not an excuse it's just a possibility. Personally I'm more worried about the deconstruction of college athletics and the creation of a minor league for everyone. 

The 2010-14 realignment, while fun for those first couple years, ultimately ruined the sport IMO.

Edited by AUwent

Reading more of the Justice's comments; over the long term, I don't see how the NCAA maintains much control at all over it's members.  The Court doesn't really recognize "amateurism" as anything that matters in the context of Anti-trust laws.  So what will the NCAA's role be? 

Expect more suits from athletes going after other areas of compensation.  If Congress doesn't act like in baseball; NCAA will have to drastically reform, establish comp rules that the conferences buy-in to and that meet each new legal challenge; the current case one is pretty narrow relative to where all this can go; or the P5 conferences will have go their own way to maintain anything that resembles the current format.   Not gonna happen tomorrow; but the clock is ticking.  

Not expecting an NFL minor league; that's already been tried...those leagues never last.  But maybe the lack of structure and directly competing with the NFL had as much to do with that as anything.  And if it does come to that; well, College Baseball has never been more popular, so a minor league obviously could work well alongside NCAA and NFL football.

I feel like Gus is more to blame for anyone's waning interest or passion than anything changing within the sport. If we were making the CFP or at least a realistic threat to make it, the excitement would still be there. This has nothing to do with realignment, players making money, or anything like that IMO

Maybe I'm projecting my own feelings out there on others but Gus' mediocrity beat it out of me. It had nothing to do with the sport catching up with the times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

That being said, the sport has been noticeably less fun since the playoff era began.

I think NCAA feels this and why they are expanding the playoffs. ALSO MONEY.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Coming off a magical undefeated/Heisman winner/NC season will dampen the mood for the fans the following year unless you're a bama fan right now, where they know their team will be in NC hunt every year.   

3 hours ago, japantiger said:

Reading more of the Justice's comments; over the long term, I don't see how the NCAA maintains much control at all over it's members.  The Court doesn't really recognize "amateurism" as anything that matters in the context of Anti-trust laws.  So what will the NCAA's role be? 

Expect more suits from athletes going after other areas of compensation.  If Congress doesn't act like in baseball; NCAA will have to drastically reform, establish comp rules that the conferences buy-in to and that meet each new legal challenge; the current case one is pretty narrow relative to where all this can go; or the P5 conferences will have go their own way to maintain anything that resembles the current format.   Not gonna happen tomorrow; but the clock is ticking.  

Not expecting an NFL minor league; that's already been tried...those leagues never last.  But maybe the lack of structure and directly competing with the NFL had as much to do with that as anything.  And if it does come to that; well, College Baseball has never been more popular, so a minor league obviously could work well alongside NCAA and NFL football.

Congress will need to pass an anti trust exception for collegiate athletics.  They are working on that now behind the scenes.  When that happens, NCAA member schools will be able to legally operate a monopoly and regulate its membership.  That may sound bad, but it really isn't if the goal is to preserve college athletics in some way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Cam most certainly got paid by Auburn, 100%

This might be your most ridiculous statement on this board so far… and that’s saying something. 😝 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Coming off a magical undefeated/Heisman winner/NC season will dampen the mood for the fans the following year unless you're a bama fan right now, where they know their team will be in NC hunt every year.   

1. Tre didn't win the Heisman in 2013 and we didn't go undefeated.

2. We were #3 headed into THAT game--two months into the season. Not like we lost our entire team after 2013 like after 2010.

3. FSU, tOSU, and Clemson all went into the season after winning the NC ranked in the top 5.

@Tiger: Hoping we didn't take Gus for granted and won't be missing him in a few years.

Edited by AUwent

12 hours ago, autigeremt said:

We have been getting back in line for that mind bender since at least Dye's last couple of years. Bowden was nearly unstoppable for a couple of years. Tuberville started slow, but was fortunate to get bama during their most unstable years in recent memory.  He almost gets canned and then goes undefeated, only to follow that by some very average seasons. In comes Chizik & Malzahn.  Both took us higher than we had been in over 50 years.  Chizik followed that 2 years later with an epic collapse, ushering in our worst SEC record in the history of the SEC.  Malzahn returns and resurrects the glory, has a couple more flashes in 2017 and is Joe average otherwise.  That leads us to where we are now.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 9:51 PM, JuscAUse! said:

I have read this thread for a day or two and held my tongue. I've tried to see all sides. My sister works for a lawyer, so I know this ruling and NIL is here and it's not going away.  It bothers me that some people in a discussion are so rude for no reason, but whatever. There are two points I would like to make. My son was going to AU. We were doing work finding an apartment, etc. He got a call from a DIII school at literally the last minute, wanting him to play football, with a partial academic scholarship. When we crunched the numbers, he could have gone to either of the state schools much cheaper than the private school.  He didn't want to quit football, so I bit the bullet. His coach came from a group of 5 school and his practice routine was exactly like the school the coach came from. So my son PAID to play. Because he loved it. It was a great decision, and he had a great time, as did his parents. However, if he had had his education paid for by the school, that would have been far from nothing, and a great help to us as a family. If his meals and room and board had been paid for, I'm doing cartwheels. We're talking thousands of dollars, whether at his school or AU or any other school in the state. So to act like these guys are slaves is not accurate. I have no problem with a stipend or some other way to share the wealth, and if a major business in the state wants to take a chance with a 19-21 year old as the face of his company, then go for it. I just hope the kid has more sense than I did at that age, or that could be a mistake....😆😆. I will always be an AU fan, and that won't change.  But I watched kids "sacrifice" because they loved it, and loved being on the team. And there was something different about that. They didn't have the ability to play at AU, but they would have appreciated all the perks. Extra bucks or no bucks.

The whole sham is a product of today’s entitlement mentality, pure and simple. It’s easier to give in than to GAS.

34 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I disagree with everybody. 

I disagree with your disagreement 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

The whole sham is a product of today’s entitlement mentality, pure and simple. It’s easier to give in than to GAS.

They are entitled to the revenue they produce? 

That's very smart 🤪

A major problem with this and the NIL concept is that Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby and Owen Pappoe will do very well indeed. Grant Loy, Devan Barrett and Kameron Brown, not so much.

Anyone who thinks these hot-shot players have agents/handlers/parents that will allow them to give their earnings away to less well-known teammates is living in La-La Land.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A major problem with this and the NIL concept is that Bo Nix, Tank Bigsby and Owen Pappoe will do very well indeed. Grant Loy, Devan Barrett and Kameron Brown, not so much.

Anyone who thinks these hot-shot players have agents/handlers/parents that will allow them to give their earnings away to less well-known teammates is living in La-La Land.

Happens all the time in the NFL with players who have much bigger egos. Oh btw , believe it or not, players who did get benefits in the past absolutely hooked their teammates up. It was well documented in the “U” when uncle Luke would hand off cash, jewelry , etc guys like Irvin would allow his roommates to wear it at the club or  distribute cash for food. Get with the times. It has already been happening.