Harsin: Firing Williams couldn't wait

WFE12

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

That's a bull**** narrative drummed up by Hoke and other beat writers

It may be, but Harsin's words today didn't exactly negate it in any way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR said:

I just have a hard time believing this couldn't have been handled after the season if it had to be done. And Williams was supposed to be a big asset in recruiting in Alabama and the southeast in general. Recruiting hasn't been a strong suit for this staff thus far and this roster is in dire need of a talent upgrade. And when it's time to hire assistant coach not from Boise are they going to be willing to take the plunge after seeing how Williams was disposed of?

Well when you are the CEO of a company and you want things done a certain way, you have to make the tough calls. People wanted an alpha male that was not afraid to change QBs, get rid of staff, make decisions. Well Harsin is not afraid to hurt feelings or make decisions. I have no idea if it was the correct decision because I was not in the room, but he is the man in charge and it is his right. Like I said earlier, he can either lead us to higher Waters or go down with the ship. 

• Like 8

Just now, AU9377 said:

He was never going to. It was always going to be a carefully worded statement either way. 

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well when you are the CEO of a company and you want things done a certain way, you have to make the tough calls. People wanted an alpha male that was not afraid to change QBs, get rid of staff, make decisions. Well Harsin is not afraid to hurt feelings or make decisions. I have no idea if it was the correct decision because I was not in the room, but he is the man in charge and it is his right. Like I said earlier, he can either lead us to higher Waters or go down with the ship. 

LOL.. others just weren't "alpha" enough?  Right.    You have to earn the right to do whatever you want. A CEO answers to a board just like a head coach answers to many people above his pay grade.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Dude is either in denial or seriously lacks awareness. Maybe that's part of his problem. 

45 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Yep..if I were Green, I would have a discussion with him and the Marketing team on the communications on something this important.  There should have been a plan and a formal message released...that would have been the end of it.  Write the script and everyone follows the script.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Only other position group I feel has played bad enough to warrant firing the position coach is DL. They've all been inconsistent. But WR and DL have been abysmal. 

Maybe...we have transfers in the middle. The ends need to pick it up. I hope Pegues gets an opportunity

• Like 1

What do we do if the receivers still suck with the nobody Boise State assistant 

What do we do it the team looks as under talented and out of place as you’d expect against UGA, Alabama, Ole Miss??

I understand sending a message and trying to press the button, but this is incredibly short sighted and has a ridiculously high chance to blow up in your face whether you make further firings or sit on your hands and allow the other disturbingly under coached positions drown 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Secondary has shown some positives. The O line has too. The DL even had some positives in the first 2 cupcakes games. But receivers haven't shown anything good IMO except for the emergence of Kobe these past 2 games.

Yeah the secondary got 2 pick 6’s but other than that the best contributions from our secondary hasn’t even been on defense, it’s been on special teams from Nehemiah Pritchett. 

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Harsin said that there was no reason to point to/.

He’s a good man and did a very good job for us,” Harsin said of Williams at his weekly press conference Monday. “Showed up every day and worked, very professional. And I felt like for us now moving forward in things — not just at the wide-receiver position, but for our staff and some of the things we feel we need to do and I feel we need to do — needed changed.

“So I appreciated everything he did for us while he was here, and I appreciate his family. He’s a good young coach and certainly looking forward to the things that will happen for him in the future.”

He may think he's a good man but he didn't appreciate everything he did

Well if “doing a very good job for us” gets your a$$ canned, I’d hate to see what happens to the guy who did a very sucky job for us. :) 

7 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well if “doing a very good job for us” gets your a$$ canned, I’d hate to see what happens to the guy who did a very sucky job for us. :) 

Lol. That's everybody else. They are still coaching! But after seeing this, they'll get in line! They'll try harder

• Like 1

This is not just about running the right route, and catching the ball. When you're WRs are constantly late entering the game, NOT lining up properly, and causing false start penalties. ALL of those things happened in the last game alone. These were major distractions for Finley to deal with trying to get the offense moving. Who knows? Maybe Bo had to deal with the same thing during his entire tenure as the starter and the average fan didn't notice until it was obvious Saturday. This is basic stuff that should be a thing of the past by now and it wasn't. No coach gets the ax for 1 bad game. These problems had to be percolating since the start of fall camp. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

This is not just about running the right route, and catching the ball. When you're WRs are constantly late entering the game, NOT lining up properly, and causing false start penalties. ALL of those things happened in the last game alone. These were major distractions for Finley to deal with trying to get the offense moving. Who knows? Maybe Bo had to deal with the same thing during his entire tenure as the starter and the average fan didn't notice until it was obvious Saturday. This is basic stuff that should be a thing of the past by now and it wasn't. No coach gets the ax for 1 bad game. These problems had to be percolating since the start of fall camp. 

Can you tell me when this happen? I'd like to go look. I don't know how I missed all of these mistakes

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Can you tell me when this happen? I'd like to go look. I don't know how I missed all of these mistakes

I know how I would have missed them....

that70s-show-drinking.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Don't read too much into that. Could simply be professional courtesy. Most people aren't going to publicly blast a guy they just left go. 

But I also don't think he would have gone out of his way to say "very professional" if that were a lie. I don't think there was a disagreement or incident after listening to Harsin. I think he just really, really disliked the job the guy was doing.

Things are not going well on offense as a whole. The BoBo experience may be more challenging to CBH than he originally thought. He wanted some familiarity with what has worked for him for a long time. He thinks he can incorporate that into the offense from this position change rather than removing Bobo. It’s probably also more costly to remove the OC per contract. I hate it for Williams but I’ll take 600k and play golf for a couple years right now. Anyway that’s better than insubordination, which I originally suspected. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

Go back and watch Finley's TD drive, twice he had to motion to the sidelines (maybe on back to back plays) to get another WR on the field.  I know one time Newton ran on late (dont think he was meant to be in on the play)

• Like 1

Just now, AubieinNC2009 said:

Go back and watch Finley's TD drive, twice he had to motion to the sidelines (maybe on back to back plays) to get another WR on the field.  I know one time Newton ran on late (dont think he was meant to be in on the play)

I did. I know the one play you speak of I'm trying find the countless others

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I did. I know the one play you speak of I'm trying find the countless others

I think another happened a few plays later, also I think I remember once with Bo but not sure when.  In all honesty, dont think any coach on the team is cutting it right now, and he had a WR coach that he trusts sitting as an analyst so that is why he made the change.

While it might have been crazy in the past to fire a coach after 4 games, Ohio St demoted there DC after 2

• Like 1

Just now, AubieinNC2009 said:

I think another happened a few plays later, also I think I remember once with Bo but not sure when.  In all honesty, dont think any coach on the team is cutting it right now, and he had a WR coach that he trusts sitting as an analyst so that is why he made the change.

While it might have been crazy in the past to fire a coach after 4 games, Ohio St demoted there DC after 2

Yeah I just wish I could find them which is way beyond the point mind you. But you're right about all the coaches....there are plenty of mistakes besides a few late wr's . Mistakes that actually effected the game

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Who knew the WR coach had such a loyal following lol 

Nah that would be any coach when the ENTIRE team is horrible and then one has to go. I actually didn't even know who he was. After seeing his picture I've actually talked to him in a restaurant before. 

This could be the special team coach and I would still ask a question. It's amazing how guys can come here and can be accused then discarded and people be perfectly fine actually

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol. That's everybody else. They are still coaching! But after seeing this, they'll get in line! They'll try harder

Or they will just show up and go thru the motions while looking for a landing spot...